Market Failure!

JasonL

Re: Market Failure!

Post by JasonL » 19 Apr 2017, 12:44

hahaha things that sounded dumb from the word "go".

Mo

Post by Mo » 19 Apr 2017, 13:03

My brother's office has a Juicero and he fucking hates it. My response was, "That's the stupidest fucking thing I've ever heard. Where did they get that idea from Silicon Valley outtakes?"
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

JD

Post by JD » 19 Apr 2017, 16:40

It is really hard to buy nail polish by the gallon, for some reason.
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

Highway

Post by Highway » 19 Apr 2017, 16:44

Because you'd think that you'd get some sort of price break on it, and nobody wants to let you do that. Be happy that it's still somewhat less expensive by volume than printer ink.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 19 Apr 2017, 17:59

Mo wrote:My brother's office has a Juicero and he fucking hates it. My response was, "That's the stupidest fucking thing I've ever heard. Where did they get that idea from Silicon Valley outtakes?"
And the hilarious thing is that it's exactly what I cynically suspected when I read about it, months ago.

"These are bags of chopped-up fruits and vegetables to be cold-squeezed in your Juicero..."

"They're just bags of juice, aren't they?"
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

nicole

Post by nicole » 21 Apr 2017, 11:46

Eric the .5b wrote:Juicero packs, you know, the $5 packs that produce 8 oz of juice when you squeeze them in a $400 machine that has to have a constant Wi-Fi connection? "How do you measure chi?" and all of that?

Can totally be squeezed by hand.
Update:
Juice Daddy even offers a video rebuttal to Bloomberg’s video of their reporter squeezing the juice out without the aid of four tons of pressing power. In the video, posted by Juicero’s head of communications Chrissy Trampedach, the bag is snipped open in the middle. We’re then treated to the glorious image of someone (presumably Chrissy herself) reaching into the bag, fishing out a nice squishy handful of orange mulch and smushing it through her fingers. It sounds like someone performing intimate acts on a bowl of oatmeal.
http://gizmodo.com/juicero-ceo-begs-you ... 1794507811
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

Taktix®

Post by Taktix® » 21 Apr 2017, 12:09

What's next, shitty coffee in expensive, little, proprietary disposable packets?
"Guilty as charged. Go ahead and ban me from the mall." - Ellie

Warren

Post by Warren » 23 Apr 2017, 16:02

Taktix® wrote:What's next, shitty coffee in expensive, little, proprietary disposable packets?
Ha ha ha. I bet someone actually tried to sell that.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 23 Apr 2017, 16:14

JD wrote:It is really hard to buy nail polish by the gallon, for some reason.
That stuff goes dry really fast once the bottle's been opened.

Semi-related: I have a vague memory of being very young, probably pre-kindergarten, when my grandmother was watching an afternoon-rerun showing of Green Acres: the joke was that the rich city-mouse woman visited the country store and asked for nail polish, and they only sold it in giant-sized gallon jugs.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 30 Apr 2017, 13:28

I bought some Luna Sandals back in 2012. They were hyped as part of the natural running boom and the design was supposedly based upon Tarahumara footwear. I didn't really care about that since I didn't want them for running, but they were durable and very minimal and I really liked them for regular wear. Mine are finally starting to wear out so a new pair would be nice.

It appears that they've been captured by the upper middle class white people market segment, just like every other minimal/lightweight company eventually is. The model I have is long gone, and even the successors are gone. Now all models have an extra foot strap (they originally only had the front y-strap and the back heel strap; now they all have that middle arch strap) and they're bigger and clunkier. Sigh.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

The sun only shines when a woman is being sexually abused. - Warren

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 07 Jun 2017, 22:34

Westjet - a Canadian airline that I prefer to use when flying inside Canada - has sent me the following emailL
We noticed that you haven't checked in with our emails for a while. The last thing we want to do is leave you behind, so please think of this as your final boarding call. If we don't hear from you soon, we will no longer send you emails. And saying goodbye isn't as fun as being the first to know about:
Seat sales and vacation deals
Exclusive member-only offers
Insider tips on destinations
News from WestJet's world
…and so much more.

Go on, stay subscribed.
:roll:
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 07 Jun 2017, 23:23

Aresen wrote:Westjet - a Canadian airline that I prefer to use when flying inside Canada - has sent me the following emailL
We noticed that you haven't checked in with our emails for a while. The last thing we want to do is leave you behind, so please think of this as your final boarding call. If we don't hear from you soon, we will no longer send you emails. And saying goodbye isn't as fun as being the first to know about:
Seat sales and vacation deals
Exclusive member-only offers
Insider tips on destinations
News from WestJet's world
…and so much more.

Go on, stay subscribed.
:roll:
I got one of those recently for an entirely different kind of business.

nicole

Post by nicole » 08 Jun 2017, 07:21

If they don't clean the list it makes their marketing programs look less effective.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 08 Jun 2017, 09:00

I'd be very happy if a company noticed that I didn't care and offered to remove me.

dhex

Post by dhex » 08 Jun 2017, 09:56

some orgs penalize (or at least bug out) over opt-out rates, so this is a good way of eliding that. (it's a dumb thing to bug out on presuming there's no massive shift in historical averages, tho)
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 08 Jun 2017, 12:15

dhex wrote:some orgs penalize (or at least bug out) over opt-out rates, so this is a good way of eliding that. (it's a dumb thing to bug out on presuming there's no massive shift in historical averages, tho)
The email providers also judge you via open rates and opt-outs. The longer you leave someone on there who isn't interested, the more likely they are to simply hit the "spam" button, which can endanger the email provider's agreements with major services like Gmail and Yahoo.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 24 Jun 2017, 12:37

I volunteered to exit a flight for the $800 travel voucher. But flights purchased directly from American Airlines cost an arm and a leg compared to Expedia, and it looks like I can't use the voucher with Expedia.

Much like the cake, the voucher is a lie.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 24 Jun 2017, 14:04

I hope they at least dragged you off the plane on your face. That kind of personal service is what you expect from American.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 24 Jun 2017, 15:02

thoreau wrote:I volunteered to exit a flight for the $800 travel voucher. But flights purchased directly from American Airlines cost an arm and a leg compared to Expedia, and it looks like I can't use the voucher with Expedia.

Much like the cake, the voucher is a lie.

How far in advance are you trying to book? We've never found Expedia worth using for delta booked months in advance.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 24 Jun 2017, 17:26

Christmas. I heard an offer of $800 and figured this would cover a good chunk of my Christmas trip back home. So I took my voucher and then went on the internet and saw sky-high prices at aa.com. So I compared with Expedia and the price difference for a party of two is... substantial.

I think I will call AA customer service and request the specific routes and times that Expedia is showing dirt cheap. They aren't showing up when I search aa.com. Maybe customer service can help. (I know. A man can dream, can't he?)

"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

Mo

Post by Mo » 24 Jun 2017, 19:01

That will likely work as the airlines have been at war with the OTAs in recent years.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 24 Jun 2017, 23:46

The flight that they moved me to was delayed an hour. It too was overbooked. But this time I did not take the voucher and now I have landed at LAX.

We are stuck on the tarmac waiting for a gate. This has been going on for 20+ minutes.

Even better, it is a remote terminal. We will need a shuttle bus to the main terminal. I can only assume that somebody from the airline's Quality Assurance department is currently puncturing the tires on the shuttle bus.

--Shem

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 25 Jun 2017, 00:04

I shit you not, they can't open the door to the plane and their IQs are too low to let us out the emergency exit.

However dumb my Dean might be, airline managers are dumber.

--Shem

Mo

Post by Mo » 28 Jun 2017, 11:01

Instead of making your Voice Assistant works for things that actually matters and instead make sure it's up to date on Talk Like a Pirate Day and make Covfefe jokes 2 weeks too late. Bang up priorities there.

El link: https://9to5mac.com/2017/06/27/siri-is- ... ent-maven/

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 08 Jul 2017, 00:25

Why does the MeUndies sizing chart ask me to measure around my "natural waist" (above my navel)? Literally no product you sell will ever touch that part of my body. Why aren't you asking for my ass circumference?
"NB stands for nota bene do not @ me" - nicole