Does Elon's Musk stink?

JD

Re: Does Elon's Musk stink?

Post by JD » 09 May 2018, 16:54

Jasper wrote:
04 May 2018, 11:11
I don't follow Musk news at all, really, and I've no idea how he comes across in presentation in both social media or business, or even if his business ventures thus far are profitable. But I do gotta admire a guy who basically said "fuck you, I'll do it my way" to all the people who told him his ideas would never work. Same goes for Branson and Bezos to some extent.
I'm one of those who hasn't really drunk the Musk-aide. He got rich by creating and selling a couple software companies. Great. Since then he has basically launched a bunch of vanity projects. I'm not against that - he can do whatever he wants with his money, and I'm glad he's doing something more interesting than just playing golf or whatever - but in the judgement of the market, Zip2 and Paypal were interesting and worthwhile, and SpaceX and Tesla are rather less so. He displays the typical hubris of the guy who got rich and then decides he is a genius at everything, instead of at the specific thing that he was actually successful at.
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 09 May 2018, 17:12

Musk is a genius. At two things.

The first thing he's a genius at is some charismatic combination of fundraising and inspiration. He's clearly great at getting people invested in his projects, on both professional and personal levels.

The second, and related, thing that he's a genius at is somehow convincing people that he actually does any of the engineering work.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 09 May 2018, 17:26

You left out "genius at abusing government subsidies."
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

The sun only shines when a woman is being sexually abused. - Warren

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 09 May 2018, 17:40

Is he a genius at that? I'm sure he does it, but I don't happen to know of anything particularly special he's achieved in that field.

Which doesn't mean it's not there, of course. Although I might still stuff that into "fundraising."

Highway

Post by Highway » 09 May 2018, 17:44

I think SpaceX should get a bit more credit than any of the other things he's been involved in, since it seems to be the project that actually has had the result of reducing costs for launch into space without hiding a lot of the costs behind government subsidies. Yes, they're getting money from the government, but that's fee for service.

And PayPal is such a horrible company, I'm really loathe to give anyone kudos for ever having been involved in it (even though a good friend of mine works for them).
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

JD

Post by JD » 09 May 2018, 17:50

Jadagul wrote:
09 May 2018, 17:12
Musk is a genius. At two things.

The first thing he's a genius at is some charismatic combination of fundraising and inspiration. He's clearly great at getting people invested in his projects, on both professional and personal levels.

The second, and related, thing that he's a genius at is somehow convincing people that he actually does any of the engineering work.
True that. He is excellent at getting people excited and getting his name out there, and that is not something to sneeze at.
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 09 May 2018, 17:55

Highway wrote:
09 May 2018, 17:44
I think SpaceX should get a bit more credit than any of the other things he's been involved in, since it seems to be the project that actually has had the result of reducing costs for launch into space without hiding a lot of the costs behind government subsidies. Yes, they're getting money from the government, but that's fee for service.

And PayPal is such a horrible company, I'm really loathe to give anyone kudos for ever having been involved in it (even though a good friend of mine works for them).
Some of his companies have done excellent stuff. And it's reasonable to give him credit for that. But you should credit him as a leader and as a fundraiser, not as an engineer.

People unironically compare the dude to Tony Stark. It's pretty silly.

Highway

Post by Highway » 09 May 2018, 18:07

Yeah, I wouldn't give him any credit for being an engineer. He's an idea guy and a promotion guy. Some ideas he has are good, some are bad. Some methods of promotion he uses are good, some are bad.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 09 May 2018, 18:28

Yeah, he's just a slightly less-well-dressed Steve Jobs.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 10 May 2018, 08:17

Highway wrote:
09 May 2018, 17:44

Cosign SpaceX, but that also could be I just like the idea of private spaceflight companies.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

Mo

Post by Mo » 10 May 2018, 10:25

PayPal was not successful because of Musk. It was successful because it was the exclusive acceptance mark for the #2 ecommerce site in the world. Without eBay, PayPal is DOA.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Mo

Post by Mo » 10 May 2018, 10:28

SpaceX is amazing, Tesla is less so.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 10 May 2018, 12:26

Mo wrote:
10 May 2018, 10:25
PayPal was not successful because of Musk. It was successful because it was the exclusive acceptance mark for the #2 ecommerce site in the world. Without eBay, PayPal is DOA.
IOW. it's not what you know, but who you know.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Mo

Post by Mo » 10 May 2018, 14:16

Aresen wrote:
10 May 2018, 12:26
Mo wrote:
One thing I would say, in PayPal's defense, is that they were the #1 acceptance mark on eBay before getting acquired. But without being lashed to eBay, they would have collapsed under the weight of fraud charges.

Highway

Post by Highway » 10 May 2018, 15:28

Mo wrote:
10 May 2018, 14:16
Aresen wrote:
10 May 2018, 12:26
Mo wrote:
One thing I would say, in PayPal's defense, is that they were the #1 acceptance mark on eBay before getting acquired. But without being lashed to eBay, they would have collapsed under the weight of fraud charges.
Yeah, PayPal was a huge thing with eBay before they were bought by eBay. And they were a shitty company then. It wasn't just being owned by eBay (another shitty company) that did it.

Mo

Post by Mo » 10 May 2018, 15:49

eBay had a competitor to PayPal and had they banned PayPal and stuck to it, they would have smothered it in the crib. :)

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 10 May 2018, 17:18

eBay basically used a bunch of legal pressure to force PayPal to sell out.

dhex

Post by dhex » 10 May 2018, 21:53

Hey now everyone knows who grimes is so I guess that's something.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 10 May 2018, 21:56

dhex wrote:
10 May 2018, 21:53
The purple thing that Ronald McDonald hangs out with?
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

The sun only shines when a woman is being sexually abused. - Warren

Jake

Post by Jake » 11 May 2018, 00:07

Andrew wrote:
10 May 2018, 21:56
dhex wrote:
The purple thing that Ronald McDonald hangs out with?
No, it's these:

Crossed with these:
"Facebook is like a locker room with all the players screaming at each other how much they have to win and then forgetting they have to take the field and actually play the gawddamn game." -- D.A. Ridgely

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 11 May 2018, 02:38

dhex wrote:
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Warren

Post by Warren » 11 May 2018, 08:00

his friends called him 'Grimy'.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

dhex

Post by dhex » 11 May 2018, 08:29

i'm not sure prog rock fans have the room to make fun of artist names.

also none of you posted a picture of grimace which is frankly the most disappointing part of this.

actually the most disappointing part of this is all sorts of people are talking about elon musk's dick. that's just awful.

we had better lives once.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

JD

Post by JD » 11 May 2018, 10:43

This article does seem to have a bit of an axe to grind, but the title is great: Tesla Doesn't Burn Fuel, It Burns Cash

as is this graphic (hopefully allowing hotlinking):

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 11 May 2018, 10:51

JD wrote:
11 May 2018, 10:43
This article does seem to have a bit of an axe to grind, but the title is great: Tesla Doesn't Burn Fuel, It Burns Cash
I loved this bit:
Tesla has spent $14,001 since you started reading this story.
(The number was an increasing dollar clock.)
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex