Waco II: Electric Boogaloo

Mo

Waco II: Electric Boogaloo

Post by Mo » 11 Apr 2014, 20:49

Boy, this Bundy situation in Nevada makes no one look good. The Feds seem to be going by their typical "Even when we're right, we're going to handle it the wrong way" book.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Aresen

Re: Waco II: Electric Boogaloo

Post by Aresen » 11 Apr 2014, 21:00

That was about my take.

The rancher lost his court case, but is insisting on his right to use the land for free. The Feds are resting on their AUTHORITY. The county mounties are playing bigshots. And the usual gang of crazies is coming to do their craziness.

Only the turtles are minding their own business. (They seemed to be doing fine before the feds got involved.)

If it weren't for the turtles, I'd say nuke it from orbit.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Mo

Post by Mo » 11 Apr 2014, 21:03

his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

GinSlinger

Post by GinSlinger » 11 Apr 2014, 22:53

Are the Feds right?

I have no idea how a BLM lease works so I really don't know. But, if I was enjoying rent free use of property for fifty years, and then the owner wanted to charge me a fee, I don't think he'd win the case. This is why those long leases in common law require cursory rent payments (like a peppercorn) payable on demand.

But I don't have a clue what a BLM lease looks like.

Mo

Post by Mo » 11 Apr 2014, 23:01

He was paying before 1993, the BLM modified the grazing terms for the turtles and then he stopped paying.

GinSlinger

Post by GinSlinger » 11 Apr 2014, 23:07

Ah. Not what I'd seen, but I haven't paid careful attention. Thanks for setting me straight.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 11 Apr 2014, 23:28

As much as I find the BLM's monopoly on Western lands retarded, I've yet to see anything that strongly suggests anything but fuck you Cliven, you're a goddamned rube who doesn't fucking understand the Constitution, also, your granddad got in bed with the Feds to take land from the Utes so fuck you hard with a spiked dick.

The one thing that may turn me back to Cliven's side is the possibility that this whole thing is an excuse to sell high-dollar mining leases for more Federal dollars. But even then, fuck it, Clem, you fucking rube, go back to 1993 and keep paying the goddamned BLM fees to show good faith for the courts because otherwise they're going to bend you over and fuck you with a spiked dick, you goddamned rube.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 11 Apr 2014, 23:33

There is the tiniest bit of evidence that the whole thing motivated by mining interests - although the details that don't come from interested Cliven-related parties are sketchy at best. Anyway, if they took his land for ESA purposes and handed it over for stripmining, he'd have a pretty good bad-faith claim of some sort against the BLM, I'd think.

Otherwise, if it's just I'm-a-big-dicked-Nevada-rancher bullshit, fuck you hard with a spiked dick.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 12 Apr 2014, 10:16

lunchstealer wrote:As much as I find the BLM's monopoly on Western lands retarded, I've yet to see anything that strongly suggests anything but fuck you Cliven, you're a goddamned rube who doesn't fucking understand the Constitution, also, your granddad got in bed with the Feds to take land from the Utes so fuck you hard with a spiked dick.

The one thing that may turn me back to Cliven's side is the possibility that this whole thing is an excuse to sell high-dollar mining leases for more Federal dollars. But even then, fuck it, Clem, you fucking rube, go back to 1993 and keep paying the goddamned BLM fees to show good faith for the courts because otherwise they're going to bend you over and fuck you with a spiked dick, you goddamned rube.
Lots if land was "taken" by lots of our grandparents, I don't know why we should start holding that against people *now*.

Timothy

Post by Timothy » 12 Apr 2014, 10:30

Why the fuck do we ranch in Nevada? Nevada is a barren wasteland. OH WAIT! The feds build a giant fucking dam in the 30s that allows you to actually get water for your fucking cows, Clive. The only reason you can even have a fucking farm is indirect federal subsidy. 20 years ago you stopped paying for the right to have your cows graze on land that isn't yours, and now you're butthurt that they're trying to force you to stop doing something you don't have the right to do? Go fuck yourself.
"i say make some popcorn and give me a blanket to hide this six foot boner i have." --dhex

"The difference between Hodor! and Jeb! is that at the end of the day, one of them gets to stop pretending he's retarded." -- Jasper

Ayn_Randian

Post by Ayn_Randian » 12 Apr 2014, 10:54

And they say libertarians are for the little guy.
It has the effect of making me want desperately to do the opposite of what Green Day is suggesting I should want to do. Billy Joe Whassname may have created a generation of war mongers. - Jason L

Warren

Post by Warren » 12 Apr 2014, 11:02

Ayn_Randian wrote:And they say libertarians are for the little guy.
We need better poster people
Fuck DST sideways with a splintery fence post. - JD

GinSlinger

Post by GinSlinger » 12 Apr 2014, 11:26

Timothy wrote:20 years ago you stopped paying for the right to have your cows graze on land that isn't yours, and now you're butthurt that they're trying to force you to stop doing something you don't have the right to do? Go fuck yourself.
Twenty years is the term for Federal adverse possession, a key component of which is that one has been paying state taxes on the land (which I believe is being claimed). I believe any adverse possession claim is capped at 160 acres, but still . . . has it been twenty years, and has the family paid state taxes?

Why did the Feds let him go without paying for so long, and why the interest just now?

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 12 Apr 2014, 16:45

GinSlinger wrote:
Timothy wrote:20 years ago you stopped paying for the right to have your cows graze on land that isn't yours, and now you're butthurt that they're trying to force you to stop doing something you don't have the right to do? Go fuck yourself.
Twenty years is the term for Federal adverse possession, a key component of which is that one has been paying state taxes on the land (which I believe is being claimed). I believe any adverse possession claim is capped at 160 acres, but still . . . has it been twenty years, and has the family paid state taxes?
No, here it would have to be 20 years, under color of title, with improvements, and he'd still have to buy the land. I doubt there have been any improvements to speak of.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/43/1068
http://www.blm.gov/pgdata/etc/medialib/ ... 0Sheet.pdf
Why did the Feds let him go without paying for so long, and why the interest just now?
They missed it. Someone caught it.

GinSlinger

Post by GinSlinger » 12 Apr 2014, 17:02

Doesn't paying land taxes count as color of title? And I would assume the threshold for improvements on ranch land would be low (by homestead standards). And simply missing 20 years of lease payments is, in my mind, a very good argument for abolishing the BLM.

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 12 Apr 2014, 17:15

GinSlinger wrote:Doesn't paying land taxes count as color of title? And I would assume the threshold for improvements on ranch land would be low (by homestead standards).
Per the statute, the taxes don't appear to be necessary. And I doubt that ranching improvements would count as either "valuable" or as "cultivation." But I don't know. And all he gets is the right to buy the land at a price the BLM sets. It isn't straight adverse possession.
And simply missing 20 years of lease payments is, in my mind, a very good argument for abolishing the BLM.
Alternatively, the could receive more funding through taxes or have higher fees so they'd have the resources to manage the land under its control.

GinSlinger

Post by GinSlinger » 12 Apr 2014, 17:35

Fin Fang Foom wrote:
Alternatively, the could receive more funding through taxes or have higher fees so they'd have the resources to manage the land under its control.
With revenues of $5B and a budget of $1B, I don't think either of those are necessary. Now, allowing the BLM to retain more of its revenues may mean taxes would have to be raised to pay for something else, but . . . .
http://www.blm.gov/wo/st/en/info/About_BLM.html

Mo

Post by Mo » 12 Apr 2014, 17:44

GinSlinger wrote:

Wouldn't a federal suit in 1998 reset the clock?

Timothy

Post by Timothy » 12 Apr 2014, 18:04

What the feds are now doing to this guy is fucking crazy, don't get me wrong. I mean, armed tanks and a no-fly-zone over some unpaid taxes? News is now the feds are backing off, which is good. I mean, seems like "seize his assets and call it a day" would've been a better solution than a disproportionate show of force. I'm also not so convinced that Clive is "the little guy", and his entire life wouldn't be possible without rather massive subsidy in the first place, so forgive me if I'm devoid of sympathy for some lunatic.
"i say make some popcorn and give me a blanket to hide this six foot boner i have." --dhex

"The difference between Hodor! and Jeb! is that at the end of the day, one of them gets to stop pretending he's retarded." -- Jasper

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 12 Apr 2014, 18:07

Timothy wrote:What the feds are now doing to this guy is fucking crazy, don't get me wrong. I mean, armed tanks and a no-fly-zone over some unpaid taxes? News is now the feds are backing off, which is good. I mean, seems like "seize his assets and call it a day" would've been a better solution than a disproportionate show of force. I'm also not so convinced that Clive is "the little guy", and his entire life wouldn't be possible without rather massive subsidy in the first place, so forgive me if I'm devoid of sympathy for some lunatic.
Yeah, I'd go with the freeze his assets and bust him when he comes into town route.

GinSlinger

Post by GinSlinger » 12 Apr 2014, 18:15

Mo wrote: Wouldn't a federal suit in 1998 reset the clock?
Under old timey common law, like pre-Revolution which is what I have a smidge of learnin' about, a writ of eviction would be needed.

But, I finally got the .pdf FFF linked to open and see that to adversely possess BLM land, by statute, one must be unknowingly on said land. This is a different color of title than I was using, and makes it impossible that this could be adverse possession (statutorily).

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 12 Apr 2014, 21:12

Common law adverse possession required open, continuous, exclusive, adverse and notorious (I think "notorious" is simply there to make the acronym OCEAN work) possession for (usually) twenty years; but common law is really only a state thing in the U.S., not a federal thing (Erie Railroad Co. v. Tompkins, 304 U.S. 64 (1938)), and statutory equivalents are, well, whatever the damned statute, be it state or federal, may require.

If anything, though I say this purely ex rectum, the idea of adversely possessing real property against the sovereign is, well, weird.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 12 Apr 2014, 22:19

Timothy wrote:Why the fuck do we ranch in Nevada? Nevada is a barren wasteland.
Yeah, I don't get people who would want to live and work in a desert.
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 12 Apr 2014, 22:22

I like the desert, but it isn't conducive to agriculture.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 12 Apr 2014, 22:31

the innominate one wrote:I like the desert, but it isn't conducive to agriculture.
I farm 20,000 head of veal out here in the desert.
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem