Market Failure!

Aresen

Re: Market Failure!

Post by Aresen » 25 Nov 2018, 17:35

I have to ship my saddle to South Carolina for repair. I am annoyed by the fact that I have to buy insurance (from Fedex/UPS/Purolator - whichever I choose) to protect myself from loss in case THEY lose or damage during shipment.

(I do understand the 'moral hazard' aspect - that I might a lost/destroyed parcel was more valuable than it really was - but it still seems absurd on the face of it that I must insure myself against their fault.)
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 25 Nov 2018, 18:10

Aresen wrote:
25 Nov 2018, 17:35
I have to ship my saddle to South Carolina for repair. I am annoyed by the fact that I have to buy insurance (from Fedex/UPS/Purolator - whichever I choose) to protect myself from loss in case THEY lose or damage during shipment.

(I do understand the 'moral hazard' aspect - that I might a lost/destroyed parcel was more valuable than it really was - but it still seems absurd on the face of it that I must insure myself against their fault.)
Think of it as the standard rate and you can get a discount if you're willing to have it uninsured.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 25 Nov 2018, 18:16

Huh. The saddle place wouldn't happen to be in Camden, would it? Big horse culture there, to the point that there are signs in swankier parts of town saying, "Horses Forbidden on Sidewalks."
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 25 Nov 2018, 18:22

lunchstealer wrote:
25 Nov 2018, 18:16
Huh. The saddle place wouldn't happen to be in Camden, would it? Big horse culture there, to the point that there are signs in swankier parts of town saying, "Horses Forbidden on Sidewalks."
It's in Aiken, which is near Augusta.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 25 Nov 2018, 18:55

Also near the Savannah River Plant ("When Y'all Don't Want to Go All the Way to Idaho to Make Nuclear Waste, Just Come On Over!"
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 25 Nov 2018, 21:12

Ah yeah. I think Aiken is probably the other big SC horse town, and it's a bigger city overall, although Camden has the better known race.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Tuco

Post by Tuco » 26 Nov 2018, 05:57

I know some pretty good saddle makers in BC. Lemme know if you want names.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 26 Nov 2018, 10:41

Midwestern J Peterman has the stupidest freaking Cyber Monday setup. Any other store would have a section for clothes, a section for gun stuff, a section for optics, etc. MJP has it sorted by discount with ABSOLUTELY NO INDICATION of what's in each category. Ugh.

https://www.sportsmans guide.com/event?key=cybermondaybullseye
"He's just an idiot elected by idiots." - Pham

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 26 Nov 2018, 18:26

Sweet, uncaring heavens—why is Amazon doing the hard sell on DNA test kits?
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 26 Nov 2018, 18:43

So, I shipped the saddle off today. To my absolute astonishment, I discovered that if I declared that it had any value at all, I would have to pay US customs duty on the value of the saddle. This is a saddle that I paid US$4,250 for five years ago to an American company - the same company that I am shipping it to for repair. A company located in the USA who will employ Americans to do the repair - and employed Americans to manufacture it five years ago.

This does not strike me as a good way to promote US manufacturing.

It's a great saddle and I like it, but there are other manufacturers who produce quality saddles - some even in Canada.
Tuco wrote:
26 Nov 2018, 05:57
I know some pretty good saddle makers in BC. Lemme know if you want names.
Thanks, but this is simply a repair and the people who can do the specific repair are the manufacturer.

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 26 Nov 2018, 18:49

Eric the .5b wrote:
26 Nov 2018, 18:26
Well it worked on me last year so I guess I'm partly to blame.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 26 Nov 2018, 18:49

Also, tangential market failure: it's kinda depressing to look at ebook listings for lot of SF/F books from the 70s-90s for one very odd reason. That reason is because the publishers have lost the rights (or never had electronic rights) for a lot of the cover art they commissioned from actual, competent artists, and so they gave $20 and a few coupons to someone who slapped together an atrocity in Poser.

Example:

Not stunning, but a nice, well-done, atmospheric cover. Gives me a warm, fuzzy feeling of nostalgia for paperbacks of the late 80s/early 90s.

This one would make me expect it's a comic or manga if I had never heard of the book, but it's well-done and has personality.

And then, there's the cover for the Kindle edition:

And this was, no exaggeration, probably slapped together in an hour or two ten years ago, using stock digital models and poses, and the SOB didn't even bother to set up light sources or render shadows. I can actually do better than this, and I have zero visual artistic ability. I am genuinely dismayed at the idea that someone got paid for this.
Last edited by Eric the .5b on 26 Nov 2018, 18:53, edited 1 time in total.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 26 Nov 2018, 18:52

Painboy wrote:
26 Nov 2018, 18:49
Eric the .5b wrote:
26 Nov 2018, 18:26
Well it worked on me last year so I guess I'm partly to blame.
Don't half-ass it, man. Take all the blame! It's all your fault! :D

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 27 Nov 2018, 11:14

Aresen wrote:
26 Nov 2018, 18:43
So, I shipped the saddle off today. To my absolute astonishment, I discovered that if I declared that it had any value at all, I would have to pay US customs duty on the value of the saddle. This is a saddle that I paid US$4,250 for five years ago to an American company - the same company that I am shipping it to for repair. A company located in the USA who will employ Americans to do the repair - and employed Americans to manufacture it five years ago.
This is why Point Roberts exists, as you no doubt know.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 08 Dec 2018, 22:07

This is just pathetic. Are you *really* that lazy (and can afford to overpay for booze):
IMG_7604 copy.jpg
IMG_7604 copy.jpg (1.74 MiB) Viewed 2692 times
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 08 Dec 2018, 23:36

dead_elvis wrote:
08 Dec 2018, 22:07
This is just pathetic. Are you *really* that lazy (and can afford to overpay for booze):
Wow. A 750mL of JD is around $18-20 here, so that is a steep laziness tax.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

The sun only shines when a woman is being sexually abused. - Warren

Warren

Post by Warren » 09 Dec 2018, 01:31

I remember being a Sailor on liberty over in Spain. Four of us parked ourselves in a bar and whiled away the afternoon drinking rum and cokes. I remember fetching a round and watching the barkeep count in two small ice cubes in each glass, opening a 10oz bottle of Coke a Cola and divvying it up between the four glasses, then filling them up with rum. They loved American Sailors because we came off the ship with a week's pay and they could cheat us on the Coke which cost less than the rum.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 16 Dec 2018, 22:19

I'm not a big fan of the ever-increasing amount of items on Amazon that are weird Chinese/Japanese/Korean/god-only-knows brands with poorly written product descriptions and a mixture of legitimate and suspicious reviews.

Warren

Post by Warren » 16 Dec 2018, 23:29

Andrew wrote:
16 Dec 2018, 22:19
I'm not a big fan of the ever-increasing amount of items on Amazon that are weird Chinese/Japanese/Korean/god-only-knows brands with poorly written product descriptions and a mixture of legitimate and suspicious reviews.
Hmmm. I don't know how I seem to be exempt from this widely reported denigration of Amazon. I don't buy very much, maybe half a dozen orders a year. I keep a wish list and when I need something, I chuck on a few items off the list to fill out the order. I actually just let my free trial period of Prime remain active and renewed it another month. At any rate, I've been actively searching for goods this past month or so and the experience has been first rate.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

JD

Post by JD » 17 Dec 2018, 11:08

If you only look for certain, reasonably well-known things, you don't tend to run across the phenomenon too much, but it's definitely there. You can usually identify these things because the items have names that are about a mile long, because the sellers lard them with every possible keyword they think might help, like "Drawing Pad for Kids: Childrens Sketch Book for Drawing Practice ( Best Gifts for Age 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, and 12 Year Old Boys and Girls - Great Art Gift, Top Boy Toys and Books )" and the paid reviews thing is definitely an issue. Last Christmas we bought a radio-controlled robot for my nephew on Amazon because it had a good rating and we didn't read the reviews closely; when we got it, it was hilariously bad, so we went back to read the reviews more carefully, and there was a distinct difference between the 1-star reviews in coherent English and the 5-star reviews that said things like "This most excellent robot toy very good. Many amusing electronic function."
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

Warren

Post by Warren » 17 Dec 2018, 11:12

JD wrote:
17 Dec 2018, 11:08
If you only look for certain, reasonably well-known things, you don't tend to run across the phenomenon too much, but it's definitely there. You can usually identify these things because the items have names that are about a mile long, because the sellers lard them with every possible keyword they think might help, like "Drawing Pad for Kids: Childrens Sketch Book for Drawing Practice ( Best Gifts for Age 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, and 12 Year Old Boys and Girls - Great Art Gift, Top Boy Toys and Books )" and the paid reviews thing is definitely an issue. Last Christmas we bought a radio-controlled robot for my nephew on Amazon because it had a good rating and we didn't read the reviews closely; when we got it, it was hilariously bad, so we went back to read the reviews more carefully, and there was a distinct difference between the 1-star reviews in coherent English and the 5-star reviews that said things like "This most excellent robot toy very good. Many amusing electronic function."
Yeah, maybe my search technique has something to do with it. I often search by user rating, and typically won't even look at a product with less than 50 reviews, and I do skim the reviews.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 17 Dec 2018, 13:51

JD wrote:
17 Dec 2018, 11:08
If you only look for certain, reasonably well-known things, you don't tend to run across the phenomenon too much, but it's definitely there.
This is a good description of it. If there's a certain item/brand I'm looking for, it's never been an issue. Trying to find a basic mp3 player (I don't like using my phone) or some workout clothing? Fakes everywhere. The top rated/Amazon's suggestion mp3 player was 100% fake reviews. Compression workout clothing is Under Armour... and a bunch of weird brands loaded with questionable reviews.

Highway

Post by Highway » 17 Dec 2018, 15:08

Same with low cost electronics. Want some cheap Bluetooth headphones? Try to figure out which of these gazillion nonames has the least worst reviews.

Name brand stuff has a lot more counterfeiting problem than copycat problem.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Warren

Post by Warren » 17 Dec 2018, 16:24

Highway wrote:
17 Dec 2018, 15:08
Same with low cost electronics. Want some cheap Bluetooth headphones? Try to figure out which of these gazillion nonames has the least worst reviews.

Name brand stuff has a lot more counterfeiting problem than copycat problem.
In April of 2017 I bought a cheap pair of MEE Runaway Bluetooth headphones for $30. Then in Feb. of this year when I was flush with BtC money I wanted better quality and bought a pair of Audio-Technica. Both bought off Amazon on the strength of customer reviews. TBS I did the prerequisite googling homework before going to Amazon. I remain delighted with both purchases.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Mo

Post by Mo » 24 Dec 2018, 09:29

Your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.

https://nordic.businessinsider.com/thes ... ng-good2--
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex