Congrats Docktor T, you did it

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Re: Congrats Docktor T, you did it

Post by Sandy » 28 Jul 2015, 21:41

I don't get the Happy hate. It is a perfectly cromulent pop song, no more, no less.

Plus it helped take out a serial text-while-driver.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

Warren

Post by Warren » 29 Jul 2015, 00:55

Sandy wrote:I don't get the Happy hate. It is a perfectly cromulent pop song, no more, no less.

Plus it helped take out a serial text-while-driver.
Isn't that reason enough to hate it?
Hating "I'm too sexy" is like wearing your boxers over your pants. There's a part of your brain that isn't getting something pretty basic.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Randroid 2.0

Post by Randroid 2.0 » 29 Jul 2015, 00:57

Warren, why do you waste great lines like that on offal like Right Said Fred?

Sent from my iPhone, to the delight of Warren.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 29 Jul 2015, 01:00

Maybe all you haters are just too sexy for this song?
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

Randroid 2.0

Post by Randroid 2.0 » 29 Jul 2015, 01:01

Probs. :P

Sent from my iPhone, to the delight of Warren.

Taktix®

Post by Taktix® » 29 Jul 2015, 09:39

The difference is that everyone is talking about Pharrell as if he were this distinguished musical genius for Happy or Blurred Lines, whereas no one, including the people that made the song, took I'm Too Sexy as a serious work of performance art...
"Guilty as charged. Go ahead and ban me from the mall." - Ellie

Warren

Post by Warren » 29 Jul 2015, 11:08

Taktix® wrote:The difference is that everyone is talking about Pharrell as if he were this distinguished musical genius for Happy or Blurred Lines [sic]
This is why I say there is no Top 40 anymore. In the BN era (Before Napster), music was experienced almost exclusively via, live performance, playback of physical media, or the radio. Finding new music was accomplished (again, almost exclusively) when songs were added to radio station play lists. Record labels wielded tremendous power in determining what people listened to. Their influence led to generic formulaic popular music that people would purchase. And by people I mean of course teenagers.

It is impossible to overstate the importance of social acceptance within the teenage population of the middle classes. And it is impossible to overstate the importance the role music plays in the social fabric of teenagers.

In the AiP world (After iPod) music is free for the taking to anyone who wants it. Which is not to say music is never purchased, but the recording label oligarchy has been relegated to the ash-heap of history. People now experience music from countless sources and find new music on their own terms. People's taste has become if not more refined, certainly more eclectic. And not only are people listening to more stuff and more different stuff, there is more stuff, and more different stuff being produced, recorded, and available for the asking than ever before.

Ironically the result is that so called popular music has become even more generic and formulaic than in the BN era. The demand for music as social glue hasn't diminished. "Happy" and "Blurred Lines" fill this role. It succeeds precisely because it sounds the same as every other popular song. Adherence to formula signal their social acceptability. It's what the kids are listening to when they get together. Perhaps they even feel it defines them as a generation. But they aren't anybody's favorite song. Or maybe they are. I don't know, that's just the way it looks through this geezer's increasingly farsighted eyes.
Last edited by Warren on 29 Jul 2015, 11:52, edited 4 times in total.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 29 Jul 2015, 11:10

Technically, song titles should be put in quotation marks and not italics.

(Hey, you guys get to have boner fights over scientific notation; let me use my English degree for something pedantic.)

Warren

Post by Warren » 29 Jul 2015, 11:11

Ellie wrote:Technically, song titles should be put in quotation marks and not italics.

(Hey, you guys get to have boner fights over scientific notation; let me use my English degree for something pedantic.)
I'll fix up my last post, but you'll have to keep reminding me.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Taktix®

Post by Taktix® » 29 Jul 2015, 11:22

I agree with Warren, but I'll just add that a major factor in all this was technology, specifically the cheapening of recording and mixing equipment. Record companies could be the gatekeepers when you have to have hundreds of thousands of $$$ in mixing equipment and facilities. Now all one needs is a solid computer and a few programs...

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 29 Jul 2015, 11:27

Taktix® wrote:The difference is that everyone is talking about Pharrell as if he were this distinguished musical genius for Happy or Blurred Lines, whereas no one, including the people that made the song, took I'm Too Sexy as a serious work of performance art...
It's true that people tended not to treat 1990's catchy pop singers as great sages of the musical arts.

That's because they were busy treating alternative rockers and (in the second half of the decade) singer-songwriter chicks as great sages of the musical arts.
"The first rule of Grylliade club is 'Why are we talking about Grylliade club?'"
--Jake

Highway

Post by Highway » 29 Jul 2015, 11:31

Taktix® wrote:I agree with Warren, but I'll just add that a major factor in all this was technology, specifically the cheapening of recording and mixing equipment. Record companies could be the gatekeepers when you have to have hundreds of thousands of $$$ in mixing equipment and facilities. Now all one needs is a solid computer and a few programs...
This may be more important moving forward, but at the moment, it's still mostly wishful thinking. To produce, and most of all distribute, music to anything more than your friends, you almost have to have studio backing, even now (the other way is if it's truly viral, but most of those are because it's "OMG look how awful this is!").

I don't know how Pandora, Spotify, Apple Music, Amazon, and others do with introducing new acts that they deem to be similar to others, but there's still a lot of gatekeeping, there's still a lot of 'experts' judging what's worth listening to, and there's still a big gap between artists and listeners.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Taktix®

Post by Taktix® » 29 Jul 2015, 11:31

thoreau wrote:
Taktix® wrote:The difference is that everyone is talking about Pharrell as if he were this distinguished musical genius for Happy or Blurred Lines, whereas no one, including the people that made the song, took I'm Too Sexy as a serious work of performance art...
It's true that people tended not to treat 1990's catchy pop singers as great sages of the musical arts.

That's because they were busy treating alternative rockers and (in the second half of the decade) singer-songwriter chicks as great sages of the musical arts.
Well, some were. Not many, but some...

Taktix®

Post by Taktix® » 29 Jul 2015, 11:39

Highway wrote:
Taktix® wrote:I agree with Warren, but I'll just add that a major factor in all this was technology, specifically the cheapening of recording and mixing equipment. Record companies could be the gatekeepers when you have to have hundreds of thousands of $$$ in mixing equipment and facilities. Now all one needs is a solid computer and a few programs...
This may be more important moving forward, but at the moment, it's still mostly wishful thinking. To produce, and most of all distribute, music to anything more than your friends, you almost have to have studio backing, even now (the other way is if it's truly viral, but most of those are because it's "OMG look how awful this is!").

I don't know how Pandora, Spotify, Apple Music, Amazon, and others do with introducing new acts that they deem to be similar to others, but there's still a lot of gatekeeping, there's still a lot of 'experts' judging what's worth listening to, and there's still a big gap between artists and listeners.
True-ish, though overcoming a marketing hurdle might be easier than overcoming a production cost hurdle.

Regardless, better tech also translates to faster in this case, as in "why spend months recording and polishing an album when you can crank out derivative trash and bring it to market at lightning speed." I'm looking at you, the people behind the blatant George Clinton rip-off called "Uptown Funk."

Warren

Post by Warren » 29 Jul 2015, 11:41

Highway wrote:

I know several working musicians. None of them have studio backing. They all record music in their home/basement and upload it. The technical quality of what they produce is as good as the White Album, if not better. A couple of them have followers numbered in the dozens. Even for the ones with just a few followers, making money is done by playing gigs and you put your music online to get hired. You can't be a rock star without a label but you can earn a modest income.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 29 Jul 2015, 11:46

Taktix® wrote:
thoreau wrote:

Well, some were. Not many, but some...
I'll be the first to say that the 90's produced some fine musical artists. My bar for "great 90's artist" is probably lower than that of any other grylliader.

But the press sucked the dicks of some pretty crappy musicians along the way.
"The first rule of Grylliade club is 'Why are we talking about Grylliade club?'"
--Jake

Taktix®

Post by Taktix® » 29 Jul 2015, 11:53

thoreau wrote:But the press sucked the dicks of some pretty crappy musicians along the way.

Warren

Post by Warren » 29 Jul 2015, 11:54

Taktix® wrote:
thoreau wrote:But the press sucked the dicks of some pretty crappy musicians along the way.
Top of the fucking list.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 29 Jul 2015, 11:57

Joshua Tree is a solid album
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 29 Jul 2015, 12:00

Early U2 music is great, later stuff is still respectable, regardless of the personalities of the members of the group.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 29 Jul 2015, 12:17

the innominate one wrote:Early U2 music is great, later stuff is still respectable, regardless of the personalities of the members of the group.
By the late nineties, they were easy listening for old, nostalgic people, though.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 29 Jul 2015, 12:22

Randroid 2.0 wrote:
Mo wrote:Nothing can match the artistic brilliance of, "Clap along if you feel like a room without a roof."
hey I thought that captured the open-air, free, breezy summerday feeling of being Happy. I think you're just jelly.
I know we've all moved on but I simply must argue that this is a terrible line. A room without a roof is at best unfinished but mostly sounds like something in a slum or a tornado's aftermath. Okay, carry on.

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 29 Jul 2015, 12:24

Eric the .5b wrote:
the innominate one wrote:Early U2 music is great, later stuff is still respectable, regardless of the personalities of the members of the group.
By the late nineties, they were easy listening for old, nostalgic people, though.
I have How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb and really can't tell you why. I think the wife liked "Vertigo", maybe? But in general, I'll agree with your characterization of late stage U2.

Interestingly, that's the only album of theirs I have after Zooropa.
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

Warren

Post by Warren » 29 Jul 2015, 12:27

And the press was fellating Bono for his political activism, who just happened to be a musical genius.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 29 Jul 2015, 14:15

Eric the .5b wrote:
I'll stipulate to that characterization.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex