Stupid Clickbait Headlines You Have Fallen For

Hugh Akston

Stupid Clickbait Headlines You Have Fallen For

Post by Hugh Akston » 30 May 2015, 00:27

A thread for stupid clickbait hea...uh, you know the rest.

Nicki Minaj demands orgasms
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

Aresen

Re: Stupid Clickbait Headlines You Have Fallen For

Post by Aresen » 30 May 2015, 00:44

That would include just about any headline at Drudge.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 04 Jun 2015, 12:59

I fell for "$NUMBER of ways to give your kids a '70s summer" as seen around Facebook. It was moderately free range, which is good, but overall the tone was, "Unclench one of your fists from the control wheel of your kid's schedule! Now be sure to use that newly freed hand to pat yourself on the back for being the BEST PARENT EVAR." It's still investing way too much time and self-interest into your own parenting and how it measures up.

I have so far resisted the urge to check out the Thrillist "19 biggest mistakes to make in the Twin Cities" but I confess to a lot of curiosity. Sigh. Stupid clickbait.
"NB stands for nota bene do not @ me" - nicole

Highway

Post by Highway » 04 Jun 2015, 13:06

I fell for "The 9 Worst Cars ever made!!!111!!oneoneone". Basically, it was old cars that over the years got a reputation because they were plentiful, like the Pinto. The only one on the list that was actually a 'worst car ever made' was the Yugo, which is certainly the worst car sold in the US in the last 50 years, maybe ever.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Warren

Post by Warren » 04 Jun 2015, 13:59

Highway wrote:I fell for "The 9 Worst Cars ever made!!!111!!oneoneone". Basically, it was old cars that over the years got a reputation because they were plentiful, like the Pinto. The only one on the list that was actually a 'worst car ever made' was the Yugo, which is certainly the worst car sold in the US in the last 50 years, maybe ever.
The Pinto was the worst care ever because it has a propensity to burst into flame when rear-ended.
The value of peer review lies substantially in the nature of one's peers. - that Ridgely guy

Highway

Post by Highway » 04 Jun 2015, 14:11

Warren wrote:
Highway wrote:I fell for "The 9 Worst Cars ever made!!!111!!oneoneone". Basically, it was old cars that over the years got a reputation because they were plentiful, like the Pinto. The only one on the list that was actually a 'worst car ever made' was the Yugo, which is certainly the worst car sold in the US in the last 50 years, maybe ever.
The Pinto was the worst care ever because it has a propensity to burst into flame when rear-ended.
So did a lot of cars at the time. Didn't someone have a link here (commented as "how engineers think") talking about the Pinto and the guy who was in charge of Ford Recalls? And there really wasn't the data to support that the Pinto had some egregious design issue, based on accident results. Lots and lots of cars caught on fire when they were in an accident.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 04 Jun 2015, 17:03

Highway wrote:
Warren wrote:
So did a lot of cars at the time. Didn't someone have a link here (commented as "how engineers think") talking about the Pinto and the guy who was in charge of Ford Recalls? And there really wasn't the data to support that the Pinto had some egregious design issue, based on accident results. Lots and lots of cars caught on fire when they were in an accident.
But tragically none of them were carrying Ralph Nader at the time.

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 04 Jun 2015, 17:24

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
Highway wrote:
Warren wrote:
But tragically none of them were carrying Ralph Nader at the time.
Of course not, he was driving around in his Corvair.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 04 Jun 2015, 17:47

There's a mechanic's shop over by Little Fyodor's that advertises repairs of Fiats and Lancias.

The Lancia Beta gives the Yugo a run for its money. Except it's kinda pretty, but yeah.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Highway

Post by Highway » 04 Jun 2015, 17:50

lunchstealer wrote:There's a mechanic's shop over by Little Fyodor's that advertises repairs of Fiats and Lancias.

The Lancia Beta gives the Yugo a run for its money. Except it's kinda pretty, but yeah.
Isn't that the definition of a Lancia? "It's kinda pretty, but what a piece of crap..."

Number 6

Post by Number 6 » 04 Jun 2015, 22:02

Highway wrote:
lunchstealer wrote:There's a mechanic's shop over by Little Fyodor's that advertises repairs of Fiats and Lancias.

Isn't that the definition of a Lancia? "It's kinda pretty, but what a piece of crap..."
Stratos. Delta Integrale.

But otherwise, yeah.
" i discovered you eat dog dicks out of a bowl marked "dog dicks" because you're too stupid to remember where you left your bowl of dog dicks."-dhex, of course.
"Come, let us go forth and not rape together"-Jadagul

JD

Post by JD » 05 Jun 2015, 12:42

Highway wrote:
Warren wrote: The Pinto was the worst care ever because it has a propensity to burst into flame when rear-ended.
I think you're thinking of this story:
http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2015/ ... ers-lament

tl;dr version: The Pinto was slightly less safe in certain respects than other cars, and happened to be the victim mostly of bad timing.

The very high-profile accident was one in which a group of three teenage girls were in a stopped Pinto which was struck and caught fire. Of course, being struck by a 4000-pound van moving at 50 mph is not going to go well in any car, particularly any compact. But it was easier, more popular, and more profitable to blame Ford than to blame a dead teenage girl for stopping on the road for a non-emergency situation; or to blame the van driver for not looking where he was going and plowing into a stopped vehicle at 50 mph; or to blame the state highway department for failing to put any kind of usable shoulder on the road.

