Putin on the Writs

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 30041
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: Putin on the Writs

Post by Warren »

Hugh Akston wrote: 19 Jan 2020, 11:50
Warren wrote: 19 Jan 2020, 10:29 Sloping forehead. Dead giveaway.
Of what? That he’s a stagecoach tilter?

He looks like a 60s British bank manager who missed his bus.
Bill the bard wrote:Yond Cassius has a lean and hungry look;
He thinks too much: such men are dangerous.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
User avatar
thoreau
Posts: 30247
Joined: 06 May 2010, 12:56
Location: Back to the lab again

Re: Putin on the Writs

Post by thoreau »

He kinda looks like William from Westworld.
" Columbus wasn’t a profile in courage or brilliance despite the odds, he was a dumb motherfucker that got lucky. Oddly, that makes him the perfect talisman for the Trump era."
--Mo
User avatar
dead_elvis
Posts: 1689
Joined: 01 May 2010, 15:26

Re: Putin on the Writs

Post by dead_elvis »

I'll bet his 23andMe test comes back with some McPoyle in him.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."
User avatar
Hugh Akston
Posts: 19619
Joined: 05 May 2010, 15:51
Location: Elev. 5280 ft

Re: Putin on the Writs

Post by Hugh Akston »

Some of Putin's proposed reforms
In draft amendments submitted to the State Duma lower house, Putin offered a glimpse of how his reforms look on paper. Under his plan, some of the president’s broad powers would be clipped and parliament’s powers expanded.

In one of the biggest changes, the status of the State Council, now a low-profile body that advises the president, would for the first time be enshrined in the constitution.
Under his proposals, the president would pick the make-up of the State Council which would be handed broader powers to “determine the main directions of domestic and foreign policy.”
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman
User avatar
Dangerman
Posts: 6990
Joined: 07 May 2010, 12:26

Re: Putin on the Writs

Post by Dangerman »

dead_elvis wrote: 19 Jan 2020, 13:08 I'll bet his 23andMe test comes back with some McPoyle in him.
Came here to say this. I want to shop in a bathrobe and a glass of milk.
User avatar
dbcooper
Posts: 18693
Joined: 05 May 2010, 15:40

Re: Putin on the Writs

Post by dbcooper »

Slip inside a sleeping bag.
User avatar
Hugh Akston
Posts: 19619
Joined: 05 May 2010, 15:51
Location: Elev. 5280 ft

Re: Putin on the Writs

Post by Hugh Akston »

"Putin" on the writs
Russian President Vladimir Putin has acknowledged he was offered the chance to use a body double to make appearances in public for security reasons, but said he declined the offer and never used one.

Putin, 67, who has dominated Russian politics for more than two decades, has long been the subject of conspiracy theories in Russia - all of them unsubstantiated - that he uses a body double or even a small army of them.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman
User avatar
Hugh Akston
Posts: 19619
Joined: 05 May 2010, 15:51
Location: Elev. 5280 ft

Re: Putin on the Writs

Post by Hugh Akston »

Bernie is receiving positive press coverage from Russian state news agencies. Is there any reason not to assume he's also receiving direct orders from the Kremlin through his generic mind-control deodorant?
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman
User avatar
thoreau
Posts: 30247
Joined: 06 May 2010, 12:56
Location: Back to the lab again

Re: Putin on the Writs

Post by thoreau »

The only thing Russia has ever done to influence a US election is run news stories and buy Facebook ads. They have never hacked a political party's emails and released that info at a time that would be advantageous for a favored candidate. Also, Eurasia has always been our ally.
" Columbus wasn’t a profile in courage or brilliance despite the odds, he was a dumb motherfucker that got lucky. Oddly, that makes him the perfect talisman for the Trump era."
--Mo
User avatar
JasonL
Posts: 25469
Joined: 05 May 2010, 17:22

Re: Putin on the Writs

Post by JasonL »

Well I’m glad some things are still predictable.
User avatar
Warren
Posts: 30041
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: Putin on the Writs

Post by Warren »

JasonL wrote: 06 Mar 2020, 15:57 Well I’m glad some things are still predictable.
Ha! Even with one hip tied behind your back, you still got it.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
User avatar
thoreau
Posts: 30247
Joined: 06 May 2010, 12:56
Location: Back to the lab again

Re: Putin on the Writs

Post by thoreau »

This is like when the hosts in Westworld see evidence that they are robots and just say "It doesn't look like anything to me."
" Columbus wasn’t a profile in courage or brilliance despite the odds, he was a dumb motherfucker that got lucky. Oddly, that makes him the perfect talisman for the Trump era."
--Mo
User avatar
Eric the .5b
Posts: 15026
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 16:29

Re: Putin on the Writs

Post by Eric the .5b »

I'm surprised the Trump administration's response to COVID-19 hasn't been any fodder for the Putin Mastermind Theory. What makes it awkward—the tinfoil hat league's support for re-opening, or Russia's obviously severe problems with COVID-19?
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.
User avatar
Pham Nuwen
Posts: 8808
Joined: 27 Apr 2010, 02:17

Re: Putin on the Writs

Post by Pham Nuwen »

I'm surprised it was you posting in this thread instead of taktix or Thoreau.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex
User avatar
Eric the .5b
Posts: 15026
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 16:29

Re: Putin on the Writs

Post by Eric the .5b »

Pham Nuwen wrote: 06 May 2020, 20:38 I'm surprised it was you posting in this thread instead of taktix or Thoreau.
I'm surprised you bring that up!
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.
User avatar
Pham Nuwen
Posts: 8808
Joined: 27 Apr 2010, 02:17

Re: Putin on the Writs

Post by Pham Nuwen »

Eric the .5b wrote: 07 May 2020, 04:28
Pham Nuwen wrote: 06 May 2020, 20:38 I'm surprised it was you posting in this thread instead of taktix or Thoreau.
I'm surprised you bring that up!
Putin's check cleared.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex
User avatar
Taktix®
Posts: 8039
Joined: 07 May 2010, 05:29
Location: The Caribbean

Re: Putin on the Writs

Post by Taktix® »

Eric the .5b wrote: 06 May 2020, 19:59 I'm surprised the Trump administration's response to COVID-19 hasn't been any fodder for the Putin Mastermind Theory. What makes it awkward—the tinfoil hat league's support for re-opening, or Russia's obviously severe problems with COVID-19?
Firstly, until some actual evidence surfaces that the pandemic was intentional, I refuse to go down that rathole. Corona viruses aren't particularly rare enough that if it was a manmade thing, it could have been anyone and if Russia really were willing to cause this all then we're all fucked anyway, judging by our response to, in that case, what I could only assume to be the first of several bio-attacks...

Nevermind Putin the Mastermind, Putin the Well-Positioned Opportunist is taking full advantage of this crisis to keep knocking the US down a few pegs (if not outright attacking us, which I believe but you choose your own adventure):

Remember that plane load of medical supplies that Putin shipped us? It was full of stuff made by Russian companies still under sanction for attacking the 2016 election, in effect making us break our own sanctions by accepting it. Oh, and he billed us for it too.

Russia, along with China and Iran and probably N. Korea, are hitting our medical systems with cyber-attacks (and I regard any intentional delay in vaccine development as translating to actual lives lost as a result).

And I'm old enough to remember this past Thursday when Trump had a long talk with his handler just hours before the DOJ dropped the charges against Flynn (who plead guilty to lying to the FBI {ehh} about talking with Russian officials about sanctions ahead of the 2016 election {not so ehh}).

Me, Still Waiting for Someone to At Least Offer a Reasonable Explanation as to Why Trump Works So Closely In The Interests Of and At The Direction Of Vladimir Putin *skeleton gif*
"Guilty as charged. Go ahead and ban me from the mall." - Ellie
User avatar
Eric the .5b
Posts: 15026
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 16:29

Re: Putin on the Writs

Post by Eric the .5b »

Taktix® wrote: 09 May 2020, 12:00
Eric the .5b wrote: 06 May 2020, 19:59 I'm surprised the Trump administration's response to COVID-19 hasn't been any fodder for the Putin Mastermind Theory. What makes it awkward—the tinfoil hat league's support for re-opening, or Russia's obviously severe problems with COVID-19?
Firstly, until some actual evidence surfaces that the pandemic was intentional, I refuse to go down that rathole.
Thank goodness for small favors.
Taktix® wrote: 09 May 2020, 12:00Nevermind Putin the Mastermind, Putin the Well-Positioned Opportunist is taking full advantage of this crisis to keep knocking the US down a few pegs (if not outright attacking us, which I believe but you choose your own adventure):
Reading that...I'd say that's pretty weaksauce, but it's really more like confusing coconut water with a nice green curry. Look into the stupidities around US aid to Italy since their outbreak.
Except the article is not about attempts to undermine research, but attempts to steal research. And thanks to us having a president known for having tried to secure exclusive access to vaccine research for the US...yeah.

And Trump got charges dropped against someone who could be a serious PITA for him if he doesn't win re-election. You don't need to blither about "his handler" to explain that.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.
User avatar
Pham Nuwen
Posts: 8808
Joined: 27 Apr 2010, 02:17

Re: Putin on the Writs

Post by Pham Nuwen »

So is Putin like the Emperor from Warhammer 40k now? Am I understanding this correctly?
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex
User avatar
JasonL
Posts: 25469
Joined: 05 May 2010, 17:22

Re: Putin on the Writs

Post by JasonL »

I thought at least the pivot would be to China Mastermind Theory. I guess once you are this invested in a bad guy it's hard to quit him.
User avatar
Eric the .5b
Posts: 15026
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 16:29

Re: Putin on the Writs

Post by Eric the .5b »

Pham Nuwen wrote: 10 May 2020, 10:08 So is Putin like the Emperor from Warhammer 40k now? Am I understanding this correctly?
I guess.

The thing is, to me, that Trump's handling of COVID-19 has been the sort of sufficiently advanced idiocy and sociopathic self-interest that really looks like deliberate malice. It's the single situation where he most looks like he's trying to outright sabotage the US, and the single strongest argument that he's the weapon of an enemy of the US...but I don't hear harping on that by the usual suspects. People go right to the political advantages Trump's little brain is trying to seek.

It's like it's too serious for the tinfoil hat treatment.

Even Taktix, who sees Russia under the bed and Putin orchestrating everything Trump does, can't work Putin into this whole mess beyond a piddling aid delivery. He quickly moves on to Flynn, who doesn't have a damn thing to do with COVID-19.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.
User avatar
thoreau
Posts: 30247
Joined: 06 May 2010, 12:56
Location: Back to the lab again

Re: Putin on the Writs

Post by thoreau »

Speaking only for myself...

One reason I'm not harping on Putin and Russia in the midst of COVID-19 is because obviously none of this was planned. I suspect that Putin is gratified by the fact that the US not exactly looking like a promising model or useful friend for anyone, but it's not like he can say "Da, five year plan is going as predicted!" At best he can say "Khorosho, am glad Donaldik not making America great!"

Flynn is worth harping on because Flynn was one of the many Trump administration officials who REALLY didn't want to talk about their interactions with Russia.

To me, this was never about a Russian Master Plan. It was always about Trump's conflicts of interests, which should be completely disqualifying in a head of state/head of government. Trump wants a real estate deal in Moscow, and he has a man-crush on Vladimir, so he has been kissing Putin's ass since 2015 (if not earlier). Putin saw this, saw a chance to fuck with Hillary Clinton (whom he had plenty of reason to dislike), so he did two things of consequence:
1) He sent his people to talk to the Trump camp and have the sorts of conversations that a more savvy operation would not agree to have. This gave all of them something to hide from the FBI, which had the predictable effect of creating chaos.
2) He sent his hackers to go after the DNC, so that Trump would feel indebted to Russia and resentful of America's security services. This can't lead to any specific, predictable geopolitical feat, but it does have the effect of driving a wedge between Trump and the experts he should be listening to. Putin surely appreciates that, and that surely gives him a general edge in the behind-the-scenes games of state. Again, I'm not saying that there's a direct causal line between a hack in 2016 and some behind the scenes covert shenanigans that neither side will publicly admit in some strategic waterway, but there's surely an advantage for Russia when Trump trusts Putin more than his own advisors.

At this point certain people inevitably like to say something about troll farms and how they were nothing and the Americans are responsible for how they voted. I agree, which is why I don't give a fuck about troll farms. I do give a fuck about the Trump camp compromising themselves at every chance because they're a mix of incompetent and greedy, and Trump trusting Putin more than his own advisors. I don't think it will lead to the culmination of some Slavic Master Plan, but it is one of those things that you simply cannot tolerate in a head of government.

And I really don't get why that's controversial here. Many of the people here work for large companies, and I cannot imagine their companies hiring somebody for ANY job that involved access to sensitive information if it emerged that the job applicant owed favors to people at a rival company and showed zero scruples about anything. Yet when Trump and his people compromise themselves because of da boss's man-crush and real estate interests, a bunch of people say "Eh, so what?"
" Columbus wasn’t a profile in courage or brilliance despite the odds, he was a dumb motherfucker that got lucky. Oddly, that makes him the perfect talisman for the Trump era."
--Mo
User avatar
Eric the .5b
Posts: 15026
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 16:29

Re: Putin on the Writs

Post by Eric the .5b »

thoreau wrote: 10 May 2020, 19:42And I really don't get why that's controversial here.
I don't see it as such, as stated here. But then, I've said as much before while arguing the other side from you, and you went into sarcastic remarks about troll farms and how foolish people were for refusing to listen to Taktix. (You later shifted to pooh-poohing his takes, even though they really never changed.) But this thread has always had a motte and bailey problem.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.
User avatar
Taktix®
Posts: 8039
Joined: 07 May 2010, 05:29
Location: The Caribbean

Re: Putin on the Writs

Post by Taktix® »

Here's Eric's post when you remove all the sarcastic condescending trollishness:
I disagree
Did you invite me to offer my opinion just to have a touch point to start talking a bunch of shit?

I love Ellie and a few others but I really regret coming back here every time I do.

Speaking only for myself, Fuck You.
"Guilty as charged. Go ahead and ban me from the mall." - Ellie
User avatar
D.A. Ridgely
Posts: 20367
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:09
Location: The Other Side

Re: Putin on the Writs

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Taktix® wrote: 11 May 2020, 21:52 Here's Eric's post when you remove all the sarcastic condescending trollishness:
I disagree
Did you invite me to offer my opinion just to have a touch point to start talking a bunch of shit?

I love Ellie and a few others but I really regret coming back here every time I do.

Speaking only for myself, Fuck You.
Stay for the good; ignore the rest (even if that includes me).

That rule works pretty much anywhere.
Post Reply