Baq to Iraq

Mo

Re: Baq to Iraq

Post by Mo » 13 Jul 2016, 10:08

ISIS is moving from a real caliphate to an e-caliphate.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 13 Jul 2016, 11:22

Mo wrote:ISIS is moving from a real caliphate to an e-caliphate.
How ya gonna have a War on Terror if ya ain't got no terrorists?

An invisible, hidden terrorist organization is much better than a terrorist state because you can always claim the war isn't over so long as someone is posting shit on the internet.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 13 Jul 2016, 12:49

Eh, with their fondness for rumpled clothing, beards, and hookah lounges, the jihadists were only a step or two away from being hipsters anyway.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 13 Jul 2016, 13:46

Aresen wrote:
How ya gonna have a War on Terror if ya ain't got no terrorists?

An invisible, hidden terrorist organization is much better than a terrorist state because you can always claim the war isn't over so long as someone is posting shit on the internet.
Especially if the posts are coming from the NSA.

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 11 Aug 2016, 08:59

Slip inside a sleeping bag.

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 28 Sep 2016, 11:05

US to Send More Troops to Iraq to Help With Mosul
http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/natio ... 03761.html
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 03 Nov 2016, 08:35

Apparently the US dropped bombs on six countries this week.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/na ... story.html
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 03 Nov 2016, 11:07

dbcooper wrote:Apparently the US dropped bombs on six countries this week.

It's only Thursday. Give them a break.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 04 Nov 2016, 10:55

dbcooper wrote:Apparently the US dropped bombs on six countries this week.

And the less-crazy one of the candidates thinks the current president is way too cautious.

Fuuuuuuck.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 25 May 2017, 17:21

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
U.S. personnel "could not have predicted" that dozens of Mosul residents would be in a building where ISIS snipers were firing when they authorized a strike on it in March, the Pentagon says in a newly released report. That airstrike in Iraq killed at least 105 civilians.
Of the 105 civilians who died, 101 died in the structure and another four died from damage to the neighboring building, the Pentagon says.

"Eye witnesses and media outlets reported that an additional 36 civilians may have been at the building," according to the report, "however, there is insufficient evidence to determine their status or whereabouts at this time."

The strike had targeted two ISIS snipers who were on the building's second floor; the U.S. bomb was expected to damage no more than 20 percent of the structure, the Pentagon says. Instead, the building was reduced to a crater of rubble, after ISIS-emplaced explosives detonated, the report says.

The Pentagon says the home that was hit on March 17 either was used to store bombs or was rigged with explosives that "conservatively contained more than four times the net explosive weight" of the 500-pound munition (with 192 pounds of explosive material) that was dropped on the building.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 25 May 2017, 17:25

This is like when Fiona Glennanne just used a tiny amount of explosive to blow out a window but Anson Fullerton had bombs rigged to take out the whole building.
"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

nicole

Post by nicole » 21 Jun 2017, 15:19

ISIS has blown up the Great Mosque of al Nuri as Iraqi troops approach.

(http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-39339373)
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 21 Jun 2017, 15:42

nicole wrote:ISIS has blown up the Great Mosque of al Nuri as Iraqi troops approach.

How do you say "tabula rasa" in Arabic?

Mo

Post by Mo » 21 Jun 2017, 17:12

nicole wrote:ISIS has blown up the Great Mosque of al Nuri as Iraqi troops approach.

Clearly this proves that ISIS represents all Muslims.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 21 Jun 2017, 19:07

I'm guessing the conspiracy theory on this one will be 'it was not a controlled demolition, it was an air attack by Western imperialists'
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 21 Jun 2017, 19:14

Kolohe wrote:I'm guessing the conspiracy theory on this one will be 'it was not a controlled demolition, it was an air attack by Western imperialists'
I don't know. ISIS has shown zero respect for the historical and cultural significance of any building or artwork, particularly Shia or pre-Islamic work. Granted, the Mosque was built by a Sunni conqueror, but it does not appear that 'culture' has any place in their plan.

I could even see them portraying the destruction as an effort to keep the Mosque from falling into the hands of 'Heretics and Infidels."

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 21 Jun 2017, 19:15

I just thought it was a ha ha not really ha ha reversal of Tower 7 conspiracy thinking.

nicole

Post by nicole » 21 Jun 2017, 19:21

Kolohe wrote:I'm guessing the conspiracy theory on this one will be 'it was not a controlled demolition, it was an air attack by Western imperialists'
ISIS immediately blamed the US, within minutes of my post here.

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 21 Jun 2017, 19:22

nicole wrote:
ISIS immediately blamed the US, within minutes of my post here.
See, this is why I could never write for the Onion or Duffelblog

nicole

Post by nicole » 21 Jun 2017, 19:22

Aresen wrote:
I don't know. ISIS has shown zero respect for the historical and cultural significance of any building or artwork, particularly Shia or pre-Islamic work. Granted, the Mosque was built by a Sunni conqueror, but it does not appear that 'culture' has any place in their plan.

I could even see them portraying the destruction as an effort to keep the Mosque from falling into the hands of 'Heretics and Infidels."
Well they certainly did it to prevent the anti-Baghdadi* photo op that was coming soon.

*as in opposite of

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 21 Jun 2017, 19:25

Kolohe wrote:I just thought it was a ha ha not really ha ha reversal of Tower 7 conspiracy thinking.
Oh. I assumed you were talking about ISIS denying responsibility.

I am sure that there are plenty of tin-foil-hatters in Muslim countries who would believe anything bad about the west, such as America secretly takes Muslim prisoners to hidden locations in other countries to torture them...

Oh, wait...

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 22 Jun 2017, 22:36

Aresen wrote:

I read an article once about how the Saudis were basically plowing under a bunch of historical sites in Mecca that are not directly associated with the pilgrimage. It had something to do with Wahhabism taking the anti-idolatry thing to an insane extreme, which the Sauds then used as an excuse to plow shit under to make more room for fancy hotels.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 01 Jan 2018, 23:17

I have to admit that the apparent routing of ISIS is an achievement. I don't know how much of it to attribute to Trump. On the surface, it's not clear what/how much the US is doing differently in the region. I don't really believe that Trump is smart enough or informed enough to have crafted any particularly brilliant strategy.

OTOH, it's pretty clear that Obama wanted to defeat ISIS while also balancing a bunch of other strategic considerations, and make sure that ISIS would only lose in a way that didn't increase the power of Assad or Iran. That was always going to make it harder to fight ISIS.

But Assad is an ally of Russia, so Trump wouldn't be upset if his regime benefits. And while Trump doesn't like Iran, he probably doesn't know the difference between a Sunni and a Shia, or between an Arab and a Persian, so he wouldn't actually pay attention or ask hard questions if somebody said "Sir, our special forces working alongside the Iraqis want to do X, it won't cost us many casualties, and it will involve huge, impressive explosions that will impress everyone. People will be saying, great people, they'll be saying it's incredible" He'd be all "Fine, do X, I have to go golfing" and never ask any questions about how this would affect the balance of power between Shia Arabs, Sunni Arabs, and Kurds. (Because he doesn't know enough to ask.) He wouldn't think to ask any hard questions about whether the Iranians are also supporting Baghdad's forces in that move, or whether Iranian-allied militias are operating in a given city and would gain from a particular maneuver.

Is it possible that Trump was partly responsible for the win because he just kept his nose out of it as long as people assured him that everyone would be impressed by what's happening?
"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

Mo

Post by Mo » 01 Jan 2018, 23:30

ISIS was routed because he continued the plan that the Obama administration had created and been working through with success. So credit for not just killing it because it was Obama's plan and the loosened ROE probably sped things along (and killed more civilians), but it's more about not killing a plan that was working than anything new.

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 02 Jan 2018, 11:18

Mo wrote:
01 Jan 2018, 23:30
ISIS was routed because he continued the plan that the Obama administration had created and been working through with success. So credit for not just killing it because it was Obama's plan and the loosened ROE probably sped things along (and killed more civilians), but it's more about not killing a plan that was working than anything new.
Claiming credit for good stuff that came to fruition under your watch even though all the hard digging was done under the previous watch is SOP for all Presidents, Prime Ministers, etc.