Putin on the Writs

Hugh Akston

Re: Putin on the Writs

Post by Hugh Akston »

So did anyone else know that Keri Russell and Matthew Rhys are married IRL?
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman
JasonL

Post by JasonL »

Yup.
Warren

Post by Warren »

What's that got to do with Putin?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Warren wrote: 03 Jan 2020, 18:41 What's that got to do with Putin?
He didn't know, either.
Aresen

Post by Aresen »

D.A. Ridgely wrote: 04 Jan 2020, 16:14
Warren wrote: 03 Jan 2020, 18:41 What's that got to do with Putin?
He didn't know, either.
Thank you. I was wondering myself.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex
thoreau

Post by thoreau »

Nobody explain the joke!
" Columbus wasn’t a profile in courage or brilliance despite the odds, he was a dumb motherfucker that got lucky. Oddly, that makes him the perfect talisman for the Trump era."
--Mo
Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

Russia's government resigns after Putin calls for constitutional reforms
The changes Putin proposed on Wednesday would transfer more authority to parliament, including the power to choose the prime minister and senior cabinet members, instead of the president as under the current system.

Other changes would see the role of regional governors enhanced and residency requirements tightened for presidential candidates.
I would get out of the country toot sweet if I were Dmitry Medvedev, and stay off of airplanes forever.
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman
lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

Hugh Akston wrote: 15 Jan 2020, 11:53 Russia's government resigns after Putin calls for constitutional reforms
The changes Putin proposed on Wednesday would transfer more authority to parliament, including the power to choose the prime minister and senior cabinet members, instead of the president as under the current system.

Other changes would see the role of regional governors enhanced and residency requirements tightened for presidential candidates.
I would get out of the country toot sweet if I were Dmitry Medvedev, and stay off of airplanes forever.
And geigercount everything I ate or drank forever. Possibly only go outside in MOPP gear.
"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

"That's just tokenism with extra steps." - Jake
JasonL

Post by JasonL »

Don't eat the bolonium sandwich!
Aresen

Post by Aresen »

Grand Moff Medvedev wrote:The Imperial Senate will no longer be of any concern to us. I've just received word that the Emperor has dissolved the council permanently.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

I'm just a little puzzled by giving power to the Russian parliament.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.
thoreau

Post by thoreau »

They will vote reliably, or they will discover that their grocery store got some contamination from a hospital's medical isotopes. Or maybe they pissed off a Chechen drug dealer. In the worst case, they might feel so ashamed of themselves that they'll fire several rounds into their own heads and then jump out of windows.
" Columbus wasn’t a profile in courage or brilliance despite the odds, he was a dumb motherfucker that got lucky. Oddly, that makes him the perfect talisman for the Trump era."
--Mo
Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

Putin's presidency runs up against term limits in 2024, but he's still eligible to be PM.
Aresen

Post by Aresen »

Russia's best hope at this time appears to be Comrade Aneurysm.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

Aresen wrote: 15 Jan 2020, 17:33 Russia's best hope at this time appears to be Comrade Aneurysm.
Or other things related to being 67.
thoreau

Post by thoreau »

On a more serious note, could it be that Putin would rather that his legacy be a transition to some sort of stage-managed democracy rather than the transition to a strongman who could never rival his greatness (in his eyes)? Perhaps he wants to see Russia have a parliamentary democracy on training wheels, with the parliament, PM, and whatever president doing things on a day-to-day basis but making sure to not anger Vladimir The Great.

A lot of strongmen seem to genuinely believe that they are the only thing standing between their countries and chaos. Putin might believe that he can steer his country to democracy, which would simultaneously cement his place in the history books and ensure that no successor can be as powerful as him.
--Mo
thoreau

Post by thoreau »

(For the record, I am not at all convinced that he wants to steer Russia to some sort of pluralistic system rather than strongman rule, but I think it's at least a possibility worth considering. But I am quite certain that he will fail at it. He's done nothing to nurture the institutional, journalistic, or business cultures needed for a more liberal society to work.)
--Mo
Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

Doesn't seem impossible, Thoreau. And well, he's 67. He probably feels a constant itching on the back of his neck from all the people who'd like to take him down quite fatally. Maybe just creating turmoil and leaving no easy path for someone else to take his place is a ploy for a survivable retirement. He probably has vast sums of hard currency to live as Fucking Wealthy Private Citizen Putin.
thoreau

Post by thoreau »

I harp a lot on Head of State vs. Head of Government. I think a monarch could transition a country to parliamentary democracy more easily than a powerful President could. The modern world has plenty of role models for monarchs who want to move to the background, including Spain. They can even groom a kid to be more hands-off than they were, and rely on monarchical cultural templates to help with the transition when they die. (Though kids wind up emulating their parents in disappointing ways...) But Presidents-For-Life (Putin's role, if not his official title) have fewer cultural models for peaceful transitions.

tl;dr Putin should crown himself Czar and then groom his least odious kid to play nice with the parliament. He should set up his less pleasant kids in situations where they wouldn't even want to move back to Moscow. And, in true Russian fashion, if there are some kids who don't want to play ball, he should arrange for them to go for a boat ride with a trusted bodyguard.
--Mo
Kolohe

Post by Kolohe »

I think it's very unlikely that Putin wants anything else but Russian being Great with Putin in charge.

Putin's been there since late 99. If he were actually trying for a managed transition a la Spain or Portugal (or even Nicaragua under Noriega), he would have continued to step back and/or slide into emeritus roles towards the end of his PM stint.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex
JasonL

Post by JasonL »

I think it must be weird for tyrants as they approach a certain age. I've always been a bit fascinated by the stories people tell themselves when they look in the mirror. Per the other thread, it's probably best they don't get to reach that certain age.
Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen »

People. When he says that he is transferring more authority to parliament, including the power to choose the prime minister and senior cabinet members, instead of the president as under the current system he means HE is going to do the choosing when he's elected to parliament.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex
Aresen

Post by Aresen »

The mystery is not whether Putin will maintain control. The mystery is how he will do it.

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen »

I assume with violence, threats of violence, and blackmail.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex
nicole

Post by nicole »

Pham Nuwen wrote: 16 Jan 2020, 12:18 People. When he says that he is transferring more authority to parliament, including the power to choose the prime minister and senior cabinet members, instead of the president as under the current system he means HE is going to do the choosing when he's elected to parliament.
And by that you mean, as Hugh said above, that he’s also going to be the one who is chosen

This is literally the opposite of him showing a willingness to give up power.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex