It doesn't matter if you're black or white

Aresen

Re: It doesn't matter if you're black or white

Post by Aresen » 02 Aug 2017, 09:40

nicole wrote:
02 Aug 2017, 09:18
I'm pretty sure this is just an argument against all annotation http://reallifemag.com/poetic-license/
It seems to be an argument against capitalism with emphasis on identity politics.

TBS, I remember a journal called Quill and Quire whose entire purpose was to ferret out the meaning of every phrase and reference contained in literature.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 02 Aug 2017, 10:30

I got about a third of the way into that before I realized that I would never know what it was actually about.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 02 Aug 2017, 10:49

Hugh Akston wrote:
02 Aug 2017, 10:30
I got about a third of the way into that before I realized that I would never know what it was actually about.
:lol: :lol:
"NB stands for nota bene do not @ me" - nicole

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 02 Aug 2017, 12:40

nicole wrote:
I'm pretty sure this is just an argument against all annotation http://reallifemag.com/poetic-license/
In one of the posts related to the current stupid nontroversy in comics, a smug post was circulated with a comic of a white woman sipping tea and saying something pithy. Of course, she had chopsticks in her hair, so I was very tempted to say "nice cultural appropriation" to be a dick, but I stopped myself.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

nicole

Post by nicole » 02 Aug 2017, 12:51

Sandy wrote:
02 Aug 2017, 12:40
nicole wrote:
In one of the posts related to the current stupid nontroversy in comics, a smug post was circulated with a comic of a white woman sipping tea and saying something pithy. Of course, she had chopsticks in her hair, so I was very tempted to say "nice cultural appropriation" to be a dick, but I stopped myself.
You talking about the milkshake thing? One of my bffs was in that photo lol.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

Sandy

Post by Sandy » 02 Aug 2017, 12:55

nicole wrote:
02 Aug 2017, 12:51
Sandy wrote:
02 Aug 2017, 12:40
nicole wrote:
You talking about the milkshake thing? One of my bffs was in that photo lol.
Yeah. Kinda weird how everybody at Marvel with the title "Editor" is male and everyone "Assistant Editor" is female, but they're the woke bunch fighting harassment of like, three salty tweets.

ETA: If your BFF is on Gwenpool, that's one of the few current books that actually looks interesting to me. Bravo.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 07 Aug 2017, 16:52

Somebody's gonna get a PhD out this: Proctor & Gamble make a non-ad-ad about the Talk, conservatives flip the fuck out.

"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

nicole

Post by nicole » 15 Aug 2017, 12:44

TW: may cause blindness from excessive eyerolling

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 15 Aug 2017, 12:59

All these people should be fired. Terrible optics. Employer looks bad. Who would want to work with white men that think they can buy and sell their coworkers because of the color of their skin? It's a lawsuit waiting to happen. Stupid in a no stupid zone.

Mo

Post by Mo » 15 Aug 2017, 13:26

Pretty sure guys like Tom Brady and Greg Olsen are white.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Sandy

Post by Sandy » 15 Aug 2017, 15:44

Mo wrote:
15 Aug 2017, 13:26
Pretty sure guys like Tom Brady and Greg Olsen are white.
STFU with your false "the Irish were slaves too!" equivalence. God, white people like you make me sick.

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 15 Aug 2017, 15:58

You can't expect potential employees/players to see that nuance from the outside! The presenters of the skit should have considered their audience, and the effect on the minority players who are hoping to get drafted someday.

Mo

Post by Mo » 15 Aug 2017, 16:15

Boy, Hogan went from "political correctness run amok*" to remove the Taney statue (today) pretty quickly.

* Post-Roof
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

Mo

Post by Mo » 15 Aug 2017, 16:31

Also, it would seem that there's an odd coincidence of the two statues in the news this week were erected (he he) in 1924. Interestingly, Moore v. Dempsey, which allowed for federal review of state cases to ensure that (black) defendants were given their constitutional rights, was decided in 1923 and in 1923 and 1924 there were two major anti-lynching laws that were filibustered in the Senate. Also, the second wave of the KKK came out around then. There was a lot of civil rights action (and associated backlash) back then.

Highway

Post by Highway » 15 Aug 2017, 16:33

Mo wrote:
15 Aug 2017, 16:15
Boy, Hogan went from "political correctness run amok*" to remove the Taney statue (today) pretty quickly.

* Post-Roof
He's nothing if not a well-oiled weathervane.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Warren

Post by Warren » 15 Aug 2017, 17:13

Fuuuu... Both sides scare the shit out of me. And it seems to be getting worse in the sense of 'if you're not with us, you're against us' and 'everyone must pick a side'.
The value of peer review lies substantially in the nature of one's peers. - that Ridgely guy

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 15 Aug 2017, 17:18

Highway wrote:
15 Aug 2017, 16:33
Mo wrote:
15 Aug 2017, 16:15

* Post-Roof
He's nothing if not a well-oiled weathervane.
He's also the most popular governor (or maybe in the top 3) in the US according to one recent poll I read.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

fyodor

Post by fyodor » 18 Aug 2017, 11:25

Don't know where the best place is for this, but...

Can anyone explain to me what the neo-Nazis/Confederates/white supremacists in Charlottesville meant when they were chanting, "We won't be replaced by Jews"? (If not the exact correct wording, pretty close. Definitely included "replaced".)

Are they worried about Jewish pod people? Jews taking their jerbs? The latter seems unlikely as everyone knows Jews are all bankers and media moguls.

I guess maybe Jews just taking over the country? That just seems like a weird way to express that. Not that these folks are anything if not weird, but still, seems "We won't be ruled by Jews" would make a whole lotta more sense for that. Why are they worried about Jews "replacing" them??

Maybe Jennifer knows, through her observations of dem folks?
Your optimism just confuses and enrages me. - Timothy

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 18 Aug 2017, 11:36

fyodor wrote:
18 Aug 2017, 11:25

Can anyone explain to me what the neo-Nazis/Confederates/white supremacists in Charlottesville meant when they were chanting, "We won't be replaced by Jews"? (If not the exact correct wording, pretty close. Definitely included "replaced".)

Are they worried about Jewish pod people? Jews taking their jerbs? The latter seems unlikely as everyone knows Jews are all bankers and media moguls.

I guess maybe Jews just taking over the country? That just seems like a weird way to express that. Not that these folks are anything if not weird, but still, seems "We won't be ruled by Jews" would make a whole lotta more sense for that. Why are they worried about Jews "replacing" them??

Maybe they were just noting the fact that its highly unlikely Jews will join their movement in large numbers and take their places at marches. I mean, it's a thought.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 18 Aug 2017, 11:36

"Jews won't replace us".

And fuck if I know. Unless it's that your people, from their perch controlling the world, are having white men replaced?
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

nicole

Post by nicole » 18 Aug 2017, 11:42

fyodor wrote:
18 Aug 2017, 11:25

The answer to your question can be found at 3:44

MJGreen

Post by MJGreen » 18 Aug 2017, 11:43

It started as "You won't replace us," then "Jews won't replace us."

It's a pun?

Sandy

Post by Sandy » 18 Aug 2017, 11:43

Jews was allegedly the subject, not the object of the sentence. Though most places have said it was "You will not replace us" and not "Jews will not replace us."

It's the old MUH HUWAIT GENOCIDE argument, which to be fair, Democrats have been treating as the source of History moving in their direction: at some point, white people will no longer be a majority in the US. The idea is that Democrats don't have to appeal to white people, because as long as they have a lock on non-white people, they will win by default from that point forward. Somehow the alt-right have turned this into a conspiracy to reduce the threatening breeding power of muh racial purity and "demographically replace" them.

Of course, they're both wrong, as most immigrants assimilate and start to reflect the distribution of people in the US in pretty much every measure the farther they get from the original immigrant generation. So "western values" won't go away just because the people here are mostly darker than Irishmen, and Democrats will not become a majority party simply by counting on brown people to stay on their plantation.

nicole

Post by nicole » 18 Aug 2017, 11:44

It was both. They changed both "You will not replace us" and "Jews will not replace us"

Have you guys not watched the vice doc yet?

Sandy

Post by Sandy » 18 Aug 2017, 12:07

nicole wrote:
18 Aug 2017, 11:44
It was both. They changed both "You will not replace us" and "Jews will not replace us"

Have you guys not watched the vice doc yet?
I watched the part you mentioned, and didn't hear the chant. Just the guy's views on Jews, which...yeah, he's a white supremacist/nazi/whatever, am I supposed to be surprised he is an anti-Semite? That's kinda their thing.

But I don't think that affects their motivation.