Does Elon's Musk stink?

Aresen

Re: Does Elon's Musk stink?

Post by Aresen » 16 Jul 2018, 17:49

Hugh Akston wrote:
16 Jul 2018, 17:41
Shem wrote:
16 Jul 2018, 16:45
Between the outsize personality and the love of Rube Goldbergesque plots, I feel like Elon Musk is one bad day away from winding up as a Bond villain.
Fortunately his solar-powered death ray won't work as advertised.
However, a ride on a Hyperloop will serve the purpose.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 16 Jul 2018, 17:52

Jadagul wrote:
16 Jul 2018, 16:57
Musk has always been an overpromising asshole.
True, but his recent Trumpesqueian twitter fits have a 'Working twenty hours every day just to keep the lid on this thing a little while longer. If I could only just... FUCK FUCK FUCK' vibe to em.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 16 Jul 2018, 18:26

Warren wrote:
16 Jul 2018, 17:52
Jadagul wrote:
True, but his recent Trumpesqueian twitter fits have a 'Working twenty hours every day just to keep the lid on this thing a little while longer. If I could only just... FUCK FUCK FUCK' vibe to em.
Yeah. I think right now we're seeing the wheels come off as more people realize he's an overpromising asshole.

It's kind of a relief for people to finally notice, rather than thinking I'm crazy for not being impressed.

JD

Post by JD » 17 Jul 2018, 11:06

Jadagul wrote:
16 Jul 2018, 18:26
Warren wrote:
16 Jul 2018, 17:52
Jadagul wrote:
Yeah. I think right now we're seeing the wheels come off as more people realize he's an overpromising asshole.

It's kind of a relief for people to finally notice, rather than thinking I'm crazy for not being impressed.
I've always wanted to meet Musk so that I could lavish praise and admiration on him for his amazing achievements and business genius...capping it off by revealing I'm only talking about PayPal.
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 17 Jul 2018, 12:25

Jennifer wrote:
16 Jul 2018, 15:48
nicole wrote:
16 Jul 2018, 15:43
Haha you know that's a former H&R commenter right
And a former Gryllperson, to the forum's eternal chagrin.
Yes, I know who it is. ffs.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 17 Jul 2018, 12:29

Jasper wrote:
17 Jul 2018, 12:25
Jennifer wrote:
16 Jul 2018, 15:48
nicole wrote:
16 Jul 2018, 15:43
Haha you know that's a former H&R commenter right
And a former Gryllperson, to the forum's eternal chagrin.
Yes, I know who it is. ffs.
Ken Shultz? Randian? Dan T.?
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 17 Jul 2018, 12:39

Spoiler: it's David Watkins

"NB stands for nota bene do not @ me" - nicole

Mo

Post by Mo » 17 Jul 2018, 16:59

I love how his Boring Company thing in Chicago moves as many people in an hour as a single subway car carries.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Mo

Post by Mo » 17 Jul 2018, 17:01

Highway wrote:
Jadagul wrote:
Highway wrote:
16 Jul 2018, 13:42
Warren wrote:
16 Jul 2018, 13:33
Musk is showing all the signs of coming apart.
He totally is. And so are his companies. Apparently Tesla Solar (nee SolarCity) is really tanking, and was tanking before being "bought out" by Tesla. Tesla cars is also now losing their per vehicle subsidy (since they've sold enough vehicles), and there's still a lot of skepticism about their actual construction, with them "certifying" 5000 cars in one week by constructing them in tents and certifying #5000 at 4 AM on Sunday. Noone will be surprised if they drop back down under 3000 cars per week for an indefinite future. Basically, all of Musk's promises are coming back to him, and there's less excuse making that's got traction now.
Musk has always been an overpromising asshole. Both Hyperloop and the Boring Company are things that basically can't work. It's not quite to the level of "I'm going to found a company to design a perpetual motion machine. Some haters doubt me, but I believe in the power of technology and engineering ingenuity." But it's close.

Tesla and SpaceX are both things that actually could be done, so they were more successful. But Tesla is now at the point where the main challenges are boring grunt work like hammering out a supply chain and optimizing the assembly line by .2%. And that doesn't seem to be what Musk is interested in in any way.
Yeah, the thing has always been that he promises stuff that nobody could deliver on, then when he doesn't deliver on half of it, it's "Well, nobody could do that." But his problems have been that he's promised things that 1) other companies do and 2) are things that his companies definitely NEED to do. 5000 cars per week is a huge one. And he's now been putting that off for about a year, and distracting people with "Hey look, a flamethrower! Hey look, a semi-truck! Hey look, a new roadster!" But now the real money behind his company is starting to be like "Hey, that's all cool, but where's my car? Where's my profitability? And that completely self-serving SolarCity move did NOT help his reputation among those folks at all. Everyone saw it for what it was: A bailout of his badly failing company by his not-yet-failing company to (not really) hide the fact that it was failing.
Come on, no one has figured out how to mass produce cars yet.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 18 Jul 2018, 00:42

I occasionally forget that Tesla is a borderline scam since there are so many Model S sedans on the road here. If 50% of the US sales are California, Phoenix must make up about 35% of sales. If I'm out and about, I see many of them.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

The sun only shines when a woman is being sexually abused. - Warren

Shem

Post by Shem » 18 Jul 2018, 01:21

It really is a solid car, it's just being held hostage by the same "I'll get where I'm going by being an asshole, not by accommodating even a little bit" Silicon Valley spirit that's made Uber into such a tire fire. Perfect example; they spent all that time trying to fight dealerships because they didn't want to join the old guard. Which, to be fair, is a particularly stifling cartel system, especially on a local level. It's also a proven way to sell cars, something that the CEO of an auto manufacturing company should probably be interested in, especially when he's already got a million other battles he has to carry out to roll out an entirely new technology with pretty much no infrastructure. But nope, let's spend years fighting and wind up with a few dealerships in each state. He'd rather be known as a failure who took an old world down with him than as a success who made compromises when he had to. Hence, the Bond villain.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

JD

Post by JD » 23 Jul 2018, 11:06

"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 23 Jul 2018, 15:19

If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 23 Jul 2018, 15:24

That is some low rent sht. Even when Don did it he wasn't relying on repeat supply from same provider he stiffed.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 23 Jul 2018, 15:51

Look, all I want to do is drive a zero-emission Tesla, stop at a Theranos diagnostic center for some routine bloodwork on my way to work, then go sell real estate on a valuation commensurate with WeWork's market value per square foot. And use my earnings to buy a ticket into space so I can participate in a Space Opera fantasy.

Is that sort of future too much to ask for?
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

Warren

Post by Warren » 23 Jul 2018, 18:35

thoreau wrote:
23 Jul 2018, 15:51
Look, all I want to do is drive a zero-emission Tesla, stop at a Theranos diagnostic center for some routine bloodwork on my way to work, then go sell real estate on a valuation commensurate with WeWork's market value per square foot. And use my earnings to buy a ticket into space so I can participate in a Space Opera fantasy.

Do you have a penis?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 23 Jul 2018, 19:37

Ouch, I felt actual vicarious embarrassment reading that. "Hey, remember that money I paid you for goods and services rendered? Please give a bunch of it back so I can say I'm making a profit." WTF?

I feel like my snarky little summary there MUST be missing some fine point of business practice and acumen.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 23 Jul 2018, 20:48

Warren wrote:
23 Jul 2018, 18:35
thoreau wrote:

Do you have a penis?
You offering?
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 23 Jul 2018, 21:14

*shows up in the thread with popcorn*
"NB stands for nota bene do not @ me" - nicole

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 23 Jul 2018, 21:20

Warren wrote:
thoreau wrote:

Do you have a penis?
I bought it off this guy by St. Mark's Place for $17.
--Shem

Shem

Post by Shem » 23 Jul 2018, 21:54

Anybody care to start a pool on when Musk goes full MAGA hat?
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 23 Jul 2018, 22:08

Shem wrote:
23 Jul 2018, 21:54
MMGA - "Make Mars Great Again"

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 23 Jul 2018, 22:57

Aresen wrote:
23 Jul 2018, 22:08
Shem wrote:
Inner felota ke.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 24 Jul 2018, 00:13

Kolohe wrote:
23 Jul 2018, 22:57
Aresen wrote:
Shem wrote:
Inner felota ke.
I give up. What does "Inner felota ke" mean? (I have a feeling I am going to regret asking.)

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 24 Jul 2018, 11:34

Aresen wrote:
24 Jul 2018, 00:13
Kolohe wrote:
23 Jul 2018, 22:57
Aresen wrote:
Shem wrote:
Inner felota ke.
I give up. What does "Inner felota ke" mean? (I have a feeling I am going to regret asking.)
To pochuye tumang ke?
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex