Capitalism: It works, bitches

Andrew

Re: Capitalism: It works, bitches

Post by Andrew » 25 Jun 2016, 10:36

I bought this laptop. I am now completely sold on SSDs. The startup time is roughly 1 second. Between the processor, RAM, and SSD, this thing is unbelievably fast.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

holy shit there will never be an end until the sweet release of death (as dictated by the death panels, natch) - lunch

Highway

Post by Highway » 25 Jun 2016, 10:52

I think SSD's are the biggest single leap in user experience improvement since the hard drive.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 25 Jun 2016, 13:26

The simple fact of never hearing my drive spin is worth half the cost.

W10 really shines on SSD as well, great multi threaded performance and high I/O.

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 25 Jun 2016, 20:36

Andrew wrote:I bought this laptop. I am now completely sold on SSDs. The startup time is roughly 1 second. Between the processor, RAM, and SSD, this thing is unbelievably fast.
SSD's are the shit. There's faster tech coming into the server marketplace (and eventually the consumer space) soon too.
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 25 Jun 2016, 21:09

Our IT guy showed me some amazingly small (in physical size) SSDs when I was customizing a laptop (which of course my boss will get, while I take his old one :roll: ).
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 29 Jun 2016, 12:15

The tiny M.2 form factor is a cool novelty at SATA soeeds, but the PCIe drives that are just arriving could be really interesting for real time high data transfer like VR media and ofc video editing etc.

JD

Post by JD » 30 Jun 2016, 13:47

I recently ordered a piece of musical gear from a German company, and it is shortly to arrive. (It's the Duesenberg Les Trem II, if you're curious.) The entire process has been pretty amazing, actually.

-I learned about the item from an online forum with members around the US and the world
-I was able to look up and order the item - made by a German company and almost exclusively available from them - online
-I paid for it instantaneously using Paypal, which also handled currency conversion for me
-the seller promptly responded via email, with a link to the Fedex tracking service
-Fedex got the package from Hannover, Germany to Brooklyn in approximately three days.

This is pretty amazing. Only thirty years ago or so, this would have been a slow, difficult, and uncertain process. How would I have heard about the item in the first place? A mention in a magazine, maybe, or seeing one at a jam session, or a catalog at a local store? I would have had to have written to Germany or phoned, neither of which would have been that easy, cheap, or convenient. Paying for it would have been a hassle; I'd be lucky if they accepted US checks or credit cards. Then they would have shipped it out, I doubt it would have only taken a few days to arrive, and I sure would not have been able to track its progress the whole way.

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 30 Jun 2016, 14:01

JD wrote:Only thirty years ago or so, this would have been a slow, difficult, and uncertain process. How would I have heard about the item in the first place? A mention in a magazine, maybe, or seeing one at a jam session, or a catalog at a local store? I would have had to have written to Germany or phoned, neither of which would have been that easy, cheap, or convenient. Paying for it would have been a hassle; I'd be lucky if they accepted US checks or credit cards. Then they would have shipped it out, I doubt it would have only taken a few days to arrive, and I sure would not have been able to track its progress the whole way.
About 30 years ago, I needed a very large girth (for a horse) of a particular type. I tried all over North America. I finally got a lead on finding it from a friend of a friend who worked in a tack shop who had been in England and knew a possible source in London. I phoned the London source (8 hour time difference made that a hassle to begin with and the phone call cost $3/minute). I had to send them a sterling money order for the full price and then wait for it to come by parcel post. The whole process took six months.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 30 Jun 2016, 20:42

JD wrote:I recently ordered a piece of musical gear from a German company, and it is shortly to arrive. (It's the Duesenberg Les Trem II, if you're curious.) The entire process has been pretty amazing, actually.

-I learned about the item from an online forum with members around the US and the world
-I was able to look up and order the item - made by a German company and almost exclusively available from them - online
-I paid for it instantaneously using Paypal, which also handled currency conversion for me
-the seller promptly responded via email, with a link to the Fedex tracking service
-Fedex got the package from Hannover, Germany to Brooklyn in approximately three days.

This is pretty amazing. Only thirty years ago or so, this would have been a slow, difficult, and uncertain process. How would I have heard about the item in the first place? A mention in a magazine, maybe, or seeing one at a jam session, or a catalog at a local store? I would have had to have written to Germany or phoned, neither of which would have been that easy, cheap, or convenient. Paying for it would have been a hassle; I'd be lucky if they accepted US checks or credit cards. Then they would have shipped it out, I doubt it would have only taken a few days to arrive, and I sure would not have been able to track its progress the whole way.
I was really hoping it was going to be a clavinet.
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 01 Jul 2016, 10:24

We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

holy shit there will never be an end until the sweet release of death (as dictated by the death panels, natch) - lunch

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 01 Jul 2016, 10:33

That's my complaint about living in SF area. Only 3 hours from Reno, yet can't afford to benefit.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 01 Jul 2016, 11:06

That site spammed my Android with several dozen unclosable spam popups I would recommend not going there.

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 01 Jul 2016, 11:18

I fucking hate that. Some blogs I read regularly get those ads periodically, and I have to stop the page loading after the content I want to read, but before the hijacking occurs.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 01 Jul 2016, 11:23

What is the gryllpropriate stance on tipping prostitutes? On the one hand, we know that tipping is anti-market. On the other hand, if you plan to be a repeat customer then maybe you want to curry favor.
"Camacho would be better than Trump. He actually has goodwill towards the world, and he actually did seek out the assistance of the smartest man in the world."
--Fin Fang Foom

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 01 Jul 2016, 11:30

I always tip my prostitutes and strippers. Except when I'm really broke. I promise to make it up to them later in those situations.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 01 Jul 2016, 11:39

I would rather just pay the market price at point of sale. If the arbitrary bs convention is tipping, I will tip.

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 01 Jul 2016, 11:58

thoreau wrote:What is the gryllpropriate stance on tipping prostitutes? On the one hand, we know that tipping is anti-market. On the other hand, if you plan to be a repeat customer then maybe you want to curry favor.
I wouldn't want curry near the tip in this coffee shop.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 01 Jul 2016, 11:59

You are so white bread vanilla.

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 01 Jul 2016, 12:46

Tipping isn't anti market when it indicates a reward for *personal service* above what I'm paying for the product or service at baseline, imho. Like Jason, I don't want to feel like a tip is somehow expected above the market price listed. I want whomever is helping me to understand that.

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 01 Jul 2016, 13:00

the innominate one wrote:You are so white bread vanilla.
But sometimes sugar free vanilla.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 01 Jul 2016, 13:33

I would suspect prostitutes always get the tip and then some.

Taktix®

Post by Taktix® » 01 Jul 2016, 14:16

Yep, we're living in Idiocracy...
"Guilty as charged. Go ahead and ban me from the mall." - Ellie

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 01 Jul 2016, 14:37

UN expense accounts are going to show some mighty expensive coffee breaks.

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 01 Jul 2016, 15:00

Maybe I'm just a middle-American prude but this doesn't sound terribly arousing.

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 01 Jul 2016, 15:33

Painboy wrote:
Maybe I'm just a middle-American prude but this doesn't sound terribly arousing.
They make very strong coffee.