Speaking in tongues (the "learning languages" thread)

Ellie

Re: Speaking in tongues (the "learning languages" thread)

Post by Ellie » 14 Nov 2016, 16:29

Long boring story why I was talking about the refugee family's parent-teacher conferences with a member of the refugee committee at church, but I was asking about a Swahili translator, and he said, "no need, so-and-so speaks enough French to translate for the mom."

What's this, now?

They also speak French?

I could have been learning French this whole time instead of Swahili????

gaaaahhhhhhhhhh

I do wonder what their reaction is going to be when I show up next time butchering TWO languages so I can talk to them :D
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 15 Nov 2016, 16:51

Hey, so I never asked, but where's your refugee family from?

Holly worked with a bunch from Burundi, who spoke a language called "Kurundi" which is a minority language in that area, and for which there were almost no resources. She finally managed to dig up a PDF full of scanned images from an English/Kurundi dictionary, and that was the best she found.

By the way, one possibly important thing to do is to see if you can get a black friend to help them figure out what hygiene and grooming products might be important. That's one area where white folks can't apply their own knowledge, because the physiological differences are real.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"Repeated headdesk is dangerous yo." - JasonL

Mo

Post by Mo » 15 Nov 2016, 17:01

lunchstealer wrote:By the way, one possibly important thing to do is to see if you can get a black friend to help them figure out what hygiene and grooming products might be important. That's one area where white folks can't apply their own knowledge, because the physiological differences are real.
As long as that friend isn't Eriq La Salle.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 16 Nov 2016, 11:45

lunchstealer wrote:Hey, so I never asked, but where's your refugee family from?
Parents are from the Congo. They spent 14 years in a camp in Uganda, where the kids were all born. They speak Swahili and Luganda (glad I don't have to try to learn that one! No idea where I'd find resources). AND FRENCH APPARENTLY :lol:

JD

Post by JD » 16 Nov 2016, 11:51

Ellie wrote:They speak Swahili and Luganda (glad I don't have to try to learn that one! No idea where I'd find resources)
http://learn.learn-luganda.com/
Actually, I'm amazed as anyone that that exists. I was going to suggest trying a local university's Anthropology or Linguistics departments.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 16 Nov 2016, 12:29

That is surprising!

Another interesting (well, interesting to me at least) thing I just learned is that -- probably because the kids learned Swahili from their parents -- they can speak it fluently, but can't read or write it at all. Glad I learned that before I bought or made any books in Swahili for them!

JD

Post by JD » 15 Dec 2016, 13:08

He completado de leer enteramente "Harry Potter y La Piedra Filosofal" con sólo una poca de asistencia de un diccionario. (El español usado en la traducción fue muy "castellano", con usaje frecuente de "vosotros", lo que no conozco bien.) Aprendí muchísimas palabras nuevas, aunque no creo que unos como "gargola", "centauro", o "papanatas" serán muy útiles...

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 15 Dec 2016, 13:25

Veo que el título español no hace el tonto como el título inglés estadounidense
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

JD

Post by JD » 15 Dec 2016, 13:56

Kolohe wrote:Veo que el título español no hace el tonto como el título inglés estadounidense
Sí, es lo mismo que el título de la edición de Gran Bretaña, pero el título español del segundo libro es (extrañamente) "Harry Potter y la Cámara Secreta" y no "la Cámara de Secretos"; no sé por qué, quizas "la Cámara de Secretos" tiene algún otro sentido.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 15 Dec 2016, 15:44

Bueno, JD! :)

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 15 Dec 2016, 17:02

Kolohe wrote:Veo que el título español no hace el tonto como el título inglés estadounidense
I have heard this joked about Americans being dumb for not knowing what a philosopher's stone is but that just makes me question the value of those international science tests that Americans seem to do so poorly in.
Saudi Arabia is doing something potentially harmful to America? Oh, hell. Does that mean we're going to invade Iraq again? - Jennifer

Highway

Post by Highway » 15 Dec 2016, 17:48

おめでとうございます!私は一VNだけ読みました.君は”Harry Potter"が読みましたすごい!
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 15 Dec 2016, 18:45

Parseltongue or GTFO.

Jake

Post by Jake » 12 Jan 2017, 01:20

My youngest is a freshman in high school, and he's learning German (which he enjoys). Serendipitously, I came across this tonight, and it made me laugh. So I immediately passed it along to him, and now to you.

The German Animal Names Flowchart
"Quis pimpodiet ipsos pimpodes?" -- Ellie

JD

Post by JD » 27 Apr 2017, 16:29

I had an interesting realization the other day, sparked by a learner's question about adjectives and personal pronouns. In English, you can use adjectives on nouns (duh) like "The rich man is here." And you can use adjectives on proper names, like "Big Jim is here" although we don't do it as often. But you can't use adjectives on personal pronouns, like "Tall she is here." (Apparently some other languages like Japanese do allow this.)

But English DOES have a way to quasi-use adjectives in a personal-pronoun-like fashion! You can't say "Throw drunk him out of the bar", but you can say "Throw his drunk ass out of the bar", where "his ass" is metonymic for "him".

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 27 Apr 2017, 17:05

Stupid me! I never thought of that!

JD

Post by JD » 28 Apr 2017, 14:22

D.A. Ridgely wrote:Stupid me! I never thought of that!
Yeah, the "exclamatory" adjective+personal pronoun* is the one exception to that...

* I don't know if there's a proper name for it, but YKWIM.

JD

Post by JD » 01 May 2017, 21:00

So Duolingo does not offer Mandarin, apparently because "there's not enough demand for it." Not enough demand for it? You guys offer WELSH AND KLINGON.

But it turns out there's a good Duolingo-like app called HelloChinese. I've gone through a few lessons already, and I like it. Mandarin grammar is dead simple, from what I've learned so far. No genders! No verb conjugation! No articles! Thank Crom for all that, because they actually want you to start writing almost right off the bat. No wonder literacy was historically such a huge deal there. The tones are not too bad - only four (plus a "neutral" tone). I thought there would be more. Thank Crom for that too, because I can already see how distinguishing, say, "xang3" from "xiang2" at high speed could get real difficult...

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 01 May 2017, 21:22

My understanding is that the duolingo people don't think they've come up with a good way to handle the family of writing systems that includes Chinese and Japanese. At least that was the explanation last time I tried to do that.

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 02 May 2017, 00:34

JD wrote:So Duolingo does not offer Mandarin, apparently because "there's not enough demand for it." Not enough demand for it? You guys offer WELSH AND KLINGON.

But it turns out there's a good Duolingo-like app called HelloChinese. I've gone through a few lessons already, and I like it. Mandarin grammar is dead simple, from what I've learned so far. No genders! No verb conjugation! No articles! Thank Crom for all that, because they actually want you to start writing almost right off the bat. No wonder literacy was historically such a huge deal there. The tones are not too bad - only four (plus a "neutral" tone). I thought there would be more. Thank Crom for that too, because I can already see how distinguishing, say, "xang3" from "xiang2" at high speed could get real difficult...
Do not try Cantonese, because they have like 12 tones, IIRC.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

Jadagul

Re: Speaking in tongues (the

Post by Jadagul » 02 May 2017, 03:40

Sandy wrote:
JD wrote:So Duolingo does not offer Mandarin, apparently because "there's not enough demand for it." Not enough demand for it? You guys offer WELSH AND KLINGON.

In to Schoenberg?

JD

Post by JD » 02 May 2017, 06:34

Jadagul wrote:My understanding is that the duolingo people don't think they've come up with a good way to handle the family of writing systems that includes Chinese and Japanese. At least that was the explanation last time I tried to do that.
HelloChinese lets you write your answers in pinyin with tone numbers, pinyin with diacritics, or Chinese characters. I've only tried the tone numbers so far, since it's a lot faster and easier than entering diacritics on my phone.

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 02 May 2017, 11:13

Jadagul wrote:
Sandy wrote:

In to Schoenberg?
Their tones are pitch shifts, not absolute pitches. Uptalking would be a tone.

And Schoenberg is one of the ruiners of western civilization, along with Paul of Tarsus and Karl Marx.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 02 May 2017, 15:40

Sandy wrote:
Jadagul wrote:
Sandy wrote:

In to Schoenberg?
Their tones are pitch shifts, not absolute pitches. Uptalking would be a tone.

And Schoenberg is one of the ruiners of western civilization, along with Paul of Tarsus and Karl Marx.
I'm aware of the distinction. But the twelve-tone coincidence was too fun to ignore.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 02 May 2017, 16:22

Jadagul wrote:My understanding is that the duolingo people don't think they've come up with a good way to handle the family of writing systems that includes Chinese and Japanese. At least that was the explanation last time I tried to do that.
Something I've long been mildly curious about: what do such non-alphabetic written languages do for handling organization and filing, since "alphabetical order" isn't an option?
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b