Market Failure!

Hugh Akston

Re: Market Failure!

Post by Hugh Akston »

I mean technically you can pluralize hundred when it gets to around 106, right?
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman
Kolohe

Post by Kolohe »

Hugh Akston wrote: 11 May 2020, 18:55 I mean technically you can pluralize hundred when it gets to around 106, right?
nah 200 minimum
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex
Warren

Post by Warren »

Kolohe wrote: 11 May 2020, 23:35
Hugh Akston wrote: 11 May 2020, 18:55 I mean technically you can pluralize hundred when it gets to around 106, right?
nah 200 minimum
Oh no. Certainly by 150.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

First off, is it safe to let Jeff Bezos do his Elon Musk cosplay if he's also in charge of the people who built Prime Music?

Second and perhaps more importantly, how the hell did anyone allow The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra Plays the Music of Rush happen? How many people died trying to stop this monstrosity? The answer can't be none. The producers have to have been mercilessly slaughtering those who valiantly gave the last measure of devotion to the sonic wellbeing of anyone unfortunate enough to click on that shit out of morbid curiosity.
"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

"That's just tokenism with extra steps." - Jake
Warren

Post by Warren »

Guys guys. This shit is coming in too fast. I can't keep up. You got to provide a link or some exposition when referencing breaking news. Help a geezer out eh.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis »

lunchstealer wrote: 17 Jun 2020, 17:55Second and perhaps more importantly, how the hell did anyone allow The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra Plays the Music of Rush happen? How many people died trying to stop this monstrosity? The answer can't be none. The producers have to have been mercilessly slaughtering those who valiantly gave the last measure of devotion to the sonic wellbeing of anyone unfortunate enough to click on that shit out of morbid curiosity.
"Who's playing with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra, c'mon people anybody order a Royal Philharmonic Orchestra? Possibly while high?"

But man this hits on a pet peeve with youtube. It is relentless about pushing Symphonic Yes And You and I on me. I'm not clicking on shit like that, but they are somehow convinced that's what I want because a while back I was re-listening a whole bunch of Yes. I want actual Yes, not an easy listening arrangement.

Symphonies playing rock can be well done but it's extremely rare so my default is avoid.
First off, is it safe to let Jeff Bezos do his Elon Musk cosplay if he's also in charge of the people who built Prime Music?
I thought Prime Music seemed like a nice idea considering it was free with prime, but after listening to a few things the sound quality was just not up to snuff even for rock, IMO.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."
Highway

Post by Highway »

dead_elvis wrote: 17 Jun 2020, 20:29
lunchstealer wrote: 17 Jun 2020, 17:55Second and perhaps more importantly, how the hell did anyone allow The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra Plays the Music of Rush happen? How many people died trying to stop this monstrosity? The answer can't be none. The producers have to have been mercilessly slaughtering those who valiantly gave the last measure of devotion to the sonic wellbeing of anyone unfortunate enough to click on that shit out of morbid curiosity.
"Who's playing with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra, c'mon people anybody order a Royal Philharmonic Orchestra? Possibly while high?"

But man this hits on a pet peeve with youtube. It is relentless about pushing Symphonic Yes And You and I on me. I'm not clicking on shit like that, but they are somehow convinced that's what I want because a while back I was re-listening a whole bunch of Yes. I want actual Yes, not an easy listening arrangement.

Symphonies playing rock can be well done but it's extremely rare so my default is avoid.
I thought Prime Music seemed like a nice idea considering it was free with prime, but after listening to a few things the sound quality was just not up to snuff even for rock, IMO.
Yeah, Prime Music is only good enough for background music when you aren't actually listening to it. I don't know how good Prime Music HD is that they charge ANOTHER 8 bucks a month for, because it feels like a giant ripoff. "Hey, listen to not good streaming quality for 8 bucks a month on Unlimited, but if you want slightly better, you could pay us ANOTHER 8 bucks a month."
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."
lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

It's been forever since I heard it but IIRC their Yes stuff was at least instrumental. They had some fucking soprano singing "Subdivisions" in full operatic mode and I can't unhear that you fuckheads.
"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

"That's just tokenism with extra steps." - Jake
Number 6

Post by Number 6 »

lunchstealer wrote: 18 Jun 2020, 11:35 It's been forever since I heard it but IIRC their Yes stuff was at least instrumental. They had some fucking soprano singing "Subdivisions" in full operatic mode and I can't unhear that you fuckheads.
That's..... That's..... Just awful
" i discovered you eat dog dicks out of a bowl marked "dog dicks" because you're too stupid to remember where you left your bowl of dog dicks."-dhex, of course.
"Come, let us go forth and not rape together"-Jadagul
Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

This is not a market "failure," merely an illustration of how Amazon is indeed great for people living out in Sticksville where there are no convenient retail stores, or people who can't get out for whatever reason (quarantine) and all other things, it also tends to be a LOT more expensive than standard-to-discount retail options -- definitely more on par with the more "upscale" brick-and-mortar options.

The other day I bought some nail polish, possibly for the first time since I've been legally old enough to drink, because I needed something to mark/single out a certain plastic bottle with multiple identical siblings, and permanent marker didn't work. I bought it at Dollar Tree -- so named because everything costs one dollar plus applicable sales taxes -- and instead of a single ordinary bottle I got a three-pack of smaller bottles in different colors. Out of curiosity, I did a bit of online searching about that brand: it has a fairly substantial following among people (especially younger ones) who like it as actual nail polish, because it comes in a wide variety of colors and also because the smaller (7 ml/ 0.25 oz.) bottles make it far less likely the contents will dry out before you can use it all--an especial hazard for someone who "likes nail polish" enough to have a varied collection of bottles. There's even videos or forum chats where nail-polish aficionados tell people "Seriously, even if you don't like dollar stores in general, check out your nearest Dollar Tree and see if they carry three-packs of the iGlow nail polish. If not, here's places where you can find them for $2 or $3 for a 3-pack."

Out of curiosity I looked it up on Amazon; found one seller offering a three pack for $5 plus $4.74 in shipping, another offering free shipping but a price of $8.99 (only 6 left in stock -- order soon).
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b
Ellie

Post by Ellie »

I need a morality / "is this a dick move" ruling, please.

I'm planning to buy some insulation at Home Depot. They have a pretty sweet "bulk buy" discount where you get 30% off if you buy 15 or more packs. I know I will only need 7 packs. What if I buy 15 but return 8 of them a couple days later? (I know I'll get refunded at the discounted price, that's fine, but I'm still saving 30% on those 7 packs.)
"Yours is the much better comeback." -JD
D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

I'm not going to bother to track down and read the fine print but there is a chance they've already taken such shenanigans into account and that if you try to return some of them they will only refund you up to whatever is over what you would have paid for the seven you keep at full price. OTOH, maybe customer satisfaction is more important to them. If you do it, let us know what happens.
Aresen

Post by Aresen »

Alternative plan: Find someone who needs eight or more of the same item. Make a joint purchase with them and share the cost proportionately.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex
JD

Post by JD »

Eh, not really much of a dick move, IMO. As DAR says, they probably have a contingency for that, and it's not like you're stealing them.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston
Kolohe

Post by Kolohe »

I am though thinking of that recent story about the guy in India that wanted to buy a bit more rice than normal and wound up with an entire box truck of rice at his doorstep.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex
Highway

Post by Highway »

I dunno how the price compares, but you might save some amount with the "pallet" of 8, rather than going for the bulk buy of 15, without the hassle of returning a whole bunch.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."