Putin on the Writs

Painboy

Re: Putin on the Writs

Post by Painboy » 21 Sep 2018, 13:00

thoreau wrote:
20 Sep 2018, 20:32

3) You keep talking about software changes, but this isn't about software changes. It's about the ability to edit insecure databases.
You have to change the numbers in the database with something though. Either you are going to use faked or stolen credentials, which is easily identified and traceable, or you have to inject something into the software to get it to change the values which will again be obvious.

Successful hacks either pull data or break it. A hacking attempt will only be a secret until someone starts looking for it. Given the scrutiny the voting machines have elicited lately I don't see how it wouldn't be spotted almost immediately. For instance when the Russians hacked Clinton's emails they just pulled information. They couldn't go in and change things with no one the wiser.
thoreau wrote:
4) You yourself have said that Putin's main goal is not to get specific policies implemented by US leaders, but just to weaken the US with chaos. Well, imagine if on Election Night a state is called by 10,000 votes and then a few weeks later it is reported that 12,000 provisional ballots have to be counted and just about all of them are from Democrats. Some Americans would, of course, see this as a conspiracy against Democrats. Others would see it as a conspiracy BY Democrats. "They must have done something fishy, no way that 10,000 Democrats just happen to have paperwork snafus but hardly any Republicans."

That's a trolling success. That's chaos. That's a massive headache for the next administration's legitimacy.
Chaos like setting up meetings between certain politicos with known suspicious people to make it look like there was collusion going on even if none existed? :P Jokes aside this doesn't sound much different than the 2000 election. We managed to survive that. And once that kind of stunt is pulled they wouldn't be able to do it again because people would be ready for it and take measures against it.
thoreau wrote:
5) What are the consequences for Russia to get caught? What if, hypothetically, the GRU hacked into the DNC and a US ally had video footage of the room in which the hackers conducted their operation? What would the Trump Administration do?
That's a completely different scenario that doesn't really have anything to do with voting machines. I can honestly say though that I have no idea what Trump would do given he has the attention span of a goldfish.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 21 Sep 2018, 13:31

Painboy wrote:
21 Sep 2018, 13:00
thoreau wrote:
5) What are the consequences for Russia to get caught? What if, hypothetically, the GRU hacked into the DNC and a US ally had video footage of the room in which the hackers conducted their operation? What would the Trump Administration do?
That's a completely different scenario that doesn't really have anything to do with voting machines. I can honestly say though that I have no idea what Trump would do given he has the attention span of a goldfish.
That scenario actually happened, and Trump has dragged his feet on implementing sanctions.
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

Taktix®

Post by Taktix® » 24 Sep 2018, 23:33

thoreau wrote:
21 Sep 2018, 13:31
Painboy wrote:
21 Sep 2018, 13:00
thoreau wrote:
That scenario actually happened, and Trump has dragged his feet on implementing sanctions.
Twice.
"Guilty as charged. Go ahead and ban me from the mall." - Ellie

Taktix®

Post by Taktix® » 24 Sep 2018, 23:38

Donald Trump - UberDrugCzar

Oh, guess who else loves them a fucking drug war?

Easier to militarize and make loyal local police, too ! <3 !

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 25 Sep 2018, 01:27

Taktix® wrote:
24 Sep 2018, 23:38
Donald Trump - UberDrugCzar

Oh, guess who else loves them a fucking drug war?

Easier to militarize and make loyal local police, too ! <3 !
So, the Socons have found a use for the United Nations?
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Taktix®

Post by Taktix® » 27 Sep 2018, 00:15

Aaaaand Rand Paul trying to lift Russian sanctions after recently visiting Moscow.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/rand-paul ... ns-fizzles

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 27 Sep 2018, 01:13

He failed at libertarianism. Now he can fail at shilling for Russia.
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

Taktix®

Post by Taktix® » 28 Sep 2018, 02:04

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 28 Sep 2018, 02:15

Look, if Putin DOES meddle in the elections it will only be to help a good, God-fearing American like Donald Trump, not those coastal elitist Democrat party types. So there's nothing to be worried about.
--Shem

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 04 Oct 2018, 15:16

If the Hill report is true - that there was a meeting with between DNC lawyers and the FBI before FISA warrant was issued, that's not a good look. I do believe there were active Russia attempts to influence the election but I also believe the FISA process is politically compromised and we need a lot of bleach.

Taktix®

Post by Taktix® » 10 Oct 2018, 15:37

It's fine, our weapons systems aren't vulnerable. We're not under threat and, anyway, if there were an attack it would be over by Christmas...

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/10/us/p ... 6XRNc1CIcU

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 10 Oct 2018, 20:02

Taktix® wrote:
10 Oct 2018, 15:37
It's fine, our weapons systems aren't vulnerable. We're not under threat and, anyway, if there were an attack it would be over by Christmas...

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/10/us/p ... 6XRNc1CIcU
I loved this bit:
Sometimes the testing teams toyed with their Pentagon targets. One team “reported that they caused a pop-up message to appear on users’ terminals instructing them to insert two quarters to continue operating.”
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 10 Oct 2018, 21:00

So what if Russia is making changes to our weapons systems? That's no different from the Pentagon making changes to the computer systems of the state National Guard units.
--Shem