It doesn't matter if you're black or white

Mo

Re: It doesn't matter if you're black or white

Post by Mo » 24 Jan 2019, 04:47

My observation is that there are a higher proportion of interracial couples in the UK than you would find in the US (and my comp is London to NY/LA, so it's a fair comparison). London is ~15% black and what you'll typically find is the British nationals are more likely to be in interracial relationships and the immigrants are more likely to marry within their communities.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 24 Jan 2019, 11:44

Ellie wrote:
23 Jan 2019, 18:03
I watch a lot of British mysteries and murder shows, because of course I do, with the occasional modern Doctor Who thrown in. A few years ago I noticed appreciatively that there were often couples with one black person and one white person, which I feel like you rarely see on American TV. But lately I've noticed that when a British show has a black character, they're ALWAYS married to a white person, or if they're younger, they have a white parent. Showing a relationship between two black people is practically nonexistent. I'm curious what contributes to the difference between the two. (Or maybe it's all bad data and confirmation bias on my part, I dunno.)
Chef! had a black/black couple, but that was going on 25 years ago now. Doctor Who's most recent mixed-race couple had the woman as black and the man as white. Mickey and Rose as mentioned above were the other way 'round.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 24 Jan 2019, 13:53

Ellie wrote:
23 Jan 2019, 18:03
I watch a lot of British mysteries and murder shows, because of course I do, with the occasional modern Doctor Who thrown in. A few years ago I noticed appreciatively that there were often couples with one black person and one white person, which I feel like you rarely see on American TV. But lately I've noticed that when a British show has a black character, they're ALWAYS married to a white person, or if they're younger, they have a white parent. Showing a relationship between two black people is practically nonexistent. I'm curious what contributes to the difference between the two. (Or maybe it's all bad data and confirmation bias on my part, I dunno.)
In the Doctor Who (nu-who) universe, both of Martha Jones parents are black, and I believe both of Mickey's are too (trying to remember if we saw everybody in the alternate universe). Though to your point in the very latest iteration, the old white guy in the companion group is married to a black woman (both of them on at least their second marriage). Though as well, that's sorta a plot point/point of contention with the black woman's (adult) grandson.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 06 Apr 2019, 19:28

Despite being guilty of two felonies, Nkechi Diallo (formerly Rachel Dolezal) was only sentenced to community service plus the requirement to pay back the money she scammed from the welfare people.

See? I TOLD you she was white!

https://www.stamfordadvocate.com/news/c ... 744442.php
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b