Speaking in tongues (the "learning languages" thread)

D.A. Ridgely

Re: Speaking in tongues (the "learning languages" thread)

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 24 Jul 2014, 22:54

There are Latin American Indians beating drums outside. They look dangerous. Please advise.

Sent thru a Series of Tubes

Aresen

Re: Speaking in tongues (the

Post by Aresen » 24 Jul 2014, 23:18

D.A. Ridgely wrote:There are Latin American Indians beating drums outside. They look dangerous. Please advise.

Tell them you're Canadian.

Oh, wait, didn't Encana just have a major oil spill down there?

Tell them your Dutch. (Unless they're speaking Russian.)
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 25 Jul 2014, 09:18

D.A. Ridgely wrote:Under The Skin clearly tried to have a deeper meaning than it conveyed to me. I thought it was not only way too slow-moving but ultimately pretty vapid.

The only really good scene in Snowpiercer is when the proles find out how their protein bars were being made.

This comment obviously belongs in a different thread, but I really don't know how to use Tapatalk entirely.

I got ya covered. :)
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 25 Jul 2014, 09:21

I think I've mentioned often before that I have years and years of Spanish study via high school, college, and audiobooks. It all slides right back out of my head. I should probably just give up.

David, meanwhile, has a talent for languages and has retained more of his one semester of Spanish 10 years ago than I ever have. Bastard! :lol:

JD

Post by JD » 25 Jul 2014, 10:02

D.A. Ridgely wrote:There are Latin American Indians beating drums outside. They look dangerous. Please advise.
...and the native guide shakes his head and says, "No worry. Drums good."
The explorer says, "Are you sure? They sound threatening."
The guide says, "No worry. Drums OK. Only bad when drums stop."
The explorer says, "What happens when the drums stop?"
And the guide looks at him deadly serious and says..."Bass solo."

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 25 Jul 2014, 10:19

italki.com hooks you up with teachers through skype for pretty cheap.
Saudi Arabia is doing something potentially harmful to America? Oh, hell. Does that mean we're going to invade Iraq again? - Jennifer

JD

Post by JD » 28 Jul 2014, 10:20

I'm a little surprised how fast I seem to be advancing. I've been studying for something like one month, and already the other day when I was out for a walk I was able to understand some spoken and written Spanish. A woman pushing a baby in a stroller approached two women sitting by a church, and they said, "¡Que linda!" and "¡Carita!" A man carrying garbage bags out of a building asked another, "¿Algo más?" A sign in a house window said, "Aquí somos Católicos", and one in front of a church said, "No se permite vender comida y/o bebidas en frente de la iglesia".

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 28 Jul 2014, 11:22

JD wrote:...and one in front of a church said, "No se permite vender comida y/o bebidas en frente de la iglesia".
"No comedy permitted or spilling your drinks on the front of the English." ?? :shock:
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

dhex

Post by dhex » 28 Jul 2014, 11:46

aresen for official spanglish interpreter of grylliade.
"The sort of passion for the Constitution that in a juster world would require him to introduce himself to all his new neighbors every time he moved." - eric b sans rakim

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 28 Jul 2014, 11:47

Seconded!

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 28 Jul 2014, 12:20

Anybody looking to learn German? Here's a handy flowchart.
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

JD

Post by JD » 30 Jul 2014, 00:22

I have been fascinated to discover Rioplatense Spanish, especially since Uruguay is on my short list of places to go if the US ever goes full-on repressive. The pronunciation can be very different (and she doesn't even get into "voseo").

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 30 Jul 2014, 00:27

FYI, the clearest Spanish is that of Colombia, followed by the Andean countries (which does not include Argentina or Chile).
Saudi Arabia is doing something potentially harmful to America? Oh, hell. Does that mean we're going to invade Iraq again? - Jennifer

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 30 Jul 2014, 00:57

Fin Fang Foom wrote:FYI, the clearest Spanish is that of Colombia, followed by the Andean countries (which does not include Argentina or Chile).
In my travels over the years, I have learned that the "purest form" of any given language is always that dialect spoken by the people living in the area that you are currently visiting.

English is not an exception to this rule.

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 30 Jul 2014, 01:13

Aresen wrote:
Fin Fang Foom wrote:FYI, the clearest Spanish is that of Colombia, followed by the Andean countries (which does not include Argentina or Chile).
In my travels over the years, I have learned that the "purest form" of any given language is always that dialect spoken by the people living in the area that you are currently visiting.

No, even other Spanish speakers think that Colombian Spanish is the easiest to understand.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 30 Jul 2014, 05:27

Fin Fang Foom wrote:
Aresen wrote:

No, even other Spanish speakers think that Colombian Spanish is the easiest to understand.
So they're the Canadians of Spanish?
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 30 Jul 2014, 09:19

Clearest Spanish I've ever heard was in Lima. Outside of the city in Peru you get accented things, but right off the flight we had a midnight cab ride to the hotel and I'd guess I was at about 65% comprehension with that guy and everyone else I heard in Lima thereafter. With a Mexican I'm at no more than 35% comprehension.

Chilean spanish is completely incomprehensible to me (more meaningfully, to my wife).

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 30 Jul 2014, 09:43

I always thought Chile would be my bolthole if the US turned full-on cray, but apparently I wouldn't have any language advantage there!

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 30 Jul 2014, 10:53

Eric the .5b wrote:
Fin Fang Foom wrote:
Aresen wrote:

So they're the Canadians of Spanish?
I didn't know you could mumble in Spanish.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 30 Jul 2014, 11:25

Canadian Spanish is presumably the one where they say "lo siento" the most.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 30 Jul 2014, 11:36

Canadian Spanish is the dialect that says "Bonjour" instead of "Hola."
"The first rule of Grylliade club is 'Why are we talking about Grylliade club?'"
--Jake

JD

Post by JD » 30 Jul 2014, 13:58

"Quiero un Moosehead, he."

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 30 Jul 2014, 14:04

Oddly enough, of all the languages I have "studied" I probably know Spanish the least and yet am also least intimidated about trying to use what little I know. Because I am in Mexico at the moment, I would probably chalk that up to some sense of cultural superiority were it not for the fact that I just remembered I had the same experience in Spain.

JD

Post by JD » 13 Aug 2014, 18:18

While I realize that spelling and pronunciation are about a million times more logical in Spanish than they are in English, it is a trifle annoying to see people argue that they are completely logical and therefore Spanish speakers never have any confusion. In a language where h is not pronounced at all; b and v are often interchangeable; c, s, and z can be pronounced essentially the same; y and ll are pronounced much the same (depending on dialect); g and j aren't too far apart; and accent marks may or may not be important to the pronunciation and meaning of a word, there's no way people are not going to make mistakes. I've seen too many misspelled Spanish signs ("Se nesesita", for example) in my own neighborhood to believe otherwise.

JD

Post by JD » 30 Aug 2014, 19:40

Well, Spanish has finally gotten tough; the past tense is kind of kicking my ass right now. But I think it's also partly a weakness in Duolingo: it seemed like all of a sudden there were just all these random new things to learn, but once I looked up Spanish verb conjugation, I realized there was a pattern. But Duolingo doesn't give you patterns or rules much, just random examples. Once you know there's a pattern, you know that, for example, "bostezar", would go yo bosteze', tu bostezaste, e'l bostezo', etc. Without any rules, you're lost in a sea of "-aste"s and "-ieron"s.

Also, I had a realization about English. Spanish is regular enough that you can often guess what part of speech an unknown word is. English isn't like that, though. If you run across a new word like "glurkle", absent a lot of context you have very little idea what it might be - a verb, "to glurkle"? a noun, "a glurkle"? an adjective, "a glurkle car"?