Inequality

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 27668
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: Inequality

Post by Warren » 03 Nov 2019, 09:05

dead_elvis wrote:
03 Nov 2019, 01:53
Eric the .5b wrote:
02 Nov 2019, 23:49

They're the people who loudly demand to be disarmed by the state, funnily enough.
See, that's why I'm more a fan of defenestration; it doesn't require any special equipment.
fixed
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
Shem
Posts: 7754
Joined: 27 Apr 2010, 00:27

Re: Inequality

Post by Shem » 03 Nov 2019, 10:32

JasonL wrote:
03 Nov 2019, 06:15
Fucking babies. Yes your life is just like that of a French peasant you poor thing. Shut the fuck up.
As opposed to pearl-clutching and treating a 5% increase in the highest marginal tax rate as if it's class warfare? You know how some people here talk about how leftists lack of nuance in dismissing their opponents left them with no ground to attack alt-righters on racial matters, since everyone supposedly just kind of figures there's no victory condition short of permanent self-abasement? This is the right wing equivalent of that.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

User avatar
JasonL
Posts: 24456
Joined: 05 May 2010, 17:22

Re: Inequality

Post by JasonL » 03 Nov 2019, 11:07

Those people are stupid too. Though, to be fair, the current left isn't talking about a 5% increase in top marginal rates. Nor do I remotely believe that had a 5% increase in top rate been implemented at some point these dumbasses wouldn't still be here acting like they live that oliver twist life.

User avatar
lunchstealer
Posts: 17640
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:25
Location: The Local Fluff in the Local Bubble

Re: Inequality

Post by lunchstealer » 03 Nov 2019, 17:34

My problem is less that these people want to be forcibly disarmed, and more that they're the same people who call the NRA and GOP terrorists for using 'violent' language.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

User avatar
dead_elvis
Posts: 1297
Joined: 01 May 2010, 15:26

Re: Inequality

Post by dead_elvis » 03 Nov 2019, 18:13

lunchstealer wrote:
03 Nov 2019, 17:34
My problem is less that these people want to be forcibly disarmed, and more that they're the same people who call the NRA and GOP terrorists for using 'violent' language.
Oh but to them they aren't using violent language or advocating violence, they're just sayin' this is what happens when you let inequality get out of hand. Which has a strong whiff of the sort of disingenuous passive voice bullshit that is normally reserved for cops.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

User avatar
Shem
Posts: 7754
Joined: 27 Apr 2010, 00:27

Re: Inequality

Post by Shem » 03 Nov 2019, 19:59

dead_elvis wrote:
03 Nov 2019, 18:13
lunchstealer wrote:
03 Nov 2019, 17:34
My problem is less that these people want to be forcibly disarmed, and more that they're the same people who call the NRA and GOP terrorists for using 'violent' language.
Oh but to them they aren't using violent language or advocating violence, they're just sayin' this is what happens when you let inequality get out of hand. Which has a strong whiff of the sort of disingenuous passive voice bullshit that is normally reserved for cops.
I'm actually pretty sure the defense would be "until you see me stockpiling guillotines the way some of the Moron Labe contingent stockpile guns, it's safe to assume the shirt is a joke."

Also, perhaps part of the reason satire and hyperbole aren't exactly respected tactics among certain factions of the left is because left-ish people deploying them have historically had their comments taken as hand-to-God sincere (and prosecuted/attacked accordingly) while their opponents comments got treated as crankery.

Hang on, maybe I can illustrate my point better: "take the shirt seriously, but not literally."
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

User avatar
JasonL
Posts: 24456
Joined: 05 May 2010, 17:22

Re: Inequality

Post by JasonL » 03 Nov 2019, 20:15

Impossible to take it seriously. I do not take the violence part seriously at all - it’s the idea that 2019 left people think it’s possible to seek other than clownish when they roll this out.

User avatar
Shem
Posts: 7754
Joined: 27 Apr 2010, 00:27

Re: Inequality

Post by Shem » 03 Nov 2019, 20:36

JasonL wrote:
03 Nov 2019, 20:15
Impossible to take it seriously. I do not take the violence part seriously at all - it’s the idea that 2019 left people think it’s possible to seek other than clownish when they roll this out.
I had always been under the impression "being clownish" is often a big part of "making a joke."
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

User avatar
Eric the .5b
Posts: 13938
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 16:29

Re: Inequality

Post by Eric the .5b » 03 Nov 2019, 22:50

Shem wrote:
03 Nov 2019, 19:59
dead_elvis wrote:
03 Nov 2019, 18:13
lunchstealer wrote:
03 Nov 2019, 17:34
My problem is less that these people want to be forcibly disarmed, and more that they're the same people who call the NRA and GOP terrorists for using 'violent' language.
Oh but to them they aren't using violent language or advocating violence, they're just sayin' this is what happens when you let inequality get out of hand. Which has a strong whiff of the sort of disingenuous passive voice bullshit that is normally reserved for cops.
I'm actually pretty sure the defense would be "until you see me stockpiling guillotines the way some of the Moron Labe contingent stockpile guns, it's safe to assume the shirt is a joke."

Also, perhaps part of the reason satire and hyperbole aren't exactly respected tactics among certain factions of the left is because left-ish people deploying them have historically had their comments taken as hand-to-God sincere (and prosecuted/attacked accordingly) while their opponents comments got treated as crankery.

Hang on, maybe I can illustrate my point better: "take the shirt seriously, but not literally."
It's a joke, but take it seriously?

How about just "fuck them"? If someone wheeled out a guillotine, these are the people who'd be cheering as not just rich people, but anyone they were told was conservative or libertarian got marched up to it.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

User avatar
Shem
Posts: 7754
Joined: 27 Apr 2010, 00:27

Re: Inequality

Post by Shem » 03 Nov 2019, 23:24

Eric the .5b wrote:
03 Nov 2019, 22:50
Shem wrote:
03 Nov 2019, 19:59
dead_elvis wrote:
03 Nov 2019, 18:13
lunchstealer wrote:
03 Nov 2019, 17:34
My problem is less that these people want to be forcibly disarmed, and more that they're the same people who call the NRA and GOP terrorists for using 'violent' language.
Oh but to them they aren't using violent language or advocating violence, they're just sayin' this is what happens when you let inequality get out of hand. Which has a strong whiff of the sort of disingenuous passive voice bullshit that is normally reserved for cops.
I'm actually pretty sure the defense would be "until you see me stockpiling guillotines the way some of the Moron Labe contingent stockpile guns, it's safe to assume the shirt is a joke."

Also, perhaps part of the reason satire and hyperbole aren't exactly respected tactics among certain factions of the left is because left-ish people deploying them have historically had their comments taken as hand-to-God sincere (and prosecuted/attacked accordingly) while their opponents comments got treated as crankery.

Hang on, maybe I can illustrate my point better: "take the shirt seriously, but not literally."
It's a joke, but take it seriously?
It's a reference to one of the media's favorite defenses of Trump. His incitements get endlessly dissected to determine "were these comments too much?" with even some people here downplaying their importance. Meanwhile, a rando with a t-shirt portends the end of civilization. If it's a leftist, anyway.

It's a real stupid joke. But I'm getting tired of people whose patience for stupid jokes seems to have very predictable boundaries.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

User avatar
JasonL
Posts: 24456
Joined: 05 May 2010, 17:22

Re: Inequality

Post by JasonL » 04 Nov 2019, 06:35

The American guy behind me at Versailles was saying the same shit - we never learn from history and when the inevitable comes the billionaires will have it coming. He wasn’t saying something threatening but he was saying something stupid and he didn’t intend it as a joke. He was putting out into the world that people like him are no better off than French peasants and it’s because Bill Gates took all the stuff. That makes him a joke not a comedian.

User avatar
dead_elvis
Posts: 1297
Joined: 01 May 2010, 15:26

Re: Inequality

Post by dead_elvis » 04 Nov 2019, 11:24

I just think it's disingenuous to imply that violence is the natural result of anything and not something that requires human action. If progressives think violence is an acceptable solution to inequality, they should own it, and if not, shut up about it. The pointing to the right wing stockpiling stuff is whataboutism. As if progressives wouldn't be happy to use the guns of the state for their own ends if they could get their hands on it. Or maybe they'll enforce their equalization with puppies and kisses. Whether guillotines symbolize a joke or an imminent threat, they still symbolize an ends-justify-the-means mentality, which is where they lose me.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

User avatar
Eric the .5b
Posts: 13938
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 16:29

Re: Inequality

Post by Eric the .5b » 04 Nov 2019, 12:47

Shem wrote:
03 Nov 2019, 23:24
Eric the .5b wrote:
03 Nov 2019, 22:50
Shem wrote:
03 Nov 2019, 19:59
dead_elvis wrote:
03 Nov 2019, 18:13
lunchstealer wrote:
03 Nov 2019, 17:34
My problem is less that these people want to be forcibly disarmed, and more that they're the same people who call the NRA and GOP terrorists for using 'violent' language.
Oh but to them they aren't using violent language or advocating violence, they're just sayin' this is what happens when you let inequality get out of hand. Which has a strong whiff of the sort of disingenuous passive voice bullshit that is normally reserved for cops.
I'm actually pretty sure the defense would be "until you see me stockpiling guillotines the way some of the Moron Labe contingent stockpile guns, it's safe to assume the shirt is a joke."

Also, perhaps part of the reason satire and hyperbole aren't exactly respected tactics among certain factions of the left is because left-ish people deploying them have historically had their comments taken as hand-to-God sincere (and prosecuted/attacked accordingly) while their opponents comments got treated as crankery.

Hang on, maybe I can illustrate my point better: "take the shirt seriously, but not literally."
It's a joke, but take it seriously?
It's a reference to one of the media's favorite defenses of Trump. His incitements get endlessly dissected to determine "were these comments too much?" with even some people here downplaying their importance. Meanwhile, a rando with a t-shirt portends the end of civilization. If it's a leftist, anyway.

It's a real stupid joke. But I'm getting tired of people whose patience for stupid jokes seems to have very predictable boundaries.
I'd say "fair enough", considering some people, but fuck it. The only reason we don't have scads of actively violent leftists and left-wing terrorists is because western governments cracked down on violent radical groups since the late sixties, not because of any non-violent virtue of the left. We are long overdue for a crackdown on white supremacists, sure. But the messages people send are the ones they want to convey, and give us this or we start killing people isn't a metaphor.

I've got enough fuck them for the left, the right, and anyone who doesn't like that.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

User avatar
lunchstealer
Posts: 17640
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:25
Location: The Local Fluff in the Local Bubble

Inequality

Post by lunchstealer » 04 Nov 2019, 12:49

Shem wrote:
Eric the .5b wrote:
03 Nov 2019, 22:50
Shem wrote:
03 Nov 2019, 19:59
dead_elvis wrote:
03 Nov 2019, 18:13
lunchstealer wrote:
03 Nov 2019, 17:34
My problem is less that these people want to be forcibly disarmed, and more that they're the same people who call the NRA and GOP terrorists for using 'violent' language.
Oh but to them they aren't using violent language or advocating violence, they're just sayin' this is what happens when you let inequality get out of hand. Which has a strong whiff of the sort of disingenuous passive voice bullshit that is normally reserved for cops.
I'm actually pretty sure the defense would be "until you see me stockpiling guillotines the way some of the Moron Labe contingent stockpile guns, it's safe to assume the shirt is a joke."

Also, perhaps part of the reason satire and hyperbole aren't exactly respected tactics among certain factions of the left is because left-ish people deploying them have historically had their comments taken as hand-to-God sincere (and prosecuted/attacked accordingly) while their opponents comments got treated as crankery.

Hang on, maybe I can illustrate my point better: "take the shirt seriously, but not literally."
It's a joke, but take it seriously?
It's a reference to one of the media's favorite defenses of Trump. His incitements get endlessly dissected to determine "were these comments too much?" with even some people here downplaying their importance. Meanwhile, a rando with a t-shirt portends the end of civilization. If it's a leftist, anyway.

It's a real stupid joke. But I'm getting tired of people whose patience for stupid jokes seems to have very predictable boundaries.
But it’s not a joke. Yes it’s hyperbole but it’s meant to be taken seriously. Not literally, but definitely seriously.

You’re also overstating the seriousness that we’re placing on this shit. It’s stupid dickwaving of the helicopter rides variety, but also the exact type of shit they get the vapors about when the other guys do it. It’s bullshit team sports hypocrisy which isn’t the end of the world but that doesn’t mean we shouldn’t be able to call them assholes for it.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 27668
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: Inequality

Post by Warren » 04 Nov 2019, 12:52

Eric the .5b wrote:
04 Nov 2019, 12:47
We are long overdue for a crackdown on white supremacists, sure.
Who exactly are you proposing we crack down on? For what crimes?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
Eric the .5b
Posts: 13938
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 16:29

Re: Inequality

Post by Eric the .5b » 04 Nov 2019, 13:02

Warren wrote:
04 Nov 2019, 12:52
Eric the .5b wrote:
04 Nov 2019, 12:47
We are long overdue for a crackdown on white supremacists, sure.
Who exactly are you proposing we crack down on? For what crimes?
Get remotely real.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

User avatar
D.A. Ridgely
Posts: 19136
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:09
Location: The Other Side

Re: Inequality

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 04 Nov 2019, 13:25

Eric the .5b wrote:
04 Nov 2019, 13:02
Warren wrote:
04 Nov 2019, 12:52
Eric the .5b wrote:
04 Nov 2019, 12:47
We are long overdue for a crackdown on white supremacists, sure.
Who exactly are you proposing we crack down on? For what crimes?
Get remotely real.
There's an app for that!

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 27668
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: Inequality

Post by Warren » 04 Nov 2019, 13:25

That's what I thought
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
Ellie
Posts: 12659
Joined: 21 Apr 2010, 18:34

Re: Inequality

Post by Ellie » 07 Nov 2019, 11:38

I can't even figure out what he's getting at with this math, but once again, someone thinks a billionaire's wealth is equivalent to a billion dollars sitting in their checking account and not at all tied up in the assets that are earning them their income.
bill gates.PNG
bill gates.PNG (36.65 KiB) Viewed 245 times
"2019 has got to stop injecting dmt straight in the dick hole." - dhex

User avatar
Aresen
Posts: 16241
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 20:18
Location: Great White Pacific Northwest

Re: Inequality

Post by Aresen » 07 Nov 2019, 11:58

Actually, his arithmetic is wrong, too. $7.7 x 106 x 365 x 10 = ~ $2.8 x 1010. Out by an order of magnitude. (1/4T = $2.5 x 1011).
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

User avatar
nicole
Posts: 9905
Joined: 12 Jan 2013, 16:28

Re: Inequality

Post by nicole » 07 Nov 2019, 18:41

Also, what does he think Gates would earn money from if he had no capital?
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex

User avatar
Aresen
Posts: 16241
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 20:18
Location: Great White Pacific Northwest

Re: Inequality

Post by Aresen » 07 Nov 2019, 20:22

nicole wrote:
07 Nov 2019, 18:41
Also, what does he think Gates would earn money from if he had no capital?
I am willing to bet he thinks Gates somehow sucks the money out of people's bank accounts, especially his employees'.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

User avatar
Shem
Posts: 7754
Joined: 27 Apr 2010, 00:27

Re: Inequality

Post by Shem » 07 Nov 2019, 20:33

My working theory is they think billionaires have money bins a la Scrooge McDuck, and they can just roll up with trucks and pack up two thirds of the contents and call it a day.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

User avatar
D.A. Ridgely
Posts: 19136
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:09
Location: The Other Side

Re: Inequality

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 07 Nov 2019, 21:35

Shem wrote:
07 Nov 2019, 20:33
My working theory is they think billionaires have money bins a la Scrooge McDuck, and they can just roll up with trucks and pack up two thirds of the contents and call it a day.
Yep.

Actually, if I had as much money as Gates, etc., I probably *would* have a basement vault filled with gold coins and jewels I could go wallow in because why not?

User avatar
lunchstealer
Posts: 17640
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:25
Location: The Local Fluff in the Local Bubble

Re: Inequality

Post by lunchstealer » 07 Nov 2019, 21:45

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
07 Nov 2019, 21:35
Shem wrote:
07 Nov 2019, 20:33
My working theory is they think billionaires have money bins a la Scrooge McDuck, and they can just roll up with trucks and pack up two thirds of the contents and call it a day.
Yep.

Actually, if I had as much money as Gates, etc., I probably *would* have a basement vault filled with gold coins and jewels I could go wallow in because why not?
Because it's really heavy and it'd be a PITA to have your foundation shored up to handle it?
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 15 guests