Inequality

Jennifer

Re: Inequality

Post by Jennifer » 12 Dec 2017, 12:20

lunchstealer wrote:
12 Dec 2017, 12:14
No. He’s saying that they shouldn’t say ‘you don’t see this anywhere else in the developed world’ if you do in fact see it elsewhere in the developed world.
"The developed world" was the reporter's take. The actual UN guy said "the First World."
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 12 Dec 2017, 12:24

Also untrue.

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 12 Dec 2017, 12:37

JasonL wrote:
12 Dec 2017, 12:24
Also untrue.
Extra untrue, depending on one's definition of First World.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

Shem

Post by Shem » 12 Dec 2017, 13:56

Considering Alabama's infant mortality rate is hovering right around the same level as Sri Lanka despite having something like 9 times the GDP/capita, I'm not sure this is a hill worth dying on.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 12 Dec 2017, 15:02

I don't understand the expectation that we can maintain middle class suburban living standards across a massive geographic area, especially when people insist on living in desolate and inconvenient areas. I am appalled that clean water and sanitation are at such low levels, but that could be a sign that there are limits to how much we can fund a high living standard when the cost of delivering is far more than a population can support by themselves.

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 12 Dec 2017, 15:21

We should declare war on poverty. That'll fix it right up.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 12 Dec 2017, 15:32

Comparing everyone’s shittiest zip codes to
Sri Lanka strikes me as fair. That’s not usually how these things go tho. There’s this thing where we are asked to imagine all of Spain being Barcelona

Mo

Post by Mo » 12 Dec 2017, 16:31

If Shem is correct that it's all of Alabama, that's more than a few zip codes. Spain's states are a lot smaller, but comparing Guadalajara to Sri Lanka would also be the fair comparison.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

JasonL

Inequality

Post by JasonL » 12 Dec 2017, 17:24

Overall I do not dispute that Alabama is shitty. Obviously so. The harder thing is to digest the intra country variances in standard of living - which are quite large in developed countries. Rural shitholes are shockingly not what you might expect in many countries. I’m more familiar with Appalachia than Alabama, but the way people live there would shock many coastal folk. That poverty exists, it is hard to solve for and I get a bit annoyed when some UN study acts like everyone else has solved these problems because they have more government agencies.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 12 Dec 2017, 18:12

JasonL wrote:
12 Dec 2017, 17:24
Overall I do not dispute that Alabama is shitty. Obviously so. The harder thing is to digest the intra country variances in standard of living - which are quite large in developed countries. Rural shitholes are shockingly not what you might expect in many countries. I’m more familiar with Appalachia than Alabama, but the way people live there would shock many coastal folk. That poverty exists, it is hard to solve for and I get a bit annoyed when some UN study acts like everyone else has solved these problems because they have more government agencies.
I certainly didn't get the impression that the UN was pretending "everyone else" had solved these problems; they did, however, point out some really appalling problems in our backyard.

What is the "proper" Jasonian way to mention hookworm outbreaks and open sewage pits in year-2017 America--include disclaimers a la "Hey, at least they can afford PVC pipes to carry their shit to the open sewage pits; in poorer countries, they wouldn't even have that much"?
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 12 Dec 2017, 18:47

Such situations being 'rare' in the developed world rather than 'unique'. If it happens in non-Soviet Europe, Canada, Japan, Australia/New Zealand, or at this point in South Korea, it's not unique to America.

Hookworm, tho.

However, that could be associated with some hippy-dippy new-ager using hookworms to 'treat' allergies - that's a thing - which then get loose in some place with shitty sanitation/hygiene situations. In such a case it'd be kind of like recent measles outbreaks. But could just be horribly shitty living conditions.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"Repeated headdesk is dangerous yo." - JasonL

Highway

Post by Highway » 12 Dec 2017, 18:57

I don't doubt that there are communities like that even in the US. I also don't disagree with the idea that it totally sucks and it would be good if that didn't happen. But there also just isn't much opportunity available for dealing with individuals that poor. The usual mechanisms for correcting those things tend to not apply: They aren't applying for building permits or moving into houses that codes require septic and proven wells. Do you kick them out of their house? Forcibly move them to a town? Gift them a septic system (then there's a maintenance question)? Require at least an outhouse? There are troubles with all those remedies, and unless you just say "this is money we're going to spend" then you're kinda stuck.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 12 Dec 2017, 19:14

I’d be fine with “the persistence of regional poverty in developed countries may surprise some Here is what it looks like in several places - Alabama, rural Spain and Italy, France, the UK etc. Here are factors in each place including government efforts.”

Warren

Post by Warren » 12 Dec 2017, 19:15

And I'm saying you have to look far and wide to find people in the lower 48 living in their own shit. It's not hard to find seriously impoverished, especially amongst the rural poor. I've just never seen rural poor people living next to an open sewer. Indeed, living in filth is something I associate more with urban poverty of a bygone time.
This recent PBS Frontline is more what I think poverty in the US looks like.
https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/film/poor-kids/
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 12 Dec 2017, 19:18

I found that claim questionable myself, but I don’t know what they saw. It is not a pervasive feature of the rural south or even Appalachia

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 13 Dec 2017, 12:43

It's not easy, and not trivial, to keep civilization from returning to howling darkness. Success is not an accident, and it's fragile. I don't think that it's helpful to say, "Well, you did a good job *here*, so it must be negligence that you haven't done a good job everywhere!".

Consider this : Why do a certain strain of people fill their yards with junk and garbage?

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 13 Dec 2017, 13:33

lunchstealer wrote:
12 Dec 2017, 18:47
Such situations being 'rare' in the developed world rather than 'unique'. If it happens in non-Soviet Europe, Canada, Japan, Australia/New Zealand, or at this point in South Korea, it's not unique to America.

Hookworm, tho.

However, that could be associated with some hippy-dippy new-ager using hookworms to 'treat' allergies - that's a thing - which then get loose in some place with shitty sanitation/hygiene situations. In such a case it'd be kind of like recent measles outbreaks. But could just be horribly shitty living conditions.
Not to resort to stereotypes, but: I highly doubt majority-black super-poor regions of rural Alabama have many residents of the hippy-dippy New Age variety.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 13 Dec 2017, 13:46

The Newsweek article I linked to and quoted from links to a more detailed article in the Guardian; nearly one out of three people in Lowndes County, Alabama, have hookworm. JFC.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/ ... rapporteur
The UN poverty tour falls at a singularly tense moment for the US. In its 2016 state of the nation review, the Stanford Center on Poverty and Inequality placed the US rank at the bottom of the league table of 10 well-off countries, in terms of the extent of its income and wealth inequality.

It also found that the US hit rock bottom in terms of the safety net it offers struggling families, and is one of the worst offenders in terms of the ability of low-income families to lift themselves out of poverty – a stark contrast to the much-vaunted myth of the American dream.

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis » 13 Dec 2017, 14:03

Warren wrote:
12 Dec 2017, 19:15
And I'm saying you have to look far and wide to find people in the lower 48 living in their own shit. It's not hard to find seriously impoverished, especially amongst the rural poor. I've just never seen rural poor people living next to an open sewer. Indeed, living in filth is something I associate more with urban poverty of a bygone time.
Latest numbers are 569 cases with 20 deaths.
california-hepatitis-02-ap-jc-171016_4x3_992.jpg
california-hepatitis-02-ap-jc-171016_4x3_992.jpg (71.84 KiB) Viewed 299 times
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 13 Dec 2017, 14:48

People still die from influenza. What is this, the 1920's?

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 15 Dec 2017, 16:59

Why Has Regional Income Convergence in the U.S. Declined?
The past thirty years have seen a dramatic decline in the rate of income convergence across states and in population flows to wealthy places. These changes coincide with (1) an increase in housing prices in productive areas, (2) a divergence in the skill-specific returns to living in those places, and (3) a redirection of unskilled migration away from productive places. We develop a model in which rising housing prices in wealthy areas deter unskilled migration and slow income convergence. Using a new panel measure of housing supply regulations, we demonstrate the importance of this channel in the data. Income convergence continues in less-regulated places, while it has mostly stopped in places with more regulation.
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 15 Dec 2017, 17:02

It’s all houses. It’s people and their fucking houses.

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 15 Dec 2017, 17:22

JasonL wrote:
15 Dec 2017, 17:02
Yup. We're seeing the same thing play out in NZ. An entire economy massively distorted by pandering to home owners, and short-sighted approaches to urban growth.

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 15 Dec 2017, 17:30

dbcooper wrote:
15 Dec 2017, 17:22
JasonL wrote:
15 Dec 2017, 17:02
Yup. We're seeing the same thing play out in NZ. An entire economy massively distorted by pandering to home owners, and short-sighted approaches to urban growth.
And BTW, our central bank issues a warning about this every six months, and I think I'm the only person in the country who reads it.

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 15 Dec 2017, 20:13

Jennifer wrote:
11 Dec 2017, 16:39
Warren wrote:
11 Dec 2017, 16:37
Jennifer wrote:
11 Dec 2017, 16:26
Eh, people in a first-world country in 2017 having open sewage pits in their neighborhoods (close to the drinking water supply, no less), sounds like poverty no matter what the median income is. And hookworm outbreaks? Jesus.
That's no where near commonplace though. I traveled all over the state of AL back in Y2K and never saw anything like that.
Presumably you didn't travel through the same parts of the state the UN did.

For that matter, I don't recall the UN saying this was "commonplace," merely that it exists, and for more than one lone and spectacularly unlucky individual.
I know I'm late to the party but poverty at a state level != shittiest parts.
Alaska is in the top 5 per capita GDP but honey buckets are still a thing here.
"I want to live in a world where the Democrats are competent enough to secretly have millions of illegal aliens vote, but dumb enough to concentrate them in California and New York."=--Mo