It doesn't matter if you're black or white

Highway

It doesn't matter if you're black or white

Post by Highway » 12 Jun 2015, 14:50

I don't know if they'll walk it back, or do something quietly to move her out of the position, but I have to say that I like the NAACP's regional response to this controversy about whether their Washington Branch President is black or not.
NAACP Spokane Washington Branch President Rachel Dolezal is enduring a legal issue with her family, and we respect her privacy in this matter. One’s racial identity is not a qualifying criteria or disqualifying standard for NAACP leadership. The NAACP Alaska-Oregon-Washington State Conference stands behind Ms. Dolezal’s advocacy record... [W]e encourage Americans of all stripes to become members and serve as leaders in our organization.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

thoreau

Re: Observations of the Random sort

Post by thoreau » 12 Jun 2015, 14:54

From what I have read about the woman, the problem is not that she is white but that she is a pathological liar.
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 12 Jun 2015, 15:00

thoreau wrote:From what I have read about the woman, the problem is not that she is white but that she is a pathological liar.
Is it pathological if you think you're lying for the greater good?
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

Highway

Post by Highway » 12 Jun 2015, 15:07

I don't know enough about the situation or the people involved. I just liked the message they put out.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 12 Jun 2015, 15:10

Highway wrote:I don't know enough about the situation or the people involved. I just liked the message they put out.
I think that's the proper organizational response to almost any social-media-politics kerfuffle: Sorry, not our business as long as they get the job done. And if you agree, come work for us!

JD

Post by JD » 12 Jun 2015, 15:21

I think the NAACP's response was good - after all, they have never demanded, nor should they, that all their members be Black. They should, however, be concerned that this member is mendacious at best and mentally disturbed at worst.
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 12 Jun 2015, 15:33

If the details in this article are accurate, then she is quite disturbed, filing false police reports about alleged hate crimes committed against her.

http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-new ... aacp-head/
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 12 Jun 2015, 15:52

Pretty disappointed that she didn't attend MIT nor work as a secret Navy Seal military contractor for the CIA.
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 12 Jun 2015, 16:08

dbcooper wrote:Pretty disappointed that she didn't attend MIT nor work as a secret Navy Seal military contractor for the CIA.
Supposedly she got an MA from Howard:

http://www.ewu.edu/csbssw/programs/afri ... el-dolezal
--Shem

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 12 Jun 2015, 16:12

That's not even a top 100 school! Terrible con woman.

When she kills herself, who will blame grantlant for revealing her real name?

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 12 Jun 2015, 16:25

IMHO, membership in the NAACP should be open to all but albinos if the name is any guide.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 12 Jun 2015, 16:26

dbcooper wrote:That's not even a top 100 school! Terrible con woman.

When she kills herself, who will blame grantlant for revealing her real name?
It's a more prestigious school in the opinion of many African Americans. It's their Harvard and even if many other schools are better endowed and have more generally prestigious faculty and more difficult admissions policies, etc. being a Howard grad confers entry to the African American upper class without the lingering suspicions that you've sold out.

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 12 Jun 2015, 16:37

I know some white, sorry, European Americans, sorry, oppressor Americans, who attended Howard on minority scholarships and who were rewarded with interviews for professorships under the assumption that most Howard grads are African Americans.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 12 Jun 2015, 17:36

tr0g wrote:
thoreau wrote:From what I have read about the woman, the problem is not that she is white but that she is a pathological liar.
Is it pathological if you think you're lying for the greater good?
Crazy is as crazy does, not as crazy intends.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 12 Jun 2015, 17:44

the innominate one wrote:I know some white, sorry, European Americans, sorry, oppressor Americans, who attended Howard on minority scholarships and who were rewarded with interviews for professorships under the assumption that most Howard grads are African Americans.
I knew a pale sort of person who attended Prairie View A&M. He once joked that everybody on campus knew who he was: the white guy in the engineering program.
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 12 Jun 2015, 18:02

Aresen wrote:IMHO, membership in the NAACP should be open to all but albinos if the name is any guide.
Half the founding members of the NAACP were white. In some accounts, it was the white member's initiative, they got WEB DuBois and the others to join in.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 12 Jun 2015, 18:08

Kolohe wrote:
Aresen wrote:IMHO, membership in the NAACP should be open to all but albinos if the name is any guide.
Half the founding members of the NAACP were white. In some accounts, it was the white member's initiative, they got WEB DuBois and the others to join in.
Also certain types of albinism are much more prevalent in people of sub-Saharan African descent.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 12 Jun 2015, 18:16

It does help clarify how they were able to find a black person in Spokane.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

holy shit there will never be an end until the sweet release of death (as dictated by the death panels, natch) - lunch

dhex

Post by dhex » 12 Jun 2015, 18:44

clark is really entertaining when he aims to be entertaining. far, far less so when he's on the butthurt culture war train.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 12 Jun 2015, 18:45

Kolohe wrote:
Bind yourself to the tree of woe for that terrible grammar.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 12 Jun 2015, 23:10

All those threats and hate letters she sent to herself are mentioned on her professor's biography page at the college where she teaches Africana studies.

http://sites.ewu.edu/diversity/professo ... l-dolezal/
During her experience as the Director for the Human Rights Education Institute, Doležal developed programs and curriculum that expanded the annual audience from 3,000 per year to 23,000 per year. She created world-class exhibits, coordinated cultural events, scheduled keynote speakers, organized panel discussions and began the Young Advocates for Human Rights summer training program. Her efforts were met with opposition by North Idaho white supremacy groups, including the Ku Klux Klan, the Neo Nazis and the Aryan Nations, and at least eight documented hate crimes targeted Doležal and her children during her residency in North Idaho.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 12 Jun 2015, 23:25

I guess once you go black, sometimes you do come back.

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 13 Jun 2015, 00:49

Jennifer wrote:All those threats and hate letters she sent to herself are mentioned on her professor's biography page at the college where she teaches Africana studies.

http://sites.ewu.edu/diversity/professo ... l-dolezal/
During her experience as the Director for the Human Rights Education Institute, Doležal developed programs and curriculum that expanded the annual audience from 3,000 per year to 23,000 per year. She created world-class exhibits, coordinated cultural events, scheduled keynote speakers, organized panel discussions and began the Young Advocates for Human Rights summer training program. Her efforts were met with opposition by North Idaho white supremacy groups, including the Ku Klux Klan, the Neo Nazis and the Aryan Nations, and at least eight documented hate crimes targeted Doležal and her children during her residency in North Idaho.
Even if every one of those hate crimes is true, it does not make her 'better' than others or validate her arguments. I have seen too many people who believe that persecution - whether real, perceived or imagined - validates their beliefs. The real persecution of the Mormons in Illinois before the trek west does not make their religion any more true. The real mockery of Sarah Palin on Salon does not make her less of an idiot.

The question in Dolezal's case was whether she furthered the objectives of the NAACP. By some measures, she did. If she has fibbed and faked, then she has probably done real harm to the organization.

/preaching to the choir
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 13 Jun 2015, 01:43

So, the question is whether she should be judged by the content of her character or the color of her skin?

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 13 Jun 2015, 06:18

This is the worst writing I've come across in years:

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2015/j ... overground