Nippon

Fin Fang Foom

Re: Nippon

Post by Fin Fang Foom »

Ayn_Randian wrote:I don't know how many states are no fault divorce states, but it's the vast majority, I would wager.
All. NY was the last to switch (in 2010!) for a few dumb and/or vicious reasons, though it was possible to emulate no-fault by jumping through some hoops.

Isaac Bartram

Post by Isaac Bartram »

Ayn_Randian wrote:Guys, in most divorce cases infidelity is irrelevant. I don't know how many states are no fault divorce states, but it's the vast majority, I would wager. Infidelity had no bearing on spousal support aka alimony, no bearing on custody issues, no bearing on child support, and no bearing on equitably dividing marital assets and proving separate property.
In my youth I lived in a jurisdiction where adultery was the only grounds for divorce (ie Canada).

People either simply split up and when they "remarried" lived "common-law" or if they had the resources they hired a detective to collect "evidence" against the party who was willing to bear the shame of being the guilty party, who could also recruit someone who was willing to bear the shame of being the co-respondent (ie the slut - or cad - who seduced the wrongdoer).

I actually don't know what Australian divorce laws were (marriage laws were strictly by state until the Federal Guv took them over a few years ago) except for the fact that almost no one got divorced and Australians thought that American divorce laws were shamefully lax.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

I've been Googling and have been unable to find the specific magazine article I was thinking about -- the agency that hires attractive people to set up spouses for divorce -- but I did find a related one from three years ago, which I hadn't even heard about at the time:

http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/ ... h_help_of/

"Private detective accused of setting up divorcing men for DUIs with help of alluring women."
A former police officer turned private detective has been accused of setting up divorcing men for drunken driving arrests with the help of alluring women who pretended to have a romantic interest in their targets.

The private detective, Christopher Butler, has also been accused in a federal indictment of selling drugs for police and helping cops open and operate a brothel, the Los Angeles Times reports. His alleged crimes involved California police departments in San Ramon and Danville and a state narcotics task force.

The newspaper profiles one of the men who was set up. David Dutcher, a rocket engineer, met a woman known as Sharon on Match.com a few months after he separated from his wife. Sharon was blonde and beautiful, Dutcher recalled, and appeared eager for an eventual sexual encounter. On their second date, Sharon asked Dutcher to meet a friend celebrating a real estate deal at a restaurant. The friend was downing tequila shots and asked Dutcher to help finish them. Next the women asked Dutcher to join them at a home with a hot tub. On the way there, Dutcher was arrested for drunken driving.

The allegations of DUI set-ups came to light after a former Butler employee said the stings were engineered for divorcing wives and their lawyers. Sharon, it turns out, was a former Las Vegas showgirl employed by Butler’s detective agency.

Dutcher’s estranged wife, Susan Dutcher, said in a sworn declaration that her lawyer’s paralegal suggested she hire Butler to obtain evidence that her husband drove while drinking. She said she did not authorize his arrest, however. Susan Dutcher’s lawyer at the time, Mary Nolan, denied having anything to do with the hiring of Butler.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

thoreau

Post by thoreau »

I have no patience for a person who gets behind the wheel in a compromised state, but I also have no patience for somebody who would try to encourage that behavior. If you see a person in a compromised state getting behind the wheel, the only ethical response is "Dude, give me the car keys" not "Yeah, let's go."
" Columbus wasn’t a profile in courage or brilliance despite the odds, he was a dumb motherfucker that got lucky. Oddly, that makes him the perfect talisman for the Trump era."
--Mo

Warren

Post by Warren »

thoreau wrote:I have no patience for a person who gets behind the wheel in a compromised state, but I also have no patience for somebody who would try to encourage that behavior. If you see a person in a compromised state getting behind the wheel, the only ethical response is "Dude, give me the car keys" not "Yeah, let's go."
This is a zillion times worse.
"I'll fuck you if you finish these shots and drive."
"Looks like we'll make our DUI quota again tonight. Good work Sherrie."
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

thoreau

Post by thoreau »

Linking from a phone is tricky, but Googling shows that the detective got prison time for, among other things, stealing drugs from evidence lockers. It also looks like at least some of the DUI cases were thrown out. That should go in the "Government's Good Side" thread.
" Columbus wasn’t a profile in courage or brilliance despite the odds, he was a dumb motherfucker that got lucky. Oddly, that makes him the perfect talisman for the Trump era."
--Mo

Mo

Post by Mo »

Did Japan legalize marijuana when no one was looking?
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Taktix®

Post by Taktix® »

YLSNED, in this case that Japan's housing market is the complete opposite of that of the west, in that houses lose value like durable goods and are worthless after like 30 years, and a neat little article as to why....
"Guilty as charged. Go ahead and ban me from the mall." - Ellie

Highway

Post by Highway »

That explains something I've seen in tv shows. When someone moves out, they knock the house down and sell an empty lot, or talk about someone building a house next door. Of course, given how insubstantial a lot of Japanese construction is, it ties into that as well.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Mo

Post by Mo »

There was a Freakonomics podcast about it and they said that modern Japanese houses are now better build than most American and European houses, but the culture endures. One side effect is that people don't put the same money and effort into maintenance, so it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

Highway

Post by Highway »

Mo wrote:There was a Freakonomics podcast about it and they said that modern Japanese houses are now better build than most American and European houses, but the culture endures. One side effect is that people don't put the same money and effort into maintenance, so it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.
I'll believe better built in some ways, but you'd think they might use some insulation? Nahhh. Double glazed windows? Probably not. Thin walls, thin doors, a lot of windows. That's the way to go.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe »

Highway wrote:
Mo wrote:There was a Freakonomics podcast about it and they said that modern Japanese houses are now better build than most American and European houses, but the culture endures. One side effect is that people don't put the same money and effort into maintenance, so it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.
I'll believe better built in some ways, but you'd think they might use some insulation? Nahhh. Double glazed windows? Probably not. Thin walls, thin doors, a lot of windows. That's the way to go.
Though with a climate that mostly resembles Cascadia, and a penchant for inhabiting small spaces mostly in urban heat islands, how much R-value do they really need?
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

JasonL

Post by JasonL »

There is suffering when climate controlling through the nightmarish humidity of rainy season. They are all in on modern prefab techniques and many use structural insulation systems these days.

Highway

Post by Highway »

I don't know if it's all that much Cascadia. It's really warm in summer, although the winters are generally milder. I tend to think of it as a more hot and humid mid-Atlantic, at least for the majority of the country. Comparing Tokyo to DC and Seattle, Tokyo is wetter than both (by a lot), and the temperatures more closely match DC, off by a 1 C warmer in winter, 1 C cooler in summer and warmer nights. In contrast, Seattle is 6C cooler than Tokyo in Summer, about the same highs in winter, but .

The lack of central HVAC is probably the biggest driver of no insulation. Mini-split systems are used for AC, and kerosene heaters and kotatsu still rule for heat.

JasonL

Post by JasonL »

I had a shirt mold while I was wearing it during rainy season in Osaka. That's gross.

Highway

Post by Highway »

JasonL wrote:I had a shirt mold while I was wearing it during rainy season in Osaka. That's gross.
Did the mold speak kansai-ben?
;)

Taktix®

Post by Taktix® »

I just looked up kotatsu and, damn, that looks like a house fire/accidental burn waiting to happen...
"Guilty as charged. Go ahead and ban me from the mall." - Ellie

Highway

Post by Highway »

That's not really something you hear about. I'd hazard a guess that there are probably more fires resulting from kotatsu cords than heating elements.

JasonL

Post by JasonL »

Highway wrote:
JasonL wrote:I had a shirt mold while I was wearing it during rainy season in Osaka. That's gross.
Did the mold speak kansai-ben?
;)
Chau yan ka!

I love meeting random Japanese people and dropping Honma! or something on them. It's like some Japanese dude coming here and using y'all.

Mo

Post by Mo »

No better thread than this one to put this.

pistoffnick

Post by pistoffnick »

Always be suspicious of people who have, or crave, power. - Stanley Kubrick
"Every decent man is ashamed of the government he lives under." - H.L. Mencken
"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants." - Albert Camus

pistoffnick

Post by pistoffnick »

Hands-free robotic tomato feeder/bag gag inserter/monkey-on-your-back

pistoffnick

Post by pistoffnick »

JasonL

Post by JasonL »

dammit

dhex

Post by dhex »

took me a while to figure that one out.
"i ran over the cat and didnt stop just carried on with tears in my eyes joose driving my way to work." - God