Capitalism: It works, bitches

Warren

Re: Capitalism: It works, bitches

Post by Warren » 28 Oct 2017, 14:28

Last time I went to the dentist they measured my BP with a wrist cuff. First time I've ever seen one. The technician said they've been using them for longer than the two years she's been working there. Though I don't know why they thought they needed my BP. It was the first time I ever had it taken at the dentist. It was just a cleaning, I didn't even get Novocaine. It is a new dentist though, my original dentist retired and sold his practice. The new guy seems equally causal about things. Looks for cavities, but doesn't spend a lot of time poking and prodding, didn't push whitening, getting caps or anything. And I like the facilities. Although, this last time they put me in a room overlooking the street instead of one of the chairs in the back overlooking the landscaping and bird feeding station.... Wait, what was I talking about? Oh yeah, the battery powered wrist cuffs. Anybody else encounter those?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 28 Oct 2017, 14:53

I, too, knew the word, though my home machine doesn't involve pushing mercury up a tube. I'll give physicians this. They learn a shit-ton of words, many of which are somewhat similar sounding, and seem to be able to remember them throughout practice even if they specialize in another field. Lawyers learn a great deal of jargon, but not nearly as much, and most lawyers will freely admit that they began forgetting stuff the minute they walked out of the bar examination.

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 28 Oct 2017, 15:15

Doctors are trained to memorize more than think. It's an issue with the practice of medicine.

But I've often said, including to my classes, if scientists didn't use incomprehensible terminology, we couldn't charge as much money for our expertise. That's why mds call fainting syncope.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

Jake

Post by Jake » 31 Oct 2017, 13:31

For those of you in the pro-Oreo camp, a life pro-tip:

Get your glass of milk. Get your Oreos. Get a fork.

Stab the fork into the Oreo filling from the side of the cookie. Now you have a convenient handle, so you can dunk 100% of the cookie in the milk and you don't get your fingertips wet.

Changed my life.
"TIL that it's genetically impossible for whales to have evolved from leg-having ancestors, millions of scientists are signing a petition to stop the teaching of evolution and evolution isn't real because Nazis wanted to kill all the Jews. Alternately, I met a moron at the museum." -- TIO

Warren

Post by Warren » 31 Oct 2017, 14:32

Jake wrote:
31 Oct 2017, 13:31

Stab the fork into the Oreo filling from the side of the cookie. Now you have a convenient handle, so you can dunk 100% of the cookie in the milk and you don't get your fingertips wet.

Changed my life.
By draining joy out of it?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Jake

Post by Jake » 31 Oct 2017, 14:35

Warren wrote:
31 Oct 2017, 14:32
Jake wrote:
31 Oct 2017, 13:31

Changed my life.
By draining joy out of it?
I'm beginning (just beginning!) to suspect that we may have different metrics for "joy". Still, wet fingers for some, tiny American flags attached to fork handles for others.
"TIL that it's genetically impossible for whales to have evolved from leg-having ancestors, millions of scientists are signing a petition to stop the teaching of evolution and evolution isn't real because Nazis wanted to kill all the Jews. Alternately, I met a moron at the museum." -- TIO

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 31 Oct 2017, 14:37

You don't have oreo tongs?

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 31 Oct 2017, 14:39

Just the other day Jeff told me about one of those "British people reacting to American things" videos he saw on YouTube, and in addition to the usual semantic complaints about the transatlantic differences between "biscuits" and "cookies," the guy complained that American "cookies" which Britons would call "biscuits" tend to be round rather than square, which is supposedly a bad thing because square biscuits are better for dunking in tea.

Which makes no sense to me, assuming British teacups have the same size and shape as the ones I've seen or owned here in America.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 31 Oct 2017, 14:41

Maybe he meant rectangular so you can dip from the long end?

Jake

Post by Jake » 31 Oct 2017, 14:41

JasonL wrote:
31 Oct 2017, 14:37
I missed the Kickstarter. Waiting for them to hit retail.

Warren

Post by Warren » 31 Oct 2017, 14:42

Jake wrote:
31 Oct 2017, 14:41
JasonL wrote:
Retail version is more spoon than tongs
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 31 Oct 2017, 14:43

Jake wrote:
31 Oct 2017, 14:41
JasonL wrote:
Can you pretty please do the infomercial? Don't you hate it when THIS happens??? *dips oreo in milk using fingers, a milk shark eats fingers, blood everywhere*

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 31 Oct 2017, 14:44

I actually thought I invented oreo tongs for that joke :(

Warren

Post by Warren » 31 Oct 2017, 14:45

JasonL wrote:
31 Oct 2017, 14:44
That's what makes it so sweet :)
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Jake

Post by Jake » 31 Oct 2017, 14:48

JasonL wrote:
31 Oct 2017, 14:44
I thought you did, too. Capitalism!

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 23 Jan 2018, 12:07

New private company launches satellites to orbit.

http://www.syfy.com/syfywire/the-privat ... t-to-orbit
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"Repeated headdesk is dangerous yo." - JasonL

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 23 Jan 2018, 12:23

I just assumed that Alton Brown would have at least two different types of Oreo tongs, one for regular and another for double-stuff.
"Camacho would be better than Trump. He actually has goodwill towards the world, and he actually did seek out the assistance of the smartest man in the world."
--Fin Fang Foom

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 23 Jan 2018, 12:35

He hates tools with only a single use.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 23 Jan 2018, 13:05

Fine, then he probably has multiple sizes of snack tongs, usable either for dipping Oreos in milk or dipping crackers in various spreads.
"Camacho would be better than Trump. He actually has goodwill towards the world, and he actually did seek out the assistance of the smartest man in the world."
--Fin Fang Foom

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 23 Jan 2018, 13:14

That’s not really an Alton Brown vibe meign. Rachel Ray maybe? Someone with their own brand of tongs at Target.

Warren

Post by Warren » 23 Jan 2018, 14:03

JasonL wrote:
23 Jan 2018, 13:14
That’s not really an Alton Brown vibe meign. Rachel Ray maybe? Someone with their own brand of tongs at Target.
*nods* He's not going to need them because he's not going eat food out of a box. Make your own is his thing. Specialized cookie tongs is more Martha Stewart.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 23 Jan 2018, 17:17

Warren wrote:
23 Jan 2018, 14:03
JasonL wrote:
23 Jan 2018, 13:14
*nods* He's not going to need them because he's not going eat food out of a box. Make your own is his thing. Specialized cookie tongs is more Martha Stewart.
And she would've made those tongs herself, too, by repurposing and refinishing a piece off a vintage antique flurgelwitzer which, as everybody knows, are super-commonplace and inexpensive and easy to find at any charming rustic farm-country flea market. Of course those tongs beautifully complement the preexisting color scheme of her kitchen. It's a good thing.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 23 Jan 2018, 19:50

Ellen is kinda the brand monarch now. She had an aisle of stuff at the pet store, at least.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Mo

Post by Mo » 27 Jan 2018, 23:00

Took advantage of Sonos feeling the pressure from Apple and bought two Sonos Ones for $350.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 27 Jan 2018, 23:21

Kolohe wrote:
23 Jan 2018, 19:50
Ellen is kinda the brand monarch now. She had an aisle of stuff at the pet store, at least.
Doggy style?
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer