Inequality

D.A. Ridgely

Re: Inequality

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 31 Mar 2018, 23:22

Bachelorette parties cross race and economic class, however more prevalent they may be among white collar but working class women. They're the absolute worst thing that can happen to a comedy club no matter how big a tab they run up because they're completely self-absorbed with their sexual innuendo party favors and lurid jokes and they absolutely refuse to STFU, which results in the equivalent of heckling raised several orders of magnitude.

Warren

Post by Warren » 31 Mar 2018, 23:33

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
31 Mar 2018, 23:22
Bachelorette parties cross race and economic class, however more prevalent they may be among white collar but working class women. They're the absolute worst thing that can happen to a comedy club no matter how big a tab they run up because they're completely self-absorbed with their sexual innuendo party favors and lurid jokes and they absolutely refuse to STFU, which results in the equivalent of heckling raised several orders of magnitude.
Excellent point. Every comedian has to be able to deal with hecklers. What are some of the most effective counter attacks you've seen deployed against B-ette parties?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 01 Apr 2018, 01:35

Warren wrote:
31 Mar 2018, 23:33
D.A. Ridgely wrote:
31 Mar 2018, 23:22
Excellent point. Every comedian has to be able to deal with hecklers. What are some of the most effective counter attacks you've seen deployed against B-ette parties?
There isn't any. The club owner will have the sense to seat them as far from the stage as possible, but they'll soon be drunk and loud and the only real advantage the comic has is the microphone. A big name headliner can get them tossed out but every other comic just has to get the crowd on his side and soldier on despite the chatter.

nicole

Post by nicole » 03 Apr 2018, 10:21

Interesting: Illinois activists appear to be trying to take the phrase "fair tax" and turn it into its opposite, as they fight for graduated state income tax rates: https://chicago.suntimes.com/opinion/ed ... ncome-tax/

There's also a hashtag going, #FairTaxNow.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 05 Apr 2018, 23:52

Police shot unarmed Saheed Vassell nine times.

But it's not their fault. Blame it on gentrification.

"NB stands for nota bene do not @ me" - nicole

Warren

Post by Warren » 06 Apr 2018, 00:00

Ellie wrote:
05 Apr 2018, 23:52

So... Is his apartment available?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 06 Apr 2018, 00:09

Ellie wrote:

Obviously you can't blame the cops. They're Union Men®. Solidarity forever!
Warren wrote:
06 Apr 2018, 00:00
So... Is his apartment available?
Warren wins the internets for tonight.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 06 Apr 2018, 02:10

Cops don't kill people. Hipsters kill people.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Tuco

Post by Tuco » 07 Apr 2018, 09:10

Well, whoever's killing these poor sons of bitches, please stop.

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 11 Apr 2018, 16:01

Ellie wrote:

This is actually one of the big complaints of gentrification. Previously laws went unenforced and the police were non-responsive, but when the area starts gentrifying, the cops enforce the law against the poor and brown people who were there before.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 11 Apr 2018, 16:38

Fin Fang Foom wrote:
11 Apr 2018, 16:01
This is actually one of the big complaints of gentrification. Previously laws went unenforced and the police were non-responsive, but when the area starts gentrifying, the cops enforce the law against the poor and brown people who were there before.
We don't pay the police to sit on their donut-stuffed asses. Neither do we pay them to murder harmless kooks, guys with shower heads, kids with toy guns, or people holding up their empty hands.

Neither does whether someone patronizes sufficiently black local businesses have a damn thing to do with trigger-happy cops. I can halfway see the point, but trying to put these deaths on the white people who have the effrontery to move into minority neighborhoods, and not the damn cops, is just bullshit.

(For all that I've very faintly defended Coates and company, it's a no-win setup. If white people move away, it's white flight. If they stay where they are, it's segregation. If they move in, it's gentrification. Fuck it.)
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 11 Apr 2018, 17:03

I think the problem is this:

1. Minority neighborhood exists for whatever reason.
2. Property values decline, both directly due to racism (i.e. whites not wanting to live there due to minorities) and increase in crime.
3. Residents do not have real access to the police, good institutions, etc. as well have bad services and lack of jobs (due to depressed local economy and inability to get to job due to poor transit).
4. Residents come to a modus vivendi. Certain things that are technically illegal are not practically illegal in the neighborhood, e.g. noise laws. Other things, i.e. drug laws, are disproportionately enforced against the neighborhood. There is a strong disinclination to go to the police and certain communal norms allow the neighborhood to exist.
5. Due to the above, residents cannot accumulate wealth or skills.
6. At some point the economy of the city starts to turn, and the most desirable areas become more valuable first, but eventually neglected neighborhoods become desirable enough.
7. The residents likely have benefitted from the economic upturn, but they are not equal in income to the newcomers, and they wisely do not yet trust the authorities.
8. Prices go up, driving incumbents out, and the newcomers are willing to use the police to enforce the norms they brought with them.
9. The newcomers are ignorant of the dynamics at play, but the incumbents don't have a real complaint about gentrification in this situation?

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 12 Apr 2018, 19:07

Fin Fang Foom wrote:
11 Apr 2018, 17:03
9. The newcomers are ignorant of the dynamics at play, but the incumbents don't have a real complaint about gentrification in this situation?
I guess not?

None of that is mysterious, but I have a hard time seeing it as anything other than an attempt to scapegoat those unwelcome newcomers (you know, people who are definitionally "ignorant of the dynamics at play") for a well-know, existing problem. A Hell of a lot of people are getting shot by cops without white hipsters being involved.

(I also find it hard to believe that if they didn't make noise complaints, they wouldn't just be "those white assholes who come into our neighborhood and have the gall to ask us to turn the music down".)

Warren

Post by Warren » 12 Apr 2018, 20:20

Eric the .5b wrote:
12 Apr 2018, 19:07
Fin Fang Foom wrote:
I guess not?

None of that is mysterious, but I have a hard time seeing it as anything other than an attempt to scapegoat those unwelcome newcomers (you know, people who are definitionally "ignorant of the dynamics at play") for a well-know, existing problem. A Hell of a lot of people are getting shot by cops without white hipsters being involved.

(I also find it hard to believe that if they didn't make noise complaints, they wouldn't just be "those white assholes who come into our neighborhood and have the gall to ask us to turn the music down".)
*nods*
I'm sure many of the long time residents didn't care for the noise either. Did the cops respond to noise complaints back in the day? Or did that just happen when the newbies moved in?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 12 Apr 2018, 20:53

Warren wrote:
12 Apr 2018, 20:20
I'm sure many of the long time residents didn't care for the noise either. Did the cops respond to noise complaints back in the day? Or did that just happen when the newbies moved in?
There's a third possibility: the longtime residents didn't bother calling the cops for noise complaints, whereas the newbies do.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Mo

Post by Mo » 20 Apr 2018, 10:07

Warren wrote:
12 Apr 2018, 20:20
Eric the .5b wrote:
12 Apr 2018, 19:07
Fin Fang Foom wrote:
I guess not?

*nods*
I suspect it was the latter. You stay in your formerly minority neighborhood and all of the sudden stuff like WWB and DWB start getting enforced.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

nicole

Post by nicole » 24 Apr 2018, 13:58

So JasonL have you started seeing "jobs guarantee" chatter and if so how many times have you stroked out over it so far

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 24 Apr 2018, 14:19

nicole wrote:
24 Apr 2018, 13:58
So JasonL have you started seeing "jobs guarantee" chatter and if so how many times have you stroked out over it so far
I eagerly anticipate what other ideas they can lift from Soviet Russia.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

The sun only shines when a woman is being sexually abused. - Warren

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 24 Apr 2018, 15:09

Kinda of ironic (in the non-ironic Alanis Morrissette sense of the word) that I should see the "job guarantee" the same day I read a report that almost 1 out of 4 jobs don't pay enough to get the jobholder out of poverty. I expect right-wing types to continue promoting the myth "Laziness and/or unemployment is the ONLY reason a modern American could be poor," but left-of-center types are, in theory, supposed to know better.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

JasonL

Inequality

Post by JasonL » 24 Apr 2018, 15:14

25% of all jobholders are not in poverty

ETA prosperity now are commies.

ETA super weird you’d publish a study saying poor choices aren’t important but fail to control for choices. Almost like you didn’t try.
Last edited by JasonL on 24 Apr 2018, 15:14, edited 1 time in total.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 24 Apr 2018, 15:17

JasonL wrote:
24 Apr 2018, 15:14
25% of all jobholders are not in poverty
I know. Good thing the article didn't say that!

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 24 Apr 2018, 15:24

Semi-related: one of the Atlanta suburbs is vying to be the site of the next Amazon headquarters or warehouse or whatever -- via offering all sorts of crony tax deals and the like -- and the hell of it is, most of those jobs pay so little that the workers are still going to need food stamps and other assistance to get by. Which again demonstrates that "jobs" along are not sufficient; does this supposed "job guarantee" say anything about how much said job would actually pay, or is it simply a matter of "a job is a job, and having one is the only thing that matters?"

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 24 Apr 2018, 15:38

I’d not heard new calls for job guarantee. It’s a thing stupid people bring up every 15 years or so though.

nicole

Post by nicole » 24 Apr 2018, 15:38

Jennifer wrote:
24 Apr 2018, 15:09
Kinda of ironic (in the non-ironic Alanis Morrissette sense of the word) that I should see the "job guarantee" the same day I read a report that almost 1 out of 4 jobs don't pay enough to get the jobholder out of poverty. I expect right-wing types to continue promoting the myth "Laziness and/or unemployment is the ONLY reason a modern American could be poor," but left-of-center types are, in theory, supposed to know better.
Well, to be fair, they want the jobs to pay $15/hr plus benefits.

nicole

Post by nicole » 24 Apr 2018, 15:39

JasonL wrote:
24 Apr 2018, 15:38
I’d not heard new calls for job guarantee. It’s a thing stupid people bring up every 15 years or so though.
Yep it’s getting some traction. Corey Booker has a bill. I would link you to some takes but I’m at the vet’s office.