Market Failure!

Mo

Re: Market Failure!

Post by Mo » 15 Nov 2017, 13:13

his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 15 Nov 2017, 14:09

Don't hate, man! It's the New Economy! This time it's different!
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 24 Nov 2017, 15:45

I wish there were an affordable digital alarm clock with a 24-hour rather than 12-hour setup. I overslept today because I screwed up the am and pm settings on my clock.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 27 Nov 2017, 09:59

Third Love Ad: Get a great bra that actually fits!

Me: *clicks link*

Third Love: Use our Fit Finder to find your size!

Third Love: Start by entering the size of your current favorite bra, the one that fits you best.

Me: I DON'T HAVE A BRA THAT FITS, THAT'S WHY I CAME TO YOUR STUPID SITE
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

Mo

Post by Mo » 29 Nov 2017, 14:46

This is the best computer glitch ever.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... on-it-flaw
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 29 Nov 2017, 19:51

Ellie wrote:
27 Nov 2017, 09:59

This is such a common complaint I'm convinced that a la the spanx lady there is an instant billionaire lottery ticket waiting for whoever develops an easy personalized bra-that-actually-fits over the internet. As in, somehow scan your exact upper body and they measure and manufacture on demand your perfect bra.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 01 Dec 2017, 00:17

I really don't understand the reasoning behind the "sister sizes" way of sizing bras -- that, for example, the same bra in sizes 36A, 34B, and 32C will use physically the exact same cups, and only the band around is bigger or smaller. Seems like the cups should be more like measuring cups. An A-cup should be so many ccs of boob, regardless of what band size it's attached to.

I'm sure there's a manufacturing reason for doing it this way, but it's still dumb.

When the Kickstarter for the scan-your-body-and-print-a-bra machine comes along, I will be pledging at the highest level.

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 01 Dec 2017, 00:38

The cup letter is "Circumference at biggest point minus band circumference." An extra inch of circumference is more volume the bigger your base is.

Theoretically you're supposed to be able to take two measurements and then know your size. But of course there are lots of little things about angle and shape that make that not perfect. Plus a lot of bra manufacturers (cough Victoria's Secret cough) that give deliberately wrong/weird instructions and say you should add four to the band size.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 01 Dec 2017, 01:03

But your boobs are stuck on to the front of your torso. Their volume is independent of the circumference of your torso. If you get implants or a reduction, your rib cage is still the same circumference. Likewise, the way a bra is constructed, the band goes all the way around, but the cups are on the front. You can put those same physical size cups on many different bands. There's no inherent reason that you have to measure cup size relative to band size.

You'd have to change the way measuring -> sizing, yeah, to help people figure out their size. I don't know how you'd "objectively" measure it since it's not like you can plop a boob in a beaker to measure its volume. But like you say, the "difference of two measurements" method doesn't really give reliable results either.

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 01 Dec 2017, 01:48

Nah, that's basically the reason. The volume is independent of the circumference of your torso, but it's hard to measure the volume directly. The measurement you can take easily is circumference, so that's what the sizing is based off of.

You still have to do some adjustments, but I suspect it's better than basing them off of volume, which nobody can actually measure for themselves reasonably.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 01 Dec 2017, 09:02

So, because of mom in law selling lady underthings for 40 years I hear about this quite a bit. Sister sizes are pure bullshit which originated as a retailer solution to limited shelf space. Physical stores can’t stock all the sizes so they tell you the more common ones they do carry are sister sizes of your actual size. They just made it up. You need to fit cup independent of band full stop. So I’m told.

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 01 Dec 2017, 09:05

Jason, if you're a lumberjack, that's ok.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 01 Dec 2017, 10:24

Kolohe wrote:
01 Dec 2017, 09:05
Jason, if you're a lumberjack, that's ok.
I believe he does sleep at night and work through the day.
Gentrification is undocumented immigration for the left-leaning. - Shem

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 01 Dec 2017, 12:17

dead_elvis wrote:
29 Nov 2017, 19:51
Ellie wrote:

This is such a common complaint I'm convinced that a la the spanx lady there is an instant billionaire lottery ticket waiting for whoever develops an easy personalized bra-that-actually-fits over the internet. As in, somehow scan your exact upper body and they measure and manufacture on demand your perfect bra.
<sigh> OK. I'm willing to give it a shot. Ladies, please send me pics of your boobies and I'll see what I can do. kthx.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

nicole

Post by nicole » 01 Dec 2017, 12:22

Ellie wrote:
Third Love Ad: Get a great bra that actually fits!

Third Love: Use our Fit Finder to find your size!

Third Love: Start by entering the size of your current favorite bra, the one that fits you best.

Okay now I'm angry because I went to take their quiz and I do know a size that reasonably fits me BUT MY BRAND ISN'T IN THEIR LIST OF BRANDS.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

nicole

Post by nicole » 01 Dec 2017, 12:34

Okay, I decided to try it. FWIW they did just end up recommending me the same sister size to what I am currently wearing that I would have chosen myself (because I know I need to go down in band size). So the claims about better fit, in my case at least, are all coming down to the stretchiness of the cups and alleged no-slip capabilities of the straps. I will report back later in the Ladyfashun thread!
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 01 Dec 2017, 14:00

Seems like boob volume is something that could be solved with a bucket of water of a known volume with validated gradations.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

Warren

Post by Warren » 01 Dec 2017, 14:09

Sandy wrote:
01 Dec 2017, 14:00
Seems like boob volume is something that could be solved with a bucket of water of a known volume with validated gradations.
Yeah no. Boobs are neither detachable nor level.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 01 Dec 2017, 14:22

Warren wrote:
01 Dec 2017, 14:09
Sandy wrote:
Stereo photogrammetry ftw. This is something I actually do in my field, but I do it* with buildings rather than boobs, but the principles are the same.

Could be done with LIDAR but then I don't get to measure photos of boobs.

*well, I don't actually do it but I know the software I'd need and could get trained up pretty quickly.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Sandy

Post by Sandy » 01 Dec 2017, 14:53

Warren wrote:
01 Dec 2017, 14:09
Sandy wrote:
They conveniently stick out from a surface you can align with the top of the bucket. Requires taking your shirt off and a functioning drain, but it should be pretty simple.

What it won't account for is shape. If you're globular you'll have the same measurement as bananaboobs, but very different outcomes. OTOH, you'll know the volume.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

Warren

Post by Warren » 01 Dec 2017, 15:20

Sandy wrote:
01 Dec 2017, 14:53
They conveniently stick out from a surface you can align with the top of the bucket
Um no. They usually do not. You don't have much experience with boobs do you?

Mo

Post by Mo » 01 Dec 2017, 16:04

Warren wrote:
01 Dec 2017, 15:20
Sandy wrote:
They conveniently stick out from a surface you can align with the top of the bucket
That or buckets.

Sandy

Post by Sandy » 01 Dec 2017, 17:44

Warren wrote:
Sandy wrote:
It's true, my wife's have been Barbie boobs for the last six years.

Sandy

Post by Sandy » 01 Dec 2017, 17:49

Mo wrote:
01 Dec 2017, 16:04
Warren wrote:
Sandy wrote:
That or buckets.
Do you guys only do missionary ever or...

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 11 Dec 2017, 17:29

Holy shit but Facebook's video interface is fucked up.

Just about every streaming video format will pause if you tap in the middle of the video. They usually have a function in a corner of the frame that will expand the video to a larger size or full screen.

Facebook reverses those. What the actual fuck, facebook? All I want to do is to be able to pause a video when it's important that I be able to hear. I want to be able to do it the same way across multiple platforms. Youtube got there first, and frankly theirs is the way to do it. If I need to pause the video to shut it up, I often need to do it quickly. To expand to fullscreen, I've almost always got some time to do that.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR