Rum and coke with a lime

Mo

Rum and coke with a lime

Post by Mo » 17 Dec 2014, 12:19

So is the Cuba move by Obama an actual good move by his administration or just a way to troll Jeb?
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Fin Fang Foom

Re: Rum and coke with a lime

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 17 Dec 2014, 12:20

Why not both?

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 17 Dec 2014, 12:38

I think Cuba is the enduring shining example of how well sanctions work. We'll still have that, I suppose, even if they end.

More seriously, we stand a much better chance of turning Cuba into less of shithole with trade than we've managed over the past 60 years with sanctions. Jeb already trolled himself with his base. He's all in on common core and 'amnesty'*, so he can't win the primaries.

*for certain values of what R primary voters perceive as amnesty
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 17 Dec 2014, 12:41

What has China done to prompt this? ;)
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 17 Dec 2014, 12:41

tr0g wrote:I think Cuba is the enduring shining example of how well sanctions work. We'll still have that, I suppose, even if they end.
I somehow doubt anybody will apply that lesson elsewhere, though.

I propose that we launch an immediate exchange program between Cuba and Hawaii, exchanging delegations of chefs who specialize in pork. It's admittedly not the most kosher way to seek votes from retirees in Palm Beach, but it is the most delicious way to patch up relations between our countries.
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 18 Dec 2014, 14:39

Yeah, I give props to Obama based on what I know so far. Politically, however, I'd guess Florida just got considerably Redder.

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 18 Dec 2014, 16:09

thoreau wrote:
tr0g wrote:I think Cuba is the enduring shining example of how well sanctions work. We'll still have that, I suppose, even if they end.
Very much this.

On the H&R thread on the subject, I said that sanctions hurt the people more than the elites and was told that they worked in South Africa.

Which was beside the point.

Even with the supposedly successful South Africa sanctions, the effect was much worse on the ordinary people than on the elites. The old aparthied regime even managed to build nukes while the sanctions were in place.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 18 Dec 2014, 16:11

D.A. Ridgely wrote:Yeah, I give props to Obama based on what I know so far. Politically, however, I'd guess Florida just got considerably Redder.
I don't know. A lot of the Cuban community is now second and third generation and really don't give much of a damn about 'the old country' anymore.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Warren

Post by Warren » 18 Dec 2014, 16:13

Rand Paul continues to fill me with hope for the future. Not his future necessarily, but staking out that libertarian ground in the GOP with the old guard on the other side.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Mo

Post by Mo » 18 Dec 2014, 16:53

Aresen wrote:
thoreau wrote:
Very much this.

On the H&R thread on the subject, I said that sanctions hurt the people more than the elites and was told that they worked in South Africa.

Which was beside the point.

Even with the supposedly successful South Africa sanctions, the effect was much worse on the ordinary people than on the elites. The old aparthied regime even managed to build nukes while the sanctions were in place.
I would say that the people ended up better (those freed from apartheid). However, I would say the thing about sanctions is that they either work quickly* or they don't work at all. You get a decade, if they don't work then give them up. The possible exception is military economic sanctions.

* South Africa or, more recently, Russia
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 18 Dec 2014, 16:59

South Africa jettisoned apartheid because the collapse of Organized Communism allowed De Klerk to take a chance that letting go of power wouldn't bring about a Marxist ruled country and associated reprisals.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 18 Dec 2014, 23:58

Kolohe wrote:South Africa jettisoned apartheid because the collapse of Organized Communism allowed De Klerk to take a chance that letting go of power wouldn't bring about a Marxist ruled country and associated reprisals.
Well, half a loaf and all that.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Taktix®

Post by Taktix® » 19 Dec 2014, 16:25

Aresen wrote:
D.A. Ridgely wrote:Yeah, I give props to Obama based on what I know so far. Politically, however, I'd guess Florida just got considerably Redder.
I don't know. A lot of the Cuban community is now second and third generation and really don't give much of a damn about 'the old country' anymore.
Not true.

While I was kidding about a mass return of Cuba in the other thread, I will say that the young Cubans still bear the hate-torch for Castro -- their parents did a great job of passing along stories of Castro's deeds, and many of them still have relatives that are still suffering under the Castro dynasty.

It's like South Florida is home to a million Hannibal Barcas with bad taste in suits...
"Guilty as charged. Go ahead and ban me from the mall." - Ellie

Warren

Post by Warren » 19 Dec 2014, 16:30

Taktix® wrote: It's like South Florida is home to a million Hannibal Barcas with bad taste in suits...
I forget. Is he the one from Silence of the Lambs, or The A Team ?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

JD

Post by JD » 16 Jul 2018, 14:00

!

Cuba will recognize private property in its new constitution

Although before we get too excited, we should note that it's very likely it means "recognize" in the sense of saying "yeah, we know what that is" right before trampling it into the dirt.
...according to Reuters, the Cuban government issued a regulation saying it would include property seizure as a possible fine for those who are self-employed earlier this week.
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

JD

Post by JD » 16 Jul 2018, 14:01

"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 16 Jul 2018, 14:11

I'm pretty sure all of your previous caveats apply equally here.
"pedialyte is like planned parenthood for hangovers. it costs you a bit, but it makes your little problem go away until the next time you drink too much."-- dhex
"Sweet tea is the archvillain in Wilford Brimley's origin story." -- Ellie

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 16 Jul 2018, 14:13

"Just because you're innocent doesn't mean we won't put you in jail."