OFFS: The Forsakening

JasonL

Re: OFFS: The Forsakening

Post by JasonL »

Yeah, you get skyr, this kinda blah lamb soup, gimmick foods like the fermented shark and ... hotdogs and hamburgers. Also bread. Good bread culture.

Highway

Post by Highway »

I love cheap hotdogs. With ketchup.

mmmmmmmm.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

I differentiate for no particular reason between condiments such as mustard, ketchup, mayonnaise, etc. and toppings such as cheese, onions, peppers, etc. I do actually prefer ordinary yellow mustard on ordinary Hebrew National hotdogs and anyone who doesn't like it can promptly fuck off. Chopped onions are perfectly acceptable on hotdogs, too. I don't understand relish. I just don't.

There was a time when I actually thought chili-dogs were good. And I suppose they still are if you get them at Ben's Chili Bowl. Otherwise, no.

Aresen

Post by Aresen »

Can we at least agree that boiled hot dogs are an abomination?
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

Aresen wrote:
13 Jul 2020, 19:11
I hated hot dogs for decades. I'm fairly certain that the trauma of boiled hot dogs are why.
"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

"That's just tokenism with extra steps." - Jake

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

lunchstealer wrote:
13 Jul 2020, 19:53
Aresen wrote:
I hated hot dogs for decades. I'm fairly certain that the trauma of boiled hot dogs are why.
In the same way one can occasionally get a craving for McDonalds, I think anyone who grew up or worked in a major city can't help but occasionally get a craving for a dirty water hotdog. This was Anthony Bourdain's take, too, so it may be irrational but it isn't uncommon.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

I like natural casing dogs. The snap is really appealing, for whatever reason. But it's most noticeable when the dog is steamed or microwaved.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

JD

Post by JD »

Aresen wrote:
Oh, is this going to be the new mayo? Look, I agree that grilled hot dogs are really nice. But I also think there's nothing wrong with a boiled dog.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

Shem

Post by Shem »

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
13 Jul 2020, 21:07
lunchstealer wrote:
13 Jul 2020, 19:53
Aresen wrote:
In the same way one can occasionally get a craving for McDonalds, I think anyone who grew up or worked in a major city can't help but occasionally get a craving for a dirty water hotdog. This was Anthony Bourdain's take, too, so it may be irrational but it isn't uncommon.
I feel like it's important to distinguish between street side steamed hot dogs (which are sometimes a solid craving) and boiled at home hot dogs (which are a greasy nightmare).
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis »

Aresen wrote:
Indeed.

If we aren't applying fire directly our preferred method is to cut down the middle of the dog, spread apart and pan fry.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Highway

Post by Highway »

dead_elvis wrote:
14 Jul 2020, 12:00
Aresen wrote:
Indeed.

If we aren't applying fire directly our preferred method is to cut down the middle of the dog, spread apart and pan fry.
Ugh, I hate those. It's not even a hotdog at that point. It's something that's... badly fried, like a fried baloney sandwich.

I prefer to do a quick boil reheat in a skillet, then pour the water out and put the hotdogs back in the pan and brown them a little. Better than a microwave, too, with less chance of microwave hotspots/dryouts/splits.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Warren

Post by Warren »

Highway wrote:
14 Jul 2020, 12:34
dead_elvis wrote:
Aresen wrote:
Indeed.

Ugh, I hate those. It's not even a hotdog at that point. It's something that's... badly fried, like a fried baloney sandwich.
Amen. I'd sooner eat fried baloney even because at least it's sliced thin.

If I'm not grilling them, and I'm usually not, I steam them on the stove top.

Also, I will totally use canned chili for my chilidogs. #noshame.

The best dog is my version of Chicago style. Finely chopped onions, dill relish, mustard (preferably spicy brown, but yellow is acceptable, yellow over Dijon even, but NEVER horseradish) celery seed if you can get it otherwise celery salt, tomato wedges, and short peppers (optional).

Sweet relish is an abomination. I go with dill relish over dill spears, but if your bun can hold it, a proper sized spear is really good.
The best hot dog buns are Pepperidge Farm top sliced buns.

I like a natural casing, but it's no biggie. Indeed the argle bargle over best dog is a bit :roll: to me. Just about any all beef frank is good to go. The toppings are everything, the dog just needs to be good enough. Indeed, the difference between Oscar Mayer Angus uncured beef franks and your artisanal, organic, glutton free, locally sourced alternative is not worth the difference between home grown and hot house tomatoes.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

All this talk makes me want a half-smoke from Ben's Chili Bowl.

(If you don't know what a half-smoke is, that's okay; it's a Washington area thing.)

Shem

Post by Shem »

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
14 Jul 2020, 16:23

(If you don't know what a half-smoke is, that's okay; it's a Washington area thing.)
As opposed to the Denver half-smoke, which is completely different ;)
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen »

People that whine about bbq are the first up against the fucking wall if I take power. Bunch of fucking weirdos! The lot of you!!!
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen »

IT'S A FUCKING HOTDOG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NO ONE CARES ABOUT YOUR VERSION OF BBQ!!! JUST MAKE THE SHIT IF YOU ARE GOING TO TALK ABOUT IT AND THEN SHUT THE FUCK UP!!!! YOU'RE PROBABLY A SHIT GRILLER BECAUSE ANYONE THAT BRAGS ABOUT THEIR GRILL IS A FUCKING LOSER!!!!!

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen »

Not that I'm upset or anything. Just something I needed to put out there for you weirdos.

dhex

Post by dhex »

I like that what started as a gangrenous dick joke evolved into a conversation about the best way to eat cased meats.
"i ran over the cat and didnt stop just carried on with tears in my eyes joose driving my way to work." - God

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis »

Highway wrote:
dead_elvis wrote:
Aresen wrote:
Indeed.

Warren wrote:
14 Jul 2020, 16:15

In any food the fried bits are the best bits,
and splitting a dog in half gets one twice as much fried area (though not as much as fried baloney),
QED
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul »

I don't fry them, but I pan-sear them. And butterflying is so much more effective there. It way more than doubles surface area in contact with the pan, because if you put a hot dog in a pan most of it isn't touching the pan.

And then you get to put your condiments in the open wedge, and it's just generally better.

Warren

Post by Warren »

dead_elvis wrote:
14 Jul 2020, 20:47
Highway wrote:
dead_elvis wrote:
Aresen wrote:
Indeed.

Warren wrote:
14 Jul 2020, 16:15

In any food the fried bits are the best bits,
and splitting a dog in half gets one twice as much fried area (though not as much as fried baloney),
QED
When you fry dogs the fat does some weird chemical transformation that turns it into the consistency of snot so that it becomes coated in a slimy snot jacket and it tastes like you wish it was actual snot.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Jake

Post by Jake »

> Be me
> Live in Germany for two years
> Return to US
> Be faced with a life dominated by the hot dog instead of the Nürnberger bratwurst
> Try to find reason to continue living
"One doesn't want to be a Chicken Little but OTOH does the sky look closer to you? It looks closer to me." -- Warren

Aresen

Post by Aresen »

Jake wrote:
14 Jul 2020, 23:12
> Be me
> Return to US
> Be faced with a life dominated by the hot dog instead of the Nürnberger bratwurst
The national home of sauerkraut is not where I'd go looking for cuisine.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Jake

Post by Jake »

Aresen wrote:
15 Jul 2020, 00:01
Jake wrote:
14 Jul 2020, 23:12
> Be me
> Return to US
The national home of sauerkraut is not where I'd go looking for cuisine.
German sauerkraut : North American sauerkraut :: French wine : penitentiary toilet wine
"One doesn't want to be a Chicken Little but OTOH does the sky look closer to you? It looks closer to me." -- Warren

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

Shem wrote:
14 Jul 2020, 17:05
D.A. Ridgely wrote:
14 Jul 2020, 16:23

As opposed to the Denver half-smoke, which is completely different ;)
lol as if it's ever less than whole smoke
"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

"That's just tokenism with extra steps." - Jake