Market Failure!

Ellie

Re: Market Failure!

Post by Ellie » 30 Jun 2019, 21:12

I ultimately agree that people should read things before they sign them and that 20 is old enough to know to do that. But I am very sympathetic to the idea that a college intern would not keep an eye out for a non-compete contract because that's fucking bananas.
"He's just an idiot elected by idiots." - Pham

Highway

Post by Highway » 30 Jun 2019, 22:42

dead_elvis wrote:
30 Jun 2019, 20:24
Ok, I guess I have no idea what's going on with the kids nowadays. My lens is that I was so eager to get work experience and discovered much to my chagrin that after graduation people really didn't care about that nearly as much as high level skill, and that the work experience I was so eager to get is something that most people are burned out in 5-10 years and why was I so eager to jump start that fuse.
I don't think you're far off on that motivation, tho. These are students that are eager to get work experience, and do it as early as possible, because they think it will help them later (and depending on the field, it can help significantly). So they set up an internship, through the school even, maybe through an advisor that they look up to (and who it would get back to if they fucked it up), that gets them there faster and helps toward graduation. A lot of college students really want to get out of school. And they jump at the chance, and are presented with this poison pill right as they start. Even if they read it and are uncomfortable with it, there's an awful lot of pressure on that moment, all on the student.

BTW, how is it not unconscionable to stick a non-compete on a college intern that's there for a semester for a class? I mean, thinking about that more, that's just being dicks.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 30 Jun 2019, 23:02

BTW, most internships are not arranged via colleges these days. Most of my students who have done internships did it without any official university involvement. Maybe I put in a good word for someone, maybe they came to campus to interview, but the company hires them and the student gets money, not credit.

We generally only give them credit if they want credit for a project done at an internship site, something roughly akin to a senior project. But in order to get that credit they'd have to be enrolled at my institution while working at the company. If they do the internship during summer and aren't taking any other summer classes, nobody is going to pay a few units' worth of tuition for internship credit. Unless it's a requirement, which is the case at some places but not at most.

So while university-involved internships happen, they're far less common than internships arranged entirely by and with the company, without any official college or university involvement.
"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

Mo

Post by Mo » 01 Jul 2019, 14:35

Only a handful of schools have leverage over companies. The Harvards and MITs of the world can come up with policies for firms that recruit on campus like “no exploding offers” (a real policy). The UNC Ashevilles of the world cannot.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 02 Jul 2019, 00:36

I just saw a Facebook ad for what appears to be a totally legitimate project -- a sort of saddle with handle, that you wrap around yourself like a back brace so a kid can ride on your back and play "horsey." Let me reiterate, this is a grab bar you strap on so someone can get on top of you while you're down on all fours, and the name of the product is Pony Up Daddy. I DO NOT THINK THIS IS APPROPRIATE FOR CHILDREN
"He's just an idiot elected by idiots." - Pham

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 02 Jul 2019, 01:17

Ellie wrote:
02 Jul 2019, 00:36
I just saw a Facebook ad for what appears to be a totally legitimate project -- a sort of saddle with handle, that you wrap around yourself like a back brace so a kid can ride on your back and play "horsey." Let me reiterate, this is a grab bar you strap on so someone can get on top of you while you're down on all fours, and the name of the product is Pony Up Daddy. I DO NOT THINK THIS IS APPROPRIATE FOR CHILDREN
What could be more appropriate for children? It sounds magical.
UnicornGuy.jpg
UnicornGuy.jpg (93.31 KiB) Viewed 99 times
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR