Capitalism: It works, bitches

Hugh Akston

Re: Capitalism: It works, bitches

Post by Hugh Akston » 13 Oct 2015, 17:00

Netflix must have worked out some kind of data-swapping deal with the USPS, because for a couple of weeks now they have been sending my new discs before they even get my old ones back.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

Taktix®

Post by Taktix® » 13 Oct 2015, 18:27

Broward, one of the richest counties in the U.S., just caved to a 6-year-old company, who won by merely withdrawing consent. God fucking bless America!
"Guilty as charged. Go ahead and ban me from the mall." - Ellie

Warren

Post by Warren » 13 Oct 2015, 19:45

Taktix® wrote:Broward, one of the richest counties in the U.S., just caved to a 6-year-old company, who won by merely withdrawing consent. God fucking bless America!
link?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Mo

Post by Mo » 13 Oct 2015, 19:55

Hugh Akston wrote:Netflix must have worked out some kind of data-swapping deal with the USPS, because for a couple of weeks now they have been sending my new discs before they even get my old ones back.
I think it's standard tracking. They probably ship once it gets scanned in at the post office. Also, I would guess return is lower class than outgoing.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Taktix®

Post by Taktix® » 13 Oct 2015, 20:51

Warren wrote:
Taktix® wrote:Broward, one of the richest counties in the U.S., just caved to a 6-year-old company, who won by merely withdrawing consent. God fucking bless America!
link?
Here. I happened to be passing by during a bus transfer and scooped 'em though...

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 31 Oct 2015, 15:38

So by way of my boss's reaction to me being down with the flu, I found out that this exists:

http://www.spoonfulofcomfort.com/

It's an edible-arrangements analog for soup. Instead of flowers or a sympathy card or a gift basket, you can send someone a half-gallon mason jar of soup. Mostly it's chicken noodle/dumpling, but you can also choose a seasonal soup. Mine came with rolls, cookies, and a modestly nice flatware serving ladle. Other packages include 'comfy socks' or chamomile tea or a 'guardian angel token' or a blanket or my favorite, a 'Comfort Pocket Stone - Smooth stone with engraving'. The only thing they're missing is footy pajamas.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"Repeated headdesk is dangerous yo." - JasonL

Warren

Post by Warren » 31 Oct 2015, 22:11

What? No neti pot?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 01 Nov 2015, 08:01

lunchstealer wrote:So by way of my boss's reaction to me being down with the flu, I found out that this exists:

It's an edible-arrangements analog for soup. Instead of flowers or a sympathy card or a gift basket, you can send someone a half-gallon mason jar of soup. Mostly it's chicken noodle/dumpling, but you can also choose a seasonal soup. Mine came with rolls, cookies, and a modestly nice flatware serving ladle. Other packages include 'comfy socks' or chamomile tea or a 'guardian angel token' or a blanket or my favorite, a 'Comfort Pocket Stone - Smooth stone with engraving'. The only thing they're missing is footy pajamas.
Like. Um ... is the soup any good?

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 01 Nov 2015, 17:57

So I finally got around to a bowl of the soup, and it's a pretty decent soup. Manages to be flavorful enough that I can taste it while still pretty stuffy, without seeming overpowering. The chicken looks like it's breast meat, which seems like a choice made more for people who don't understand how flavor works, but the noodles are nicely toothsome, and the celery and possibly green onions or scallions retained far more crunch than I'd have imagined from pre-made soup.

So yeah, if you had a distant family/friend with an illness or similar and you wanted to send something more useful than flowers, this would be a good option.

Warren - I use one of the squeezable sinus-rinse things rather than the neti pot, and it has seen a lot of use over the past week. The soup would be a bit chunky for neti-pot use anyway.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 01 Nov 2015, 17:58

lunchstealer wrote:The soup would be a bit chunky for neti-pot use anyway.
Blender.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

holy shit there will never be an end until the sweet release of death (as dictated by the death panels, natch) - lunch

Taktix®

Post by Taktix® » 02 Nov 2015, 14:41

JasonL wrote:
lunchstealer wrote:So by way of my boss's reaction to me being down with the flu, I found out that this exists:

Like. Um ... is the soup any good?
Where's the schpoon?

Aaaa-Chaaaa!

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 02 Nov 2015, 18:03

There is no schpoon.

Only Zuul.

Update. Felt like crap all day, couldn't even stay out of bed until noon (tried to get up a couple of times, but gave up and went back to bed each time). Finally heated up some of the soup, and am already feeling better. Not good, mind, but a notable improvement. And still pretty tasty (and vastly superior to Campbell's, obviously).

My boss referred to it as Jewish penicillin, and he's got a point.

JD

Post by JD » 17 Nov 2015, 11:02

We've had a succession of Contigo-brand travel mugs. My wife got one, then I said, "Hey, that's better than the one I have", so we got another one, and then a while later I lost mine, so we got a third.

The Contigo mugs are very well-insulated and spillproof. But the really cool thing is that the design has visibly improved over time. The spring-loaded push-button mechanism that you use to drink from the mug lives in the lid, but it was a bit fiddly and hard to clean on the first model. On the second one that we bought, we noticed that part of the mechanism, which had been a fixed piece before, was now hinged to give you better access for cleaning. On the third one that we bought, the entire mechanism now actually unfolds from the lid so you can clean it.

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 17 Nov 2015, 18:13

JD wrote:We've had a succession of Contigo-brand travel mugs. My wife got one, then I said, "Hey, that's better than the one I have", so we got another one, and then a while later I lost mine, so we got a third.

The Contigo mugs are very well-insulated and spillproof. But the really cool thing is that the design has visibly improved over time. The spring-loaded push-button mechanism that you use to drink from the mug lives in the lid, but it was a bit fiddly and hard to clean on the first model. On the second one that we bought, we noticed that part of the mechanism, which had been a fixed piece before, was now hinged to give you better access for cleaning. On the third one that we bought, the entire mechanism now actually unfolds from the lid so you can clean it.
I have both the v1.0 and the v1.5 (different lid / body style, still fixed in the lid). I noticed, maybe a year ago, that they had reissued the 1.0 with the hinge. I haven't looked into upgrading just the lid (as Costco has the cups @2/$20 about twice a year) but I suppose it's an option.
"I want to live in a world where the Democrats are competent enough to secretly have millions of illegal aliens vote, but dumb enough to concentrate them in California and New York."=--Mo

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 23 Dec 2015, 15:56

Local Chinese place timed their delivery menus to arrive in mailboxes two days before Xmas. Well played.

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 23 Dec 2015, 16:12

Hugh Akston wrote:Local Chinese place timed their delivery menus to arrive in mailboxes two days before Xmas. Well played.
Depends if they are open Xmas day. (Faux News would love Canada: Just about everything is closed from late afternoon on the 24th until the start of the Boxing Day Sales on the 26th. Good luck finding anything you run out of.

(At least, with liquor sales partly privatized, you can pick up wine or beer now on Xmas day.)
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

nicole

Post by nicole » 23 Dec 2015, 16:40

Hugh Akston wrote:Local Chinese place timed their delivery menus to arrive in mailboxes two days before Xmas. Well played.
Ummmmm real capitalists send orphans around hand-delivering menus rather than using the government postal service Hugh. Jeez.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Privilege is having large phones fit into the garments that society expects you to wear." -Dangerman

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 23 Dec 2015, 16:42

nicole wrote:
Ummmmm real capitalists send crippled orphans around hand-delivering menus rather than using the government postal service Hugh. Jeez.
FIFY. Also note that the orphans are paid at a piece-rate.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 23 Dec 2015, 16:51

Aresen wrote:
Depends if they are open Xmas day. (Faux News would love Canada: Just about everything is closed from late afternoon on the 24th until the start of the Boxing Day Sales on the 26th. Good luck finding anything you run out of.

(At least, with liquor sales partly privatized, you can pick up wine or beer now on Xmas day.)
Yeah, local labor-progs were all giving hummers to the local Kroger affiliate because they announced that they were closing on Christmas so their employees could spend time with family. Fortunately, if I find I'm missing something during Xmas dinner prep, I'm pretty sure Walmart will have my back.

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 23 Dec 2015, 17:00

Guys this is a Chinese place, the traditional bastion against mandatory yuletidings for Jews and other apostates.

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 23 Dec 2015, 17:04

Hugh Akston wrote:Guys this is a Chinese place, the traditional bastion against mandatory yuletidings for Jews and other apostates.
Traditionally run by Ho Sing Goldberg.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 26 Dec 2015, 04:29

lunchstealer wrote:Fortunately, if I find I'm missing something during Xmas dinner prep, I'm pretty sure Walmart will have my back.
You would be wrong.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

JD

Post by JD » 05 Jan 2016, 15:26

America is the greatest, because you sure don't see any other country inventing the electric kazoo!

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 05 Jan 2016, 15:38

JD wrote:America is the greatest, because you sure don't see any other country inventing the electric kazoo!
Probably a weapon that never should have been developed.

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 05 Jan 2016, 16:21

Aresen wrote:
JD wrote:America is the greatest, because you sure don't see any other country inventing the electric kazoo!
Probably a weapon that never should have been developed.
Anybody ever gives that to my kid, their kid's getting a drum kit.
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL