Market Failure!

Warren

Re: Market Failure!

Post by Warren » 08 Jul 2018, 16:52

Mo wrote:
08 Jul 2018, 16:32
Jadagul wrote:
08 Jul 2018, 16:09
And I dunno. I'm not a finance guy, but that seems kind of obviously legal to me---if Wall Street bankers aren't going around exploiting the ridiculous fine print in obscure contracts, what's even the point?
This is basically the finance equivalent of taking out a huge fire insurance contract and then setting the smallest qualifying fire in your own property to collect the amount that's larger than the damage.
:idea:
Bitch about Brexit to your hearts content, but stay out of my historical movies. - Nick Hodges

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 10 Jul 2018, 12:16

If you issue a policy that pays on intentional defaults, that seems like your problem. If I'm understanding correctly, nobody had to lie to make this happen?

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 16 Jul 2018, 15:13

Maybe not full-fledged "market failure," but definitely some "market shenanigans" IMO: regarding clothes, a tag announcing that a garment is "100% silk" or "pure Irish linen" or whatever is not necessarily honest; the cloth used to make the main garment might well be woven from pure linen or silk, but the threads used to sew that cloth into clothes are often artificial.

Source: I finally got around to dyeing some of the "good clothes in bad colors" I've been buying ever since I moved to Atlanta and realized my New England-grade summer gear does not cut it for summertime down here. Rit-brand fabric dye basically comes in two varieties: one for natural fibers, one for artificial. Since my summer clothes are all silk or linen, I've been using the natural-fiber dye. Some of those shirts took the dye 100 percent -- as in, a formerly yellow-green shirt is now entirely a shade of faded-denim chambray blue -- but other shirts now have the "contrasting threads" look which, I guess, was popular for about three weeks in the 1970s, if certain old episodes of the Carol Burnett Show and other sketch-comedies from the era are to be believed: such as, a certain linen shirt that was originally a bold pink color (attractive on some complexions, no doubt, but mine is not one of them) is now a shade of lavender which does look okay on me ... but the threads used for stitching that garment remain their original pink.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 16 Jul 2018, 20:33

Jennifer wrote:
16 Jul 2018, 15:13
Maybe not full-fledged "market failure," but definitely some "market shenanigans" IMO: regarding clothes, a tag announcing that a garment is "100% silk" or "pure Irish linen" or whatever is not necessarily honest; the cloth used to make the main garment might well be woven from pure linen or silk, but the threads used to sew that cloth into clothes are often artificial.
A-yup. Most thread is either polyester or cotton poly blend. It's stronger, smoother on the machine and fuzzes a lot less when worn/washed. There is 100% linen, silk and cotton thread but it's almost exclusively used for quilting same said fabric where shrinkage rates matter. I know nothing of high end clothing items but I can see the case where a hand tailored linen or silk suit would also use a like thread.
"pedialyte is like planned parenthood for hangovers. it costs you a bit, but it makes your little problem go away until the next time you drink too much."-- dhex
"Sweet tea is the archvillain in Wilford Brimley's origin story." -- Ellie

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 16 Jul 2018, 21:59

Kwix wrote:
16 Jul 2018, 20:33
I know nothing of high end clothing items but I can see the case where a hand tailored linen or silk suit would also use a like thread.
I know very little about high-end clothes either, even though I'm pretty sure I have at least a few high-end labels in my closet, because my outer clothes all come from thrift stores anyway. That said, I"m equally certain that all of my clothes were originally off-the rack. But I checked the labels on the dyed garments with contrasting threads: the linen labels are from J. Jill; Talbot's; Coldwater Creek; Style & Co.; Banana Republic; and Nordstrom; and the silk from Louise Paris. I'm pretty sure Louise Paris isn't high end because I had a couple of those shirts as an undergrad, and they were among the last outer-clothing items I'd ever bought in a regular retail store, because when I walked past that store in the mall I saw the sign advertising silk shirts on sale for only $9.99 apiece. I know Nordstrom is expensive, and I suspect J. Jill and Banana Republic also are pricier than I'd be willing to spend new; I have no idea about the other companies, though.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 17 Jul 2018, 00:04

Jennifer wrote:
16 Jul 2018, 15:13
Rit-brand fabric dye basically comes in two varieties: one for natural fibers, one for artificial. Since my summer clothes are all silk or linen, I've been using the natural-fiber dye.
I have discovered there is also a third (and more expensive) option: a dye which claims to work on natural and artificial fibers. So I bought some of that, and hopefully the next batch of dyed clothes won't have the contrasting-threads look anymore.

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 20 Jul 2018, 20:29

Amazon's new notifications telling me that a package is however many stops away are annoying as hell.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 20 Jul 2018, 21:32

Status tracking of all multi step processes is the hawtness.

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 07 Aug 2018, 19:28

google wrote:Your gmail account will be automatically updated in two weeks with these brand new features...blah, blah, blah....

You can go back to your old gmail account if you prefer.
I wrote:How do I tell the update to 'drop dead' so I don't have to uninstall it.
(I have already tried the new gmail on one of my accounts and it is shit. (e.g. Gmail decided which of my boxes were really needed and hid the rest. I had to go on a tour of the system to find out where the hidden ones were and unhide them.)
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer