Market Failure!

Dangerman

Re: Market Failure!

Post by Dangerman » 28 Aug 2017, 18:44

Having activity in the cabin probably breaks the stillness and makes people more comfortable.
"It's a proven fact that spicy mustard is good for your health no matter what your medical condition, which is why the feds are suing Guildens for a backdoor into their condiment technology." - TIO

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 28 Aug 2017, 21:56

Everyone should be strapped, in standing up, packed like sardines, and nude, for safety. There will be no windows or lights.
Saudi Arabia is doing something potentially harmful to America? Oh, hell. Does that mean we're going to invade Iraq again? - Jennifer

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 29 Aug 2017, 04:08

Fin Fang Foom wrote:
28 Aug 2017, 21:56
Everyone should be strapped, in standing up, packed like sardines, and nude, for safety. There will be no windows or lights.
Wish granted...
http://blogs.reuters.com/photographers- ... room-only/
"I want to live in a world where the Democrats are competent enough to secretly have millions of illegal aliens vote, but dumb enough to concentrate them in California and New York."=--Mo

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 29 Aug 2017, 09:45

Kwix wrote:
29 Aug 2017, 04:08
Fin Fang Foom wrote:
Wish granted...
No straps, no nudity.
Saudi Arabia is doing something potentially harmful to America? Oh, hell. Does that mean we're going to invade Iraq again? - Jennifer

Taktix®

Post by Taktix® » 29 Aug 2017, 10:11

Fin Fang Foom wrote:
29 Aug 2017, 09:45
Kwix wrote:
Fin Fang Foom wrote:
Wish granted...
No straps, no nudity.
Not good enough. To maximize efficiency, people should be strapped in by wrist and ankle, standing, with arms raised, into narrow movable frames, and then slid in and out like so many DVD cases on a bookshelf...
"Guilty as charged. Go ahead and ban me from the mall." - Ellie

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 29 Aug 2017, 10:50

Taktix® wrote:
29 Aug 2017, 10:11
Fin Fang Foom wrote:
Kwix wrote:
Fin Fang Foom wrote:
Wish granted...
No straps, no nudity.
Not good enough. To maximize efficiency, people should be strapped in by wrist and ankle, standing, with arms raised, into narrow movable frames, and then slid in and out like so many DVD cases on a bookshelf...
Exactly.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 29 Aug 2017, 14:45

Taktix® wrote:
29 Aug 2017, 10:11
Fin Fang Foom wrote:
Kwix wrote:
Fin Fang Foom wrote:
Wish granted...
No straps, no nudity.
Well, I think for handicapped accessibility issues, you don't want to go standing. I think what you really want is for them to be strapped down prone, in drawers, sort of like this configuration:

"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"Repeated headdesk is dangerous yo." - JasonL

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 29 Aug 2017, 14:46

No, the straps will support them. No need to lay down.

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 29 Aug 2017, 17:53

"Them", he says.
"It's a proven fact that spicy mustard is good for your health no matter what your medical condition, which is why the feds are suing Guildens for a backdoor into their condiment technology." - TIO

Warren

Post by Warren » 02 Sep 2017, 12:26

Maybe try vacuum packing?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 13 Sep 2017, 16:10

This isn't "market failure" so much as "spectacularly shitty design": During our very brief Irma-induced power outage a couple days ago, our smoke detector (hardwired into the electrical system) started making a loud, obnoxious chirping sound, of the sort smoke detectors usually make when their batteries are low. So Jeff decided to change the backup battery -- except he couldn't find it, and looking up that model of detector online was no help. Yesterday I went to the rental office to see if I could borrow the manual for the detectors, but instead the lady put it in as a maintenance request.

The maintenance guy just came and went and -- long story short, it turns out our smoke detectors do NOT have changeable batteries, only permanent rechargeable ones. And, apparently, the detectors are designed to let out a loud obnoxious chirp every few seconds in case of a power outage, to helpfully let you know "Guess what, you have no electricity." The guy did show us how to disconnect the entire detector next time there's an outage -- and if we have one I hope Jeff is home for it, because the ceilings here are so high I can't reach them even with my stepstool.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

pistoffnick

Post by pistoffnick » 14 Sep 2017, 09:56

As part of our kitchen remodel we had to install hardwired smoke detectors on every floor. They are the worst pieces of shit I have ever seen. It is impossible to silence them except to unplug them from the socket, the batteries (we have replaceable 9V) are difficult to change, and they are difficult to reinstall.

Thank you Mr. Know-it-all Central Planner, you have made my house less safe and my life more miserable. I'd like to have a word with the electrical engineer that put that in the code.
Always be suspicious of people who have, or crave, power. - Stanley Kubrick
"Every decent man is ashamed of the government he lives under." - H.L. Mencken
"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants." - Albert Camus

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 14 Sep 2017, 10:36

I hate the ones in my house too. Ugh finding the right one that starts beeping at 2:30am because battery is low, or maybe just need to push a button on the thing for no reason. I've never figured that out.

Highway

Post by Highway » 14 Sep 2017, 11:20

JasonL wrote:
14 Sep 2017, 10:36
I hate the ones in my house too. Ugh finding the right one that starts beeping at 2:30am because battery is low, or maybe just need to push a button on the thing for no reason. I've never figured that out.
For me, there's not "finding the right one". When one starts beeping, that's when all the batteries get replaced. It's actually getting close to time to replace them all for me. They should all be replaced at about 10 years old.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 14 Sep 2017, 12:04

Try every 18 months before they start ad hoc screaming. They suck.

Highway

Post by Highway » 14 Sep 2017, 13:08

JasonL wrote:
14 Sep 2017, 12:04
Try every 18 months before they start ad hoc screaming. They suck.
If that's all the battery life you get, you need to try something different. I have these BRK / First Alert ones, and replace batteries maybe once every 5 years.

https://www.amazon.com/First-Alert-9120 ... moke+alarm
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 14 Sep 2017, 16:37

Last time I went to replace a smoke alarm I was faced with a wall of products that all have internal unchangeable 10 year batteries, it's the law in CA now since 2015 or so.

I honestly don't understand requiring hardwired detectors. Seems like a needless layer of complication.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Highway

Post by Highway » 14 Sep 2017, 16:40

dead_elvis wrote:
14 Sep 2017, 16:37
Last time I went to replace a smoke alarm I was faced with a wall of products that all have internal unchangeable 10 year batteries, it's the law in CA now since 2015 or so.

I honestly don't understand requiring hardwired detectors. Seems like a needless layer of complication.
Latching is a significant benefit, especially if you follow firefighters' recommendations and sleep with your bedroom door closed. If a fire starts in your basement, having the alarm in your bedroom go off simultaneously with the one in the basement gives you a significant advantage in both living and perhaps reducing property damage, even putting out the fire before it's unmanageable by a layman.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 15 Sep 2017, 22:40

Highway wrote:
08 Aug 2017, 18:42
Yeah, pop tarts for me now are a never again thing. Man are they calorie dense. It's hard to get past that "Hey, what's on the nutrition label here... 450 calories... yeahhhhhh, no."
I ended up having to buy some as hiking food since my options in a small town were very limited. I can't think of a reason to ever eat them outside of that situation. 400 calories and the worst macros known to man.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

holy shit there will never be an end until the sweet release of death (as dictated by the death panels, natch) - lunch

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 15 Sep 2017, 23:02

I spent the day flying home for the funeral. My flight out of Cali was three (3) hours late. I missed my connection, not surprisingly. Fortunately the layover was supposed to be two hours, so I'm only an hour and a half late. Still.

American Airlines has been added to the list of airlines that I will never again use.
"The first rule of Grylliade club is 'Why are we talking about Grylliade club?'"
--Jake

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 15 Sep 2017, 23:16

And my luggage is arriving tomorrow. Great.
"The first rule of Grylliade club is 'Why are we talking about Grylliade club?'"
--Jake

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 15 Sep 2017, 23:59

Andrew wrote:
15 Sep 2017, 22:40
Highway wrote:
08 Aug 2017, 18:42
Yeah, pop tarts for me now are a never again thing. Man are they calorie dense. It's hard to get past that "Hey, what's on the nutrition label here... 450 calories... yeahhhhhh, no."
I ended up having to buy some as hiking food since my options in a small town were very limited. I can't think of a reason to ever eat them outside of that situation. 400 calories and the worst macros known to man.
I always throw a box in my hurricane supplies. That's about it.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 16 Sep 2017, 00:00

Ugh, I'm sorry you had airline idiocy on top of everything else, Thoreau.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 16 Sep 2017, 11:24

First they said that my luggage simply didn't make the connecting flight. OK.

Now they're saying they don't know where it is.

As long as we're holding a funeral, I'm thinking of asking them to super-size the casket so we can stuff a couple airline executives in there too.

They just found it. It's in town. I should get it soon.

Still, between this and the shenanigans with my June trip (flight is hours late, spends 45 minutes on the tarmac, and another 30-45 minutes at the gate because they couldn't figure out how to open the door) I think that once I use my free voucher with them I'm never flying American again.
--Jake

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 16 Sep 2017, 15:39

Four hours since I got the call. Still no luggage. I called to complain. The luggage wasn't actually picked up by a van until an hour and a half ago. Still not here.

If I had known they would take this long I would have picked it up myself. But now it is out for delivery. So who knows where it is?
--Jake