Does Elon's Musk stink?

thoreau

Re: Does Elon's Musk stink?

Post by thoreau » 04 Apr 2017, 20:44

As libertarians, aren't we obligated to believe in billionaires who say that they have the solution to our transportation problems?
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

Warren

Post by Warren » 05 Apr 2017, 01:55

thoreau wrote:As libertarians, aren't we obligated to believe in billionaires who say that they have the solution to our transportation problems?
I'm going to have to ask for your monocle.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 05 Dec 2017, 12:24

I'll just leave this here:

If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

Warren

Post by Warren » 15 Dec 2017, 10:45

NASA is riding on Space X. Now that they're taking fares, they could change their name to Space Uber... Spuber.
I like it!
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 06 Feb 2018, 15:26

They're about to launch a tesla into space

eta, cmon guys cheering in the background of the webcast, act like you've been there before.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Highway

Post by Highway » 06 Feb 2018, 16:00

Yeah, but that's all peanut gallery, isn't it? So it's like any sports fans.

Are they planning on recovering the side boosters as well as the core for those?
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Mo

Post by Mo » 06 Feb 2018, 16:01

They did.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 06 Feb 2018, 16:03

The booster landing was impressive. Though I still can't wrap my head around retro rockets as the best landing technique.
Any word on whether they got the core?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 06 Feb 2018, 16:04

That may have been the only two they did. (I only realized about a second before the hosts called it out that the double shot from the booster was actually a shot from each individual booster. The lineup symetry was remarkable)
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 06 Feb 2018, 16:19

They tried for core, but no word yet on whether it landed on the robobarge. I'm guessing it crashed, based on the radio silence.

The two boosters landing simultaneously was The Future.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 06 Feb 2018, 16:23

The boosters landing side by side was amazing.

Seems odd they wouldn't have more cameras on the chase ships for the drone pad.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 06 Feb 2018, 16:30

Jasper wrote:
06 Feb 2018, 16:23

Seems odd they wouldn't have more cameras on the chase ships for the drone pad.
Ships? Plural?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 06 Feb 2018, 16:48

During the countdown to the launch, on the live stream, one wide shot (prob from aerial drone, but maybe stock footage) showed two tug-sized boats station keeping off the robo landing pad ship.

Mo

Post by Mo » 06 Feb 2018, 16:59

Sandy wrote:
06 Feb 2018, 16:19
They tried for core, but no word yet on whether it landed on the robobarge. I'm guessing it crashed, based on the radio silence.

The two boosters landing simultaneously was The Future.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 06 Feb 2018, 17:11

Kolohe wrote:
06 Feb 2018, 16:48
During the countdown to the launch, on the live stream, one wide shot (prob from aerial drone, but maybe stock footage) showed two tug-sized boats station keeping off the robo landing pad ship.
Huh. There's no reason to have lost feed from them.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 06 Feb 2018, 18:37

Jasper wrote:
I'm still amazed that the state of the art is, "No, really, landing rockets on their tails like a 50s SF book cover? We can totally do that."
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Warren

Post by Warren » 06 Feb 2018, 18:39

Eric the .5b wrote:
06 Feb 2018, 18:37
Jasper wrote:
I'm still amazed that the state of the art is, "No, really, landing rockets on their tails like a 50s SF book cover? We can totally do that."
It's not so much that we can do that, as it is "We decided that's the best way to do it".
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 06 Feb 2018, 18:48

Warren wrote:
06 Feb 2018, 18:39
Eric the .5b wrote:
Jasper wrote:
It's not so much that we can do that, as it is "We decided that's the best way to do it".
Well, all you have to do is carry extra fuel (OK not trivial) processors for controlling descent, and some basic landing gear, whereas other landing methods require more extensive systems. I mean, we've done parachutes for the SRBs, and great big wing and airplane thing for the rest of the Shuttle.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 06 Feb 2018, 18:52

It seems plausible to me that Musk's way could be cheaper, because of less you have overhaul between launches i.e. the shuttle SRBs landing in seawater after every use.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 06 Feb 2018, 19:01

Kolohe wrote:
06 Feb 2018, 18:52
It seems plausible to me that Musk's way could be cheaper, because of less you have overhaul between launches i.e. the shuttle SRBs landing in seawater after every use.
Certainly; I assume they have decent reasons for doing it.

I don't assume they're utterly right, but finding out is the point of trying new approaches. I just never expected this one.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Highway

Post by Highway » 06 Feb 2018, 19:01

lunchstealer wrote:
06 Feb 2018, 18:48
Warren wrote:
06 Feb 2018, 18:39
Eric the .5b wrote:
Jasper wrote:
Well, all you have to do is carry extra fuel (OK not trivial) processors for controlling descent, and some basic landing gear, whereas other landing methods require more extensive systems. I mean, we've done parachutes for the SRBs, and great big wing and airplane thing for the rest of the Shuttle.
It's not necessarily "the" best way, but they decided it's the best way that they could engineer right now (they started out with the "parachutes and splashdowns" paradigm, and decided fairly quickly that that was not the way to go) . And really, for as short as the burns are on the landing, you really wonder how much "extra" fuel they have to carry. And even if it's the widely reported "30% of lift capacity", remember that the Falcon 9 has gone from a 10-ton lift capacity to a 23 ton lift capacity with just internal improvements to the boosters. There's probably been some increase in the amount of fuel required to whoa it down from higher speeds as they access more orbits, but it's not like the rocket has gotten commensurately heavier with the increase in payload capacity.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 06 Feb 2018, 19:18

I am skeptical that the powered landing of the Falcon rockets will save money.
1) As others have said, the extra fuel to power the landing has to be carried on the liftoff, adding to the weight.
2) The rocket, fuel tanks and structural supports all have to be larger to carry the extra weight and thus weigh more themselves, compounding your weight problem.
3) The manufacturing of the rocket has to be more robust to withstand the greater stresses and the prolonged stress due the extra run time.
4) After each launch, the rockets are going to need extensive overhaul to make them ready to go again. This will be a significant fraction of the original cost of manufacture. (Ex recto, I'd be surprised if the cost of the overhaul was under 40% of the original cost.)
5) Related to 4): How many launch cycles would a rocket be good for? [Would you buy a used rocket from Elon Musk?]
6) The recovery platforms are going to be more expensive than the recovery of a disposable booster in terms of construction, maintenance and operation.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 06 Feb 2018, 20:07

Sure "Life on Mars" is a better song, but Musk needs to show a little respect and play Radar Rider.
Last edited by Fin Fang Foom on 06 Feb 2018, 20:54, edited 1 time in total.
". . . even the federalist folk are probably a bit wary, and they're essentially cosplaying the preacher from footloose." - dhex

Highway

Post by Highway » 06 Feb 2018, 20:10

Aresen wrote:
06 Feb 2018, 19:18
I am skeptical that the powered landing of the Falcon rockets will save money.
1) As others have said, the extra fuel to power the landing has to be carried on the liftoff, adding to the weight.
2) The rocket, fuel tanks and structural supports all have to be larger to carry the extra weight and thus weigh more themselves, compounding your weight problem.
3) The manufacturing of the rocket has to be more robust to withstand the greater stresses and the prolonged stress due the extra run time.
4) After each launch, the rockets are going to need extensive overhaul to make them ready to go again. This will be a significant fraction of the original cost of manufacture. (Ex recto, I'd be surprised if the cost of the overhaul was under 40% of the original cost.)
5) Related to 4): How many launch cycles would a rocket be good for? [Would you buy a used rocket from Elon Musk?]
6) The recovery platforms are going to be more expensive than the recovery of a disposable booster in terms of construction, maintenance and operation.
You can be skeptical, but the prices that SpaceX is charging for launches are significantly cheaper than United Launch Alliance's costs. All-up costs of around 100 million dollars for a military launch on SpaceX, versus 420+ million on ULA. They've induced ULA to cut prices on Atlas launches to 100 million to try to keep market share (and those are comparable to a Falcon 9 launch, which SpaceX lists as a 62 million dollar cost).

I would imagine that a lot of your additional costs aren't as much as you think. For instance, it's not like they'd make the rocket significantly cheaper or less substantial if they weren't trying to recover it. It would just have a higher rated lift capacity. So there's little marginal cost to making it reusable from a "we need a bigger rocket". The rocket is the rocket. And if the rocket is not consuming itself during the launches, then there may not be much in the way of refurbishment needed. This is especially true if they can recover it dry. And even if they cost of the overhaul was 50%, and they could only use it one more time (which apparently has not been the case), then you're getting two launches for 150% of the price of 1 launch, so that's already a significant cost savings. If they can continue to launch the same rocket at a 50% cost saving, it's a 50% cost saving. That's huge. But I have a feeling that they're probably 1) cheaper than that to refurbish, and 2) cheaper in the first place.

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 06 Feb 2018, 22:07

Time will tell. I don't expect the cost of a visit to the Mare Tranquillitatis Resort is ever going to be in my price range.

TBS, a million year from now, when kittens replace us as the dominant life form in the solar system, I wonder what they are going to think when they find a Tesla orbiting Mars.