You think Ukraine is joke?

Warren

Re: You think Ukraine is joke?

Post by Warren » 29 Jun 2015, 01:02

thoreau wrote:
Aresen wrote:
thoreau wrote:
Aresen wrote:though it is possible that Putin could decide to take Kiev and the US would commit troops to defending the Ukranian capital.
In this generation I do not see US policymakers deciding to defend Kiev with people wearing US military uniforms or other US military markers. Ukrainian leaders, from both sides, have failed to comport themselves as leaders that the US should be willing to risk an escalation over.

A generation from now, much water could go under many bridges and I will hazard no forecasts, but for the next 20 years I do not see the US putting uniformed troops in Ukraine to openly fight Russian troops.
I would not make a call either way on that. I don't think it is terribly likely, but if a POTUS were to feel the need to 'show he/she was tough', it is possible. Very stupid, but possible.
I agree that if US troops were, for whatever reason, already in Ukraine when shit went down, Americans do tend to get war-boners that require medical attention. However, I think that is the very reason why US troops would never be openly stationed there in the first place.
The last Commander In Chief we had, I think just used the military to compensate for his tiny penis.
This guy? He lives in Every Girl Gets a Pony land, and absolutely no dose of reality can shake him out of it. I have no clue what he might do, and there's precious little I'd put past him.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

thoreau
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by thoreau » 24 Oct 2015, 23:17

"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

Fin Fang Foom
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 26 Oct 2015, 09:32

Darth Vader supporter Chewbacca arrested in Ukraine

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/3 ... in-ukraine

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 26 Oct 2015, 14:10

Fin Fang Foom wrote:Darth Vader supporter Chewbacca arrested in Ukraine

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/3 ... in-ukraine
File this under "News that could have been in the Onion."
"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 26 Oct 2015, 16:02

They're going to miss the good ol days of revanchist Russians when Disney lawyers start getting up in Ukraine's grill.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 26 Nov 2018, 21:02

Putin should expand his media diet beyond Sputnik and RT so he can learn that American force projection is the ultimate deterrent against regional imperial aggression. Sleep tight Ukrainia, secure in the knowledge that the reigning global superpower and anti-Russia treaty alliance have your back every bit as much as they did during that Crimea thing a few years ago.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

Shem

Post by Shem » 27 Nov 2018, 02:58

You mean the treaty alliance they're not a party to?
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 27 Nov 2018, 11:21

Shem wrote:
27 Nov 2018, 02:58
You mean the treaty alliance they're not a party to?
Tbf, neither were Kosovo nor Libya.

eta - to also be fair, I'm sorta surprised Russia hasn't been more agressive over the past year. Either they are already getting everything they want, or they are genuinely worried about a counter (i.e. anti-Russian) insurgency in Ukraine and/or other parts of their near abroad.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 27 Nov 2018, 15:19

I wonder about ability to fund adventures of the sort that require deployments and the like.

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 27 Nov 2018, 15:40

I also imagine Vlad doesn't want another Chechnya. The chunk he shaved off of the Ukraine had a large ethnic Russian population. The rest of the Ukraine not so much. It would likely be more trouble than it's worth. I think Putin is currently content with just having a buffer zone between him and NATO as he sees their expansion as a direct threat.

Shem

Post by Shem » 27 Nov 2018, 22:43

One thing's for sure; nobody is ever giving up their nukes again.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 28 Nov 2018, 00:53

Shem wrote:
27 Nov 2018, 22:43
One thing's for sure; nobody is ever giving up their nukes again.
After Gaddafi and now the Ukraine, I'd agree, though both Libya and the Ukraine were no match for their enemies.

Iran is another matter. Whether they have nukes or not, anyone who sticks their hand in there is going to be badly burned.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 16 Dec 2018, 16:45

Well this isn't good.
“The Russian military is now preparing its forces for direct military involvement,” the ISW said. “The Kremlin is reinforcing ground, naval, and air elements in its Southern Military District – the command likely responsible for managing its ongoing war in Ukraine. Moscow may calculate that the international community will not meaningfully respond if the visibility of its role in the war now increases.”

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 19 Apr 2019, 12:38

Comedian Zelenskiy is almost certain to win the Ukrainian presidential election on Sunday.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-ukra ... SKCN1RU0UW

Ivo Shandor was right.
--Mo

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 21 Apr 2019, 19:56

And he won.

Fuck it. Trade wars are good and easy to win. Everyone needs a STEM degree. We have a PhD shortage. Climate change is a Chinese hoax. Whatever. Nothing matters.
--Mo

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 11 Aug 2019, 15:27

--Mo

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 10 Dec 2019, 18:40

Ukraine has to feel like the abused ex now. They have to.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex