Putin on the Writs

D.A. Ridgely

Re: Putin on the Writs

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 06 Dec 2016, 11:23

Andrew wrote:
Eric the .5b wrote:Chernobyl is pretty good for an impressive fuckup.
Yeah. "Let's build a nuclear reactor with a questionable-at-best-design, and then specifically operate in the conditions we know will lead to failure as a 'test,' but let's also disable every safety feature while we do it."
You can't be sure if its safe unless you run it without those safety features.

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 06 Dec 2016, 11:33

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
Andrew wrote:
Eric the .5b wrote:Chernobyl is pretty good for an impressive fuckup.
Yeah. "Let's build a nuclear reactor with a questionable-at-best-design, and then specifically operate in the conditions we know will lead to failure as a 'test,' but let's also disable every safety feature while we do it."
You can't be sure if its safe unless you run it without those safety features.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Taktix®

Post by Taktix® » 07 Feb 2017, 00:54

Looks like Belarus is next.
Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko is speaking as though there’s a new battle being waged between Russia and Belarus. In reality, it’s the same old fight.

For years, Lukashenko has tried to play Russia and Europe off one another. He’s redoubled those efforts since the fighting erupted in Ukraine in 2014, criticizing Putin’s annexation of Crimea and hosting peace talks in Minsk. In January, Belarus announced visa-free travel for citizens from 80 countries — including the United States — to Belarus, effective Feb. 9.

This time, he may have overplayed his hand, flirting too forcefully with the European Union. Russia now seems to be pulling the Belarusian pendulum back to Moscow. On Wednesday, it announced it would establish a security zone on its previously virtually open border with Belarus.

The border issue is perhaps a stand in for a larger conflict. On Friday, Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko criticized this move by Moscow, and said that his country’s ties with Russia are deteriorating because Russia is afraid of Belarus turning toward the West. He also spoke of a much larger problem: Russia recently threatened to cut oil exports to Belarus by half. The two countries have been arguing about the price and delivery of oil and gas for months.

Lukashenko said Russia had grabbed Belarus “by the throat” by using oil and gas supplies to get its way, declaring, “Independence cannot be compared with oil.” But even as he vowed to find other sources of energy if necessary, he he took care to say that Belarus would not leave the Russia-helmed Collective Security Treaty Organization or Eurasian Economic Union.

Belarus’s departure would be a blow to Russia, and Lukashenko has complained about unequal membership conditions. But still, he made clear his country, over which he has ruled as “Europe’s last dictator” since 1994, would not threaten Russia in this way.

It seems the message has been received. On Monday, the FSB, Russia’s state security service, told the Russian media that the border zone was meant to prevent illegal migration, drug trafficking and the illegal movement of goods. It was not, it said, meant to impose travel restrictions on Russians or Belarusians, who will perhaps follow their president in moving, once again, from the West back toward Moscow.
Why is Trump looking into "Polish incursions into Belarus?"
According to one U.S. official, national security aides have sought information about Polish incursions in Belarus, an eyebrow-raising request because little evidence of such activities appears to exist.
Fuck...
"Guilty as charged. Go ahead and ban me from the mall." - Ellie

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 07 Feb 2017, 01:38

Oh, crap. Reminds me of the Polish attacks on Germany in 1939....
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 07 Feb 2017, 11:02

Jennifer wrote:Oh, crap. Reminds me of the Polish attacks on Germany in 1939....
Damn Poles, always setting off world wars.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 07 Feb 2017, 18:52

You know who else put German troops in Lithuania?
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Jason

Post by Jason » 07 Feb 2017, 19:00

Kolohe wrote:You know who else put German troops in Lithuania?
Felix Steiner?
This message should not be used for any purposes in the development, design, manufacture, or production of nuclear, chemical, or biological weapons.

Warren

Post by Warren » 07 Feb 2017, 20:00

I've known several Russian engineers, trained during the Soviet era. Russian engineering isn't true Scotsman engineering. It's more like what we now call "makers". They over design everything they can because everything is crap and you can't rely on the specs. So bridges are something you can just double the amount of steal and call it good. Not so much with aircraft carriers. Aerospace is mostly a matter of, just keep tinkering with it till you get one that doesn't explode/crash.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 07 Feb 2017, 20:08

Warren wrote:I've known several Russian engineers, trained during the Soviet era. Russian engineering isn't true Scotsman engineering. It's more like what we now call "makers". They over design everything they can because everything is crap and you can't rely on the specs. So bridges are something you can just double the amount of steal and call it good.
With Concordski, they should have done a little more of the steal.
Not so much with aircraft carriers.
Just have convenient bollards for the tow cables.
Aerospace is mostly a matter of, just keep tinkering with it till you get one that doesn't explode/crash.
Neither Tupolev nor Antonov seem to have gotten that last part down yet. (Though, to be fair, a whole Russian development program probably costs less than a single F35.)
Last edited by Aresen on 07 Feb 2017, 20:22, edited 1 time in total.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 07 Feb 2017, 20:10

Warren wrote:So bridges are something you can just double the amount of steal and call it good.
On the other hand, Russian spelling is supposed to be mostly phonetic, unlike English spelling. So Russian engineers can learn how to spell reel good without having to learn any of that sissy librul artz stuff.
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

Mo

Post by Mo » 07 Feb 2017, 21:49

Russian engineering is when the occasional genius figures something out that even a hammered line worker that only gives sufficient fucks to avoid Siberia will be able to make correctly.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 12 Feb 2017, 03:09

There are reports that Russia is [urlhttp://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/russia-eye ... onsidering[/url] turning Edward Snowden over to the US to "curry favor" with Trump. Shit. I hope those reports prove unfounded.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 12 Feb 2017, 15:23

Jennifer wrote:There are reports that Russia is [urlhttp://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/russia-eye ... onsidering[/url] turning Edward Snowden over to the US to "curry favor" with Trump. Shit. I hope those reports prove unfounded.
The only way Snowden should be prosecuted is if Eric Clapper gets the cell beside him.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 12 Feb 2017, 15:31

Well, suddenly a lot of Blues would admire and support Snowden. Maybe.

...I really hate our political establishment and that is the only thing keeping the Orange Bastard in any kind of check.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 12 Feb 2017, 15:36

Eric the .5b wrote:Well, suddenly a lot of Blues would admire and support Snowden. Maybe.
But they'd be offset by the Reds who, as of the last election, agree that he's an anti-American traitor.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 12 Feb 2017, 16:44

I have a friend who works in computer security and acts like he knows a lot about a lot of things. I can never figure out whether he's a bullshitter, or if he's a guy whose private sector job is not quite as private sector as he has to let me think. Anyway, he is convinced that Snowden was put up to it by Russian intelligence. He doesn't think Snowden was a knowing Russian pawn, but he does think that someone was whispering things in Snowden's ear.

I don't know enough about Snowden to know if he had shady people whispering in his ear, but I have to believe that if Snowden were put up to it by Russians then they'd never hand him over. Russian intelligence may not be the most humane bunch out there, but if you hand over your assets you're telling the world that nobody should ever again help you. For purely selfish reasons an intelligence agency has to protect its assets.
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 12 Feb 2017, 23:47

thoreau wrote:I have a friend who works in computer security and acts like he knows a lot about a lot of things. I can never figure out whether he's a bullshitter, or if he's a guy whose private sector job is not quite as private sector as he has to let me think. Anyway, he is convinced that Snowden was put up to it by Russian intelligence. He doesn't think Snowden was a knowing Russian pawn, but he does think that someone was whispering things in Snowden's ear.

I don't know enough about Snowden to know if he had shady people whispering in his ear, but I have to believe that if Snowden were put up to it by Russians then they'd never hand him over. Russian intelligence may not be the most humane bunch out there, but if you hand over your assets you're telling the world that nobody should ever again help you. For purely selfish reasons an intelligence agency has to protect its assets.
But then again, Russians. They got like a thousand year history of treating people as disposable.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 13 Feb 2017, 00:09

Kolohe wrote:
thoreau wrote:I have a friend who works in computer security and acts like he knows a lot about a lot of things. I can never figure out whether he's a bullshitter, or if he's a guy whose private sector job is not quite as private sector as he has to let me think. Anyway, he is convinced that Snowden was put up to it by Russian intelligence. He doesn't think Snowden was a knowing Russian pawn, but he does think that someone was whispering things in Snowden's ear.

But then again, Russians. They got like a thousand year history of treating people as disposable.
But they still evacuated Martha, rather than shooting her.
--Shem

Warren

Post by Warren » 13 Feb 2017, 00:12

thoreau wrote:
Kolohe wrote:

Washington?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 13 Feb 2017, 00:23

--Shem

Warren

Post by Warren » 13 Feb 2017, 00:26

Stream crossing violation.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 13 Feb 2017, 00:29

thoreau wrote:
Kolohe wrote:
thoreau wrote:I don't know enough about Snowden to know if he had shady people whispering in his ear, but I have to believe that if Snowden were put up to it by Russians then they'd never hand him over. Russian intelligence may not be the most humane bunch out there, but if you hand over your assets you're telling the world that nobody should ever again help you. For purely selfish reasons an intelligence agency has to protect its assets.
Why did you say that name?
Oh.
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 13 Feb 2017, 00:30

Jennifer wrote:
Eric the .5b wrote:Well, suddenly a lot of Blues would admire and support Snowden. Maybe.
But they'd be offset by the Reds who, as of the last election, agree that he's an anti-American traitor.
They already reflexively said that, even with Obama in the White House. It's one issue the Reds have been very consistent on. We totally lose, overall, but get a few more shallow supporters.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 14 Feb 2017, 02:08

Soooo, Flynn got fucked.

I would be so amused if he found someone to give him immunity to dish on Trump.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 14 Feb 2017, 02:39

lunchstealer wrote:Soooo, Flynn got fucked.

I would be so amused if he found someone to give him immunity to dish on Trump.
Given how cozy all of the key players are with Russia, he'd have to find a prosecutor willing to give him immunity against treason charges. And then he'd have to pray that the Witness Protection Program is good enough to take on the FSB.
--Shem