Market Failure!

Taktix®

Re: Market Failure!

Post by Taktix® » 08 Aug 2017, 14:03

JasonL wrote:
08 Aug 2017, 13:54
Brown sugar is the worst flavor and somehow was also the Poptart Default for my entire childhood. If there was only one flavor, it was that pos.
Yes, this. I'm not against Cinnamon/Brown Sugar as a flavor per se, but in Pop Tart execution it was more dry than Bob Newhart's Scottsdale summer home...
"who will quietly mumble for the introverts?" - dhex

"If it's a legitimate dictatorship the body politic has ways of shutting the whole thing down." - thoreau

Highway

Post by Highway » 08 Aug 2017, 14:37

Another vote for Brown sugar as worst pop tart flavor. Any fruit flavor, frosted or unfrosted, is better.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 08 Aug 2017, 16:03

Blueberry is always the best fruit flavor. This is objectively true.

Blueberry pie. Blueberry cobbler. Blueberry muffins. And Blueberry Poptarts. Although I prefer the uniced version. It's not that I don't like icing. It's that icing that is hardened just worries me. Like, is it really icing, or is it shellack?
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"Repeated headdesk is dangerous yo." - JasonL

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 08 Aug 2017, 17:21

Maybe it's just me, but the packaging on Rx bars totally puts me off. I don't want to see "egg whites" as the main ingredient in something I'm about to eat at room temperature. (I know that's what meringues are. It just seems gross in this context, I dunno.)

https://www.rxbar.com/media/catalog/pro ... r_-_pp.jpg
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

nicole

Post by nicole » 08 Aug 2017, 18:23

I was all about the chocolate frosted and strawberry unfrosted ones. But I kind of hated all other flavors. Especially smores. Strawberry frosted wasn't terrible I guess.

Man that was a fucking lifetime ago. Hard to imagine buying them now. Being a yuppie is bullshit sometimes.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Privilege is having large phones fit into the garments that society expects you to wear." -Dangerman

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 08 Aug 2017, 18:34

Pop Tarts are ass.
Saudi Arabia is doing something potentially harmful to America? Oh, hell. Does that mean we're going to invade Iraq again? - Jennifer

Highway

Post by Highway » 08 Aug 2017, 18:42

Yeah, pop tarts for me now are a never again thing. Man are they calorie dense. It's hard to get past that "Hey, what's on the nutrition label here... 450 calories... yeahhhhhh, no."
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 08 Aug 2017, 19:09

I don't do it either.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 08 Aug 2017, 19:11

Highway wrote:
08 Aug 2017, 18:42
Yeah, pop tarts for me now are a never again thing. Man are they calorie dense. It's hard to get past that "Hey, what's on the nutrition label here... 450 calories... yeahhhhhh, no."
Yeah, they're kinda crazy.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 08 Aug 2017, 19:17

Speaking of market failure. There's the fancy ones Starbucks was selling for like $4. https://www.megpies.com

nicole

Post by nicole » 08 Aug 2017, 20:51

I mean I am basically currently trying to lose middle school pop tart weight.

"Privilege is having large phones fit into the garments that society expects you to wear." -Dangerman

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 09 Aug 2017, 23:51

Ellie wrote:
08 Aug 2017, 13:29
And not even one of the good flavors!
I'm so sad you're wrong about this.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

nicole

Post by nicole » 18 Aug 2017, 16:29

You guys I am so fucking mad about basic economy rn

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 18 Aug 2017, 16:36

Uh. What does that mean?

nicole

Post by nicole » 18 Aug 2017, 16:49

You know, the new fare class

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 18 Aug 2017, 16:56

Oh. Right. I'm meh.

nicole

Post by nicole » 18 Aug 2017, 16:59

Just had my first accidental booking.

Not actually a huge deal in itself in terms of ease of changing. But pricing basic vs standard fares makes me want to kick everyone at United and Delta in the balls. My days of marine air terminal bliss may be over. Flying fucking American now and I'm going to be lost in the terminal.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 18 Aug 2017, 19:41

nicole wrote:
18 Aug 2017, 16:59

Not actually a huge deal in itself in terms of ease of changing. But pricing basic vs standard fares makes me want to kick everyone at United and Delta in the balls. My days of marine air terminal bliss may be over. Flying fucking American now and I'm going to be lost in the terminal.
It's a way to get people to pay a premium for seats but turn up higher in the list of flights.

I kind of welcome a price differential between coach and prole. Also lets me claw some of that legroom back, and there's free booze, at least on Delta.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"Repeated headdesk is dangerous yo." - JasonL

Mo

Post by Mo » 19 Aug 2017, 00:05

lunchstealer wrote:
18 Aug 2017, 19:41
nicole wrote:
18 Aug 2017, 16:59

It's a way to get people to pay a premium for seats but turn up higher in the list of flights.

I kind of welcome a price differential between coach and prole. Also lets me claw some of that legroom back, and there's free booze, at least on Delta.
Basic economy is an even lower level of service. I think you get no overhead bag and you don't get to choose your seat.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

nicole

Post by nicole » 19 Aug 2017, 06:06

Correct. No carry on, no seat choice, can't sit with your party, etc.

Of course this was the one trip I take actually with L dub, who uses a carry on. If it were just me basic econ would be okay. I never carry on because liquids.

Warren

Post by Warren » 26 Aug 2017, 11:11

I just wish they'd do away with in-flight service altogether. At least on flights of less than three hours. The cart blocks the aisle for all that time. It completely occupies the stewards with a tedious and awkward task. I'd be happier bringing my own snack and beverage. I bet they could eliminate a steward from every flight.
Women with strollers are legitimately the worst people, and should, like motorcyclists, not be considered people for liability and criminal purposes. - lunchstealer

Mo

Post by Mo » 26 Aug 2017, 15:27

They can't. The primary job of cabin crew is safety and adjudicating customer complaints/disputes. The service is a secondary role that they do.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

Warren

Post by Warren » 28 Aug 2017, 15:04

Mo wrote:
26 Aug 2017, 15:27
They can't. The primary job of cabin crew is safety and adjudicating customer complaints/disputes. The service is a secondary role that they do.
That's just it. On short flights it becomes most all of what they do.
Women with strollers are legitimately the worst people, and should, like motorcyclists, not be considered people for liability and criminal purposes. - lunchstealer

Mo

Post by Mo » 28 Aug 2017, 15:10

Warren wrote:
28 Aug 2017, 15:04
Mo wrote:
26 Aug 2017, 15:27
That's just it. On short flights it becomes most all of what they do.
They do the service stuff partly because customers expect it (and presumably like it) and also because, "Just sit in the jump seat reading a book until there's an emergency or a fight," is extraordinarily dull and would just lead to higher turnover.

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 28 Aug 2017, 17:56

Plus when they sell booze (and now, just about everything that's not Coke or pretzels) they become a profit center not a cost center.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex