Putin on the Writs

Jennifer

Re: Putin on the Writs

Post by Jennifer » 20 Jun 2019, 20:22

Taktix® wrote:
20 Jun 2019, 14:15

And their's no viciousness in the GOP. Each and every one of them barring Amash is a fucking coward for not standing up for America.
One can be vicious and still be a coward -- the GOP is pretty vicious regarding its view of our concentration camps and how to treat the inmates within, and this viciousness stems precisely from the racist cowardice that makes grown men convince themselves Guatemalan toddlers are a threat to national security. (More on-topic: the GOP's vicious voter-suppression shenanigans, and willingness to look the other way regarding foreign threats to our elections, stems largely from their racist cowardice of what would happen if black Americans and other suspected liberals actually had their votes count.)
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Taktix®

Post by Taktix® » 22 Jun 2019, 11:24

Warren wrote:
20 Jun 2019, 19:17
Taktix® wrote:
20 Jun 2019, 14:15
Aresen wrote:
20 Jun 2019, 14:10
Taktix® wrote:
20 Jun 2019, 13:58
...exceptionally viscous GOP
Whether that's a typo or not, it works either way.
:lol:
Jesus, I can't even get credit for a little dash of imagery :(

And their's no viciousness in the GOP. Each and every one of them barring Amash is a fucking coward for not standing up for America.
More imagery?
OhMyGerdATypoNoooooes!
"Guilty as charged. Go ahead and ban me from the mall." - Ellie

Tuco

Post by Tuco » 23 Jun 2019, 08:22

thoreau wrote:
31 May 2019, 23:44
people say I'm crazy. people say I'm crazy.

people say I'm crazy.
Taktix® wrote:
20 Jun 2019, 09:29
don't mind me I'm a CrAzY pErSoN!
Sanity is overrated.
thoreau wrote:
29 May 2019, 16:32

Sir Mix-A-Lot doesn't like big butts.
This, however, is just going too damn far.

Taktix®

Post by Taktix® » 24 Jun 2019, 14:03

Some good news I missed earlier this year: https://www.wusa9.com/article/news/mary ... 6ab4ccb2e5

TL/DR: Maryland discovered voting database and website host, ByteGrid LLC, was in part owned by Russian Oligarch Vladimir Potanin. It looks like they wised up and changed vendors...

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 24 Jun 2019, 14:08

Taktix® wrote:
24 Jun 2019, 14:03
Some good news I missed earlier this year: https://www.wusa9.com/article/news/mary ... 6ab4ccb2e5

TL/DR: Maryland discovered voting database and website host, ByteGrid LLC, was in part owned by Russian Oligarch Vladimir Potanin. It looks like they wised up and changed vendors...
They are being insane. There's no way that would be a problem.

And even if it were, nothing matters. Nothing, Lebowski. Nothing.
"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

Taktix®

Post by Taktix® » 28 Jun 2019, 12:19

Taktix®

Post by Taktix® » 30 Jun 2019, 19:38

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 01 Jul 2019, 08:02

Maybe. It's going to take a bit to pick thru a 167 page report to see how accurate the reporting of the reporting is.

(I'll just say so far between the original report, politico, axios and twitter, there's already been some headline compression and amplification.)
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 01 Jul 2019, 10:11

I wish there were something scarier than all caps. Can tapatalk do all caps dripping blood?

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 01 Jul 2019, 13:03

Kolohe wrote:
01 Jul 2019, 08:02
Maybe. It's going to take a bit to pick thru a 167 page report to see how accurate the reporting of the reporting is.

(I'll just say so far between the original report, politico, axios and twitter, there's already been some headline compression and amplification.)
https://www.documentcloud.org/documents ... ussia.html
Understanding the future of global competition and conflict is now more important than ever
before. In a dynamically changing world, the nature and character of warfare, deterrence,
compellence, escalation management, and persuasion are key and essential in determining how
the United States and its partners should:

Strategize to defend their global interests against activities that are intended to undercut
those interests across the spectrum of competition;

Defend their interests against threats by regional competitors via ways and means
complementary to strategies vis-à-vis China and Russia but do not undercut other
interests; and

Prepare US and partner forces to respond to unexpected and agile developments in
global politics and technology by identifying areas for cooperation, mitigating the threat
of activities short of armed conflict, and deterring armed conflict across multiple sources
of national power (e.g., trade, diplomacy, security).
This is...not promising. "We need to know how to do good stuff that prevents the other guys from doing bad stuff. Sometimes this good stuff stuff is complicated"
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Taktix®

Post by Taktix® » 01 Jul 2019, 13:10

Sorry about the all caps. I was being lazy and cutting and pasting the headline. Would try harder if getting paid for it.

Also, hackers shut down the City of Riviera Beach's system. LINK Like whole systems. Cops handwriting tickets. Handwritten paychecks for city workers because direct deposit went down. Riviera Beach is the next municipality north of West Palm Beach, and is a black neighborhood.

Also, 2 other cities in Florida this month, Lake City and Key Biscayne. Key Biscayne went 59-39 for Hillary and just put Donna fucking Shalala in congress, Lake City is in an Uncharacteristic-for-North-Florida Democratic 5th District.

I'm tellin' ya, it's the GRU running test runs and they're fucking coming in 2020...

Taktix®

Post by Taktix® » 08 Jul 2019, 21:16

First, they conduct excercises testing how the Russian internet would work once disconnected from the WWW: https://www.engadget.com/2019/02/28/rus ... rsecurity/

Then it turns out they've been conducting research on trans-ocean fiber optic cables, and we only have come to learn of it because one submarine had a severe disaster: https://www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/arti ... ssion=true

I know speculation is frowned upon by some here, but man, if I were a certain Eurasian oligarch planning some attack on the communications infrastructure of the West, these are definitely some of the things I would do...

Taktix®

Post by Taktix® » 12 Jul 2019, 15:06

NATO 2nd largest military Turkey had received a shipment of Russian weapon systems. Once installed, Russia will have backdoor access to NATO systems including, most notably, deployment positions of those stupid fucking F-35.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/12/worl ... siles.html

But it's crazy talk to sound the alarm of Russia's growing threat...

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 12 Jul 2019, 17:51

Taktix wrote:Once installed, Russia will have backdoor access to NATO systems including, most notably, deployment positions of those stupid fucking F-35.
Not accurate at all, my friend. There's no indication that this gives RU 'backdoor access', just that RU techs will be in Turkey doing training and setup etc., and that there is greater chance of confusion with both RU and NATO systems in play at the same time.

And, this is germane...
NATO has stationed the American-made Patriot surface-to-air missile system on Turkish soil since the outbreak of the civil war in Syria, but Mr. Erdogan has insisted his country needs its own long-range system.

Turkey tried for years to buy its own Patriot system, but talks with Washington never produced a deal — a result that President Trump, at the Group of 20 meeting last month, said was the fault of the Obama administration.

...Even as he announced the arrival of three planes bearing the first parts of the Russian system, Defense Minister Hulusi Akar said Turkey still hoped to buy its American counterpart. “We are looking for Patriot procurement and our institutions are working intensively in that regard,” he said in remarks shown on the state-owned TRT channel.
It doesn't sound like Turkey is leaping into the arms of the Great Bear. It sounds like they had to settle after we wouldn't give them the good stuff we have.

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 12 Jul 2019, 18:18

Yeah, but Turkey isn't the NATO ally it once was because it isn't the secular state it once was. Time was when Turkey was saying, hey, whatever it means to be European, we're close enough. Frankly, they were saying that a hell of a lot louder than Greece ever did. Not now.

Doesn't ultimately matter, though. Russia isn't going to invade central, let alone western Europe, which raises the point what exactly is NATO supposed to be doing, anyway. Meanwhile, Turkey's real threat is in the Middle East.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 12 Jul 2019, 18:33

Dangerman wrote:
12 Jul 2019, 17:51
Taktix wrote:Once installed, Russia will have backdoor access to NATO systems including, most notably, deployment positions of those stupid fucking F-35.
Not accurate at all, my friend. There's no indication that this gives RU 'backdoor access', just that RU techs will be in Turkey doing training and setup etc., and that there is greater chance of confusion with both RU and NATO systems in play at the same time.
To be fair, I assume that any time a country sends "technicians" to another country to do "training and setup" scare quotes are wholly appropriate because any military hardware comes with electronic worms and backdoors to let the provider spy on the recipient. I also assume that as soon as the "technicians" leave any savvy recipient immediately has their own people search for vulnerabilities in what they were given.

Before you accuse me of being paranoid about Russia, I assume that American "technicians" are doing the same every time the US government supplies military hardware to other countries.
"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

Taktix®

Post by Taktix® » 13 Jul 2019, 00:01

Dangerman wrote:

And, this is germane...
NATO has stationed the American-made Patriot surface-to-air missile system on Turkish soil since the outbreak of the civil war in Syria, but Mr. Erdogan has insisted his country needs its own long-range system.

Turkey tried for years to buy its own Patriot system, but talks with Washington never produced a deal — a result that President Trump, at the Group of 20 meeting last month, said was the fault of the Obama administration.

...Even as he announced the arrival of three planes bearing the first parts of the Russian system, Defense Minister Hulusi Akar said Turkey still hoped to buy its American counterpart. “We are looking for Patriot procurement and our institutions are working intensively in that regard,” he said in remarks shown on the state-owned TRT channel.
It doesn't sound like Turkey is leaping into the arms of the Great Bear. It sounds like they had to settle after we wouldn't give them the good stuff we have.
https://www.airforcetimes.com/news/your ... ft-system/
If Turkey acquired the S-400 alongside the F-35, the technology that makes that aircraft lethal could potentially be compromised.

NATO states use a tactical data link that allows military aircraft and even ships and ground troops to share their tactical pictures in near-real time. This is called Link 16. NATO aircraft also use Identification Friend or Foe systems, known as IFF, to identify friendly aircraft in the sky.

An IFF and Link 16 interrogator would have to be integrated into the S-400 system to allow the Turkish F-35, with the transponder, to fly within lethal range of the S-400.

This opens up all Link 16 and IFF tactical data link equipment to be compromised, a former radar and weapons expert said on background.

“With the F-35 flying in close proximity to the S-400 system, over time, you could collect sensitive stealth characteristics of this F-35 and learn its detailed stealth capabilities,” the expert said.
Here's several varying sources if you don't trust the Air Force Times:
https://thediplomat.com/2019/07/mauro-g ... -bad-idea/
https://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/featu ... 08578.html
https://www.axios.com/s400-missile-syst ... bfc07.html

And the best evidence that Russia is up to no good, here's Sputnik claiming specifically that Russia can't plug in to NATO systems (and wouldn't even if they could): https://sputniknews.com/military/201904 ... atibility/

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 13 Jul 2019, 00:30

AVENGE ME!!!!!!!!!!!! AVEEEEEEEENNNNNNNGGGGGGGEEEEEEEEE MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 13 Jul 2019, 19:12

thoreau wrote:
12 Jul 2019, 18:33
Dangerman wrote:
To be fair, I assume that any time a country sends "technicians" to another country to do "training and setup" scare quotes are wholly appropriate because any military hardware comes with electronic worms and backdoors to let the provider spy on the recipient. I also assume that as soon as the "technicians" leave any savvy recipient immediately has their own people search for vulnerabilities in what they were given.

Before you accuse me of being paranoid about Russia, I assume that American "technicians" are doing the same every time the US government supplies military hardware to other countries.
No, I agree 100%, but this is absolutely business as usual, and not a reason to think that we're any closer to a conflict with RU, and not a reason to be any more concerned than if it had happened 10 years ago. Which, sure, I guess I vaguely care, but everything we're allowed to read about this (dude, you're quoting the AFT, which is literally USG military propaganda, get a hold of yourself) is most likely part of back and forth between superpowers. The real things to be scared of are Black Swans which aren't getting coverage in the Air Force Public Relations releases.

And if Trump and Putin are colluding, then there's every reason to believe that you are reading this because they want you to.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 13 Jul 2019, 21:33

Dangerman wrote:
13 Jul 2019, 19:12
and not a reason to be any more concerned than if it had happened 10 years ago.
You mean a year after the Russo-Georgian war?
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 13 Jul 2019, 22:23

Yes. Russia picking fights and annexing former member/client states is bad, but not new, and not a sign of impending extraordinary action against the US.

Taktix®

Post by Taktix® » 14 Jul 2019, 01:00

Dangerman wrote:
13 Jul 2019, 22:23
Yes. Russia picking fights and annexing former member/client states is bad, but not new, and not a sign of impending extraordinary action against the US.
I wasn't aware NATO was a former member/client state...

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 14 Jul 2019, 09:36

That's actually incoherent.

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 14 Jul 2019, 15:08

The point is that dissolving the USSR was never going to result in a Russia that ceased being both expansionist and paranoid about border nations. The Cold War between the U.S. and the USSR is over and it's not coming back for the foreseeable future, but it doesn't mean the European "Great Game" is over or that Russia won't seek to buffer itself against what it has historically perceived to be its enemies (namely, the rest of the world) or expand its influence, its sea lanes, etc. whenever it sees an opening.

Does anyone here -- anyone? anyone? Bueller? anyone? -- see a Russian missile attack against Europe as even remotely likely? Russian tanks rolling through Poland on their way to Germany and France? Without its empire of natural resources and de facto slave labor to keep its economy propped up, Russia has reverted to what it was before the end of WW II, a failed economy that puts far too much of its far more limited resources into military spending for no appreciable reason (save maybe China) and that continues to want a seat at the Grown Ups table. But it has lost its ideological wedge, lost the resources to be a global player for influence in the Middle East, Africa and Asia and all it really has left is its nukes.

We could have embraced Russia as a potential ally at the end of the Cold War, offered to buy up and destroy its nuclear arsenal and made it a part of NATO (makes as much sense as Turkey being in NATO, for that matter). Hell, we'd probably have air bases in Vladivostok now. But preserving Russia as an enemy of sorts better served a certain sector of the U.S. intelligence and military communities, not to mention the military-industrial complex. It's hard enough to justify spending $750 billion a year on DoD as is; imagine how hard a sell it would be with a Russian ally, its economy rebuilt through a new Marshall Plan.

As matters stand, though, Russia is more of a thorn in America's side than an outright threat. Yeah, yeah, cyber-war and how dare they fuck with our elections the way we have routinely attempted to fuck with theirs and at least half the rest of the world and ohmygawd TRUMP. Well, Trump will be gone in two to six years and the world will keep spinning. Absent internal structural reforms, Russia will continue to be a failed economy run by a parasitic kleptocracy. Western Europe can defend itself. Turkey was never a European nation culturally except by comparison to the rest of the Middle East. (Hell, Israel isn't a European nation culturally, for that matter.) So, I'm with DM here. This is pretty much just business as usual.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 14 Jul 2019, 16:34

I agree that offering to put 1991 Russia firmly into the 'ally' camp would've been reasonably good if it could've been pulled off, but IIRC the reaction to that was decidedly more 'in your fucking dreams' from Russian leadership, even if Yeltsin himself might've gone for it.

If Germany and France are the question, yeah, they're pretty safe. If the question is would they forcibly re-annex the Baltics and maybe even try to take a chunk out of Poland to re-connect with the Kaliningrad enclave, that's a different question. I see nothing in Russia's antics under Putin to reassure me that they wouldn't try some westward expansion even if it doesn't make it all the way across the Vistula. I would not want to be in any fully Warsaw-Pact country these days if I could help it.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR