Yanking derivatives shouldn't be integral to your business

thoreau

Re: Yanking derivatives shouldn't be integral to your busine

Post by thoreau » 15 Jan 2016, 12:15

Khan Academy wants to patent the scientific method.

https://www.insidehighered.com/news/201 ... -education
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

Taktix®

Post by Taktix® » 15 Jan 2016, 14:04

Random thought that didn't have a home until this thread fortuitously popped up:

How boring is the internet going to be once large content producers realize they can be going after internet memes using copyrighted images?
"Guilty as charged. Go ahead and ban me from the mall." - Ellie

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 15 Jan 2016, 15:47

Taktix[REGISTERED SIGN] wrote:Random thought that didn't have a home until this thread fortuitously popped up:

How boring is the internet going to be once large content producers realize they can be going after internet memes using copyrighted images?
The fair use wars have seem to swung around to more permissive use, if some longstanding youtube accounts are any indication. (In that the battle was fought there pretty strongly about halfway between its birth and the present day)
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Highway

Post by Highway » 15 Jan 2016, 15:48

It really depends on the content holder, I think.

I think that the memes would be easier to end run around any copyright issues.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 15 Jan 2016, 16:24

Taktix® wrote:Random thought that didn't have a home until this thread fortuitously popped up:

Luckily it will cost too much to do so (who are you going to sue and how?). Also most memes are parodies/editorials which is usually protected by fair use laws.

That being said there needs to be a rethinking/paradigm shift/sea change/other buzzword on IP in general.

nicole

Post by nicole » 15 Jan 2016, 16:41

I am never going to remember that this thread isn't about financial instruments.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 15 Jan 2016, 18:35

You think you have problems there ...

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 15 Jan 2016, 18:47

When I think of business models that involving yanking it, I think mostly about the film industry (one sector in particular for content, and all sectors for how roles are obtained). Finance doesn't register.
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

Highway

Re: Yanking derivatives shouldn't be integral to your business

Post by Highway » 08 Jan 2018, 21:56

To our surprise, there seemed to be universal agreement that another copyright extension was unlikely to be on the agenda this year.

"We are not aware of any such efforts, and it's not something we are pursuing," an RIAA spokesman told us when we asked about legislation to retroactively extend copyright terms.

"While copyright term has been a longstanding topic of conversation in policy circles, we are not aware of any legislative proposals to address the issue," the MPAA told us.
And even some content creators aren't keen on ever-longer copyright terms. The Authors Guild, for example, "does not support extending the copyright term, especially since many of our members benefit from having access to a thriving and substantial public domain of older works," a Guild spokeswoman told Ars in an email. "If anything, we would likely support a rollback to a term of life-plus-50 if it were politically feasible."
It seems increasingly unlikely that the period of copyright will be extended in the US this year, which will result in a 95 year copyright period as set by the 1998 legislation. Personally, given a choice of 95 years or "Life-plus-50" I would guess that a lot of works would enter public domain faster at 95 years.

Now to get to work on expanding fair use.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Warren

Post by Warren » 08 Jan 2018, 22:47

That's good news Highway.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 08 Jan 2018, 23:26

Highway wrote:
08 Jan 2018, 21:56
To our surprise, there seemed to be universal agreement that another copyright extension was unlikely to be on the agenda this year.

"We are not aware of any such efforts, and it's not something we are pursuing," an RIAA spokesman told us when we asked about legislation to retroactively extend copyright terms.

"While copyright term has been a longstanding topic of conversation in policy circles, we are not aware of any legislative proposals to address the issue," the MPAA told us.
And even some content creators aren't keen on ever-longer copyright terms. The Authors Guild, for example, "does not support extending the copyright term, especially since many of our members benefit from having access to a thriving and substantial public domain of older works," a Guild spokeswoman told Ars in an email. "If anything, we would likely support a rollback to a term of life-plus-50 if it were politically feasible."
It seems increasingly unlikely that the period of copyright will be extended in the US this year, which will result in a 95 year copyright period as set by the 1998 legislation. Personally, given a choice of 95 years or "Life-plus-50" I would guess that a lot of works would enter public domain faster at 95 years.

Now to get to work on expanding fair use.
That is good to see. I was worried there wasn't ever going to be a strong challenge to the copyright lobby.