Worthwhile YouTubez Finds

Warren

Re: Worthwhile YouTubez Finds

Post by Warren » 07 Dec 2016, 15:10

Hugh Akston wrote:The case for switching from the Gregorian calendar to the Holocene calendar

Bah. Adding an additional digit to the year is annoying and useless. I might find some merit in absolute time, i.e. starting with the big bang (and using only as many digits as required by context), but this is just another arbitrary origin that buys you exactly zip. If anything I wish we'd go back to lopping off the first two digits.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 08 Dec 2016, 05:58

I actually have liked the Holocene calendar for quite awhile, but their mention of Göbekli Tepe (the temple mentioned around year zero) points up a big problem with the scheme. That being that it was devised before the discovery of Göbekli Tepe, with the idea being that all known history was later than 12k years ago. Göbekli Tepe is of course not certainly the first human stone building, but merely the oldest known human structure. It's very possible that we'll find something older, and, as dating gets more accurate, Göbekli Tepe itself might slide back a bit in time. And then, we're back to talking about negative years.

And, well, twelve thousand years ago isn't all that special when it comes to human development. The oldest known permanent settlement was 25k years back at Dolní Věstonice, earliest found abstract decoration, around 70k years old, etc. And the farther we go back looking for a suitable point for a year zero, the less accurately we know when something happened.. We might as well make it the year 302,016 so as not to miss the huge span of time Mitochondrial Eve lived somewhere within.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 12 Dec 2016, 19:33

Slip inside a sleeping bag.

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 21 Dec 2016, 22:31

Soviet Georgia evidently had Soviet Giorgio Moroder:

Saudi Arabia is doing something potentially harmful to America? Oh, hell. Does that mean we're going to invade Iraq again? - Jennifer

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 21 Dec 2016, 22:38

Also: here are some other Soviet "commercial" weirdnesses (the first is Estonian):

Saudi Arabia is doing something potentially harmful to America? Oh, hell. Does that mean we're going to invade Iraq again? - Jennifer

Warren

Post by Warren » 13 Jan 2017, 02:21

The Irish People Taste Test series has it's moments.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 24 Feb 2017, 12:24

A really cool little breakdown of all the technical details that went into Who Framed Roger Rabbit?

"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

Warren

Post by Warren » 24 Feb 2017, 13:07

Way cool Hugh
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 24 Feb 2017, 15:02

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 01 Mar 2017, 12:30

I rarely watch things I disagree with for fun, especially anything nutrition related, but this is so breathtakingly stupid that it looped back around to entertainment.

I don't recommend anyone watch the whole thing because it is long, and also fuck that guy and his view count, but here is the overview: Dr. John McDougall, who promotes a low-fat vegan diet, gives a lecture on his amazing new diet plan, the Starch Solution. Basically, eat a lot of starchy vegetables and grains. The end.

There is no possible way he is just trying to make money by cashing in on the one macronutrient left to focus on, after the Atkins and keto people stole fat, the Paleo and bodybuilder people stole protein, and the raw loonies stole fruit. Not at all! STARCH IS THE ANSWER TO EVERYTHING.

His arguments are a marching line of strawmen. Some people say that we evolved to eat only meat. But here is evidence (amylose, archaelogical finds, blah blah) that show we have been eating starches for thousands of years! And somehow that implies that we should never eat meat. Somehow. Magically.

He throws in a couple anecdotes that are supposed to count as proof that it works for everyone. He honestly says it works for everyone. He shows a woman who experienced total relief from rheumatoid arthritis after following his plan. He LITERALLY SAYS "Everyone should expect results like these!"

His evidence that ancestral starchy diets are healthier than the Standard American Diet is that if you go to Costco, all the young English-speaking Latinos are fat and all the old Spanish-speaking Latinos are thin. (I am not making this up)

He's speaking off the cuff at one point but he says your body can recognize a banana because it has vitamins "A, B, C, D." What kind of freakish banana has vitamin D? The average person might not know that, but it's a pretty big vegan deal that no vegan foods naturally have vitamin D in them. It's like a math professor saying "Prime numbers 2, 3, 5, 12."

But my FAVORITE part OF ALL is at 58:30, when he says that getting people to eat a starchy vegan diet is a matter of NATIONAL SECURITY:
"I'm scared. We have a problem of national security in this country. When half the people in this country are not eligible for military service because of their physical condition, and half the people in military service are overweight" (no way any of those could be useless BMIs of muscular people, nope) "we've got a problem of national security. People say, 'What do you mean?' What I mean is, we ALMOST LOST WORLD WAR TWO TO PEOPLE WHO LIVED ON STARCH-BASED DIETS. AND WE DID LOSE VIETNAM TO PEOPLE WHO LIVED ON STARCH-BASED DIETS."

Anyway, that was how I entertained myself yesterday afternoon. What a maroon.
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 08 Mar 2017, 18:05

A short piece about efforts and processes of restoring films, including unauthorized restorations like the Despecialized Edition of Star Wars

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 14 Mar 2017, 00:01

Gary Numan influenced synths by Suzanne Ciani.

Highway

Post by Highway » 14 Mar 2017, 00:03

WTF, what "content from NFL" is in that video? Those copyright troll assholes.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 14 Mar 2017, 00:06

Highway wrote:WTF, what "content from NFL" is in that video? Those copyright troll assholes.
What happened?

Highway

Post by Highway » 14 Mar 2017, 00:20

Clicking the embed gets me "This video contains content from NFL, who has blocked it from display on this website or application. Watch on YouTube" (with link). So it plays fine on their site, but not the embed.

Edit: Changed subject for correctness.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 14 Mar 2017, 00:22

Jesus, what assholes.

I watched it again and couldn't see anything NFL related. Maybe they bought the rights for the music at some stage?

fyodor

Post by fyodor » 15 Mar 2017, 00:46

New interview with... CAMILLE PAGLIA
Your optimism just confuses and enrages me. - Timothy

Warren

Post by Warren » 15 Mar 2017, 17:07

Paglia speaks truth, but power thinks it's safe to ignore her. I see no evidence to the contrary.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 30 Mar 2017, 12:21

A really concise little video about the processes, promise, and potential problems with GMOs

JD

Post by JD » 30 Mar 2017, 12:31

Actually, making bananas produce vitamin D would be a pretty good use of genetic modification.

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 30 Mar 2017, 15:38

Nice little explainer. Thanks Hugh!
"Yeah, it seems a bit like pinning Timothy McVeigh on the KKK. Sure their OK Cupid profiles match 100%, but they never went on the date." - Shem

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 30 Mar 2017, 16:47

Jasper wrote:Nice little explainer. Thanks Hugh!
Yeah I thought it would be a nice video to share with GMO-haters because they can't help but be rationally convinced by its clearly explained concepts and cited factual sources.

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 01 Apr 2017, 21:06

Hugh Akston wrote:
Jasper wrote:Nice little explainer. Thanks Hugh!
Yeah I thought it would be a nice video to share with GMO-haters because they can't help but be rationally convinced by its clearly explained concepts and cited factual sources.
Exactly. Just like convincing Creationists with a clear explanation of geological processes.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 01 Apr 2017, 21:08

Looking at the sun with an H-alpha filter

(It's Thunderf00t, but one of his sciency ones.)
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 27 Apr 2017, 14:35

Some background on the history of Wonder Woman. I knew about the bondage stuff but I always assumed it was a sexist chauvinism thing*, but I didn't know about the polygraph (or the polyamory).

*I mean arguably it is, but...