Beware the Ides of April

Ellie

Re: Beware the Ides of April

Post by Ellie » 09 Mar 2016, 13:36

The addition of the twins boosted our refund just enough to cover the medical bills from the addition of the twins. Hashtag breaking even! *high five*

In gripe-ier news, I actually never filed our 2013 state income taxes (left it to the last minute and then I'd just had a baby, couldn't get to the post office, figured it wasn't a big deal because we were getting a $34 refund, yadda yadda yadda). Well, looks like I did it wrong the first time and we actually owed a couple hundred, so we're pretty much going to get this year's refund and send it right back to them.
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

Warren

Post by Warren » 09 Mar 2016, 20:35

FUCK THE IRS
Women with strollers are legitimately the worst people, and should, like motorcyclists, not be considered people for liability and criminal purposes. - lunchstealer

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 09 Mar 2016, 20:38

And the state equivalent, where applicable.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

Rachel

Post by Rachel » 10 Mar 2016, 23:52

I got a tiny, tiny government supplement for the Obamacare plan that I basically had to sign up for because my work insurance wasn't covering any mental health things. But now getting the proper form I need (a 1095A) is proving to be a ridiculous suck time. The government could seriously just have my $86 - I would pay $100 to not have to deal with this bureaucracy.
No lie I'm fucking tired of glorified false histories-JasonL

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 19 Mar 2016, 21:45

I appear to have completed & submitted my tax return for 2015. Now I just need to find my hard copy printouts fir the three preceding years and send them in.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 20 Mar 2016, 01:32

Rachel wrote:I got a tiny, tiny government supplement for the Obamacare plan that I basically had to sign up for because my work insurance wasn't covering any mental health things. But now getting the proper form I need (a 1095A) is proving to be a ridiculous suck time. The government could seriously just have my $86 - I would pay $100 to not have to deal with this bureaucracy.
Sing it sister!
Women with strollers are legitimately the worst people, and should, like motorcyclists, not be considered people for liability and criminal purposes. - lunchstealer

Rachel

Post by Rachel » 20 Mar 2016, 10:51

Warren wrote:
Rachel wrote:I got a tiny, tiny government supplement for the Obamacare plan that I basically had to sign up for because my work insurance wasn't covering any mental health things. But now getting the proper form I need (a 1095A) is proving to be a ridiculous suck time. The government could seriously just have my $86 - I would pay $100 to not have to deal with this bureaucracy.
Sing it sister!
The update on this is that the brilliant Obamacare marketplace system did not generate a Form 1095A for my account. I said to the rep: "Okay, well can you generate one, and send me one?" And they said, no, we have to open an investigation about why the system didn't generate one, and the investigation can take 30-60 days. Then, after the investigation is complete, we will determine if we can generate a Form 1095A for you.

This is why the government is wonderful and everyone should support it and think it is great.

Warren

Post by Warren » 20 Mar 2016, 10:53

You know what? I'm not even going to file a return this year.

Rachel

Post by Rachel » 20 Mar 2016, 11:02

Warren wrote:You know what? I'm not even going to file a return this year.
Why, did my tale inspire you?

Warren

Post by Warren » 20 Mar 2016, 11:18

Rachel wrote:
Warren wrote:You know what? I'm not even going to file a return this year.
Why, did my tale inspire you?
Of course.

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 12 Apr 2016, 18:50

Downloaded a copy of the instructions for the 1040EZ for my younger son. Once again, that's for the 1040EZ.

EZ!!!!!!!!!

The instructions are 44 pages long.

pistoffnick

Post by pistoffnick » 15 Apr 2016, 14:04

Always be suspicious of people who have, or crave, power. - Stanley Kubrick
"Every decent man is ashamed of the government he lives under." - H.L. Mencken
"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants." - Albert Camus

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 15 Apr 2016, 14:14

We filed a few weeks ago. Man, I just don't get people who do that and want to pay more taxes. It's a horrifying number yet to the rest of the world it's half what it should be. There is no hope.

pistoffnick

Post by pistoffnick » 15 Apr 2016, 14:21

There is nothing stopping them from writing a bigger check.

No it's not that they want to pay higher taxes. They want to stick it to all the rich bastards (defined as anyone richer than them).
Always be suspicious of people who have, or crave, power. - Stanley Kubrick
"Every decent man is ashamed of the government he lives under." - H.L. Mencken
"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants." - Albert Camus

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 15 Apr 2016, 14:39

Some of them, a minority I grant, legitimately want more government services and higher taxes even on themselves. Why wouldn't we all pay more for universal this and that, etc.

Most are more like what you describe tho.

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 15 Apr 2016, 14:41

JasonL wrote:Some of them, a minority I grant, legitimately want more government services and higher taxes even on themselves. Why wouldn't we all pay more for universal this and that, etc.
And furthermore are convinced that only the government can provide those services.

Warren

Post by Warren » 15 Apr 2016, 14:43

pistoffnick wrote:Image
QFMFT

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 15 Apr 2016, 14:55

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
JasonL wrote:Some of them, a minority I grant, legitimately want more government services and higher taxes even on themselves. Why wouldn't we all pay more for universal this and that, etc.
And furthermore are convinced that only the government can provide those services.
I honestly think its an aesthetic thing. Government program = Society that Cares. No Government Program = Greedy, regardless of what services get delivered at what cost and to whom.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 15 Apr 2016, 14:59

JasonL wrote:I honestly think its an aesthetic thing. Government program = Society that Cares. No Government Program = Greedy, regardless of what services get delivered at what cost and to whom.
YES. If you don't want government services for X, you hate X. Even if the reason you don't want the government services is because a private group was already helping X more. Nope. You just hate X. Because if you cared, you would want the government to do it. Full stop.
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 15 Apr 2016, 15:02

That's my sister. Everything that has a government program attached to it has a halo. Everything coordinated through markets is greedy people ripping each other off. You ask questions about the value you get from your private purchases and you care about costs, but you never ask that question about public programs. "It just costs what it costs."

Taktix®

Post by Taktix® » 15 Apr 2016, 15:15

Most are more like what you describe tho.
I feel like this is one of those things that people say to remain consistent with their opinions but don't really mean (like being pro-life until their precious little Sally Suburbs gets knocked up at 14). Either they don't really think (or realize) how much it will affect them or they have people that can loophole that little problem away. As you say, they're free to send the IRS all they want, so nothing is stopping them from leading by example if they truly believe it...
"who will quietly mumble for the introverts?" - dhex

"If it's a legitimate dictatorship the body politic has ways of shutting the whole thing down." - thoreau

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 15 Apr 2016, 15:42

I don't think the send extra money thing is entirely fair to the people who want new services. They know they aren't getting the trains or whatever if they just send in a check today. What is fair is they tend to assume net of new taxes they will be getting more stuff than they have now. They expect positive return for them and negative return for rich dude.

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 15 Apr 2016, 19:46

"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

JD

Post by JD » 18 Apr 2016, 14:57

Christ, but this year's taxes were a shitshow. Not in terms of raw dollars - we're theoretically getting a big healthy return - but things got really complicated. Married filing jointly, where one person owns a small business (with all of the tax and bookkeeping fun that comes with that), one person works out of state (but the small business is strictly one-state-only), one person was on Obamacare for part of the year...I will be amazed if we don't get audited in the next couple of years.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 18 Apr 2016, 15:59

I like to pretend that making taxes due on Emancipation Day was too much cognitive dissonance for someone in government, so it got moved. I know the reality is laziness.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

holy shit there will never be an end until the sweet release of death (as dictated by the death panels, natch) - lunch