Putin on the Writs

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 27695
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: Putin on the Writs

Post by Warren » 23 Sep 2019, 17:40

JasonL wrote:
23 Sep 2019, 17:35
Only if he loses is my point.
Five years is the foreseeable future?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
Mo
Posts: 24930
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:08

Re: Putin on the Writs

Post by Mo » 23 Sep 2019, 17:43

Warren wrote:
JasonL wrote:
23 Sep 2019, 17:35
Only if he loses is my point.
Five years is the foreseeable future?
If acting like Trump gets you re-elected, you get people copying that model from the left and right going forward.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

User avatar
JasonL
Posts: 24460
Joined: 05 May 2010, 17:22

Re: Putin on the Writs

Post by JasonL » 23 Sep 2019, 17:45

I think there's a thing where the center has no representation because that's not how you win.

User avatar
thoreau
Posts: 28594
Joined: 06 May 2010, 12:56
Location: Back to the lab again

Re: Putin on the Writs

Post by thoreau » 23 Sep 2019, 17:46

Kolohe wrote:
23 Sep 2019, 17:37
JasonL wrote:
23 Sep 2019, 15:44
I'm not worried about violence I'm worried about galvanizing their vote to make trumpism the official right coalition for the foreseeable future.
Trumpism is the official right coalition for the forseeable future *now*.

edit to add

My evidence of this is all the right wing sites (even the somewhat Trump skeptic ones) taking the fairly 'simple' issue of Ukraine and speaking of it in a Trump positive manner.
The official right-wing line is now that Ukraine is a corrupt basket case of a country, and anyone who does business there is automatically suspect.

This is working out a bit too nicely and neatly to credit it as a successful outcome of some Five Year Plan hatched by GRU election meddlers, but it's certainly a good ROI.
"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

User avatar
Pham Nuwen
Posts: 7985
Joined: 27 Apr 2010, 02:17

Re: Putin on the Writs

Post by Pham Nuwen » 23 Sep 2019, 19:27

I'm not buying the violence angle.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 27695
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: Putin on the Writs

Post by Warren » 23 Sep 2019, 19:30

Mo wrote:
23 Sep 2019, 17:43
Warren wrote:
JasonL wrote:
23 Sep 2019, 17:35
Only if he loses is my point.
Five years is the foreseeable future?
If acting like Trump gets you re-elected, you get people copying that model from the left and right going forward.
It won't work for them. Staking out ground that puts you in stark contrast with that will be where people go next.

Keep in mind, Trump's biggest voting block are people voting against his opponent.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
Eric the .5b
Posts: 13951
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 16:29

Re: Putin on the Writs

Post by Eric the .5b » 23 Sep 2019, 19:51

Pham Nuwen wrote:
23 Sep 2019, 19:27
I'm not buying the violence angle.
And if we get violence, then law enforcement can earn its damn pay.

My only impeachment fear is his being acquitted, because I'm convinced that would take us right to Trump's second term.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 27695
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: Putin on the Writs

Post by Warren » 23 Sep 2019, 19:53

Eric the .5b wrote:
23 Sep 2019, 19:51
Pham Nuwen wrote:
23 Sep 2019, 19:27
I'm not buying the violence angle.
And if we get violence, then law enforcement can earn its damn pay.

My only impeachment fear is his being acquitted, because I'm convinced that would take us right to Trump's second term.
Impeachment followed by conviction is the only hope of preventing a second term. Wouldn't you say?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
Eric the .5b
Posts: 13951
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 16:29

Re: Putin on the Writs

Post by Eric the .5b » 23 Sep 2019, 19:58

Warren wrote:
23 Sep 2019, 19:53
Eric the .5b wrote:
23 Sep 2019, 19:51
Pham Nuwen wrote:
23 Sep 2019, 19:27
I'm not buying the violence angle.
And if we get violence, then law enforcement can earn its damn pay.

My only impeachment fear is his being acquitted, because I'm convinced that would take us right to Trump's second term.
Impeachment followed by conviction is the only hope of preventing a second term. Wouldn't you say?
No.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 27695
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: Putin on the Writs

Post by Warren » 23 Sep 2019, 20:08

Eric the .5b wrote:
23 Sep 2019, 19:58
No.
You think he can lose the election? To whom?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
Eric the .5b
Posts: 13951
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 16:29

Re: Putin on the Writs

Post by Eric the .5b » 23 Sep 2019, 20:27

Warren wrote:
23 Sep 2019, 20:08
Eric the .5b wrote:
23 Sep 2019, 19:58
No.
You think he can lose the election? To whom?
I suspect anyone in the top three.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

User avatar
Taktix®
Posts: 8002
Joined: 07 May 2010, 05:29
Location: The Caribbean

Re: Putin on the Writs

Post by Taktix® » 23 Sep 2019, 20:51

Oh look. Putin snapped up those food supply contracts that the U.S. (under Trump) left sitting on the table: https://mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/ ... ssion=true

What a coincidence! Putin must be the luckiest dictator ever!
"Guilty as charged. Go ahead and ban me from the mall." - Ellie

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 27695
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: Putin on the Writs

Post by Warren » 23 Sep 2019, 20:54

Eric the .5b wrote:
23 Sep 2019, 20:27
Warren wrote:
23 Sep 2019, 20:08
Eric the .5b wrote:
23 Sep 2019, 19:58
No.
You think he can lose the election? To whom?
I suspect anyone in the top three.
Yeah? Well, I'd say there's a good chance we'll get to see that. OTOH next Nov. is a ways off yet. A lot could happen, war could break out, the economy could tank, the POTUS could tweet something.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
Taktix®
Posts: 8002
Joined: 07 May 2010, 05:29
Location: The Caribbean

Re: Putin on the Writs

Post by Taktix® » 23 Sep 2019, 21:28

Eric the .5b wrote:
23 Sep 2019, 19:51
Pham Nuwen wrote:
23 Sep 2019, 19:27
I'm not buying the violence angle.
And if we get violence, then law enforcement can earn its damn pay.

My only impeachment fear is his being acquitted, because I'm convinced that would take us right to Trump's second term.
Unless, you know, law enforcement is already in the bag for Trump, since he's made numerous plays for their loyalty like the comments about it being ok to rough up arrestees to the Kapernick kerfuffle to the Thin Blue Line Flag becoming the modern swastika...
"Guilty as charged. Go ahead and ban me from the mall." - Ellie

User avatar
JasonL
Posts: 24460
Joined: 05 May 2010, 17:22

Putin on the Writs

Post by JasonL » 23 Sep 2019, 21:32

Bwahahahaaa

User avatar
Eric the .5b
Posts: 13951
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 16:29

Re: Putin on the Writs

Post by Eric the .5b » 23 Sep 2019, 21:40

Taktix® wrote:
23 Sep 2019, 21:28
Eric the .5b wrote:
23 Sep 2019, 19:51
Pham Nuwen wrote:
23 Sep 2019, 19:27
I'm not buying the violence angle.
And if we get violence, then law enforcement can earn its damn pay.

My only impeachment fear is his being acquitted, because I'm convinced that would take us right to Trump's second term.
Unless, you know, law enforcement is already in the bag for Trump, since he's made numerous plays for their loyalty like the comments about it being ok to rough up arrestees to the Kapernick kerfuffle to the Thin Blue Line Flag becoming the modern swastika...
And maybe the Red Army parachutes in, too.

I've mentioned before that your "Wake up sheeple!" Is weirdly married to premises that raise the question, "Why bother?", since everything's planned and rigged and we're gonna lose, anyway.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

User avatar
thoreau
Posts: 28594
Joined: 06 May 2010, 12:56
Location: Back to the lab again

Re: Putin on the Writs

Post by thoreau » 23 Sep 2019, 21:56

Removing Trump via impeachment and a trial would not lead to violence on a scale that could threaten law and order, but it wouldn't take a massive breakdown of law and order to seriously poison US politics (even more than things are already poisoned). Violent mobs outside of Senators' offices, local police are slow to intervene, someone dies, then there's a massive federal crackdown on the mobs, and we get a poisonous atmosphere. Then somebody sets off a bomb and we get Patriot Act 2.0 in the name of "Restoring Order." It wouldn't be the end of civilization, but it would just cement the fact that Presidents are and will be elected monarchs.
"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

User avatar
Ellie
Posts: 12668
Joined: 21 Apr 2010, 18:34

Re: Putin on the Writs

Post by Ellie » 23 Sep 2019, 23:27

Warren wrote:
23 Sep 2019, 20:54
Eric the .5b wrote:
23 Sep 2019, 20:27
Warren wrote:
23 Sep 2019, 20:08
Eric the .5b wrote:
23 Sep 2019, 19:58
No.
You think he can lose the election? To whom?
I suspect anyone in the top three.
Yeah? Well, I'd say there's a good chance we'll get to see that. OTOH next Nov. is a ways off yet. A lot could happen, war could break out, the economy could tank, the POTUS could tweet something.
Whatever you do, Eric, don't bet your sig space on it! Learn from my foolish past mistakes!
"2019 has got to stop injecting dmt straight in the dick hole." - dhex

User avatar
Taktix®
Posts: 8002
Joined: 07 May 2010, 05:29
Location: The Caribbean

Re: Putin on the Writs

Post by Taktix® » 24 Sep 2019, 00:44

Eric the .5b wrote:
23 Sep 2019, 21:40
Taktix® wrote:
23 Sep 2019, 21:28
Eric the .5b wrote:
23 Sep 2019, 19:51
Pham Nuwen wrote:
23 Sep 2019, 19:27
I'm not buying the violence angle.
And if we get violence, then law enforcement can earn its damn pay.

My only impeachment fear is his being acquitted, because I'm convinced that would take us right to Trump's second term.
Unless, you know, law enforcement is already in the bag for Trump, since he's made numerous plays for their loyalty like the comments about it being ok to rough up arrestees to the Kapernick kerfuffle to the Thin Blue Line Flag becoming the modern swastika...
And maybe the Red Army parachutes in, too.

I've mentioned before that your "Wake up sheeple!" Is weirdly married to premises that raise the question, "Why bother?", since everything's planned and rigged and we're gonna lose, anyway.
It's not "planned and rigged", just the continual nudging toward authoritarianism that you're all observing (and that's been going on for longer than Trump and Obama and Bush, etc.).

And no Red Army has to come parachuting in, we've already surrendered. What is being lost in this Ukraine/Biden business is that the U.S. is withholding Trump withheld military aid to a country who is currently in a shooting war with Russia. Russia doesn't need to parachute in, we're adopting by tweet a foreign policy that is more favorable to them, be it Ukraine or Syria or Venezuela.

And the "Wake Up Sheeple" tone is not because I think the die is cast. I think we can still stop it. I believe in America. I think if reasonable people would stop ascribing the most extreme conspiratorial interpretations of the claims of those they disagree with and maybe just fucking look at the facts they might see the severe, new, modern, irreversible threat to our way of life that our country has faced since at least WWII.

ETA: I will concede I'm nearly at the "Why bother?" stage as it continually becomes clearer the Democrats won't conjure the cojones to do anything substantive like impeachment.
"Guilty as charged. Go ahead and ban me from the mall." - Ellie

User avatar
Eric the .5b
Posts: 13951
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 16:29

Re: Putin on the Writs

Post by Eric the .5b » 24 Sep 2019, 01:47

Taktix® wrote:
24 Sep 2019, 00:44
I think if reasonable people would stop ascribing the most extreme conspiratorial interpretations of the claims of those they disagree with and maybe just fucking look at the facts
I have. I have my own conclusions about the corruption. And I don't think I am ascribing any conspiracist interpretations to you. You keep going out on a conspiracist limb with your claims, then you retreat back to the trunk to say, "I'm just saying there's some corruption going on."

No shit, there's some corruption going on, probably a pile of things impeachment would cover. But influence? In a world where we have a ignoramus narcissist with dementia in the White House, who demands yes-men, who starts tweet-storming in response to what he sees on Fox News, and who fawns over any leader from Kim to Johnson who can choke down their disdain long enough to stroke his ego, it's kind of hard to talk sensibly about the shadowy influence of Putin or the GRU. I think pareidolia can provide any mastermind one wants.

I don't see Trump as all that notable a part of the "severe, new, modern, irreversible threat" since WW2. (Genuinely causing more change than Johnson, Eisenhower, Reagan, or the Bushes, really?) The cliche is that Trump's a dumpster fire, but he's just the ugly result of the last several decades and the lovecraftian degeneration of the GOP. Neither do I see how the Hell I'm supposed to do anything against that "irreversible threat" by freaking out about Putin. Putin's not going anywhere.

We're either getting rid of Trump (or not) in the last quarter of next year, and if that happens, it'll be by the ballot, not by impeachment. If that fails, then we get to see whether the fat, orange shit's even got four more years of life in him.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

User avatar
Number 6
Posts: 3141
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 16:41

Re: Putin on the Writs

Post by Number 6 » 24 Sep 2019, 08:02

Warren wrote:
23 Sep 2019, 20:08
Eric the .5b wrote:
23 Sep 2019, 19:58
No.
You think he can lose the election? To whom?
No, I don't. I think the Dems are determined to wrest defeat from the jaws of victory, all the while congratulating themselves for their heroism and political cunning.

I'm calling it now: impeachment attempt, followed by four more years of Trump.
" i discovered you eat dog dicks out of a bowl marked "dog dicks" because you're too stupid to remember where you left your bowl of dog dicks."-dhex, of course.
"Come, let us go forth and not rape together"-Jadagul

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 27695
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: Putin on the Writs

Post by Warren » 24 Sep 2019, 09:23

Number 6 wrote:
24 Sep 2019, 08:02
Warren wrote:
23 Sep 2019, 20:08
Eric the .5b wrote:
23 Sep 2019, 19:58
No.
You think he can lose the election? To whom?
No, I don't. I think the Dems are determined to wrest defeat from the jaws of victory, all the while congratulating themselves for their heroism and political cunning.

I'm calling it now: impeachment attempt, followed by four more years of Trump.
Let the record show.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
thoreau
Posts: 28594
Joined: 06 May 2010, 12:56
Location: Back to the lab again

Re: Putin on the Writs

Post by thoreau » 24 Sep 2019, 11:03

Number 6 wrote:
Warren wrote:
23 Sep 2019, 20:08
Eric the .5b wrote:
23 Sep 2019, 19:58
No.
You think he can lose the election? To whom?
No, I don't. I think the Dems are determined to wrest defeat from the jaws of victory, all the while congratulating themselves for their heroism and political cunning.

I'm calling it now: impeachment attempt, followed by four more years of Trump.
I think cardiovascular disease is the only thing that can save us.

Or cancer. Yeah, cancer. I'm wishing that on him.
"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 27695
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: Putin on the Writs

Post by Warren » 24 Sep 2019, 11:28

thoreau wrote:
24 Sep 2019, 11:03
Number 6 wrote:
Warren wrote:
23 Sep 2019, 20:08
Eric the .5b wrote:
23 Sep 2019, 19:58
No.
You think he can lose the election? To whom?
No, I don't. I think the Dems are determined to wrest defeat from the jaws of victory, all the while congratulating themselves for their heroism and political cunning.

I'm calling it now: impeachment attempt, followed by four more years of Trump.
I think cardiovascular disease is the only thing that can save us.

Or cancer. Yeah, cancer. I'm wishing that on him.
Penn Jillette was on Joe Rogan recently. Joe was saying Trump acts just like a guy on speed. I found this suggestion plausible but not compelling. If he is a speed freak, there's a good chance he'll have a meltdown during the campaign. Wouldn't surprise me to learn he's already started.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
thoreau
Posts: 28594
Joined: 06 May 2010, 12:56
Location: Back to the lab again

Re: Putin on the Writs

Post by thoreau » 24 Sep 2019, 11:42

If Trump melted down and started acting even crazier than usual, would anyone notice? His base is all in at this point, and the people who were prepared to hold their nose for him have already accepted the stench.

Unless he overdoses, the drugs have nothing to offer us.
"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 20 guests