Market Failure!

Ellie

Re: Market Failure!

Post by Ellie » 30 Jun 2019, 21:12

I ultimately agree that people should read things before they sign them and that 20 is old enough to know to do that. But I am very sympathetic to the idea that a college intern would not keep an eye out for a non-compete contract because that's fucking bananas.
"2019 has got to stop injecting dmt straight in the dick hole." - dhex

Highway

Post by Highway » 30 Jun 2019, 22:42

dead_elvis wrote:
30 Jun 2019, 20:24
Ok, I guess I have no idea what's going on with the kids nowadays. My lens is that I was so eager to get work experience and discovered much to my chagrin that after graduation people really didn't care about that nearly as much as high level skill, and that the work experience I was so eager to get is something that most people are burned out in 5-10 years and why was I so eager to jump start that fuse.
I don't think you're far off on that motivation, tho. These are students that are eager to get work experience, and do it as early as possible, because they think it will help them later (and depending on the field, it can help significantly). So they set up an internship, through the school even, maybe through an advisor that they look up to (and who it would get back to if they fucked it up), that gets them there faster and helps toward graduation. A lot of college students really want to get out of school. And they jump at the chance, and are presented with this poison pill right as they start. Even if they read it and are uncomfortable with it, there's an awful lot of pressure on that moment, all on the student.

BTW, how is it not unconscionable to stick a non-compete on a college intern that's there for a semester for a class? I mean, thinking about that more, that's just being dicks.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 30 Jun 2019, 23:02

BTW, most internships are not arranged via colleges these days. Most of my students who have done internships did it without any official university involvement. Maybe I put in a good word for someone, maybe they came to campus to interview, but the company hires them and the student gets money, not credit.

We generally only give them credit if they want credit for a project done at an internship site, something roughly akin to a senior project. But in order to get that credit they'd have to be enrolled at my institution while working at the company. If they do the internship during summer and aren't taking any other summer classes, nobody is going to pay a few units' worth of tuition for internship credit. Unless it's a requirement, which is the case at some places but not at most.

So while university-involved internships happen, they're far less common than internships arranged entirely by and with the company, without any official college or university involvement.
"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

Mo

Post by Mo » 01 Jul 2019, 14:35

Only a handful of schools have leverage over companies. The Harvards and MITs of the world can come up with policies for firms that recruit on campus like “no exploding offers” (a real policy). The UNC Ashevilles of the world cannot.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 02 Jul 2019, 00:36

I just saw a Facebook ad for what appears to be a totally legitimate project -- a sort of saddle with handle, that you wrap around yourself like a back brace so a kid can ride on your back and play "horsey." Let me reiterate, this is a grab bar you strap on so someone can get on top of you while you're down on all fours, and the name of the product is Pony Up Daddy. I DO NOT THINK THIS IS APPROPRIATE FOR CHILDREN

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 02 Jul 2019, 01:17

Ellie wrote:
02 Jul 2019, 00:36
I just saw a Facebook ad for what appears to be a totally legitimate project -- a sort of saddle with handle, that you wrap around yourself like a back brace so a kid can ride on your back and play "horsey." Let me reiterate, this is a grab bar you strap on so someone can get on top of you while you're down on all fours, and the name of the product is Pony Up Daddy. I DO NOT THINK THIS IS APPROPRIATE FOR CHILDREN
What could be more appropriate for children? It sounds magical.
UnicornGuy.jpg
UnicornGuy.jpg (93.31 KiB) Viewed 694 times
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 18 Aug 2019, 00:49

How are real estate/rental photos so bad? Do landlords not look at pictures before they post them online? And what fucking justification is there for ads without photos when everyone is carrying a camera with them at all times?
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

JD

Post by JD » 19 Aug 2019, 11:03

Ellie wrote:
02 Jul 2019, 00:36
On a somewhat related note I thought Ellie might appreciate, there's a somewhat legendary guitar effects pedal called the Klon Centaur. It came in a large golden enclosure with an image of a centaur on the front. Seeing as how it costs over $2500 on the used market these days, there' s a healthy market in clones. Most of them have some name and/or appearance that winks at the original, just to make it clear what they're copying, like the "Golden Horsey-Man" or something.

And yes, there is one pedal called - rather knowingly, IMO - the Ponyboy.

I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 19 Aug 2019, 17:52

Ahahahahaha <3

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 28 Aug 2019, 23:42

So, I decided to try buying some shoes on Amazon. My previous Amazon purchases have all been books or movies where size is not an issue, but the price seemed better than anything I could get locally.

I placed the order on August 12, at which time their system told me it would be shipped on August 15th and I could expect it by August 19 to 26th (I chose the slower, 'free delivery' option.)

On August 19th, I got an email saying it would be shipped that day and I could expect delivery by August 26th.

On August 26th, I got another email saying it would be shipped on the 26th or 27th.

Today, I finally went onto their website to track the order. It still had not been shipped.

I contacted their customer service department and was told that there had been a 'glitch' in the system (they verified the item was in stock). Their suggestion was that I cancel the order and re-order. I told them it was their problem, not mine and that they should fix it, not ask me to fix it. I have been promised a call tomorrow to confirm that the shoes have been shipped.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Mo

Post by Mo » 02 Sep 2019, 17:09

So daddy, how did people think Bernie Sanders was a good idea for President.

Well son, first we had president Trump and then companies thought bringing back debt bondage was a good idea...

https://www.wsj.com/articles/some-compa ... 1567416601
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 02 Sep 2019, 18:55

Mo wrote:
02 Sep 2019, 17:09
So daddy, how did people think Bernie Sanders was a good idea for President.

Well son, first we had president Trump and then companies thought bringing back debt bondage was a good idea...

https://www.wsj.com/articles/some-compa ... 1567416601
You upload sixteen gig and whadda ya get...
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 02 Sep 2019, 19:33

Both of my most recent employers offered small loans (among other financial services) through credit unions represented on campus. Not sure how this is different.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 04 Sep 2019, 23:22

Aresen wrote:
28 Aug 2019, 23:42
So, I decided to try buying some shoes on Amazon. My previous Amazon purchases have all been books or movies where size is not an issue, but the price seemed better than anything I could get locally.

I placed the order on August 12, at which time their system told me it would be shipped on August 15th and I could expect it by August 19 to 26th (I chose the slower, 'free delivery' option.)

On August 19th, I got an email saying it would be shipped that day and I could expect delivery by August 26th.

On August 26th, I got another email saying it would be shipped on the 26th or 27th.

Today, I finally went onto their website to track the order. It still had not been shipped.

I contacted their customer service department and was told that there had been a 'glitch' in the system (they verified the item was in stock). Their suggestion was that I cancel the order and re-order. I told them it was their problem, not mine and that they should fix it, not ask me to fix it. I have been promised a call tomorrow to confirm that the shoes have been shipped.
After 23 days, the shoes finally arrived. And they fit.

Amazon has not covered itself with glory here.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 07 Sep 2019, 15:06

Jennifer wrote:
16 Jul 2018, 15:13
Maybe not full-fledged "market failure," but definitely some "market shenanigans" IMO: regarding clothes, a tag announcing that a garment is "100% silk" or "pure Irish linen" or whatever is not necessarily honest; the cloth used to make the main garment might well be woven from pure linen or silk, but the threads used to sew that cloth into clothes are often artificial.

Source: I finally got around to dyeing some of the "good clothes in bad colors" I've been buying ever since I moved to Atlanta and realized my New England-grade summer gear does not cut it for summertime down here. Rit-brand fabric dye basically comes in two varieties: one for natural fibers, one for artificial. Since my summer clothes are all silk or linen, I've been using the natural-fiber dye. Some of those shirts took the dye 100 percent -- as in, a formerly yellow-green shirt is now entirely a shade of faded-denim chambray blue -- but other shirts now have the "contrasting threads" look which, I guess, was popular for about three weeks in the 1970s, if certain old episodes of the Carol Burnett Show and other sketch-comedies from the era are to be believed: such as, a certain linen shirt that was originally a bold pink color (attractive on some complexions, no doubt, but mine is not one of them) is now a shade of lavender which does look okay on me ... but the threads used for stitching that garment remain their original pink.
Update should anyone be interested: Rit-brand fabric dyes do NOT last long. I'm currently wearing an old linen shirt -- the same shirt mentioned in this comment -- it's pink again. If you inspect the garment very, very closely, you can see here and there a few spots where some of the blue dye remains, but the whole "seam threads are in a color contrasting the rest of the garment" thing is GONE. (Before you're tempted to point out "Hey, that was over a year ago now, which arguably isn't a bad run for cheap dye" -- over the course of that year I doubt I wore and washed this particular shirt more than three times.)

Luckily, by now I've been able to acquire enough decent-for-me clothes that it doesn't matter so much. But it's still fairly disappointing.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b