Inequality

Kolohe

Re: Inequality

Post by Kolohe » 21 Jan 2017, 12:32

Warren wrote:
Kolohe wrote:
Warren wrote: Plus SNL has a US Senator.
Predator has two US state governors!

(and the WWE Hall of Fame has those two governors *and* a US President)
Who from WWE aside from Jesse?
Arnold and Donald
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 21 Jan 2017, 12:35

Kolohe wrote:
Warren wrote:
Kolohe wrote:
Warren wrote: Plus SNL has a US Senator.
Predator has two US state governors!

(and the WWE Hall of Fame has those two governors *and* a US President)
Who from WWE aside from Jesse?
Arnold and Donald
Huh. I guess I could google to find out what their involvement with the WWE was, but I'm not that curious.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

nicole

Post by nicole » 09 May 2017, 13:50

Capping the MID at $500,000 would have virtually no effect on homeownership rates. And according to the economist Glaeser, it would have only “modest effects on home prices” in supply-constrained cities like San Francisco and virtually no effect in cities with plenty of available land, like Houston. “Most homeowners wouldn’t even feel it,” Glaeser says, pointing out further that encouraging homeownership typically means moving people from multifamily buildings to single-family homes, which increases traffic congestion and pollution. But capping the MID at half a million dollars could cause properties in the $625,000 to $1.25 million range to drop in value.

Would we be O.K. with that? Would we support reform that provided desperately needed housing relief to millions of low-income Americans if it meant that the net worth of those who owned expensive homes took a hit? The answer is almost certainly no, at least for owners of houses valued north of $500,000. Wealth granted by a bizarre government subsidy is still wealth, and once people have it, they’d prefer to keep it. When it comes to public housing for the rich, it becomes hard to break the cycle of welfare dependency. It’s why some Democratic leaders who represent districts with high housing prices, like Representative Nancy Pelosi (San Francisco) and Senator Chuck Schumer (New York), have been outspoken critics of MID reform, even if they are consistent backers of other equality-promoting initiatives.
And yet we continue to give the most help to those who least need it — affluent homeowners — while providing nothing to most rent-burdened tenants. If this is our design, our social contract, then we should at least own up to it; we should at least stand up and profess, “Yes, this is the kind of nation we want.” Before us, there are two honest choices: We can endorse this inequality-maximizing arrangement, or we can reject it. What we cannot do is look a mother like Diaz in the face and say, “We’d love to help you, but we just can’t afford to.” Because that is, quite simply, a lie.
From a NYT Magazine article on the mortgage interest deduction promoting inequality: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/09/maga ... ality.html Pretty much as good as it could be considering the publication.

Especially enjoyed:
Racial exclusion was Roosevelt’s first concession to pass the New Deal; his second, to avoid a tax revolt, was to rely on regressive and largely hidden payroll taxes to fund generous social-welfare programs. A result, the historian Michelmore observes, is that we “never asked ordinary taxpayers to pay for the economic security many soon came to expect as a matter of right.” In providing millions of middle-class families stealth benefits, the American government rendered itself invisible to those families, who soon came to see their success as wholly self-made. We forgot because we were not meant to remember.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Privilege is having large phones fit into the garments that society expects you to wear." -Dangerman

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 09 May 2017, 13:52

dingdingdingding

sigh.

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 09 May 2017, 15:01

The Conservative Party under Harper, briefly floated the idea of introducing mortgage interest deductibility when they were in power. Fortunately, the banker and fiscal conservative wing of the party proved more influential than the realtor and populist wing.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 09 May 2017, 23:55

So, the middle class got prosperous because the federal government lowered the amount of money it was taking from them.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 10 May 2017, 08:11

If that's how you want to describe people who can already afford large homes getting big federal subsidy to get bigger homes, I guess.

Highway

Post by Highway » 10 May 2017, 08:38

I'm all for getting rid of the Mortgage Interest Deduction, especially since I'll be closing out my mortgage this year... ;)
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

nicole

Post by nicole » 07 Aug 2017, 16:24

Pay no attention to the unlicensed...

"Privilege is having large phones fit into the garments that society expects you to wear." -Dangerman

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 07 Aug 2017, 16:33

nicole wrote:
07 Aug 2017, 16:24
Pay no attention to the unlicensed...

If they'd only follow proper procedure, they could benefit from the license.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 08 Aug 2017, 09:40

Licensing is whatever (not great in my general view) but it doesn't address "The Box" during application and interview. (The Box is the question "Have you ever been arrested or convicted for a felony, if yes please explain..")

nicole

Post by nicole » 08 Aug 2017, 10:24

Dangerman wrote:
08 Aug 2017, 09:40
Licensing is whatever (not great in my general view) but it doesn't address "The Box" during application and interview. (The Box is the question "Have you ever been arrested or convicted for a felony, if yes please explain..")
Sure it does. You don't get a license to begin with if you were going to have to check the box.

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 08 Aug 2017, 12:57

I'm not sure how universal that is. I'm pretty sure you can get a dog grooming license with a felony on your record.

Highway

Post by Highway » 08 Aug 2017, 13:19

If you can get someone to front you the money for the gatekeeping fee and whatever "training" you needed to have because you can't get other work with a felony on your record...
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 08 Aug 2017, 19:39

Highway wrote:
08 Aug 2017, 13:19
If you can get someone to front you the money for the gatekeeping fee and whatever "training" you needed to have because you can't get other work with a felony on your record...
Yes, this is exactly my point.

nicole

Post by nicole » 11 Aug 2017, 17:44

Well, that didn't take long

Warren

Post by Warren » 11 Aug 2017, 20:08

nicole wrote:
11 Aug 2017, 17:44
Well, that didn't take long

I don't know Orville, you better check with Wilbur on that one.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 29 Aug 2017, 23:29

nicole wrote:
01 Dec 2015, 16:14
So, there may be more to the story about the CEO of Gravity paying everyone $70k... http://www.bloomberg.com/features/2015- ... dan-price/
here's an update on this company. Apparently (and surprising to me) Gravity did not fall.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 30 Aug 2017, 08:49

If your competition environment permits you not to have to price against automation you can do this. I'm more surprised the competition for price isn't that serious in his biz.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 30 Aug 2017, 09:01

Something doesn't quite smell right about all this though. We are facing decade long relentless pressure to reduce the cost per customer account serviced, and my business isn't that different I don't think. High labor costs are brutal inputs to customer acquisition and maintenance. You can't scale anything with that much headwind. The most similar models I can think of are boutique retail places such as the one profiled on Econ Talk a while back that sell at large markup to the Values Consumer (local, american workers, organic cotton blah blah).

Mo

Post by Mo » 30 Aug 2017, 09:06

JasonL wrote:
30 Aug 2017, 09:01
Something doesn't quite smell right about all this though. We are facing decade long relentless pressure to reduce the cost per customer account serviced, and my business isn't that different I don't think. High labor costs are brutal inputs to customer acquisition and maintenance. You can't scale anything with that much headwind. The most similar models I can think of are boutique retail places such as the one profiled on Econ Talk a while back that sell at large markup to the Values Consumer (local, american workers, organic cotton blah blah).
I wonder if it's because there are intangible benefits that are hard to measure coming through. Higher quality employees, better customer service (which reduces the need for customer service), lower turnover, etc. Like on a pure price basis, offshoring your call center should save you money, but lots of companies find that bringing it back on shore has way more business benefit than the money save by a lower hourly wage. Focusing solely on wages uber alles misses the forest.

Price competition is pretty rough in that business. Payment processing is pretty commodity.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 30 Aug 2017, 09:14

I mean yeah, we never did off shore customer service, but we are doing everything in our power to drive call volume through digital platforms and those investments come in part from managing labor costs. We have been doing it organically for the most part, offering a pre retiree buy out last year for example and replacing 1/3 of the heads that left kind of thing. There is no possible way in the world raising say rep base to $70k (I think intro is like $43k or something these days?) could add enough value at scale to be worth it once we got into pricing discussions. Platform scales, process scales, service model scales - people don't except to the extent they can influence platform, process, model etc.

Shem

Post by Shem » 30 Aug 2017, 09:19

I believe quite a bit of the cost was offset by the boss taking quite a significant pay cut. Between that and the money saved by severely reducing attrition, it probably wasn't as damaging to the bottom line as a lot of people assumed it'd be.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 30 Aug 2017, 09:30

Looks like they are something like 150 heads total so the math could work out by reducing exec pay, especially if he was killing it before to the extent he doesn't really use salary per se. In large firms you are dividing that cut over too many heads to matter all that much.

Mo

Post by Mo » 30 Aug 2017, 09:34

I think it's also that turnover is more costly than assumed, especially on customer facing jobs.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex