Capitalism: It works, bitches

Painboy

Re: Capitalism: It works, bitches

Post by Painboy » 18 Oct 2018, 12:21

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 18 Nov 2018, 00:32

Maybe, bitches?

Wunderground just served up an ad for the Rotimatic. A breadmaker/Easybake oven for making roti right in your own home. Just USD 999 for one or two units.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 18 Nov 2018, 03:47

lunchstealer wrote:
18 Nov 2018, 00:32
Maybe, bitches?

Wunderground just served up an ad for the Rotimatic. A breadmaker/Easybake oven for making roti right in your own home. Just USD 999 for one or two units.
I'm seeing reviews suggesting it's overpriced. I've never made roti, though.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Warren

Post by Warren » 18 Nov 2018, 14:34

Eric the .5b wrote:
18 Nov 2018, 03:47
lunchstealer wrote:
18 Nov 2018, 00:32
Maybe, bitches?

I'm seeing reviews suggesting it's overpriced. I've never made roti, though.
As far as I can recall, I've never even eaten roti. It's definitely overpriced insofar as given a choice between a thousand bucks and going to my grave having never experienced the unique joy of roti, I'd be happier with the g.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 19 Nov 2018, 00:50

At most restaurants it's just a slight variation on naan. Have been to one place where it was really quite different and very good but it was in the '90s in South Carolina, so I haven't been there in 20 years and it's gone now and it could've been something other than roti.

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 18 Dec 2018, 16:58

Seen at a Kroger in Houston:
PegaweinercornWithTrex.jpg
PegaweinercornWithTrex.jpg (113.32 KiB) Viewed 231 times

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 08 Jan 2019, 13:23

I called Geico to suspend/cancel my car insurance because car is not on road (again. sigh.).

The CS agent lady asked how long I haven't been driving, I said since November, and she backdated the policy to give me a refund for the last month or two that I haven't been using the car.

I was pleasantly surprised to say the least.

Warren

Post by Warren » 08 Jan 2019, 14:46

I've also had good experience with Geico.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 08 Jan 2019, 15:25

Warren wrote:
08 Jan 2019, 14:46
GEICO pissed me off years ago when I was in the Army. I had an utterly clean driving record and called them up. "Sorry, we don't insure E4s." Well okay, then, fuck you too. Maybe you should put that in the ads you run all over post.
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

Warren

Post by Warren » 08 Jan 2019, 16:28

tr0g wrote:
08 Jan 2019, 15:25
Warren wrote:
GEICO pissed me off years ago when I was in the Army. I had an utterly clean driving record and called them up. "Sorry, we don't insure E4s." Well okay, then, fuck you too. Maybe you should put that in the ads you run all over post.
That's really surprising. I can't believe that they had a company policy to not insure E4s. When I was in the military, businesses crawled all over themselves to sell insurance, sell on lay-away, finance a car, any kind of commitment to get a check every month, to us. Most of them especially went after E3 and below because they couldn't do the math how shitty a deal $20/month for 18 months is on a $200 stereo. And they could always get their money. They seldom had to go to court, they just complained to the command.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 08 Jan 2019, 17:27

Maybe they thought an E4 was a missile or something.

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 08 Jan 2019, 18:13

AT 4, maybe?
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 08 Jan 2019, 19:12

Warren wrote:
08 Jan 2019, 16:28
tr0g wrote:
Warren wrote:
That's really surprising. I can't believe that they had a company policy to not insure E4s. When I was in the military, businesses crawled all over themselves to sell insurance, sell on lay-away, finance a car, any kind of commitment to get a check every month, to us. Most of them especially went after E3 and below because they couldn't do the math how shitty a deal $20/month for 18 months is on a $200 stereo. And they could always get their money. They seldom had to go to court, they just complained to the command.
One of my least favorite days as an NCO was taking some jackass PFC all around town the day after payday so he could pay cash to all the businesses he bounced checks to. He wasn't even my PFC, but his boss was on leave and I was the junior NCO, so I got tagged with his dumb ass. Of course, I did get the story of the 85 dollar pizza out of it, so it wasn't a complete loss.

The 85 dollar pizza was a 5 dollar pepperoni, which he wrote a hot check for. When it bounced, the pizza place and the bank both charged him 20 dollars. Then the pizza place submitted it again, and it bounced again. So the bank and the pizza place both hit him for an additional 20 bucks. At this point, pizza place complained to command and he got to go pay them $45 in cash. But all in, that pizza cost him 85 bucks. I have yet to see or taste the pizza worth $85, and it sure as shit never came from Pizza Pros.
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 08 Jan 2019, 20:08

tr0g wrote:
08 Jan 2019, 19:12
Warren wrote:
08 Jan 2019, 16:28
tr0g wrote:
Warren wrote:
One of my least favorite days as an NCO was taking some jackass PFC all around town the day after payday so he could pay cash to all the businesses he bounced checks to. He wasn't even my PFC, but his boss was on leave and I was the junior NCO, so I got tagged with his dumb ass. Of course, I did get the story of the 85 dollar pizza out of it, so it wasn't a complete loss.

The 85 dollar pizza was a 5 dollar pepperoni, which he wrote a hot check for. When it bounced, the pizza place and the bank both charged him 20 dollars. Then the pizza place submitted it again, and it bounced again. So the bank and the pizza place both hit him for an additional 20 bucks. At this point, pizza place complained to command and he got to go pay them $45 in cash. But all in, that pizza cost him 85 bucks. I have yet to see or taste the pizza worth $85, and it sure as shit never came from Pizza Pros.
Ah army bounced check stories. Always fun. We had a guy that wrote something close to a $1000 dollars in bad checks for cash to AAFES (the on post military store). Repercussion was near instant. When asked why he did it he said he didn't want to fall behind on his bills.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 08 Jan 2019, 21:15

These military bounced check stories are strangely relevant to an argument I was having yesterday with a colleague. She was convinced that with intensive advising, i.e. constant attention and monitoring from either a professor or the college equivalent of a high school guidance counselor, we could help young people get their shit together, do their work on time, register on time, do their financial aid paperwork on time, study enough, etc.

Leaving aside the timeless irresponsibility of youth living away from home for the first time, it strikes me that even the military, an institution with a bit more authority over its young adults than your typical university has (service academies excepted, of course) has trouble with getting young adults to get their shit together. Unless we get the authority to order somebody to work on their term paper while the equivalent of an NCO stands over them, I don't see this working any time soon.

(It always works with some well-photographed kids who volunteered for a special program, chose to stay in the program, and continued to get a scholarship from the program. And even then it only works as well as they'll admit to the interviewer. You never know what else is going on.)
"just build a quantum foam wall and make the tardigrades pay for it."
--Hugh

Number 6

Post by Number 6 » 08 Jan 2019, 21:48

The attrition rate at the end of first semester, and first year in college was startling. And lord knows that when I was in the Marines, I saw, and participated in, incredible stupidity. This, I think, is a case of young people being young..
" i discovered you eat dog dicks out of a bowl marked "dog dicks" because you're too stupid to remember where you left your bowl of dog dicks."-dhex, of course.
"Come, let us go forth and not rape together"-Jadagul

Warren

Post by Warren » 08 Jan 2019, 22:24

Actually I'd say getting young adults to get their shit together is the one thing the military does best.

Stupid is going to stupid and all, but when it stupids in the military it's dealt with forthwith and on no uncertain terms.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 08 Jan 2019, 23:19

All I know is that the military has way more leverage over its young charges than any college, yet some people are convinced that with constant advising and social pressure and attention and non-stop reminders we can get young people to get their shit together and not fail out.

A lot of the subtext is that kids from certain socioeconomic brackets seem to have their shit even less together than others. Not that suburban kids don't do irresponsible shit, but there's a belief (perhaps somewhat true) that they have a slightly better sense of when you can fuck off and when you can't, because they know how to read the cues of this environment better, and this is why attrition rates depend on social and economic class.

Whatever the causes of these disparities, I don't think that any institution has as much clout as they think when it comes to getting young people to get their shit together.
"just build a quantum foam wall and make the tardigrades pay for it."
--Hugh

Warren

Post by Warren » 09 Jan 2019, 09:18

I'll buy that
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 09 Jan 2019, 10:19

A bit of anecdata WRT the military as a route to getting an education: One of my cousins volunteered for the Air Force in 1968. As I understand the rules at the time, he could 'volunteer' for the Air Force for four years instead of being drafted into the army for three and serving as a grunt in Vietnam. (He and his father were all for 'killing gooks', but he preferred not to put his precious hide on the front line.)

Despite the numerous trade opportunities available, he totally goldbricked his way through four years, learned nothing and got only the most perfunctory offer to 're-up' before the USAF waved goodbye.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 09 Jan 2019, 10:39

Aresen wrote:
09 Jan 2019, 10:19
A bit of anecdata WRT the military as a route to getting an education: One of my cousins volunteered for the Air Force in 1968. As I understand the rules at the time, he could 'volunteer' for the Air Force for four years instead of being drafted into the army for three and serving as a grunt in Vietnam. (He and his father were all for 'killing gooks', but he preferred not to put his precious hide on the front line.)

Despite the numerous trade opportunities available, he totally goldbricked his way through four years, learned nothing and got only the most perfunctory offer to 're-up' before the USAF waved goodbye.
I'm not sure what opportunities there are to lean a trade in the Air Farce. :lol: :P
Your friend should have had the GI Bill though. If he was inclined to go back to school.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 09 Jan 2019, 10:53

My cousin is a feckless git and has more or less drifted through life doing nothing. He never held a job for more than a few years and is living off whatever pensions he is entitled to plus income from his inheritance. (His father left the family home in Redwood City jointly to him and his brother. His brother refused to sell the property so they split the rental income 50-50.)
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Mo

Post by Mo » 10 Jan 2019, 05:23

Warren wrote:
09 Jan 2019, 10:39
Aresen wrote:
09 Jan 2019, 10:19

I'm not sure what opportunities there are to lean a trade in the Air Farce. :lol: :P
Your friend should have had the GI Bill though. If he was inclined to go back to school.
My submariner friend, after his first two years underwater, used to say, "I should have joined the Air Force and fly a desk."
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex