Inequality

Kolohe

Re: Inequality

Post by Kolohe » 31 May 2019, 10:16

I've been confusing Norwalk and Norwich during the last few pages, but just wanted to let everyone know that's been corrected.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 31 May 2019, 10:17

Kolohe wrote:
31 May 2019, 10:16
I've been confusing Norwalk and Norwich during the last few pages, but just wanted to let everyone know that's been corrected.
Nor way :o
It's dumb out there kids, keep your heads down. - JasonL

nicole

Post by nicole » 31 May 2019, 10:37

On the question of what does a mixed-income community look like...I mean, I feel like I live in one and while there has been talk of gentrification in the neighborhood to the south of me, that really hasn't been the case where I actually lived/where I lived before moving across the neighborhood for the past 10 years. I make a lot more money than our tenants, who make a lot more money than people in crappier rentals or public housing (of which there is a good amount around, including two buildings on my block and one or two on most others nearby). And there are people in luxury condos next door and around the block who I'm sure make significantly more than we do. The overall range would be anywhere from $0 in private income to...I don't know, $250k-$300k+ for families with two professionals. (Obviously, the low end is subsidized.) There are definitely more-segregated neighborhoods in Chicago than mine, but this also doesn't seem that weird to me.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 31 May 2019, 10:54

Hasn't anyone else seen a neighborhood "go bad"? It happens very quickly and it's devastating to everyone that didn't get out early.

Mo

Post by Mo » 31 May 2019, 14:33

JasonL wrote:I’m not sure about how those studies evaluated neighboring areas. I agree it’s an issue of where you are on the supply curve. I’m more saying I’d presumed any supply would give you some relief and the elasticity doesn’t seem to work that way.
But the thing is it probably does, but you can’t really distinguish between prices went up 5% despite new construction and prices went up 5%, but they would have gone up 7% were it not for the construction.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 20 Jun 2019, 21:00

I'm a fan of wage transparency, but my real question about this video is wtf is that thing sticking to Moynihan's arm?
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 21 Jun 2019, 00:20

Ooh, I can answer this! It's a continuous glucose monitor (for diabetics).
"2019 has got to stop injecting dmt straight in the dick hole." - dhex

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 21 Jun 2019, 02:08

So instead of hoverboards we get diabetic cyborgs? This is not the future we were promised.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

Shem

Post by Shem » 21 Jun 2019, 02:13

No, but it's arguably closer to the future we deserve.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 21 Jun 2019, 13:32

I too am a fan of pay transparency but I somewhat snicker at the idea that it's being advocated as a remedy to income inequality. That's an actual hilarious idea. People seeking to close income inequality should not be focusing on transparency. It may have that effect in manufacturing or icecream scooping, but it will not in shops where there is wide variance in capability driving wide variance in output that's not readily seen in piecemeal production numbers. The more complex the service, the more hands involved, the more the 80/20 rule starts to govern the fates of myn. In those shops the noble obfuscation of the horrors of median productivity is a service. Lots of people are overpaid if you really want to get down to it.

Mo

Post by Mo » 21 Jun 2019, 18:36

Looking at the salaries of people on my team, there’s little correlation between who is paid the most and who I would want to keep the most. It’s part, who negotiated with whom, when they got hired and a bunch of other non performance based factors.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

Warren

Post by Warren » 21 Jun 2019, 20:11

Mo wrote:
21 Jun 2019, 18:36
Looking at the salaries of people on my team, there’s little correlation between who is paid the most and who I would want to keep the most. It’s part, who negotiated with whom, when they got hired and a bunch of other non performance based factors.
Every time I've been allowed to look under the hood, the correlation between performance and compensation is a sort of squinting while waving your hands thing at best.
I think transparency would go a very long ways in wringing inefficiency out of the system.

Mo

Post by Mo » 23 Jun 2019, 18:59

Warren wrote:
21 Jun 2019, 20:11
Mo wrote:
21 Jun 2019, 18:36
Every time I've been allowed to look under the hood, the correlation between performance and compensation is a sort of squinting while waving your hands thing at best.
I think transparency would go a very long ways in wringing inefficiency out of the system.
I mean, I could come up with a bunch of reasons why the pay differential exists pretty easily on a individual by individual basis, but performance ain't it. I make up for pay/performance differentials at EOY bonus time.

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 23 Jun 2019, 19:33

I find any handwringing about this stuff funny because my biz is highly unionized as well as non-profit (form 990 ftw), so for pretty much my whole life the majority of salaries are known. It's not a big deal and it's pretty healthy- healthier than the secrecy that shrouds the middle, where some negotiation can happen in the shadows.

Much of my observations about that middle is that the most important thing to some people is simply feeling special. The idea that they might make merely the same as others in similar positions, even when it's a damn good salary, is a grave personal insult that means they aren't valued.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Shem

Post by Shem » 23 Jun 2019, 20:00

I find it weird also. Not only do my coworkers know my salary, but with my name and Google, literally anyone else can too. Somehow, the world turns.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 24 Jun 2019, 01:42

I don’t know how many shops are like this but over time our company has moved to a model of “market parity” in base pay and variability in performance pay. So salary creep among tenured has been mitigated after say 8 years of freezing from increases people with base above an HR calculated replacement wage. All the action is in performance pay which is now like 40% of comp for people in my role.

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 04 Jul 2019, 21:50

Ellie wrote:
17 May 2019, 11:17
Is it just me or is the whole "ha ha but not really" guillotine meme catching on lately?
The other day... was at doctor's office and noticed a magazine called Town and Country. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised something like this exists but it's so tone deaf I'm surprised it's not named Marie-Antoinette magazine.
Screen Shot 2019-07-04 at 6.40.57 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-07-04 at 6.40.57 PM.png (866.48 KiB) Viewed 854 times
Screen Shot 2019-07-04 at 6.41.27 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-07-04 at 6.41.27 PM.png (789.87 KiB) Viewed 854 times
Yeah the worst thing about Brexit is your dinner party will be slightly hassled? Spending outrageous amounts of money to look glamorous is resistance? *Almost* enough to make me consider that the "ha ha but not really" people aren't entirely wrong...
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 05 Jul 2019, 02:47

But, I mean that’s always been what those people talk about. The idea that the guillotines come out because that persons third niece has student debt from Columbia U makes me nut punchy.

Dude in line at Versailles with new iPhone talking about how the mega rich gave taken everything and “we learn nothing from history” - fucking choke on your latte dude.

Warren

Post by Warren » 05 Jul 2019, 11:11

JasonL wrote:
05 Jul 2019, 02:47
But, I mean that’s always been what those people talk about. The idea that the guillotines come out because that persons third niece has student debt from Columbia U makes me nut punchy.

Dude in line at Versailles with new iPhone talking about how the mega rich gave taken everything and “we learn nothing from history” - fucking choke on your latte dude.
Reminds me of the first time gasoline hit five bucks per. I was refueling during the evening rush and some middle management dbag pulls up in his oversized SUV opposite my pump and scowls about having to "put over a hundred dollars in this thing".

Shem

Post by Shem » 05 Jul 2019, 11:15

JasonL wrote:
In a previous era, doing it in the presence of people of lesser means was seen as vulgar, and avoided. Vulgar is only for people too poor in financial or social to soak social consequences now, though. That's a lot of what pisses people off about it.

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 05 Jul 2019, 13:04

Shem wrote:
05 Jul 2019, 11:15
JasonL wrote:
In a previous era, doing it in the presence of people of lesser means was seen as vulgar, and avoided. Vulgar is only for people too poor in financial or social to soak social consequences now, though. That's a lot of what pisses people off about it.
Everyone has it better than somebody, and even working class people can prioritize expensive hobbies. I think people interested in high end things should be able to talk about them. IMO It's the flaunting it in delusional ways that's the rub. If it had been a special luxury issue of a car magazine I wouldn't have noticed because at least no one is kidding themselves and they are still machines for a purpose that can be relevant to people with lesser cars. Something on throwing a luxurious dinner party or discussing glamorous fashion doesn't bother me, It's the flaunting of the lifestyle attitude over discussing the things themselves that makes it vulgar IMO.

Warren

Post by Warren » 05 Jul 2019, 13:38

dead_elvis wrote:
05 Jul 2019, 13:04
Shem wrote:
05 Jul 2019, 11:15
JasonL wrote:
Everyone has it better than somebody, and even working class people can prioritize expensive hobbies. I think people interested in high end things should be able to talk about them. IMO It's the flaunting it in delusional ways that's the rub. If it had been a special luxury issue of a car magazine I wouldn't have noticed because at least no one is kidding themselves and they are still machines for a purpose that can be relevant to people with lesser cars. Something on throwing a luxurious dinner party or discussing glamorous fashion doesn't bother me, It's the flaunting of the lifestyle attitude over discussing the things themselves that makes it vulgar IMO.
It was Town and Country. That's equivalent.
Wikipedia wrote:Most of the advertising copy in the magazine is for luxury goods and services. The feature articles and photography focus primarily on fashion, arts, culture, interior design, travel, weddings, parties, gala events and other interests and concerns of the upper class.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 05 Jul 2019, 15:22

I Googled the article but could only read through about half of it; the text is even worse than the headline. "Ooh, it's terrible what Brexit might do to England! Hostesses have to be extra-careful deciding who sits next to whom at their dinner parties! The horror, the horror!"
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 08 Jul 2019, 19:26

In before: jadagul posts to let us know that, yes, this has already become a terrible problem for him.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 08 Jul 2019, 20:00

Maybe they can do another article about how posh American parties are being ruined because ICE keeps putting their servants in concentration camps so the hostesses had to actually serve the food themselves!
"I understand the need to enforce the immigration laws," said Amanda Wythe-Higginbotham, "but why couldn't they have waited until the end of debutante season?"
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b