Choice quotes:
...most compacts of that era had fuel tanks behind the rear axle. A former head of the N.H.T.S.A. testified on Ford’s behalf, stating that in his opinion the Pinto’s design was no more or less safe than that of any other car in its class...

...the American Motors Gremlin, Chevrolet Vega, and Dodge Colt had their gas tanks behind the axle; that those cars had essentially the same bumpers; that the Vega had no body rails at all; that all four cars had somewhat similar distances from the tank to the rear bumper; that all of them had at least some sharp objects near the tank; and that the thickness of the gas tank metal on the Pinto was in the upper one-third of other 1973 (era) cars.

...internal Ford tests [showed] that the fuel tank of the Pinto would rupture in rear crashes involving speeds as low as twenty-five miles per hour. The corresponding figure for its competitors, like the Vega, was closer to twenty-seven or twenty-eight miles per hour...

...the N.H.T.S.A. passed a revised version of what’s called the 301 rule, which stated that the fuel systems of passenger cars had to be safe from rupture in collisions of thirty miles per hour. But when the N.H.T.S.A. went back in 1990 and analyzed the effect of the new regulation, it concluded that “fatalities were not affected.”
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 06 Jun 2015, 03:47

Calling Bruce Jenner a Woman Is an Insult to Women
Matt Walsh is a blogger, writer, speaker, and professional truth sayer.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

Warren

Post by Warren » 06 Jun 2015, 12:17

Hugh Akston wrote:Calling Bruce Jenner a Woman Is an Insult to Women
Matt Walsh is a blogger, writer, speaker, and professional truth sayer.
I haven't seen that much verbiage spilt over declaring "I am a hate mongering pinhead" outside of white supremacists.
The value of peer review lies substantially in the nature of one's peers. - that Ridgely guy

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 07 Jun 2015, 01:50

I was gonna put this in the Flying Killer Robots thread or the Light Laffs thread, but it's popular mechanics, so here it is.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/technol ... challenge/
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 07 Jun 2015, 14:12

lunchstealer wrote:I was gonna put this in the Flying Killer Robots thread or the Light Laffs thread, but it's popular mechanics, so here it is.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/technol ... challenge/
That is both hilarious and kind of depressing.

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 07 Jun 2015, 14:15

Yeah, these are pretty great.

Slip inside a sleeping bag.

Highway

Post by Highway » 09 Jun 2015, 14:28

"15 Scary Animals of Australia", or maybe it was "15 NOPE pictures from Australia", although it was kind of nightmarish. Pictures of a spider and a snake in a fight to the death (the spider won, cause it was bigger, almost as wide as the window that the fight was going on the sill of), or a dingo eating a shark, or a crocodile eating a shark, or a giant snake pulling a wallaby up a wall...

Taktix®

Post by Taktix® » 09 Jun 2015, 14:35

This accurately depicts my impulses when I arrive at work:

Serious question: why do so many seem to simply crumble at the open doorway? Most of those are a result of losing balance and not correcting it, but for the doorway, they just walk up and then it's all "activate epic fail mode"...
"Guilty as charged. Go ahead and ban me from the mall." - Ellie

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 09 Jun 2015, 19:39

Highway wrote:"15 Scary Animals of Australia", or maybe it was "15 NOPE pictures from Australia", although it was kind of nightmarish. Pictures of a spider and a snake in a fight to the death (the spider won, cause it was bigger, almost as wide as the window that the fight was going on the sill of), or a dingo eating a shark, or a crocodile eating a shark, or a giant snake pulling a wallaby up a wall...
I have seen that one.

The main reason I haven't clicked on it is that I have previously heard of some of the critters that live in Oz & was fairly sure that the images would give me nightmares.

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 09 Jun 2015, 20:09

Aresen wrote:
Highway wrote:"15 Scary Animals of Australia", or maybe it was "15 NOPE pictures from Australia", although it was kind of nightmarish. Pictures of a spider and a snake in a fight to the death (the spider won, cause it was bigger, almost as wide as the window that the fight was going on the sill of), or a dingo eating a shark, or a crocodile eating a shark, or a giant snake pulling a wallaby up a wall...
I have seen that one.

The main reason I haven't clicked on it is that I have previously heard of some of the critters that live in Oz & was fairly sure that the images would give me nightmares.
For example:

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 10 Jun 2015, 01:32

Taktix® wrote:This accurately depicts my impulses when I arrive at work:

Serious question: why do so many seem to simply crumble at the open doorway? Most of those are a result of losing balance and not correcting it, but for the doorway, they just walk up and then it's all "activate epic fail mode"...
Yeah I was wondering the same. I have no idea what would cause that.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 29 Jun 2015, 13:45

"Wedding Photographer Has The Perfect Response After Losing A Client Who Opposed Gay Marriage" which was a total letdown
that led me to
"27 Bold-Faced Liars Desperately Seeking Attention On The Internet" which was not that great except for this one, which made me laugh:
"NB stands for nota bene do not @ me" - nicole

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 20 Jul 2015, 09:52

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 20 Jul 2015, 14:08

I'm curious how they derive the value for this. Dumping that much platinum on the market would certainly drive down the price considerably. Do they factor that into the estimate?