Capitalism: It works, bitches

Eric the .5b

Capitalism: It works, bitches

Post by Eric the .5b » 27 Oct 2013, 00:08

About the triumphs of the free market.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Eric the .5b

Re: Capitalism: It works, bitches

Post by Eric the .5b » 27 Oct 2013, 00:11

I'll start with this incredibly detailed FAQ that's worth reading for the lulz or the sheer horror of what people can be allergic to.

But in the end? Their havarti wedge tastes like fuckin' havarti. Cheap havarti, maybe, but havarti.
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 27 Oct 2013, 00:14

OK, so we won't be discussing internet service providers, banks, most auto manufacturers, utility companies or Applebees. :D
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 27 Oct 2013, 00:19

Eric the .5b wrote:I'll start with this incredibly detailed FAQ that's worth reading for the lulz or the sheer horror of what people can be allergic to.

But in the end? Their havarti wedge tastes like fuckin' havarti. Cheap havarti, maybe, but havarti.
the FAQ wrote:Do you use Titanium dioxide in your products?

We use Titanium dioxide, a naturally occurring mineral, to keep our products’ base color consistent. Our level of use is well below the international standard, as well as the FDA maximum level of 1%. Unlike the Titanium dioxide that is used in cosmetics, the form that is used in Daiya products is not a nano particle. This ingredient is considered safe for human consumption by both the FDA and CFIA.
a) I want to know where they get their TiO2
b) I gotta laugh about the "FDA Approval" part of it.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 27 Oct 2013, 01:02

Aresen wrote:a) I want to know where they get their TiO2
b) I gotta laugh about the "FDA Approval" part of it.
Do tell.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 27 Oct 2013, 01:55

Aresen wrote:OK, so we won't be discussing internet service providers, banks, most auto manufacturers, utility companies or Applebees. :D
The first rule of Applebee's is FUCK YOU I WON'T EVEN TYPE THAT NAME A SECOND TIME.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 27 Oct 2013, 10:36

I am sure that, if it were suddenly discovered that Pu239 cured alzheimer's, the local food co-op would start advertising their "all-natural" plutonium.

dhex

Post by dhex » 27 Oct 2013, 11:35

the first rule of applebee's is "prepare your anus".
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 27 Oct 2013, 16:39

dhex wrote:the first rule of applebee's is "prepare your anus".
I thought that was Chipotle.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

holy shit there will never be an end until the sweet release of death (as dictated by the death panels, natch) - lunch

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 27 Oct 2013, 18:48

Strip mall Indian lunch buffet.

Ayn_Randian

Post by Ayn_Randian » 27 Oct 2013, 22:22

WHITE CASTLE
It has the effect of making me want desperately to do the opposite of what Green Day is suggesting I should want to do. Billy Joe Whassname may have created a generation of war mongers. - Jason L

Mo

Post by Mo » 27 Oct 2013, 22:30

Ayn_Randian wrote:WHITE CASTLE
Wrong thread. Unless you work for Big TP.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Ayn_Randian

Post by Ayn_Randian » 27 Oct 2013, 22:32

I thought we were talking about restaurants where one should prepare ones anus.
It has the effect of making me want desperately to do the opposite of what Green Day is suggesting I should want to do. Billy Joe Whassname may have created a generation of war mongers. - Jason L

Warren

Post by Warren » 27 Oct 2013, 22:37

Eric the .5b wrote:About the triumphs of the free market.
Pumpkin carving patterns - Browse online. Purchase via paypal. Download instantly.
Gentrification is undocumented immigration for the left-leaning. - Shem

JD

Post by JD » 28 Oct 2013, 10:37

Harbor Freight. A few months ago they opened a new store near my home, and I went the other day. Good selection and pretty amazing prices - I got three step bits for $10, whereas the frou-frou hardware store near my office wanted $100 for one.
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 28 Oct 2013, 11:04

JD wrote:Harbor Freight. A few months ago they opened a new store near my home, and I went the other day. Good selection and pretty amazing prices - I got three step bits for $10, whereas the frou-frou hardware store near my office wanted $100 for one.
Harbor Freight is great. If you end up burning out your cheap Harbor Freight stuff, that's a hint you're doing enough work to need a better quality of tool.
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 28 Oct 2013, 15:03

tr0g wrote:
JD wrote:Harbor Freight. A few months ago they opened a new store near my home, and I went the other day. Good selection and pretty amazing prices - I got three step bits for $10, whereas the frou-frou hardware store near my office wanted $100 for one.
Harbor Freight is great. If you end up burning out your cheap Harbor Freight stuff, that's a hint you're doing enough work to need a better quality of tool.
Yeah, there's stuff I'll get at Harbor Freight and there's stuff I go to Ace or Sears for. Screwdrivers, for whatever reason, seem to be a Craftsman or bust kind of thing with me. Philips at least. I can use cheapo ones for certain small electronics or other easy low-torque tasks, but for anything difficult, a mid-grade (I assume Craftsman is actually mid-grade, not top-grade, but I'm not an expert) screwdriver is a big improvement. Pliers can pretty much be from anywhere.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Highway

Post by Highway » 28 Oct 2013, 15:20

I'd put Craftsman screwdrivers in about as top grade as you're going to get without spending an absolute fortune for Snap-On or the like, and there's very little quality difference. There's a reason Sears has had that lifetime warranty forever.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Number 6

Post by Number 6 » 28 Oct 2013, 20:37

Highway wrote:I'd put Craftsman screwdrivers in about as top grade as you're going to get without spending an absolute fortune for Snap-On or the like, and there's very little quality difference. There's a reason Sears has had that lifetime warranty forever.
This. Snap-On or Kobalt might be worth the money if using tools is part of your job. I know mechanics who swear by Snap-On stuff, primarily because their stuff is easier to use all day every day. For people like myself who use tools only occasionally, Craftsman is more than good enough.
Random thought-every household should have the following tools, and those tools should be of mid-grade or better quality:
Phillips and standard screwdrivers in several sizes.
A set of alan wrenches (Quality doesn't matter that much here, unless you plan to use them a lot.)
A ratchet set with metric and SAE heads.
A hammer.
A cordless drill.
Duct tape.
Channel lock pliers
Regular pliers
Box-end wrenches, again in metric and SAE.

With that, you can deal with 90% of the repair jobs that come up.
" i discovered you eat dog dicks out of a bowl marked "dog dicks" because you're too stupid to remember where you left your bowl of dog dicks."-dhex, of course.
"Come, let us go forth and not rape together"-Jadagul

dhex

Post by dhex » 28 Oct 2013, 20:55

needle nose pliers.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

Highway

Post by Highway » 28 Oct 2013, 20:55

Number 6 wrote:
Highway wrote:I'd put Craftsman screwdrivers in about as top grade as you're going to get without spending an absolute fortune for Snap-On or the like, and there's very little quality difference. There's a reason Sears has had that lifetime warranty forever.
This. Snap-On or Kobalt might be worth the money if using tools is part of your job. I know mechanics who swear by Snap-On stuff, primarily because their stuff is easier to use all day every day. For people like myself who use tools only occasionally, Craftsman is more than good enough.
Random thought-every household should have the following tools, and those tools should be of mid-grade or better quality:
Phillips and standard screwdrivers in several sizes.
A set of alan wrenches (Quality doesn't matter that much here, unless you plan to use them a lot.)
A ratchet set with metric and SAE heads.
A hammer.
A cordless drill.
Duct tape.
Channel lock pliers
Regular pliers
Box-end wrenches, again in metric and SAE.

With that, you can deal with 90% of the repair jobs that come up.
I actually don't have a cordless drill, just a plain Craftsman corded drill. For 100% of the jobs I try to use a drill on, it works fine, and the batteries are never dead, I never have to wait to use it, and it takes up less space and cost a heck of a lot less. I've thought about getting a cordless drill multiple times over the last 20 years, but every time it came down to "I use the drill maybe 3 or 4 times per year, that's a lot of cost and battery maintenance for that kind of use."
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 28 Oct 2013, 20:56

CK or Wiha tools are the ones. Lindstrom for tweezers. RS makes some AMAZING wire strippers though. AMAZING.

Makita for drills?
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

Number 6

Post by Number 6 » 28 Oct 2013, 20:57

The cordless part is a preference. In fairness, I don't own one either. When I need a drill, I just borrow the station's cordless.
Agree about the needle-nose pliers.
" i discovered you eat dog dicks out of a bowl marked "dog dicks" because you're too stupid to remember where you left your bowl of dog dicks."-dhex, of course.
"Come, let us go forth and not rape together"-Jadagul

Warren

Post by Warren » 28 Oct 2013, 21:09

Craftsman is still the real deal when it comes to hand tools, but I wouldn't touch their power tools.
Names I use to swear by in power tools, like Black and Decker, have gone to shit over time. These days, DeWalt is my go-to.
Gentrification is undocumented immigration for the left-leaning. - Shem

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 29 Oct 2013, 00:07

They're finally releasing the Indiana Jones movies individually on blu-ray. No Kingdom of Shia LeBoef's Infinite Sadness for me!
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul