Market Failure!

Warren

Re: Market Failure!

Post by Warren » 24 Dec 2018, 10:16

Mo wrote:
24 Dec 2018, 09:29
Your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.

https://nordic.businessinsider.com/thes ... ng-good2--
The answer is always: Yes, they should.
The special ingredient is silver. This particular metal is antimicrobial which is why NASA uses silver to purify water for astronauts.
Smurf Junk! I'm in.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 08 Feb 2019, 22:07

Today's google doodle for Canada honors the Quebec Winter Carnival

The second 'O' is supposed to honour the mascot, Bonhomme Carnaval:

Instead, it looks remarkably like someone with their pants down having a parti-coloured penis hanging out. (And a dog biting said penis.)
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 17 Feb 2019, 19:26

App Store ad:
31963896-7985-4345-9D28-CC711DF1BA2E.jpeg
31963896-7985-4345-9D28-CC711DF1BA2E.jpeg (466.69 KiB) Viewed 2314 times
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 17 Feb 2019, 21:47

To be completely fair, talking a deer into a subprime mortgage for a shitty McMansion he can't afford forcing him to rent his private pond out to Cabela's-shopping Trump voters until one day he looks out the back turret to see what a shambles his life has become and hangs himself from the second-floor foyer balcony is a new way to hunt.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

Mo

Market Failure!

Post by Mo » 18 Feb 2019, 15:24

Goldman Sachs makes a large in kind donation to the AOC 2020 re-election campaign.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/04/11/goldman ... model.html

ETA: just realized it’s a year old
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 19 Feb 2019, 16:24

I just went to a Star*ucks for the first time in several years (I happened to meet a friend and Star*ucks was the only thing close.) I ordered a hot chocolate and a scone.

The hot chocolate tasted like ersatz cocoa boiled 20 minutes in tap water.

The scone tasted like and had the same texture as chalk.

(Normally, this friend and I go to a place near where our horses are boarded. The hot chocolate and the baking are both excellent.)
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Mo

Post by Mo » 27 Feb 2019, 06:03

Wat!?
IBM has apologized after its recruitment webpages asked applicants whether their ethnicity was, among other options, the racial slurs Yellow and Mulatto.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 27 Feb 2019, 09:13

Mo wrote:
27 Feb 2019, 06:03
Wat!?
IBM has apologized after its recruitment webpages asked applicants whether their ethnicity was, among other options, the racial slurs Yellow and Mulatto.
I hope quadroon was included.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

The sun only shines when a woman is being sexually abused. - Warren

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 27 Feb 2019, 09:57

Guess what my morning meeting was about?

Mo

Post by Mo » 27 Feb 2019, 10:08

Octaroons?

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 27 Feb 2019, 17:40

Mo wrote:
27 Feb 2019, 10:08
Octaroons?
Actual LOL :D
"He's just an idiot elected by idiots." - Pham

Warren

Post by Warren » 27 Feb 2019, 20:30

Was there refreshment? Did they serve macaroons?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 28 Feb 2019, 19:32

Fnord.
IMG_7704.jpg
IMG_7704.jpg (1.67 MiB) Viewed 2027 times
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 13 Mar 2019, 00:13

There is a KAYAK ad on one of the websites that I am currently looking at:
HOTELS in Winnipeg $44/night
HOTELS in Zihuatanejo $35/night
Hmm. Tough choice. :lol:

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 13 Mar 2019, 10:55

You don't want to go to Zihuatanejo. It's crawling with US Marshals searching for an escaped murderer.
"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 13 Mar 2019, 11:18

Winnipeg -5° C (18° F)

Zihuatanejo 27° C (81° F)

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 13 Mar 2019, 11:20

Well, if you go there, you might want to rent a sailboat from this tall guy named Andy. I think he has a business partner, black guy by the name of Red.
"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 14 Mar 2019, 00:40

On two levels.
Screen Shot 2019-03-13 at 9.23.54 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-03-13 at 9.23.54 PM.png (61.23 KiB) Viewed 1802 times

Warren

Post by Warren » 14 Mar 2019, 21:00

thoreau wrote:
13 Mar 2019, 11:20
Well, if you go there, you might want to rent a sailboat from this tall guy named Andy. I think he has a business partner, black guy by the name of Red.
Rent a sailboat? Seriously? You should stop now before you embarrass yourself further.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 15 Mar 2019, 23:56

Not to beat a dead horse but I'm really flabbergasted on this one. There is simply no such thing as a simple audio breakout cable that includes digital input for input to iOS. There's an analog input adapter for iPhone, but no digital. What century is this? Due to picking a firewire interface over USB a million years ago I apparently have to keep my 8 year old laptop running forever. Fuck USB's infection of audio and lightning connectors and all this bullshit. Cheapest digital input interface for iPhone is like $250-300 (according to Sweetwater), which also gets me yet another crappy consumer mic pre and/or an instrument line that I don't need. There should be a standard 6 rca plug breakout cable for iPhone that has the standard stereo analog in/outs and s/pdif in/out and it should cost something like $30. The interface should be kept separate from the equipment, which should talk to computers through those inputs, not through fucking USB or Firewire. The whole reason I'm in this mess to begin with is that MacBooks only ever had digital out and not in, which never stopped pissing me off.

