Market Failure!

Ellie

Re: Market Failure!

Post by Ellie » 11 Jan 2017, 19:22

Saint Harridan makes a very nice leather belt, although I think cis dudes are the only people they don't market themselves to, haha.

Anyway it doesn't matter because Warren is awesome
"NB stands for nota bene do not @ me" - nicole

Warren

Post by Warren » 12 Jan 2017, 16:06

Fin Fang Foom wrote:
Jasper wrote:
JD wrote:It is so damn hard to find a decent-quality plain black leather belt. Seriously, that's all I want. About 1.5" wide, no stitching, binding, embossing, conchos, etc. A plain silver buckle. Leather that is actually halfway-decent leather and not some cheap plasticky stuff. The last belt I bought was only a few months ago and the shitty bonded leather is already starting to separate.
Get one at a Ren Faire. Mine is going on 6 years old and is in barely-used condition after wearing it almost daily for that long.

ETA - Oh shit, yes, Warren. There you go.
Can you get a leather mug from Warren though?
Sure, I could... Oh you got me.
Fuck DST sideways with a splintery fence post. - JD

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 12 Jan 2017, 16:25

Dangerman wrote:
Fin Fang Foom wrote:
Jasper wrote:
JD wrote:It is so damn hard to find a decent-quality plain black leather belt. Seriously, that's all I want. About 1.5" wide, no stitching, binding, embossing, conchos, etc. A plain silver buckle. Leather that is actually halfway-decent leather and not some cheap plasticky stuff. The last belt I bought was only a few months ago and the shitty bonded leather is already starting to separate.
Get one at a Ren Faire. Mine is going on 6 years old and is in barely-used condition after wearing it almost daily for that long.

ETA - Oh shit, yes, Warren. There you go.
Can you get a leather mug from Warren though?
Have him put gold fringe on the belt so cops know you're a free man travelling on the land, and not subject to their jurisdiction.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
"pedialyte is like planned parenthood for hangovers. it costs you a bit, but it makes your little problem go away until the next time you drink too much."-- dhex
"Sweet tea is the archvillain in Wilford Brimley's origin story." -- Ellie

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 13 Jan 2017, 21:53

I had to pick up a few small items on the way home tonight, so I dropped in to the local Walmart store.

Got my items. Total $3.65. Handed the cashier a twenty.

Cashier: "That's too big a bill. Do you have anything smaller?"

W T F ?
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 13 Jan 2017, 22:04

That's the first I've heard of a 20 being too big. No one around here takes 50s or 100s. I wonder if he was low on cash and couldn't make change if the next few customers were cash, too.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

The sun only shines when a woman is being sexually abused. - Warren

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 14 Jan 2017, 15:30

Andrew wrote:That's the first I've heard of a 20 being too big. No one around here takes 50s or 100s. I wonder if he was low on cash and couldn't make change if the next few customers were cash, too.
That's what I'm thinking, and he was inexperienced enough to brain fart on just saying he was low on cash.

Or he was just a lazy yutz who wasn't going to last long at that job. Seen that, too.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 14 Jan 2017, 21:22

Eric the .5b wrote:
Andrew wrote:That's the first I've heard of a 20 being too big. No one around here takes 50s or 100s. I wonder if he was low on cash and couldn't make change if the next few customers were cash, too.
That's what I'm thinking, and he was inexperienced enough to brain fart on just saying he was low on cash.

Or he was just a lazy yutz who wasn't going to last long at that job. Seen that, too.
She offered me change in loonies and toonies ($1 & $2 coins). That much coin in your pocket is a real pain.

What bothered me was that she hadn't had the initiative to get some five and ten dollar bills from her supervisor before she ran out. (I assume she started with some in her float before she opened the till.)
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Taktix®

Post by Taktix® » 24 Jan 2017, 11:02

Sony and LG to stop making 3D TV's

Somewhere, in the deep dark corners of the gryll, where no search for "market" or "failure" or "market failure" can touch, I called this...
"Guilty as charged. Go ahead and ban me from the mall." - Ellie

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 24 Jan 2017, 11:24

This was the closest I could find, because obviously during one of the busiest weeks of work all year, I should be spending my time at my desk doing Grylliade searches.

Taktix®

Post by Taktix® » 24 Jan 2017, 13:48

Ellie wrote:This was the closest I could find, because obviously during one of the busiest weeks of work all year, I should be spending my time at my desk doing Grylliade searches.
That's what I was thinking of, thank you!
"Guilty as charged. Go ahead and ban me from the mall." - Ellie

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 25 Jan 2017, 12:43

I would have called it if I didn't have such a terrible track record at calling these things. "iPad? It's got a stupid name and it's like a really really really unwieldy iPhone." It seemed like the least-good idea in television technology since those front-projection monstrosities of the '80s.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Highway

Post by Highway » 25 Jan 2017, 12:50

I wouldn't be surprised to see 3D stop being a thing at the movie theaters in less than 10 years, either, especially if there's no home market to add long tail sales. It hasn't been anything people especially seek out since or even before Avatar. If they can find another way to add a "premium" charge to movies instead of something that has all the hassles of 3D, they'd probably drop it as quickly as they can.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 25 Jan 2017, 12:58

Highway wrote:If they can find another way to add a "premium" charge to movies instead of something that has all the hassles of 3D, they'd probably drop it as quickly as they can.
They already do. The premium format auditorium at the local AMC has a bigger screen, better sound, and bigger comfier reclining seats with more leg room.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 25 Jan 2017, 12:59

Yeah those new recliners are sweet.

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 25 Jan 2017, 20:45

However, if the ticket booth line is outside the theater, picking seats through the glare of the ticket booth glass is a pain in the ass. Frankly, for most movies I'd rather just have people sit wherever there is room when they get there.

As for 3D, now that the theater investment has been made, they'll be around for a while but my guess is that mostly only animated films will be in 3D.

Warren

Post by Warren » 25 Jan 2017, 20:48

D.A. Ridgely wrote:However, if the ticket booth line is outside the theater, picking seats through the glare of the ticket booth glass is a pain in the ass. Frankly, for most movies I'd rather just have people sit wherever there is room when they get there.

As for 3D, now that the theater investment has been made, they'll be around for a while but my guess is that mostly only animated films will be in 3D.
LOL. Hey everybody! Grandpa here buys his tickets AT the theater. Har har har.

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 25 Jan 2017, 20:55

Warren wrote:
D.A. Ridgely wrote:However, if the ticket booth line is outside the theater, picking seats through the glare of the ticket booth glass is a pain in the ass. Frankly, for most movies I'd rather just have people sit wherever there is room when they get there.

LOL. Hey everybody! Grandpa here buys his tickets AT the theater. Har har har.
Blow me, Warren. The theater is only a few blocks, we usually go at off hours and the "convenience fee" is more convenient when you don't have to pay it.

Sure, I use Fandango sometimes, especially when the kids want to see some blockbuster on its opening weekend. But if the movie has been running four or five days and I'm going by myself to some matinee, which I frequently do, it's easier just to hop in the car and buy a ticket like in olden times. (Also, the Regal Theater in question, while otherwise quite nice, has one - count 'em, one -- automatic ticket kiosk inside the front entrance.

Oh, and to add to your misplaced amusement, when I do buy tickets in advance, I print the damned things out. Why? Don't I know how to load tickets on my smartphone? Sure I do. I also know from experience that it's much easier to hand the usher the ticket on a piece of paper when you've got a bag of popcorn and a drink in your hands than trying to fiddle with the phone.

Warren

Post by Warren » 25 Jan 2017, 21:04

Oh hey. I apologize. I was just pulling your leg. I buy my tickets at the theater too. Mostly because the theater is an hour's drive away and a lot can happen between here and there.
No offense intended.

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 25 Jan 2017, 22:40

Warren wrote:Oh hey. I apologize. I was just pulling your leg. I buy my tickets at the theater too. Mostly because the theater is an hour's drive away and a lot can happen between here and there.
No offense intended.
No problem.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 05 Apr 2017, 16:56

Maybe I am just a cheapskate, but psyllium husk supplements seem to be awfully pricey for something you are just going to poop right back out.

Mo

Post by Mo » 05 Apr 2017, 16:59

Ellie wrote:Maybe I am just a cheapskate, but psyllium husk supplements seem to be awfully pricey for something you are just going to poop right back out.
Not if you're not pooping.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Mo

Post by Mo » 10 Apr 2017, 10:39

I don't know about you, but I would need armed goons to drag me kicking and screaming on to a United flight.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 10 Apr 2017, 11:14

Mo wrote:I don't know about you, but I would need armed goons to drag me kicking and screaming on to a United flight.
This.
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

nicole

Post by nicole » 10 Apr 2017, 12:00

"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 19 Apr 2017, 12:39

Juicero packs, you know, the $5 packs that produce 8 oz of juice when you squeeze them in a $400 machine that has to have a constant Wi-Fi connection? "How do you measure chi?" and all of that?

Can totally be squeezed by hand.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem