Re: Inequality

Post by Warren » 06 Mar 2018, 11:04

I need to be young again.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 06 Mar 2018, 11:28

How is this not a racist pogrom?

WT GET OUT + masked mob throwing bottles and threatening people?

nicole

Post by nicole » 06 Mar 2018, 11:52

Yeah, I mean, no joke.

(I mean I'm also not even kidding. These people are also begging for more money for CPS, predicated in large part on wanting to keep segregated schools, and they can extremely go fuck themselves.)
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

Shem

Post by Shem » 06 Mar 2018, 12:21

Ellie wrote:
06 Mar 2018, 10:26
Do we think Jason's sister and Nicole's sister would get along really well, or try to attack each other within minutes if placed in the same room together?
It's an age-old question, similar to "if you met an exact copy of yourself, would you end up making out with them, or trying to kill them?"
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

Warren

Post by Warren » 06 Mar 2018, 12:26

nicole wrote:
06 Mar 2018, 11:52
These people are also begging for more money for CPS, predicated in large part on wanting to keep segregated schools
Child Protective Services? How does that give you segregated schools?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

nicole

Post by nicole » 06 Mar 2018, 12:28

Warren wrote:
06 Mar 2018, 12:26
nicole wrote:
06 Mar 2018, 11:52
These people are also begging for more money for CPS, predicated in large part on wanting to keep segregated schools
Child Protective Services? How does that give you segregated schools?
Chicago Public Schools
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 06 Mar 2018, 12:29

Shem wrote:
06 Mar 2018, 12:21
"if you met an exact copy of yourself, would you end up making out with them, or trying to kill them?"
If I met a copy of myself we'd be having sex so fast it would be break the sound barrier.
"NB stands for nota bene do not @ me" - nicole

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 06 Mar 2018, 12:32

Shem wrote:
Ellie wrote:
Do we think Jason's sister and Nicole's sister would get along really well, or try to attack each other within minutes if placed in the same room together?
It's an age-old question, similar to "if you met an exact copy of yourself, would you end up making out with them, or trying to kill them?"
Compromise: accidental sexual strangulation.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 06 Mar 2018, 12:35

Shem wrote:
Ellie wrote:
Kill them. Knows too many secrets.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 06 Mar 2018, 12:35

Ellie wrote:
06 Mar 2018, 12:29
Shem wrote:
"if you met an exact copy of yourself, would you end up making out with them, or trying to kill them?"
If I met a copy of myself we'd be having sex so fast it would be break the sound barrier.
Who'd be on top?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 06 Mar 2018, 12:45

JasonL wrote:
06 Mar 2018, 10:04
It's my sister's new thing too. Last time I was at her house I got this spiel about how there needed to be regulations that forced communities to be mixed. Like every other unit would be price capped and could only by law be offered to low income families. She also had this plan for mandatory public service for white suburban kids.
Maybe we should just redline certain areas to prevent property sales or maybe renovations exceeding $x/sqft, or any new construction. That would protect those areas from gentrification or change.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Shem

Post by Shem » 06 Mar 2018, 12:50

Ellie wrote:
Shem wrote:
Yeah, some people, it's just like "I know exactly what you wind up doing. Well, who, in this case."
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 06 Mar 2018, 12:56

lunchstealer wrote:
06 Mar 2018, 12:45
JasonL wrote:
It's my sister's new thing too. Last time I was at her house I got this spiel about how there needed to be regulations that forced communities to be mixed. Like every other unit would be price capped and could only by law be offered to low income families. She also had this plan for mandatory public service for white suburban kids.
Maybe we should just redline certain areas to prevent property sales or maybe renovations exceeding $x/sqft, or any new construction. That would protect those areas from gentrification or change.
Slums forever!
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 06 Mar 2018, 14:16

nicole wrote:
06 Mar 2018, 10:13
JasonL wrote:
Pretty sure the anti-gentrifiers do not want to be mixed...
Different city, same story:
https://reason.com/blog/2018/02/21/san- ... years-1-mi
https://missionlocal.org/2016/01/commun ... urns-ugly/
But beneath the various back-and-forths lay the meat of the issue: The crowd wanted the project to be fully affordable and feared the contribution such housing would make to displacing existing residents.

“We are opposing this project as is,” said Erick Arguello, a member of the merchants’ association Calle 24. “It’s not meeting any of the needs of this neighborhood. We need this to be 100 percent affordable housing.”

Though it was unclear if opposition would vanish even if the project were fully affordable, leading Tillman to ask: “Do all these objections still apply if it’s 100 percent affordable?” People seemed split on the issue.
Of course, the only right thing to do:
“The best thing to do is to sell the property to the city,” he said.

Something the property owner said he is willing to do, under one condition: The city must buy the land from him, entitlements and all, for $250,000 a unit — the same price it recently paid to transform a 72-unit market-rate building at 490 South Van Ness Ave. into affordable housing.
Dairo Romero, for one, is unconvinced. A community planning manager at the Mission Economic Development Agency and nearby resident, Romero said he did not want developers to think they should be able to get $250,000 per unit as with 490 South Van Ness Ave., a sale that was controversial because developers originally purchased the site for $2.5 million but sold it to the city for $18.5 million.
To be clear, the local residents object to more housing, even if it's below market rate, unless it's developed by the city and then only if the city cheats the developer out of the potential value of the building the city won't let him build.

Slums forever baby!!
"pedialyte is like planned parenthood for hangovers. it costs you a bit, but it makes your little problem go away until the next time you drink too much."-- dhex
"Sweet tea is the archvillain in Wilford Brimley's origin story." -- Ellie

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 06 Mar 2018, 14:28

Shem wrote:
Ellie wrote:
He and I would be plotting world domination. We'd refrain from killing each other until we had a throne to kill over.
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

Highway

Post by Highway » 06 Mar 2018, 14:30

And City-as-housing-developer is always going to work out great...
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 06 Mar 2018, 16:28

Shem wrote:
Ellie wrote:
"Everyone's crazy except for me and you, and you...wait, you're obviously OK."

"But we don't like big, hairy guys."

"Nope. Video games?"

"Sure."
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 06 Mar 2018, 17:02

Warren wrote:
06 Mar 2018, 12:35
Ellie wrote:
Shem wrote:
Who'd be on top?
There's no top in scissoring, duh.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 06 Mar 2018, 18:33

All lefty’s know there is “handedness” if you will in the area of scissors.

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 06 Mar 2018, 18:55

UPTALK

CisChrono-coitus is chiral?

/UPTALK

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 06 Mar 2018, 18:57

nicole wrote:
05 Mar 2018, 14:26
https://www.yahoo.com/news/new-generati ... 00522.html

So they also want me to stop paying for their kids' imprisonment, right?
Curse Yahoo for the annoying insta-play videos they put on every story.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 06 Mar 2018, 19:03

Kwix wrote:
06 Mar 2018, 14:16
Slums forever baby!!
I pretty much assume that's the goal of the "community leaders" and politicians who push this stuff. It keeps them in power.
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 06 Mar 2018, 19:09

The thing about these "radical" anti-gentrifiers mentioned in Nicole's Yahoo story is, they do have legitimate complaints in that poor people are indeed harmed by the increasing unattainability of housing -- but of course their proposed "solution" is guaranteed to make things worse -- instead of calling for more NIMBY laws, dismantle the ones already in place! And snob zoning and everything else.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 06 Mar 2018, 19:14

Jennifer wrote:
06 Mar 2018, 19:09
The thing about these "radical" anti-gentrifiers mentioned in Nicole's Yahoo story is, they do have legitimate complaints in that poor people are indeed harmed by the increasing unattainability of housing -- but of course their proposed "solution" is guaranteed to make things worse -- instead of calling for more NIMBY laws, dismantle the ones already in place! And snob zoning and everything else.
I've never heard any anti-gentrifiers suggest anything plausible that would help their neighborhoods. They're very much of a piece with Trump voters who don't want a handout, no sirree, but also don't want to lift a damn finger to learn a new trade or get a job that wasn't that great manufacturing gig.

Arguably, they're even worse than the trumpkins, in the sense that the trumpkins want the world rewound to when they did in fact have good jobs, while the anti-gentrifiers supposedly want their neighborhoods improved without actually the neighborhoods changing in any way.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 06 Mar 2018, 19:20

Eric the .5b wrote:
06 Mar 2018, 19:14
Jennifer wrote:
06 Mar 2018, 19:09
I've never heard any anti-gentrifiers suggest anything plausible that would help their neighborhoods. They're very much of a piece with Trump voters who don't want a handout, no sirree, but also don't want to lift a damn finger to learn a new trade or get a job that wasn't that great manufacturing gig.
I can't understand why "NIMBY laws harm the poor; work to get rid of those if you want to help poor people afford housing" is so fucking controversial. There are SO MANY examples to illustrate this -- it's not one of those esoteric wonky things where you need to spend lots of time learning minutiae to grasp the concept.