Inequality

User avatar
Mo
Posts: 23209
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:08

Re: Inequality

Post by Mo » 21 Mar 2018, 23:15

JasonL wrote:The rule of thumb for total tax burden by states is "tack on like 8-10%" for income, property and sales taxes. So yeah, for the working poor payroll tax will be like 15.3% and total tax burden from the state could be another 8-10, though that includes state income taxes which poor people often don't have to pay, so figure maybe 3% less on average because of that. So it's like 15.3% + like 7% or so. Big error bars there.

https://wallethub.com/edu/states-with-h ... den/20494/

ETA Note if you are doing this for poor people you would also do it for rich people in any evaluation trying to compare who pays taxes.
But poor folks pay a higher percentage of their total income on sales taxes. Because the wealthy tend to both spend more on services and save more, a higher percentage is not subject to sales tax.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

User avatar
nicole
Posts: 9088
Joined: 12 Jan 2013, 16:28

Re: Inequality

Post by nicole » 30 Mar 2018, 10:59

The gentrification scare hits bachelorette parties:
When the freeways of the mid–20th century first began to take shape, they were celebrated as great connectors: a way to introduce Americans to so much more of what our vast and diverse country had to offer. Freeways, like cars, and railroads before them, helped democratize travel, but also personalized it. Cheap gas made the entire nation your potential destination. Cheap airfare has only accelerated the process: For $300, you can fly nearly anywhere in the US, then leave it behind after three days and a handful of Instagrams, a public notch on your conspicuous leisure belt.

Like so many others of my age and professional class, I’ve taken these weekend trips. I’ve posted these Instagrams. I’ve been on similar bachelorette parties. I’ve had fun and I’ve documented myself doing it, providing proof of something for both myself and others. I don’t think women claiming time for themselves is wrong; I don’t necessarily think women taking up public space is, either. But watching the bachelorettes of Nashville against the backdrop of citywide gentrification reminded me of how mindlessly I did all of it. Friction, resistance of any kind — whiteness, youth, and money removed it all. Which again begs the question: Who can have a city bend to their will, and whose will is bent or blatantly ignored in the service of others?
https://www.buzzfeed.com/annehelenpeter ... ette-party

You might think the article starts out terrible but I promise, it just keeps getting worse.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

User avatar
Andrew
Posts: 6264
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 21:52
Location: Vale of Eternal Fire

Re: Inequality

Post by Andrew » 30 Mar 2018, 11:25

Considering those two paragraphs have me ready to jump out the window, I don't think I'll click that link.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

The sun only shines when a woman is being sexually abused. - Warren

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 24859
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: Inequality

Post by Warren » 30 Mar 2018, 11:26

nicole wrote:
30 Mar 2018, 10:59
The gentrification scare hits bachelorette parties:
When the freeways of the mid–20th century first began to take shape, they were celebrated as great connectors: a way to introduce Americans to so much more of what our vast and diverse country had to offer. Freeways, like cars, and railroads before them, helped democratize travel, but also personalized it. Cheap gas made the entire nation your potential destination. Cheap airfare has only accelerated the process: For $300, you can fly nearly anywhere in the US, then leave it behind after three days and a handful of Instagrams, a public notch on your conspicuous leisure belt.

Like so many others of my age and professional class, I’ve taken these weekend trips. I’ve posted these Instagrams. I’ve been on similar bachelorette parties. I’ve had fun and I’ve documented myself doing it, providing proof of something for both myself and others. I don’t think women claiming time for themselves is wrong; I don’t necessarily think women taking up public space is, either. But watching the bachelorettes of Nashville against the backdrop of citywide gentrification reminded me of how mindlessly I did all of it. Friction, resistance of any kind — whiteness, youth, and money removed it all. Which again begs the question: Who can have a city bend to their will, and whose will is bent or blatantly ignored in the service of others?
https://www.buzzfeed.com/annehelenpeter ... ette-party

You might think the article starts out terrible but I promise, it just keeps getting worse.
This whole mentality. It's like some sort of neurological disorder. I look at these people and I think "how awful it must be to experience these thoughts", much like if they were bipolar.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
JasonL
Posts: 22770
Joined: 05 May 2010, 17:22

Re: Inequality

Post by JasonL » 30 Mar 2018, 11:35

I'm on team bachelorette ruin places onto which they descend, but it has nothing to do with gentrification. Talk to any half decent wine producer from Santa Barbara to Napa and ask them about bachelorettes. They are uniformly despised to the degree that good producers stopped taking walk ins for tastings. Like "we want our wines to be tasted by the people! oh wait, all the woo girls are the people, nvm - appointment only pls."

So I had that part at least to nod along with. I didn't understand the connection to gentrification at all.

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 24859
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: Inequality

Post by Warren » 30 Mar 2018, 11:40

I RTFA. About 500 words in, I lost the ability to take it sincerely. After that it was quite comical.
The women aren’t white supremacists. But they are very white. Same for the bachelorette parties and Draper James. “It’s all a packaged experience of how to be female: what you’re supposed to look like, what you’re supposed to act like, how to perform sexuality and hotness,” Martin told me. “It’s a cartoon of Southern white sexuality.”
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
JasonL
Posts: 22770
Joined: 05 May 2010, 17:22

Re: Inequality

Post by JasonL » 30 Mar 2018, 11:42

jfc

User avatar
nicole
Posts: 9088
Joined: 12 Jan 2013, 16:28

Re: Inequality

Post by nicole » 30 Mar 2018, 11:42

JasonL wrote:
30 Mar 2018, 11:35
I'm on team bachelorette ruin places onto which they descend, but it has nothing to do with gentrification. Talk to any half decent wine producer from Santa Barbara to Napa and ask them about bachelorettes. They are uniformly despised to the degree that good producers stopped taking walk ins for tastings. Like "we want our wines to be tasted by the people! oh wait, all the woo girls are the people, nvm - appointment only pls."

So I had that part at least to nod along with. I didn't understand the connection to gentrification at all.
I mean...do I hate the type of women who do this? Obvs. But “tourism money is actually bad” is too stupid to handle.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

User avatar
nicole
Posts: 9088
Joined: 12 Jan 2013, 16:28

Re: Inequality

Post by nicole » 30 Mar 2018, 11:43

Warren wrote:
30 Mar 2018, 11:40
I RTFA. About 500 words in, I lost the ability to take it sincerely. After that it was quite comical.
The women aren’t white supremacists. But they are very white. Same for the bachelorette parties and Draper James. “It’s all a packaged experience of how to be female: what you’re supposed to look like, what you’re supposed to act like, how to perform sexuality and hotness,” Martin told me. “It’s a cartoon of Southern white sexuality.”
This is the actual reason to hate them minus the racial/Southern stuff.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 24859
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: Inequality

Post by Warren » 30 Mar 2018, 11:44

JasonL wrote:
30 Mar 2018, 11:35
I'm on team bachelorette ruin places onto which they descend...
Too specific. This applies to all 'drunk people' generally. When they come in groups it's worse. Some places attract bachelorettes more, some frat bros more. There are many breeds of boozers, but they all suck.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
JasonL
Posts: 22770
Joined: 05 May 2010, 17:22

Re: Inequality

Post by JasonL » 30 Mar 2018, 11:49

Right. I find all this commentary, similar to HOA abuses and zoning in general, to be obscene in its entitlement. Like, what do you mean "your" community over which you need to be able to exert control so the profile is exactly to your liking? You don't get to control who buys housing. You don'g get to control the price of goods. You don't get to control where everyone lives, who their friends are, what they do on weekends - I mean, lady do you get what you are implying you should be able to control in other peoples lives so your neighborhood looks like you want it to look?

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 24859
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: Inequality

Post by Warren » 30 Mar 2018, 11:54

JasonL wrote:
30 Mar 2018, 11:49
Right. I find all this commentary, similar to HOA abuses and zoning in general, to be obscene in its entitlement. Like, what do you mean "your" community over which you need to be able to exert control so the profile is exactly to your liking? You don't get to control who buys housing. You don'g get to control the price of goods. You don't get to control where everyone lives, who their friends are, what they do on weekends - I mean, lady do you get what you are implying you should be able to control in other peoples lives so your neighborhood looks like you want it to look?
Um okay, but that goes for you too. Which means you don't get to control other people forming a HOA and making whatever rules they want.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
JasonL
Posts: 22770
Joined: 05 May 2010, 17:22

Re: Inequality

Post by JasonL » 30 Mar 2018, 12:03

I'm saying those rules making bodies are in a constant state of overreach. If I buy a house in a neighborhood and I like the neighbors and then they move, then I spend calories to form a rules making body to ensure that only people like those people buy the houses, that makes me a an entitled douche. You don't "own" your surroundings just because you can see them.

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 24859
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: Inequality

Post by Warren » 30 Mar 2018, 12:06

JasonL wrote:
30 Mar 2018, 12:03
You don't "own" your surroundings just because you can see them.
Granted. But I don't think HOA's can extend their reach beyond what they own.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
Aresen
Posts: 14732
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 20:18
Location: Great White Pacific Northwest

Re: Inequality

Post by Aresen » 30 Mar 2018, 12:24

Warren wrote:
30 Mar 2018, 11:44
JasonL wrote:
30 Mar 2018, 11:35
I'm on team bachelorette ruin places onto which they descend...
Too specific. This applies to all 'drunk people' generally. When they come in groups it's worse. Some places attract bachelorettes more, some frat bros more. There are many breeds of boozers, but they all suck.
Just ask the Catalans about the Louts English.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

User avatar
Jennifer
Posts: 22887
Joined: 28 Apr 2010, 14:03

Re: Inequality

Post by Jennifer » 30 Mar 2018, 14:14

Jesus, a "senior culture writer" wrote that? I thought it was a pretentious intern trying too hard to sound "sophisticated."
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

User avatar
Jennifer
Posts: 22887
Joined: 28 Apr 2010, 14:03

Re: Inequality

Post by Jennifer » 30 Mar 2018, 14:27

nicole wrote:
30 Mar 2018, 11:43
Warren wrote:
30 Mar 2018, 11:40
I RTFA. About 500 words in, I lost the ability to take it sincerely. After that it was quite comical.
The women aren’t white supremacists. But they are very white. Same for the bachelorette parties and Draper James. “It’s all a packaged experience of how to be female: what you’re supposed to look like, what you’re supposed to act like, how to perform sexuality and hotness,” Martin told me. “It’s a cartoon of Southern white sexuality.”
This is the actual reason to hate them minus the racial/Southern stuff.
That quote is, IMO, even worse in the context of the story:
That change, of course, has already happened: Nashville’s increasingly white, increasingly rich, increasingly polished. “I look at the transplants, and I’ve been surprised by how airbrushed and packaged they seem,” Martin said. “A few years ago, I was interviewing a white supremacist for a piece, and when he found out where I was from, he told me, ‘Oh, I love Nashville, it’s such a beautiful town.’ And I said, ‘Oh, yes, the river, and the parks, and the...’ And he cut me off, and said, ‘No, no, I mean the women.’”

The women aren’t white supremacists. But they are very white. Same for the bachelorette parties and Draper James. “It’s all a packaged experience of how to be female: what you’re supposed to look like, what you’re supposed to act like, how to perform sexuality and hotness,” Martin told me. “It’s a cartoon of Southern white sexuality.”
That's the kind of shit that turns people with no sense of proportion or knowledge of historical context into alt-right types. (I know white supremacists like to make a big deal over blue/gray eyes -- sign of white folks' uniqueness and all that -- but for fuck's sake, don't hold this against the people with blue or gray eyes! And whatever other things bother the author regarding Nashville women, the fact that white-supremacist types thin they're pretty is not something you blame the women for. JFC.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

User avatar
nicole
Posts: 9088
Joined: 12 Jan 2013, 16:28

Re: Inequality

Post by nicole » 30 Mar 2018, 15:07

I don't know why it's so hard to just be like god I hate sorority chicks.

Oh wait it's because you were one yourself (or at least someone who fucking travels for bachelorette parties.)
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 24859
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: Inequality

Post by Warren » 30 Mar 2018, 16:14

Jennifer wrote:
30 Mar 2018, 14:27
That quote is, IMO, even worse in the context of the story:
It is. But “It’s a cartoon of Southern white sexuality" stands on it's own. It just works.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
Jennifer
Posts: 22887
Joined: 28 Apr 2010, 14:03

Re: Inequality

Post by Jennifer » 30 Mar 2018, 18:53

Warren wrote:
30 Mar 2018, 16:14
Jennifer wrote:
30 Mar 2018, 14:27
That quote is, IMO, even worse in the context of the story:
It is. But “It’s a cartoon of Southern white sexuality" stands on it's own. It just works.
It's a nice insult phrase, sure, but it doesn't even "work" in the context of the story. What is the "cartoon of Southern sexuality," exactly? It's not like any of the illustrations showed women wearing hoopskirts, or any other "Southern"-associated thing.
Last edited by Jennifer on 30 Mar 2018, 18:56, edited 1 time in total.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 24859
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: Inequality

Post by Warren » 30 Mar 2018, 18:56

No, I mean it 'works' in the sense of absurdist humor. It's a hilarious turn of phrase.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
Jennifer
Posts: 22887
Joined: 28 Apr 2010, 14:03

Re: Inequality

Post by Jennifer » 30 Mar 2018, 18:57

Warren wrote:
30 Mar 2018, 18:56
No, I mean it 'works' in the sense of absurdist humor. It's a hilarious turn of phrase.
Agreed. But it does not belong in this story (which is an utter garbage pile, anyway).
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

User avatar
nicole
Posts: 9088
Joined: 12 Jan 2013, 16:28

Re: Inequality

Post by nicole » 31 Mar 2018, 08:17

Jennifer wrote:
30 Mar 2018, 18:53
Warren wrote:
30 Mar 2018, 16:14
Jennifer wrote:
30 Mar 2018, 14:27
That quote is, IMO, even worse in the context of the story:
It is. But “It’s a cartoon of Southern white sexuality" stands on it's own. It just works.
It's a nice insult phrase, sure, but it doesn't even "work" in the context of the story. What is the "cartoon of Southern sexuality," exactly? It's not like any of the illustrations showed women wearing hoopskirts, or any other "Southern"-associated thing.
The boots, the long blown-out hair, and whatever they bought from Draper James.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

User avatar
lunchstealer
Posts: 16178
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:25
Location: The Local Fluff in the Local Bubble

Re: Inequality

Post by lunchstealer » 31 Mar 2018, 13:01

nicole wrote:
Jennifer wrote:
30 Mar 2018, 18:53
Warren wrote:
30 Mar 2018, 16:14
Jennifer wrote:
30 Mar 2018, 14:27
That quote is, IMO, even worse in the context of the story:
It is. But “It’s a cartoon of Southern white sexuality" stands on it's own. It just works.
It's a nice insult phrase, sure, but it doesn't even "work" in the context of the story. What is the "cartoon of Southern sexuality," exactly? It's not like any of the illustrations showed women wearing hoopskirts, or any other "Southern"-associated thing.
The boots, the long blown-out hair, and whatever they bought from Draper James.
Also acid wash jean jackets and public intoxication.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

User avatar
Jennifer
Posts: 22887
Joined: 28 Apr 2010, 14:03

Re: Inequality

Post by Jennifer » 31 Mar 2018, 14:58

Huh. I didn't think those things (except perhaps for the Draper James clothes) were particularly "Southern."
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests