Market Failure!

Mo
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Market Failure!

Post by Mo » 01 Jul 2010, 13:40

The Kindle version of "The Sun Also Rises" is more expensive than the paperback version. This despite the fact that the Kindle version has a marginal cost of $0 to S&S.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Hugh Akston
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Hugh Akston » 01 Jul 2010, 14:23

dbcooper wrote:
JD wrote:Ugh. WTF did Google do to Google News? It used to be nice and clean; now it looks like every other "portal" site, crapped up with a bunch of useless noise. I'm starting to think that Google has lost its original designers, who understood the value of simplicity.
Ha! Was just thinking that. In that "poll" box click "reset personalisations" (or something similar) and that will put things back to the way they're supposed to be.
SRSLY. It was bad enough when they added the 2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa™ (whatever that is) sidebar without asking. But now it's just a mess. The columns are too narrow, the story excerpt is all but worthless, and there are more links and stories that I don't give a shit about.

Is this what using facebook is like?
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

JD

Post by JD » 01 Jul 2010, 15:14

No. Facebook is still (relatively) clean. I think they learned from the horror that was Myspace, and prevented people from doing all kinds of crazy customization to their pages.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

fyodor

Post by fyodor » 01 Jul 2010, 18:33

JD wrote:No. Facebook is still (relatively) clean. I think they learned from the horror that was Myspace, and prevented people from doing all kinds of crazy customization to their pages.
Some of those customizations look plenty cool but they always take (mostly took) me a fricken hour to load. Is that just me? I got high speed and all, but still, loooooong loads. Usually isn't (mostly wasn't) worth it.

Amazing how MySpace went from runaway king of the social networks to mostly forgotten and ignored. Or at least that's my impression.
Your optimism just confuses and enrages me. - Timothy

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 01 Jul 2010, 20:51

myspace = netscape?
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 02 Jul 2010, 11:50

A combination of market failure and techno-incompetence, I'm afraid. I see a reasonably inexpensive DVD burner and decide to spring for it. I get home and discover I need a SATA data and SATA power cable. Okay, so I go back and buy these and that's fair enough, I should have checked first.. Then I discover that of the five onboard SATA connectors, the two unused ones are RAID (?), whatever the flock that means, and somehow won't work with my measly little DVD burner, so I go back to the store and buy a SATA II card, take it home, install it, run the software driver CD rom, plug in my new drive and, first, the computer tells me I have installed two, count 'em, two new DVD or CD burners, assigning them both new drive letters. Then the whole system begins to crash every time I try to use either the new or the old DVD burner. So now I suspect this requires somehow adjusting the BIOS settings, something I'm entirely incapable of even attempting without likely causing the entire computer to begin to smoke and throw off sparks.

Bottom line, what should have been a plug & play addition of a new driver has turned into a techno-nightmare.

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 02 Jul 2010, 14:39

I think you will find that things began to go wrong at this point:
D.A. Ridgely wrote:I see a reasonably inexpensive DVD burner and decide to spring for it.
Computer stuff, like haircuts, should never be spontaneously acquired.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

Timothy

Post by Timothy » 02 Jul 2010, 17:30

RAID array is for hard drives. You could probably have just moved the HD connector from wherever it is now to one of those, then hooked up the DVD drive to the HD connector.
"i say make some popcorn and give me a blanket to hide this six foot boner i have." --dhex

"The difference between Hodor! and Jeb! is that at the end of the day, one of them gets to stop pretending he's retarded." -- Jasper

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 02 Jul 2010, 23:41

Timothy wrote:RAID array is for hard drives. You could probably have just moved the HD connector from wherever it is now to one of those, then hooked up the DVD drive to the HD connector.
I may try that. Any thoughts on why, even after disconnecting the new DVD drive, my system says I have two, count 'em, two CD rom drives labeled F and I drives? (For that matter, the computer apparently thinks I've got an A drive floppy disk driver, too, and always has. However, I don't and never did.)

Timothy

Post by Timothy » 03 Jul 2010, 10:36

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
Timothy wrote:RAID array is for hard drives. You could probably have just moved the HD connector from wherever it is now to one of those, then hooked up the DVD drive to the HD connector.
I may try that. Any thoughts on why, even after disconnecting the new DVD drive, my system says I have two, count 'em, two CD rom drives labeled F and I drives? (For that matter, the computer apparently thinks I've got an A drive floppy disk driver, too, and always has. However, I don't and never did.)
Without futzing around with the system myself, I'm going to blame Warlocks. I might just open the box back up, disconnect all the drives, reconnect them, and then boot the thing up. Autodetect can be weird.
"i say make some popcorn and give me a blanket to hide this six foot boner i have." --dhex

"The difference between Hodor! and Jeb! is that at the end of the day, one of them gets to stop pretending he's retarded." -- Jasper

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 03 Jul 2010, 17:36

peejaybee wrote:
I'm remembering the old kiddie hymn "God's gonna get you for that / God's gonna get you for that / There ain't no place to run and hide / for he knows where you're at."
That action figure's theme song should be the ol' timey classic "God Will Fuck You Up"
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Mo

Post by Mo » 30 Jul 2010, 15:58

People will soon be able to use their cell phones on the subway. Urge to kill, rising...
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

JD

Post by JD » 30 Jul 2010, 16:14

Yes. I may have to learn how to build cell phone jammers. Ideally ones small and cheap enough that I can just casually scatter them throughout the subway system.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

Mo

Post by Mo » 19 Aug 2010, 08:31

The entire airline industry is a market failure.
Customers who pay the fee, which ranges from $19 to $39, will be among the first to board, giving them a chance to snag coveted overhead bins. As passengers carry on luggage to avoid baggage fees, overhead space has become harder to find.
Gee, no one could have possibly foreseen this. Overhead bins get fuller as people avoid checked baggage fees and, as a result, overhead bins get crushed for space. Is there any other reputable business* that actively try to piss off their customers as much as humanly possible?

* This excludes companies like payday lenders and used car dealers

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 19 Aug 2010, 08:48

It's also a form of tax evasion; all the extra fees that used to be in the cost of a ticket aren't being subject to the 7.5% (iirc) tariff that a seat is. But of course, they have the audicity to bitch about general aviation.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Mo

Post by Mo » 19 Aug 2010, 09:03

Kolohe wrote:It's also a form of tax evasion; all the extra fees that used to be in the cost of a ticket aren't being subject to the 7.5% (iirc) tariff that a seat is. But of course, they have the audicity to bitch about general aviation.
It's more avoidance than evasion. Evasion is illegal, avoidance is legal.

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 19 Aug 2010, 11:42

Mo wrote:
Kolohe wrote:It's also a form of tax evasion; all the extra fees that used to be in the cost of a ticket aren't being subject to the 7.5% (iirc) tariff that a seat is. But of course, they have the audicity to bitch about general aviation.
It's more avoidance than evasion. Evasion is illegal, avoidance is legal.
I don't say evasion, I say avoision.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 19 Aug 2010, 13:00

JD wrote:Yes. I may have to learn how to build cell phone jammers. Ideally ones small and cheap enough that I can just casually scatter them throughout the subway system.
JD, have you already forgotten what happened to the guys who put lite-brites around Boston?

"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 19 Aug 2010, 13:03

As to airlines, there should also be a fee for late boarding, since the people hunting for remaining overhead space are slowing everything down.

And the people who don't bring any luggage are upsetting the weight balance of the plane. They should pay a fee too.

So, checked baggage = fee.
Early boarding to get first dibs on overhead storage = fee
Late boarding and slow hunt for overhead storage= fee
No luggage = fee
"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 19 Aug 2010, 13:05

thoreau wrote:As to airlines, there should also be a fee for late boarding, since the people hunting for remaining overhead space are slowing everything down.

And the people who don't bring any luggage are upsetting the weight balance of the plane. They should pay a fee too.

So, checked baggage = fee.
Early boarding to get first dibs on overhead storage = fee
Late boarding and slow hunt for overhead storage= fee
No luggage = fee
Urinating/defecating upsets the balance in flight! So that should be a double fee. Walking while in flight must be correctly patterned and synchronized or it's a triple fee.
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

JD

Post by JD » 19 Aug 2010, 13:15

thoreau wrote:JD, have you already forgotten what happened to the guys who put lite-brites around Boston?
Well, more like "never really learned", to be honest. But I see that the answer is "released with all charges dropped". ;-)

Mo

Post by Mo » 19 Aug 2010, 13:21

dbcooper wrote:Urinating/defecating upsets the balance in flight! So that should be a double fee.
RyanAir has that covered. They're going to charge for bathroom usage.

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 19 Aug 2010, 13:24

Mo wrote:
dbcooper wrote:Urinating/defecating upsets the balance in flight! So that should be a double fee.
RyanAir has that covered. They're going to charge for bathroom usage.
I wonder how long that lasts before the EU rules it illegal? I hate Ryan Air so am biased them though.
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 19 Aug 2010, 13:26

Over at UO I've put up suggestions for an airline pricing scheme:

http://highclearing.com/index.php/archi ... 8/19/11617
--Mo

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 23 Aug 2010, 12:29

This is possibly the worst article on finance ever put out by someone whose not deliberately trying scam you for money.
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/ ... TE=DEFAULT