One shouldn't have to keep buying mics and mic pres just to keep up with computer evolution. Audio and computers should be separate things, connected by s/pdif, partly because whatever converters you end up with the outboard one I'm sure is almost always going to be better than onboard consumer laptops and phones (unless this has changed? I stopped paying attention for about 10 years)

I'm also frustrated another mic I have, the AT822 (not great but perfectly serviceable for casual scratch recording use and excels at portability) can't work well with anything modern. Worked great with the mini-disc that I bought it for, but since mini-disc became obsolete in about 5 minutes (and I always hated that it had no lossless option, the compression always bugged me), now I'm stuck with an unbalanced output battery powered mic that doesn't put out enough signal to not have to turn up the pre to unusably noisy levels and yet also can't take phantom power. It can plug into an old griffin iMic that is super noisy, or I have an old tape deck that takes 1/4 trs mic input (one of the output cable options with the mic), but that defeats the portability advantage. Not sure why those battery powered mics that were briefly made for Walkman and portable DATS and mini-disc and video cameras went away with those items, just because the tech they plugged into changed doesn't mean what they were used for went away.

/rant

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 16 Mar 2019, 00:07

dead_elvis wrote:
15 Mar 2019, 23:56
Not to beat a dead horse but I'm really flabbergasted on this one. There is simply no such thing as a simple audio breakout cable that includes digital input for input to iOS. There's an analog input adapter for iPhone, but no digital. What century is this? Due to picking a firewire interface over USB a million years ago I apparently have to keep my 8 year old laptop running forever. Fuck USB's infection of audio and lightning connectors and all this bullshit. Cheapest digital input interface for iPhone is like $250-300 (according to Sweetwater), which also gets me yet another crappy consumer mic pre and/or an instrument line that I don't need. There should be a standard 6 rca plug breakout cable for iPhone that has the standard stereo analog in/outs and s/pdif in/out and it should cost something like $30. The interface should be kept separate from the equipment, which should talk to computers through those inputs, not through fucking USB or Firewire. The whole reason I'm in this mess to begin with is that MacBooks only ever had digital out and not in, which never stopped pissing me off.

One shouldn't have to keep buying mics and mic pres just to keep up with computer evolution. Audio and computers should be separate things, connected by s/pdif, partly because whatever converters you end up with the outboard one I'm sure is almost always going to be better than onboard consumer laptops and phones (unless this has changed? I stopped paying attention for about 10 years)

I'm also frustrated another mic I have, the AT822 (not great but perfectly serviceable for casual scratch recording use and excels at portability) can't work well with anything modern. Worked great with the mini-disc that I bought it for, but since mini-disc became obsolete in about 5 minutes (and I always hated that it had no lossless option, the compression always bugged me), now I'm stuck with an unbalanced output battery powered mic that doesn't put out enough signal to not have to turn up the pre to unusably noisy levels and yet also can't take phantom power. It can plug into an old griffin iMic that is super noisy, or I have an old tape deck that takes 1/4 trs mic input (one of the output cable options with the mic), but that defeats the portability advantage. Not sure why those battery powered mics that were briefly made for Walkman and portable DATS and mini-disc and video cameras went away with those items, just because the tech they plugged into changed doesn't mean what they were used for went away.

/rant
That's a beautiful rant. I don't understand a thing you said, but it's a beautiful rant.

dhex

Post by dhex » 16 Mar 2019, 07:13

Why do you want to run stuff into your iPhone? I am curious about the application.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 16 Mar 2019, 12:24

Just the portability. If I want to hear what something sounds like in a hall, nicer not to have to drag too much stuff around. Also, it would have helped me avoid having to replace my laptop battery. I keep sinking money into this old lappy because everything I have is firewire. If I could get stuff into the phone I could make rational choices about replacing parts vs. putting that money towards new(er).

dhex

Post by dhex » 16 Mar 2019, 20:31

I gotcha. Sounds like a pickle.

I'd suggest giving B+H a call if you haven't already.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 17 Mar 2019, 16:18

dhex wrote:
16 Mar 2019, 20:31
I gotcha. Sounds like a pickle.

I'd suggest giving B+H a call if you haven't already.
This would all end if I could just bring myself to plunk down $650 for an apogee duet2 (and the extra $30 for the special iPhone-compatibility-cable because of course), but how do I know it will still be compatible with anything 5-10 years from now. And it also lacks s/pdif. But that's less important if it has decent pres as reviews indicate so it might be the more elegant if expensive solution.