Beware the Ides of April

JD

Re: Beware the Ides of April

Post by JD » 22 Apr 2017, 07:43

"They don't care as long as you don't owe" was always how I figured it. On the other hand, they don't precisely know if you owe unless you file, so there's that. On the third hand, I always figured that what with people dying, leaving the country, working off the books, etc. the IRS probably only has the vaguest idea of who's actually supposed to file anyway.

Mo

Post by Mo » 06 Oct 2017, 09:25

Looks like the IRS didn't target Tea Party groups, just political advocacy groups overall.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 06 Oct 2017, 11:25

Mo wrote:
06 Oct 2017, 09:25
Looks like the IRS didn't target Tea Party groups, just political advocacy groups overall.
Mother Jones? Color me skeptical of their skepticism.
Women with strollers are legitimately the worst people, and should, like motorcyclists, not be considered people for liability and criminal purposes. - lunchstealer

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 06 Oct 2017, 12:48

Mo wrote:
"And that's perfectly fine because there was no overall partisanism!" Because that's the only detail that matters about the pattern of extra scrutiny of organizations with political keywords in their names: that, years later, it didn't turn out to be focused just on one group.

Oh, MoJo, you brainless aggregation...
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Mo

Post by Mo » 06 Oct 2017, 14:58

Eric the .5b wrote:
06 Oct 2017, 12:48
Mo wrote:
"And that's perfectly fine because there was no overall partisanism!" Because that's the only detail that matters about the pattern of extra scrutiny of organizations with political keywords in their names: that, years later, it didn't turn out to be focused just on one group.

Oh, MoJo, you brainless aggregation...
I don't have an issue at looking at political organizations at a whole for greater scrutiny because there's a fine line between a 501c tax exempt political group and a non-tax exempt political group. Especially because at the time a lot of the 501cs were creating offshoot PACs. The line is a lot thicker for charities or religious organizations. I would have an issue if the targeting was based on the specific politics of the organizations.
Warren wrote:
06 Oct 2017, 11:25
Mo wrote:
Mother Jones? Color me skeptical of their skepticism.
Kevin Drum is literally just reporting the Inspector General's report.There's no additional research there.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

Warren

Post by Warren » 06 Oct 2017, 15:13

Mo wrote:
06 Oct 2017, 14:58
Kevin Drum is literally just reporting the Inspector General's report.There's no additional research there.
Well there's this
Four years later, we know even more about the “Big Three” scandals. It turns out there was never the slightest scandal associated with Benghazi. There was no IRS scandal. And Obama’s prosecution of leaks may have been unwise policy, but there was never anything remotely corrupt about it.

Oh, and Hillary Clinton’s emails? The more we found out about that, the less there was. Ditto for the Clinton Foundation. And her health. Hillary Clinton had her own Big Three scandals, and they turned out to be just as baseless as Obama’s. Imagine that.
I mean... yeah.
Women with strollers are legitimately the worst people, and should, like motorcyclists, not be considered people for liability and criminal purposes. - lunchstealer

Mo

Post by Mo » 06 Oct 2017, 15:15

Warren wrote:
06 Oct 2017, 15:13
Mo wrote:
06 Oct 2017, 14:58
Well there's this
Four years later, we know even more about the “Big Three” scandals. It turns out there was never the slightest scandal associated with Benghazi. There was no IRS scandal. And Obama’s prosecution of leaks may have been unwise policy, but there was never anything remotely corrupt about it.

Oh, and Hillary Clinton’s emails? The more we found out about that, the less there was. Ditto for the Clinton Foundation. And her health. Hillary Clinton had her own Big Three scandals, and they turned out to be just as baseless as Obama’s. Imagine that.
I mean... yeah.
Which is unrelated to my initial point about the IRS targeting. I didn't sign on for the Hillary email editorializing.

Warren

Post by Warren » 06 Oct 2017, 16:48

Mo wrote:
06 Oct 2017, 15:15
Which is unrelated to my initial point about the IRS targeting. I didn't sign on for the Hillary email editorializing.
Yeah well, I can't take his reporting of the IRS targeting investigation seriously. Because no, it isn't "literally just reporting the IG's report" It's summarizing and heavily editorializing the report. And it's pretty clear to me that if the report concluded the IRS had targeted conservative groups at the direction of the Obama Administration, Mr. Drum wouldn't change a word.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 06 Oct 2017, 16:53

I find it rather significant that the IRS IG released such a report under the Trump Administration. If an IG under the Obama Administration released a report exonnerating the agency's actions under the same Administration, well, yeah. If an IG releases a report exonnerating the agency for things done under a previous President, and from the opposite party, there's a bit of credibility built in.
"The first rule of Grylliade club is 'Why are we talking about Grylliade club?'"
--Jake

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 06 Oct 2017, 16:58

Makes sense. Although the IG should be somewhat shielded from political retribution, there could be incentives in play we're not privy to.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 06 Oct 2017, 17:10

thoreau wrote:
06 Oct 2017, 16:53
I find it rather significant that the IRS IG released such a report under the Trump Administration. If an IG under the Obama Administration released a report exonnerating the agency's actions under the same Administration, well, yeah. If an IG releases a report exonnerating the agency for things done under a previous President, and from the opposite party, there's a bit of credibility built in.
Under Trump, the EPA IG also released a report absolving themselves of any wrongdoing in the Gold King Mine disaster. Color me unimpressed that a government agency is declaring itself innocent regardless of who is President.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

holy shit there will never be an end until the sweet release of death (as dictated by the death panels, natch) - lunch

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 06 Oct 2017, 20:27

Andrew wrote:
06 Oct 2017, 17:10
thoreau wrote:
06 Oct 2017, 16:53
Under Trump, the EPA IG also released a report absolving themselves of any wrongdoing in the Gold King Mine disaster. Color me unimpressed that a government agency is declaring itself innocent regardless of who is President.
Procedures were followed.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"Repeated headdesk is dangerous yo." - JasonL