Does Elon's Musk stink?

Eric the .5b

Re: Does Elon's Musk stink?

Post by Eric the .5b »

JD wrote: 25 Nov 2019, 16:52You know, despite all the mockery of the design of the Tesla Cybertruck, I think the design might have been very intentional. Musk claims that the angular design was necessary because "you can’t stamp ultra-hard 30X steel, because it breaks the stamping press" but people have been making monocoque designs for about a hundred years, and most of them have not looked like that. And it occurred to me, what if Tesla had announced the Cybertruck, but instead it had looked virtually identical to, say, a Dodge Ram? I don't think it would have gotten nearly as much press. (I doubt the window-breaking thing was intentional, though...)
Well, consider the Bollinger B2—that is, the other electric truck that just came out and which gets much less talk,

It's not a completely conventional look, but it looks more like a classic pickup than a Tron version of a Halo Warthog.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.
JD

Post by JD »

Elon Musk drove the Cybertruck to dinner at Nobu. And managed to knock over a sign and make an illegal left turn on his way out of the parking lot. Also, there is some question of whether this was a legitimate use of the Cybertruck - manufacturers are apparently allowed to use not-yet-approved vehicles on the roads for testing purposes, but the CEO going to dinner does not seem like a legitimate testing purpose, especially as the vehicle does not yet have things like rear-view mirrors or windshield wipers.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston
JD

Post by JD »

Oh shit, I just realized another design inspiration for the Cybertruck: the "Landmaster" from the (execrable) 1977 film Damnation Alley.

I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston
Warren

Post by Warren »

THIS SPACE FOR RENT
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

That electric semi is due any day, right?
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex
JD

Post by JD »

I was reading a bit about Starlink (SpaceX's satellite internet service) and ran across this:
... internal documents leaked in February 2017 indicated that SpaceX expected more than US$30 billion in revenue by 2025 from its satellite constellation...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starlink_ ... tellation)
https://techcrunch.com/2017/01/13/space ... h-margins/

$30 billion in revenue per year in only 7 years? That's not huge by international corporation standards, but it's still up there with a Coca-Cola or a Phillip Morris, and it seems really ambitious for something that wasn't/isn't even scheduled to be operational until 2020. The Wikipedia entry also says
In August 2019, SpaceX expected four more launches in 2019...
They actually achieved only one more in 2019. It's stuff like this that makes me think that the Muskosphere has a cultural issue that leads them to only believe the most wildly optimistic of estimates.
dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis »

Exploring new frontiers in buying a girlfriend

If this doesn't peg womens' "The Implication" meters at maximum I don't know what could.

I'm sure he thinks he's being romantic in that weird way mil/billionaires do.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."
Mo

Post by Mo »

Selling internet access to poorly connected areas of the globe seems like a bad way to make high revenue numbers.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex
JasonL

Post by JasonL »

He just seems like he runs things like there's no step between back of napkin and spend millions. Like if someone found out that the $30 billion was $30,000 but there was a ketchup smudge, would that surprise anyone?
Mo

Post by Mo »

For comparison, Comcast made $15B in revenue for residential broadband in 2018. And they’re selling high speed broadband to 25% of the US market. That means the total revenue potential for broadband in the wealthiest large country in the world is only double Musk’s company would get in bottom of the pyramid access? GTFO.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

thoreau

Post by thoreau »

Maybe he's laundering someone's cash?
" Columbus wasn’t a profile in courage or brilliance despite the odds, he was a dumb motherfucker that got lucky. Oddly, that makes him the perfect talisman for the Trump era."
--Mo
Warren

Post by Warren »

Its a front for the construction of the volcano lair.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
JD

Post by JD »

JD

Post by JD »

Another Tesla Autopilot-related death. Yet again, the driver put his car on "Autopilot", then didn't pay attention. Yet again, Autopilot failed to notice a solid object in front of the car and drove straight into it. Pretty much everybody seems to be at fault here:
- Tesla sells an overmarketed "Autopilot" which doesn't actually prevent the car from driving straight into a solid object
- Driver pays zero attention to the road and doesn't notice when the car has left a lane and headed toward a barrier
- Crash barrier was in a "damaged and non-operational condition at the time of the collision"
Warren

Post by Warren »

JD wrote: 26 Feb 2020, 13:38 Another Tesla Autopilot-related death. Yet again, the driver put his car on "Autopilot", then didn't pay attention. Yet again, Autopilot failed to notice a solid object in front of the car and drove straight into it. Pretty much everybody seems to be at fault here:
- Tesla sells an overmarketed "Autopilot" which doesn't actually prevent the car from driving straight into a solid object
- Driver pays zero attention to the road and doesn't notice when the car has left a lane and headed toward a barrier
- Crash barrier was in a "damaged and non-operational condition at the time of the collision"
An Apple employee who died after his Tesla car hit a concrete barrier was playing a video game at the time of the crash, investigators believe.
That's a sure thing for a Darwin Award nomination at least.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
Warren

Post by Warren »

...and seeee
I'm just a poor boy, I need no sympathy,
Because I'm easy come, easy go,
Little high, little low,
Any way the wind blows doesn't really matter to me, to me.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
JD

Post by JD »

Elon Musk says that Tesla is very close to level 5 autonomous driving technology. So far they don't seem to have fixed "do not drive straight into an immovable object", which seems like it would be a prerequisite.
Highway

Post by Highway »

JD wrote: 09 Jul 2020, 13:59 Elon Musk says that Tesla is very close to level 5 autonomous driving technology. So far they don't seem to have fixed "do not drive straight into an immovable object", which seems like it would be a prerequisite.
Yeah, that's completely bullshit. Notice he says "We'll have the basic functionality of level 5" or "essentially complete autonomy" (which is Level 4, btw, since level 5 is COMPLETE autonomy). There is no "basic functionality" for level 5. It's the whole enchilada. Basic functionality is what they've already got.

Tesla must be hurting for cash, and he thinks they need a boost to stock price.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."
Shem

Post by Shem »

Highway wrote: 09 Jul 2020, 14:34
JD wrote: 09 Jul 2020, 13:59 Elon Musk says that Tesla is very close to level 5 autonomous driving technology. So far they don't seem to have fixed "do not drive straight into an immovable object", which seems like it would be a prerequisite.
Yeah, that's completely bullshit. Notice he says "We'll have the basic functionality of level 5" or "essentially complete autonomy" (which is Level 4, btw, since level 5 is COMPLETE autonomy). There is no "basic functionality" for level 5. It's the whole enchilada. Basic functionality is what they've already got.

Tesla must be hurting for cash, and he thinks they need a boost to stock price.
Or he's having another manic episode.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen
Mo

Post by Mo »

Tesla is such an obvious short (for a brief moment the 10th most valuable US company, WTAF). But the market is so irrational right now, it’s not worth the pain.

Warren

Post by Warren »

Mo wrote: 14 Jul 2020, 03:58 Tesla is such an obvious short (for a brief moment the 10th most valuable US company, WTAF). But the market is so irrational right now, it’s not worth the pain.
I mean. It's necessarily the case that if [company] is such an obvious short/leveraged buy, the market is "so irrational".
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
Mo

Post by Mo »

Yes, but a frothy market is especially dangerous for short sellers.

thoreau

Post by thoreau »

Markets can't be irrational. Libertarian economics textbooks describe them entirely in terms of integers and fractions.
" Columbus wasn’t a profile in courage or brilliance despite the odds, he was a dumb motherfucker that got lucky. Oddly, that makes him the perfect talisman for the Trump era."
--Mo
Painboy

Post by Painboy »

Mo wrote: 14 Jul 2020, 11:24 Yes, but a frothy market is especially dangerous for short sellers.
Sometimes all you have are bad options and less bad options.
Warren

Post by Warren »

At this time I really think the safest bet is against fiat. The money printer go brrr thing is just unprecedented. Not even in war time have we ever been so reckless, and so casual about it. I can't understand how anybody can believe the inflation isn't around the corner. But they do. And that's an opportunity.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT